Duke4.net Forums: Rise of the Triad - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise of the Triad

User is offline   Tetsuo 

It is unique in that it's a special case item that only gets used for that one thing.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 15 2010, 05:40 AM, said:

ROTT had a better weapon limit system though, you get to carry four weapons (five counting the knife) instead of just two. Thats actually alot more realistic weapon system then what some of these modern shooters have.

However, the single pistol is completely useless as soon as you get the second, and both as soon as you get the MP40, so they might as well count as one.
Wasn't there a slot for "magical weapons" though, or did they use the rocket slot?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I think that took at the rocket slot

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Yup, they replace the rocket launcher... even the magic baseball bat did. Also about the dual pistols I agree with necroslut as that's kind of what I was hinting at earlier. Pretty much you are switching between your equipped bullet weapon and rocket launcher\magic weapon and there's a button specifically for this purpose.. when I play ROTT I typically bind that to the right mouse button. Through most of the game I'm just toggling between my MP40 and Rocket\Magic Launcher.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 15 September 2010 - 02:15 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Postnecroslut, on Sep 15 2010, 05:31 AM, said:

However, the single pistol is completely useless as soon as you get the second, and both as soon as you get the MP40, so they might as well count as one.

I always used the Dual pistols even after i got the mp40, just because they looked cool.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostReaperMan, on Sep 15 2010, 09:47 AM, said:

I always used the Dual pistols even after i got the mp40, just because they looked cool.

Always love watching the guards go "Uh-Ah-Uh-Ah AHH!"

I really want to play ROTT online now, anyone know how? :)

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 15 September 2010 - 09:42 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostCommando Nukem, on Sep 15 2010, 09:39 AM, said:

Always love watching the guards go "Uh-Ah-Uh-Ah AHH!"

That reminds me of how they also sometimes drop to their knees and say NO DON'T SHOOT! I then switch to the pistol and shoot. :)

Alright got some interesting ROTT related stuff....

The Zdoom TC "Return of the Triad" has a Demo out its good, so if you got doom and like ROTT download it.

http://elzee.cz.cc/rott.html

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperMan, on Dec 10 2010, 02:23 PM, said:

Alright got some interesting ROTT related stuff....

The Zdoom TC "Return of the Triad" has a Demo out its good, so if you got doom and like ROTT download it.

http://elzee.cz.cc/rott.html

Been waiting for this :rolleyes:

User is offline   SwissCm 

ROTT really deserves to stay on the Build engine, though due to the lack of a good multiplayer framework for Duke3D at the moment I can understand the defection :rolleyes:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

When was ROTT ever on the Build engine to warrant "staying" there?

View PostSwissCm, on Dec 10 2010, 06:09 AM, said:

ROTT really deserves to stay on the Build engine, though due to the lack of a good multiplayer framework for Duke3D at the moment I can understand the defection :rolleyes:

Dude, ROTT uses the a heavily modified Wolfenstein 3D engine.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I just realised that the icculus port of ROTT also has compiled Windows binaries. While these work better than the non-GL version of WinROTT and the aspect correction issue is addressed, the HUD and weapons are not scaled properly by default, and I haven't been able to find an option to turn it on. This leaves WinROTT GL as the only port to faithfully recreate the HUD currently.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 15 February 2017 - 12:43 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Why aren't there more good ports of ROTT anyway?

Exactly. The game needs a good, stable and accurate software renderer port like BStone for Blake Stone titles. I wonder if BStone's author would be willing to do that.

User is offline   FistMarine 

Personally I would like to see ECWolf supporting Blake Stone and Rise of the Triad sometime in the future. BStone might be a good secondary option for Blake Stone for now.

View PostRunningDuke, on 05 January 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Personally I would like to see ECWolf supporting Blake Stone and Rise of the Triad sometime in the future. BStone might be a good secondary option for Blake Stone for now.

That's already in the project's roadmap:

Roadmap

While I'm not able to commit to any set schedule for releases, I would like to go over the direction of the port. For the 1.x series the focus will mostly be on bug fixes including fixing the known issues stated above. There will of course be new features added in over time, but it's still going to be a mostly 2-dimensional engine.
For the 2.x series I'll be trying to add support for playing the Mac version of wolfenstein. In addition I'll be looking to add many of the missing features that prevent me from having a stable API. Particularly adding a proper Z-axis. The idea going forwards would be to add support for one wolfenstein engine game per major version. (I know you're all waiting for Blake Stone.) Here's the list of Wolfenstein engine games that are planned to be supported as well as how much information I have towards supporting them.
  • Blake Stone Aliens of Gold - Source lost. Disassembly mapped and code reconstructed!
  • Blake Stone Aliens of Gold Shareware - Ditto
  • Blake Stone Planet Strike - Source Released, branched
  • Corridor 7 - Disassembly mapped!
  • Corridor 7 Floppy Version - On hold until above is complete
  • Corridor 7 Demo - On hold until above is complete
  • Mac Wolfenstein First & Second Encounter - Source Released. Work started.
  • Mac Wolfenstein Third Encounter - No source, but not a whole lot different. Work started.
  • Operation Body Count - Based off C7 code
  • Operation Body Count Demo - Contains debug symbols!
  • Rise of the Triad: The Hunt Begins - Source Released
  • Rise of the Triad: The Dark War - Source Released

