Duke4.net Forums: New rig I'm getting - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New rig I'm getting  "It's about bloody time"

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDescent, on Feb 17 2011, 02:45 PM, said:

I have all kinds of issues. I have to use a third party Direct3D9 renderer for Unreal Tournament, and I have smooth scrolling problems with Kega Fusion. FreeSpace 2 Open is a mess at times, certain lighting causes killer framerate drops, and in nebular battles I have framerate drops and micro stuttering when around capital ships. Even Source games have serious micro stuttering with HDR enabled, and minor stuttering with it off. The guns in source games also don't move smoothly from side to side as you walk, they pop and judder. EDGE (Enhanced Doom Gaming Engine) and QuakeLive are the only "old-school" products that seem to work. Haven't tested Duke yet on this guy.

I have a GTX 460, and I only get one of those problems. (Using third-party D3D renderer with UT '99)
Though, this was necessary even on my older 9800 GT.

Everything else runs fine, such as Kega Fusion, and the Source Engine games.
Something tells me there is something else wrong. Might be a hardware incompatibility, some majorly fucked up drivers(not necessarily video), or some other issue. What OS are you running on, what kind of motherboard do you have, and what video driver version?

btw, I have had nothing but trouble with ATI. Fried cards(2 so far, fan stopped even when not dirty or seized.), horrible framerates and extreme compatibility issues in OpenGL applications, catalyst control center crashing or not opening at all, and artifacting even if the card is fine.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 11 March 2011 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

I doubt it's a hardware incompatibility.

Kega Fusion gave me issues on my old 8800GT and my laptops GTX 260m as well. Instead of scrolling smoothly you have a slight pop where the pixel resets to it's original position, causing blur.

FreeSpace 2 Open I'm willing to cut some slack on because the renderer is a mess and is being retooled, but it still slows down at odd times.

I'm using an XFX nVidia nForce 750a SLi board, XMS2 RAM, Corsair 750w PSU, not exactly crappy components, although I hate this fucking motherboard. It's got bitching coil whine but it Prime 95'd fine for 48 hours so I'm just gonna live with it.

And yeah I've tried everything from uninstalling drivers to using Driver Sweeper. Nothing works, it's jacked, to be honest. I've had these issues with two seperate driver builds, three if you include their near finished beta. The newer ones are better but the problems are there, just less pronounced. Also, with the PCI-E slots in x8 or x16 mode there is zero difference.

And I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, no shitware installed.

This post has been edited by Descent: 11 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

P67 Sandy Bridge mobos are now available again on Newegg! Though, they're currently listed as out of stock but the ETA is that they're coming on Monday. Which is just around the time my money comes in and I can finally order the rest of my computer and get it shipped!

• The Sarien Encounter

Finally was able to place my order! Now the waiting begins.....or....continues, I guess.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 March 2011 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDescent, on Mar 11 2011, 02:27 PM, said:

And I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, no shitware installed.

I just got mine. AMD with FirePro, for playing AutoDesk progs. I'm starting to think that Windows7 is the shitware. That is now my second computer on 7 that gives surprising results once you overwrite those pre-installed drivers. ;)

• The Sarien Encounter

This box needs some RAM!! That's the only thing left to put in.

Posted Image

User is offline   Jeff 

Nice setup you've got there.

• The Sarien Encounter

So the RAM finally got here but one of the sticks was DOA. Now I have to send BOTH back to get replaced and hope that the replacements aren't DOA either...more money down the drain. And I STILL cant use my new computer.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

What a pain in the cock, man. Sorry you've had so much trouble getting your new rig together! At least you know it'll be worth it, heh.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah. On the upside, I tried out EDuke32 with Polymer on it with the one stick of RAM and it runs a smooth as silk!

User is offline   Jeff 

You won't be disappointed. This machine just eats video encoding for breakfast. Made a 1080p 30 Mbps FSX video with 5.1 surround sound, and the whole thing encoded in roughly 20 minutes (video was around 6 minutes). The program I was using to encode it takes advantage of CUDA GPU encoding as well as the CPU, so it's a beast.

There's probably other uses for it, such as Crysis or similar games.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options