Duke4.net Forums: Duke3d original level Lighting - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3d original level Lighting  "let there be the light!"

User is offline   Devastator 

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on May 5 2010, 07:29 AM, said:

If you can't accept the fact that your work will be subject to criticism, no one will want to help you on your project at all.

allrighty
In the first place did ya read the first message in topic? - i ASKED my work to be a subject for criticism.
The second - it is sure certain that stadium was just an example, and everyone picked on it (probable because of not reading messages), so this part about stadium was guess what?*Sarcasm*
The third - where's your feedback anyways?
The fourth - did you even opened any of the light maphacks?

2 Commander - for sure i will light the stadium, a bit later)

This post has been edited by Devastator: 05 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

User is offline   gt1750 

Hey Devastator, I really like your lighthacks! They don't have overly negative effect on the framerate - the game is mostly silky smooth for me - yet they really add to the atmosphere and make the enviroments look more lively. The lights seem to be placed properly and I can't think of any strikingly blind spots. Scarce, but well placed spotlights spruce up the looks with some casted shadows. I'd like to see more of these once the engine is more optimized. Anyway your hacks are good compromise between looks and performance - unlike Parkar's E1L1 which lags like hell and Roma Loom's Ep.2 which is rather bland with some areas completely untouched (sorry, Roma).

My favorite bits (with some AA & AF):
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Please, do more! Or preferably, the entire game :P

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

That's ok, I was placing lights only in the places that had obvious "light sources" ie lamp textures and such, but devastator covered almost every sqaure meter in ep4 even in ampty corridors which makes level looking more vivid and warm. Also I still don't know what to do with rooms that have either flickery lights set via sector effectors or the rooms where you can turn the light off using switch or blowing up the "lamp" texture on the ceiling...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRoma Loom, on May 6 2010, 12:41 PM, said:

Also I still don't know what to do with rooms that have either flickery lights set via sector effectors or the rooms where you can turn the light off using switch or blowing up the "lamp" texture on the ceiling...

Polymer versions of those effects (and others you didn't mention) can be added via CON code. I have already done something like that for flashing lights. However, those effects should be added at the source code level so that players don't need to use a particular mod to see them. Hopefully, it's on TerminX's to-do list.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

That's what the minshade/maxshade members of lighthacks are for. It allows you to let the light intensity stick dynamically to the shade of the target sector, replicating the flickering effects of the original SEs. This also works for light switches.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostPlagman, on May 6 2010, 03:27 PM, said:

That's what the minshade/maxshade members of lighthacks are for. It allows you to let the light intensity stick dynamically to the shade of the target sector, replicating the flickering effects of the original SEs. This also works for light switches.

Assume we arent doing maphacks... How would we add this into our maps? (Flickering lights)

Why can't you ship a maphack with your custom map? The only other way to do it is to manipulate the light SEs through CON code.

User is offline   Stabs 

can scripting be used ingame?

say if i tell it to turn a pointlights lotag from 49 to 88 (so it wont do anything) linked via a unique hitag, say 2001 and make sure no other light shares that hitag

so if a switch with lotag 100 is turned on it changes any sprites with a hitag of 2001, to a lotag of 88 and vice versa

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostPlagman, on May 6 2010, 07:12 PM, said:

Why can't you ship a maphack with your custom map? The only other way to do it is to manipulate the light SEs through CON code.

Assume im not shipping my map at all. Assume im asking strictly for my own goram convience.

View PostPlagman, on May 7 2010, 01:27 AM, said:

Can you please give an example? If it really works the way i think - it will be awesome.
to gt1750:
I'm kinda surprised =), today i downloaded polymer hrp, in some places game lags as hell ,and babe land not playable at all :P.
i think i should kill some useless spotlights, like in babe land and dukeburger.

View PostPlagman, on May 6 2010, 10:12 PM, said:

actors.c (r1609) said:

mylight.minshade = sprite[i].xoffset;
mylight.maxshade = sprite[i].yoffset;

?

That's even better. Since I didn't write that code, I didn't really know you could do that.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm not sure I understand. Are the min and max light values on lights controlled by SEs automatically set to the xoffset and yoffset members of the SE sprite?