Past version 2.0, if you would like your favorite game to be supported sooner, then feel free to do the reverse engineering work and send me your findings. If someone were to do this, please note that I'm interested in how the actors worked in the original games, not exactly how they can be emulated with the current feature set. Rise of the Triad will probably be one of the last games supported (if at all) due to it vast number of changes. ECWolf will be getting a lot of similar features, so we'll see.
There are no plans to support reading the roms of console versions of Wolfenstein 3D (similar to how Doom 64 Ex works), but that's not to say I would be against implementing it upstream if it can be done cleanly. There's also a slight possibility of running off the iPhone port's data, but given that the data is distributed with the source, that may not be a good idea.
The 3D games using earlier versions of the engine Hovertank and the Catacombs games may get supported. However, the focus is to do the games directly based of Wolfenstein 3D first.

However, as much as I appreciate ECWolf's features, I'd still like a dedicated source port built directly upon the ROTT source as well.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I don't like these feature creep software projects. Just stick with one thing and get it perfect.

User is offline   FistMarine 

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 January 2017 - 04:20 AM, said:

That's already in the project's roadmap:

However, as much as I appreciate ECWolf's features, I'd still like a dedicated source port built directly upon the ROTT source as well.

I am aware of the project's roadmap. I was just saying that I would like to see someday Blake Stone and ROTT integrated into ECWolf, kinda like how ZDoom (and derivatives) supports all Doom engine games. I do agree that there should be an active source port directly based off ROTT's source code.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 05 January 2017 - 05:25 AM

View PostRunningDuke, on 05 January 2017 - 05:24 AM, said:

I was just saying that I would like to see someday Blake Stone and ROTT integrated into ECWolf, kinda like how ZDoom (and derivatives) supports all Doom engine games.

Personally I would appreciate any accurate port of the game, whether as a ECWolf feature or stand-alone. ECWolf would provide for some interesting modding opportunities I guess, but then again I'd also like the over-stretching bug (which seems like it was inherited from ZDoom code) being fixed as well.

• The Sarien Encounter

Overstretched in what way? Was ROTT one of those games that had a 320x200 resolution with non-square pixels (4:3 aspect)? If so maybe it just seems stretched to you? Then again, I think that was only true for 2D games mostly and 320x240 was actually more popular among FPS games.

View PostMrFlibble, on 04 January 2017 - 09:52 AM, said:

I just realised that the icculus port of ROTT also has compiled Windows binaries. While these work better than the non-GL version of WinROTT and the aspect correction issue is addressed, the HUD and weapons are not scaled properly by default, and I haven't been able to find an option to turn it on. This leaves WinROTT GL as the only port to faithfully recreate the HUD currently.

Does the iccululs port fix WinROTTs bug not randomising the enemies thorough the map?

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 January 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Overstretched in what way?

In the 5:4 way, I've described that in detail in the post at DRD Forums which I linked to above.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 07 January 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Then again, I think that was only true for 2D games mostly and 320x240 was actually more popular among FPS games.

Actually, I can't remember any DOS FPS game to use the VGA Mode X right now, while a number of "2D" games do use it, including The Lost Vikings and its sequel, Blackthorne, Flying Tigers, Ravage, Alien Breed: Tower Assault, Superfrog to name just a few.

• The Sarien Encounter

DOS Build does. And Quake. Any shooter that can alter the resolution, anyway. The older ones like Doom and Wolf3D obviously wouldn't.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 08 January 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

DOS Build does.

[offtopic]I've never been able to run Duke3D or any other Build engine game at 320x240.[/offtopic]

It has occurred to me today that, among other things, a series of Wolf3D engine game ports similar to Chocolate Doom would be nice too. Perhaps combining a complete (but bugfixed) vanilla recreation and an optional high-res mode would be a good thing if done properly.

Anyway, have there actually been any ROTT mods or TCs?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The guy behind "Chocolate" Duke also made a "Chocolate Wolf 3D" but like the former, I cannot vouch for its quality.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 January 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

[offtopic]I've never been able to run Duke3D or any other Build engine game at 320x240.[/offtopic]

You're absolutely right, my mistake. Quake definitely does, though. But that's certainly at the tail-end of the DOS shooter's lifespan so it's not near as common as I, for some reason, assumed.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 January 2017 - 03:26 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

I don't know other late Build games, but doesn't Duke3D has option to enable higher resolution like 640x480 and 800x600? (But still needed UNIVBE driver or similar tools to enable SVGA/VESA support)

--

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 January 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Anyway, have there actually been any ROTT mods or TCs?

And I'm not sure if RotT(classic one, I hope you're not mean that 2013 one......) can be modded enough to have mod/TCs...unless RTL/RTC levels counts... :lol:

The only one "MOD" I found from google is this one needed outdated WinROTT/WinROTTGL and long dead for sure. :devil:

That's why I cared more about ECWolf's RotT support than the other "pure" ports. :D

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 11 January 2017 - 04:26 AM

I certainly wouldn't mind a mod/option that turns off unlimited ammo for firearms and adds a way to replenish ammo from pickups. E.g. just make certain enemies drop extra pistols and MP40's.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options