Duke4.net Forums: Rise of the Triad - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rise of the Triad

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

1.2 is what I remember from the shareware, it's kinda terrible what they did with the d3d like patches.
Probably updated ASS at the time and resulted in patches being copied as well.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

This might finally be the ROTT edition I've been waiting for during all these years...

User is offline   nukemania 

Anybody have any shovelware discs that includes ROTT maps?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

The Ludicrous Edition demo just kicked in:
https://store.steamp...icrous_Edition/

I played a bit, everything feels about right. Oh, and the female guards are back.

• The Truth is in here

I would have liked to get the full release already. Five more weeks of waiting. Pfff... Those four maps didn't even keep me going for more than an hour. But well, that new episode looks as if it's going to be well-designed, nothing with the appeal of map generator material.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Remaster just dropped today. https://store.steamp...icrous_Edition/

User is offline   Phredreeke 

$20 is a lot for Wolf3D on steroids and a bit of acid

• The Truth is in here

Currently it's on sale, -20% off. I've bought it already and took a first look. It's pretty neat, has all available official episodes integrated plus the new one. Especially the Doom-like HUD with mugshot is nice to have. Secrets walls blink on the automap, a really helpful feature. Runs very smooth, too.

In theory there could also be some custom levels/episodes later on, so this might keep you busy for a while. As far as I'm concerned, due to the general layout of these maps and the rather repetitive gameplay (using MP-40 almost all the time, boring 90° angle-walls etc), I can't play more than 2-3 levels in a row, but it's a great port.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and get Brandon's fixed SC-55 music pack from https://sc55.duke4.net for fixed looping.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 August 2023 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Yeah but I have the original ROTT already as well as a boatload of other games that I've yet to finish (HROT comes to mind)

Heck I never finished ROTT2013 :lol:

• The Truth is in here

ROTT 2013 was crap. Unbalanced, buggy, unfinished. With jump sections even worse than in the original. You haven't missed anything.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 August 2023 - 04:15 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

While RotT:LE port just released recently...seems people already forgot about WinROTT/GL anymore...and I just noticed something when try to see if WinROTT still get updates...

The official site of WinROTT/GL will shut down on Sep 1, 2023.
https://www.riseofthetriad.dk/

August 18, 2023.

SITE IS CLOSING September 1, 2023.

After I have payed for this site the last 26 years the hosting cost is getting to big for me. Thanks to all of you who has visited this site.

Thanks

Birger

:mellow:

Sad to hear that, we need to archive as much as possible before it goes.

• The Truth is in here

I wonder whether it's related to the recent release of the Nightdive remaster. Did the guy feel as if his port was no longer needed? I mean, basically... it's just like that.

View PostNightFright, on 27 August 2023 - 08:23 AM, said:

Did the guy feel as if his port was no longer needed?

What an odd thing to say. What about all the people who own the DOS version and don't want to buy the remaster?

User is offline   0815Jack 

Well the latest WinROTT/GL port updates were more about bugfixing than adding any new features. Maybe the port reached his final stage bywhich Birger was happy with and had no further plans to improve it.

We should thank Birger for keeping his site for up so long.

Although the site is gone now... the port isn't. You can always upload it to archive.org to preserve it.

View Post0815Jack, on 03 September 2023 - 01:19 PM, said:

Although the site is gone now... the port isn't. You can always upload it to archive.org to preserve it.

The most logical thing would be to upload it to GitHub since the source code is also available.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostAristotle Gumball, on 01 January 2022 - 04:45 AM, said:

It was just that one comment about the ceiling/floor relation that made me think he was talking about the original game. I don't remember ROTT 2013 feeling particularly claustrophobic.

Very late and gay but yes, I was indeed talking about ROTT 2013. This year I made another attempt to play it and I have now 2.3 hours clocked but alas! I don't have the physical fortitude to get through it.

Attached File  Screenshot_20230908_173101.png (146.27K)
Number of downloads: 5

• The Truth is in here

Until today I have no idea how I ever managed to accomplish one full playthrough of the 2013 version. The game feels clunky and sluggish, the checkpointvsystem is unforgiving/frustrating at times and some of the jump pad sections are straight from hell.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 September 2023 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

The midi file for Wendt - Doug Wendt has been found

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostLunick, on 24 October 2023 - 05:08 PM, said:

The midi file for Wendt - Doug Wendt has been found

That's an interesting and unusual discovery of Marphy Black. I clearly recognized and (mostly) remembered the ~26 first seconds of the MIDI from the Kill-A-Ton CD.

I'm unsure about ROTT. I did complete ROTT 2013, but it had been long enough. Most chances are I did go through the full credits sequence; I probably heard ROTT's "Havana Smooth"; I'm unsure if I recognized the start of "Wendt - Doug Wendt" as I previously heard via the Kill-A-Ton CD at the time, I just don't remember. Even if it did sound familiar, I'm quite sure I wasn't aware of it being an unused ROTT track.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options