Looks like it.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDevastator, on May 6 2010, 04:57 AM, said:

2 Commander - for sure i will light the stadium, a bit later)

I am not sure what could be added. I just placed some spotlights where there would be in real life in a stadium.
Even though you cant see them in the map it's self, I guess the colour of the lights could be modified as they are a bit to yellow.

hm.. i was thinking about lighting it like it was lighted in cutscene animation- with blue-green lights, and maybe some yellow-white on the sides

View PostDevastator, on May 8 2010, 08:00 PM, said:

hm.. i was thinking about lighting it like it was lighted in cutscene animation- with blue-green lights, and maybe some yellow-white on the sides

That could work, mine was just mainly a test to see how the mapster32 output script lighting worked, and I guess Roma or someone added it to the SVN. :P

Go and grab E4L9, i tried to optimize it as much as was possible, try it out and tell me about your fps and impressions.

User is offline   Spiker 

I've played it. Looks pretty good. I didn't have any problems with FPS with the latest snapshot :P (at least it was playable)

@Plagman:
Actually, I was hoping you could explain why it doesn't seem to work.

This post has been edited by Dr. Kylstein: 08 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

Added final level for episode 4, you'll be probably surprised when you see it.

Also interesting thing, - i did lighted stadium, and then decided to load Commander's version, and they are almost the same. i've updated svn with my version and left Commander's lights commented.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0025.jpg

User is offline   3D Master 

View PostThe Commander, on Apr 25 2010, 04:33 PM, said:

Yup, thats upto date, im guessing you didn't install the hacks correctly or something else weird.
Just download TortoiseSVN... It only takes like 2 seconds to setup to be able to keep up to date with the HRP.

http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

Uh, I don't get it. I installed the tortoise but I don't see it anywhere. Not on the desktop, not in my program menu, if I search for it, I only find the installer, there's no new link or button that I can see anywhere in the webSVN bit. What's that tortoisesvn thing supposed to do?

Also, how best to install it? Put all maphacks in a maphacks.zip and overwrite the maphacks.zip in the autoload folder?

Or, if there's a list of which are already in polymer_hrp; which to add to the existing maphacks.zip so I don't have to download them all?

This post has been edited by 3D Master: 09 May 2010 - 01:17 AM

Tortoise appears in right-click menu when you right-clic on files/folders. you need an empty folder which will serve as depot. then click "Create Depot" button, use link https://svn.eduke32.com/polymer_hrp . Then during update you will get latest maphacks in the first turn. You can place them simply in directory with eduke32.exe and play the game.

View PostDevastator, on May 9 2010, 11:28 AM, said:

Tortoise appears in right-click menu when you right-clic on files/folders. you need an empty folder which will serve as depot. then click "Create Depot" button, use link https://svn.eduke32.com/polymer_hrp . Then during update you will get latest maphacks in the first turn. You can place them simply in directory with eduke32.exe and play the game.

It says it needs a username and password?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'm not sure what I did, I think I clicked "create repository here" then it automatically started downloading what looks like the polymer HRP, and it's currently downloaded over 500mb, how much further is this thing going to go? We have limited internet downloads in Australia :P

User is offline   Stabs 

I updated today, it currently stands as a 850mb d/l from the SVN uncompressed

d/l limits aint that bad unless your with telstra :P

View PostDevastator, on May 9 2010, 07:06 PM, said:

Also interesting thing, - i did lighted stadium, and then decided to load Commander's version, and they are almost the same. i've updated svn with my version and left Commander's lights commented.

Yeah, expect it seems you used less spotlights and the colour is much more nicer than all yellow looking than my one.

Very good. :P

EDIT: Do I have to make a video showing most of these people how to use SVN & Tortoise?

This post has been edited by The Commander: 09 May 2010 - 04:50 AM

User is offline   gt1750 

E4L10 looks awesome with all the Polymer lighting. Great job, Devastator! Now if only all the textures where high-res & normalmapped...

View PostThe Commander, on May 9 2010, 02:49 PM, said:

EDIT: Do I have to make a video showing most of these people how to use SVN & Tortoise?

No, I need you tell me the username and password:

"Polymer HRP subversion repository requests a username and a password"

This post has been edited by 3D Master: 09 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

The username and pass are needed if you have an account there for uploading stuff. You should be able to download and sync withought username and pass, unless there's something wrong with svn server...

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options