Duke4.net Forums: New rig I'm getting - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New rig I'm getting  "It's about bloody time"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

After some meticulous research, review-reading, advice-asking work I've settled on a new set of specs for my new system which is a long time coming! Considering the last computer I bought was in 2003 this will be a refreshing change. I can barely run things like Bioshock at a decent framerate with medium to low settings. This must end now.

I should have the money for this stuff in the next month or so. I'm super psyched! I was going to get a 28" Hanns-G monitor but they ran out of stock. Maybe they'll get some back once I actually have the money....

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I'll bet your current setup is better than mine. :P

I've heard excellent things about Sandy Bridge, but there's some fallacy about waiting a long time for upgrade/updates because there will always be another upgrade, etc. Good luck!

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

How much $$ is that going to set you back? I thinking about getting a new rig for myself, but I don't think I can afford it right now.

• The Sarien Encounter

Actually, I've changed this list again since I've posted it. The current price is hovering around $1480-$1620 CAD after mail-in rebates depending on which PSU I choose. I completely forgot about the extra wattage required if I plan on going SLI in the future (which I do). I also went with the Sandy Bridge which required a mobo change and in turn a RAM change. Here's a new working list:

This one comes out to $1620 after mail-in rebates, though I'll probably hold off on the monitor for a bit. It's funny how much you realise you need and have to change stuff afterwards. I went with an EVGA card because it has a lifetime warranty, it's cheaper after the mail-in rebate, and the core and shader clocks are actually faster. Otherwise pretty much exactly the same specs as the MSI.

I was going to buy it piece by piece, but it turns out I'll have some extra cash to throw into this since I'm also going to be using it as a recording studio computer.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 15 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

Looks reasonable, if you're going to use it in a recording studio you might want to think about liquid cooling down the line.

Personally though I would wait until Intel's next "tick" - they will bring out a new Sandy Bridge in Q4 which is merely a smaller fabrication, at this point the price of the hardware you want will drop.

I'm thinking of getting a new rig myself this year, machine I am on now is starting to show it's age a little.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostHigh Treason, on Jan 16 2011, 03:29 AM, said:

Looks reasonable, if you're going to use it in a recording studio you might want to think about liquid cooling down the line.

Why? The bulk of the sound processing will take place in the interface which is outside the computer.

Personally though I would wait until Intel's next "tick" - they will bring out a new Sandy Bridge in Q4 which is merely a smaller fabrication, at this point the price of the hardware you want will drop.

Yeah, but that quickly turns into "oh just wait a little longer until the next NEXT tick" and the next and the next. I can always change the cpu later if I want. I assume all Sandy Bridge processors will have the 1155 socket type.

Maybe you won't have issues with noise, it's just from my personal experience... but then most of my systems sound like diesel generators or something and I assume yours will not.

I'm not certain that the next lot of CPU's will be on the same socket (The early P3 was different to the later P3, the old P4 was different to the new P4 and so on) but the hardware you want will not be vastly exceded by that point, I'm only suggesting waiting as you may be able to buy better hardware out of what is currently available once the new hardware appears. Once again, it's just from my own experience - it usually works out cheaper, but on second thoughts, the economy is screwed anyway so that isn't guaranteed anymore.

• The Sarien Encounter

Maybe your right. But I'm just so tired of working off of this old P4. I need to upgrade. I've had it since 2003 or so! I'm tired of being behind. Gotta jump in sometime.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

750W power supply... I would go with a slightly bigger one, especially if you intend to do overclocking. Although that's just me, it'd probably be just fine, I don't have an i7, I have a standard Q6600 quad core. It's a 2.4 GHz that I have clocked to 3.4 GHz, which was choking my 650W power supply with crashes, so I moved up to 900W and there's no problems. Then again, I am running two 1GB video cards in SLI, and one of them comes with a factory clock of 700 MHz (overclocked). So that could've been my problem there. I just recommend doing some more research there, you can never be too careful with stuff that expensive.

Edit:
Oh and about that lifetime warranty, don't bank on it lasting forever, I got a NVIDIA BFG 9800 512 MB video card that HAD lifetime warranty, until BFG went under. Although EVGA is doing okay, so maybe I just ended up with a raw deal.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 16 January 2011 - 06:49 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I've been doing so much research on this that I'm still going back and changing everything. I just found out my RAM isn't test on this motherboard so I have to pick another set. I've already gone up from 650W to 750W and I just don't have the money to go higher. I can buy another PSU later if need be (if I go SLI). For now it should be fine. And either way, the EVGA is still better because it was cheaper than the other card I had picked out with the same features http://forums2.duke4...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif.

