Duke4.net Forums: Lameduke/beta inspired TC (ASSETS RELEASED) - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lameduke/beta inspired TC (ASSETS RELEASED)  "Abandoned"

User is offline   Cage 

UPDATE: I've abandoned this TC, at least as an one man effort. TC's assets are available in the Community Stockpile thread
-------------

Inspired by the beta shots in this topic I started thinking about a TC (probably one episode) that would have some features of the Duke's beta (for example the weapons that got replaced - laser chainsaw, flamethrower, etc.). I think it would be an interesting twist, a map pack with a Duke feel but a bit different.

Here's a quick mock up screen where I remade (not exactly) one location from the screens
Posted Image
(uses some touched up lameduke artwork)

What do you think? Consider this an idea thread (not a tc-in-making annoucement).

This post has been edited by Cage: 03 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Isn't there a way to directly convert the LameDuke/beta maps to the current format? If not, then I expect it wouldn't be too hard to make it happen.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I'd play it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Funduke once made a "TC" called LameDuke Forever, where they converted all the maps and art to Duke. 3D Realms asked FunDuke to take it down, but I snagged a version of it sometime before.

3D Realms doesn't patrol this place, and that's why discussions about the leaked SW and Duke betas, and the Duke 64 recreation mod are allowed to exist. Hopefully he could rerelease it here and possible continue work on it.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I would have allowed discussions like that to take place there, but 3DR didn't let me. Things are different here because nobody gets to make rules that I have to follow. <_< Stuff that's in a gray area is allowed here versus just getting rid of it as if it was plainly illegal. I got in a loooooot of arguments behind the scenes at 3DR over my interpretations of things versus theirs... I was always the guy fighting against bans and censorship that I thought was unfair or not in good faith.

Heh, I even allowed discussion about those leaked betas on 3DR when I had a chance to. It's not like it hurt anybody to talk about stuff like that.

User is offline   supergoofy 

@Hendricks266 please provide a link for LameDuke Forever TC.

@Cage, that would be awesome if you create such TC. And we all know you have very good art skills, thus you can modify duke art files to the more Lameduke feel. <_<

@TX, thanks for allowing and encouraging the creation of the new lameduke themed TC by Cage <_<

[edit]

@Cage, I also searched my personal dvd database and I found out that I have LameDuke Xtreme. Should I upload it for you?

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 02 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

@Cage I think a new LameDuke TC would be cool.^^ You could implement a Dr. Proton inspired story maybe that would be cool. <_<

If somebody uploads the LameDuke Forever LameDuke XTreme whatever too that would be rad too.

• Weaponized Autism

Funduke's site had LD4Ever removed, plus it was hosted on Geocities, which is now dead.

So, I did some digging in my hard drives.

Here is a 7z with all the files in a folder, and some other stuff I threw in in another folder. This includes the ART files after patching. It's ironic that Funduke cared so much about copyright, but it got taken down anyway.

lduke4ever_0_02_h266.7z

If you so desire the original zip for historical preservation, it is available here.

User is offline   supergoofy 

And here is LameDuke Xtreme

http://www.mediafire...php?ozgnmfmnzzn

it also includes patch 0.4a

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 02 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

User is offline   Jinroh 

Thank you both! <_<

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postsupergoofy, on Apr 3 2010, 05:11 PM, said:

And here is LameDuke Xtreme

http://www.mediafire...php?ozgnmfmnzzn

it also includes patch 0.4a

NVM I fixed it

This post has been edited by Lunick: 03 April 2010 - 11:15 PM

User is offline   Cage 

View PostPlagman, on Apr 3 2010, 12:53 AM, said:

Isn't there a way to directly convert the LameDuke/beta maps to the current format? If not, then I expect it wouldn't be too hard to make it happen.

Yes there is and it has been already done:

View PostHendricks266, on Apr 3 2010, 02:25 AM, said:

Funduke once made a "TC" called LameDuke Forever, where they converted all the maps and art to Duke.

What I actually have in mind, is not a direct remake/port/whatever of lameduke, just some features refering to lameduke (like shoulder mounted rpg) or beta (human troopers, laser chainsaw etc.)

As for visual side of the things, I'd aim for making it look good and more of the final Duke's visual style instead making normal duke stuff lameduke looking - lameduke art is mostly seriously undeveloped. However some of it I think looks ok and works, after some tweaking (I think the rpg looks good enough to keep it now and the troopers from the screenshot quite close to the beta ones - does anybody have more screens of them for reference?)