User is offline   Omni 

To bad you missed the NewEgg Shellshocker today. it was that MB +6 gigs of ram for like 230 US

User is offline   Hank 

View PostOmni, on Jan 17 2011, 07:03 PM, said:

To bad you missed the NewEgg Shellshocker today. it was that MB +6 gigs of ram for like 230 US

In Canada they have a thirty day money/replacement guaranty, too short, in my opinion, for hard ware. What's your experience with them? I know off-topic, but I'm curious.

• The Sarien Encounter

I've never had to return anything. My buddy and I bought parts for our studio computer in the past from NewEgg and everything went smoothly.

User is offline   Jeff 

When I had mine built, they called me yesterday and said that there were some issues with the DDR3 1600 RAM (crashes & such), so they put in some DDR3 1333 and everything is fine. They told me that 1600 MHz RAM isn't officially supported for Sandy Bridge.

I should be able to pick up my system tomorrow. Was also going to add, you have the same CPU cooler as me.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 18 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

That's what I'm discovering as well. It says it supports it in overclocked mode but if you don't overclock it than it will just bounce it down to 1333 anyway. But just to be safe I'm going to order 1333 RAM instead anyway.

User is offline   Jeff 

I might try overclocking mine, or do the TurboBoost thing. I heard this version works differently than the original TurboBoost.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 19 January 2011 - 01:23 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey, guys, I want your opinion. Does this seem like a good value?

http://www.cyberpowe...ega_Special_II/

I would get it with an Nvidia card for sure, and Windows 7 (which adds another $100). I don't know what other changes I would make. Shipping is free. I don't want to spend much more than $800 total.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Why only a Dual-Core processor? You should go with AMD Phenom II X6; it's not too expensive and it's the best there is. If you insist on an Nvidia card, GTX 460 is the way to go.

• The Sarien Encounter

Sandy Bridge blows everything out of the water currently with its price to performance ratio.

• Duke Plus Developer

Having the best price to performance ratio is not the same thing as having the best value. Whether it's the best value depends on your needs. If you need that, then great. The computer I ordered came to just over $800 (including tax), and it's way better than what I have now. It will meet my needs for the next 3 years or more. If I spent $1600 like you did, I would get a better price to performance ratio, but I would be poorer and the extra performance would mostly be wasted considering the games I play.

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm not saying to pay $1600. But the Sandy Bridge processor is dirt cheap, is all. It's almost worth it to go for it. You don't need to go all out like I did. But that's cool. It's your computer and if you're happy with it then that's awesome.

User is offline   Stabs 

best of putting as much as you can into GFX and getting a cheaper chip if your a good overclocker, the gains from a GPU overclock are just so minimal i dont even bother OC'ing gfx anymore

If a GPU is shit, its shit, if a CPU is shit it can be made alot better.

As long as that PC has a GTX250/9800 minimum DT it should be fine, depends what res you want aswell tho :(

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Jan 23 2011, 03:37 PM, said:

best of putting as much as you can into GFX and getting a cheaper chip if your a good overclocker, the gains from a GPU overclock are just so minimal i dont even bother OC'ing gfx anymore

If a GPU is shit, its shit, if a CPU is shit it can be made alot better.

As long as that PC has a GTX250/9800 minimum DT it should be fine, depends what res you want aswell tho :(

What I'm getting will have a GTS 450 card and Athlon II x2 265 cpu at 3.3GHz per core.

My current rig is a Gateway that I got just over 3 years ago. The mobo does not allow overclocking. I'm going to give the Gateway to my wife, which will be big upgrade for her.

User is offline   Stabs 

That should do the job nicely DT :(

BTW What Res are you going to be gaming at on this system?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on Jan 23 2011, 06:10 PM, said:

That should do the job nicely DT :(

BTW What Res are you going to be gaming at on this system?

Probably 1920x1080.

• The Sarien Encounter

I received my video card today. Now I just need the actual computer parts so I can use it!

Posted Image

^

Is that you?

Oooh, blackharted wants a date.

View Posttrencheel303, on Jan 27 2011, 12:14 PM, said:

Oooh, blackharted wants a date.

No. :(

• The Sarien Encounter

No, it's my assistant. He stands in for all my photos.

The motherboard I was going to get is out of stock on NewEgg. Crap.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options