I like the doctor proton idea but it leaves with a small amount of monsters to work with - human troopers, the lameduke drone and the cyborg, pigcops could stay. Unless they would be extra monsters to the Duke's bestiary (could have a flamethrower lizard as a bonus) which gives me an idea - a three way battle between Duke, Aliens and Dr.Proton? <_<

But as I've said, consider this more of an idea thread. If this is ever going to lift off I'll probably try to assemble a team - while I can work with art and basic cons, maps are a big problem - well I can map, but finishing maps is a problem <_< Plus I'm sure there are a lot of people who can map a lot better than me. For now I'll try to work with art in my spare time, if this idea fails I'll just release the art so somebody can make use of it

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostCage, on Apr 3 2010, 05:23 PM, said:

I like the doctor proton idea but it leaves with a small amount of monsters to work with - human troopers, the lameduke drone and the cyborg, pigcops could stay. Unless they would be extra monsters to the Duke's bestiary (could have a flamethrower lizard as a bonus) which gives me an idea - a three way battle between Duke, Aliens and Dr.Proton? <_<

Hehe, that's not a bad idea a three way trying to achieve the same objective before the others. Maybe trying to get all the babenergy before the others. Like to power some awesome Doomsday device like the Annhaialatrix. Hehe.

Also could somebody mirror the LameDuke XTreme, MediaFire is not easily available in my country. ^^; Thanks.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 03 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Sort through the screen shots in the zip files on this page:

RTCM

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostForge, on Apr 3 2010, 09:00 PM, said:

RTCM

For LameDuke TC ideas?

User is offline   Cage 

View PostForge, on Apr 3 2010, 03:00 PM, said:

RTCM

Already got those :D

OK, so I've decided this is going to be something for me to poke around the gfx in my spare time (at least at the moment)

Posted Image
brought back 1.3d font plus a new(old) chaingun cannon. It has the artwork of the plasma gun from lameduke (as seen here) but it works like the normal gun from duke :P

since the shareware/beta references the freezer to flamethrower in cons, I've decided to go to that way. Already got the clean beta freezer in game:
Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Ohh looking good

• Weaponized Autism

Muzzle flash on the the chaingun looks bad. Everything else looks great though.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Looking good. ^^ I like the stronger use of colour that the old freeze thrower had. ^^ I don't see too much of a problem with the muzzle flash though it looks ok to me.

Keep it up!

User is offline   Lunick 

Yeah the muzzle flash looks fine

User is offline   SwissCm 

The Duke Shareware Beta actually has a coded flamethrower, it's just missing the artwork for it. It might be possible to try it out if you can nail down what tiles it uses.

User is offline   Spiker 

It's looking LAME :P :D

User is offline   Jinroh 

Posted Image

User is offline   Cage 

View PostSwissCm, on Apr 9 2010, 06:57 AM, said:

The Duke Shareware Beta actually has a coded flamethrower, it's just missing the artwork for it. It might be possible to try it out if you can nail down what tiles it uses.

Actually it was easy, because the DEFS.con gives the tile numbers :P While the effect is quite cool, making this weapon insant hit (like bullets - it works like this in the beta) makes no sense.

I'm starting to get fun with this mod :D I've tweaked the RPG and I think I've almost nailed the 3DR style on it, less smudgy, more sharp and dithered:

Posted Image
New enemy - lameduke drones, some minor tweaking and added one missing sequence of animation(orginal had firing frames from only one turret). I'm thinking about making it float around following player, shooting either machinguns or lasers and devastator missiles. I'll probably need help with code since I can't code worth shit :D

In the background there's a building texture which I made(both from scratch and using bits of piecies of orginal textures). I tried to get it as close as possible to one of the textures from the beta screens. It was dark and distorted in the shots, but I think I've got it quite close. Geez, I'm a GFX nerd :D

I'm slowly working on a map too, I'm trying to mimic the orginal mapping style - simple details, high contrast shading. If I have more code/art stuff done I'll probably openly ask for mapping volunteers. I was thinking of making a city episode but maybe with first map in space - escaping the invaded station to the streets?

I like where this is going. I guess the instant hit on the Flamethrower is probably because of the Laser Chainsaw idea they had, seeing as a laser would travel at the speed of light, just a thought.

Anyway, this is looking good.

User is offline   DuduKrazy 

this mod is awesome! i wish i could apply myself for a beta test.

User is offline   Cage 

View PostDuduKrazy, on Apr 16 2010, 01:41 AM, said:

this mod is awesome! i wish i could apply myself for a beta test.

There's nothing to test yet :P

Out of curiousity, I've ripped out the palette from the old beta shots and put it in game:
Posted Image

I've fixed the blue range to make it compatible with Duke GFX (the beta one had two hues of blue) but it still looks a bit weird. I'll probably use the normal pal, or something in-between.

I've attached it if anyone would like to take a look.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Jinroh 

This is looking quite good. :P I like the RPG and the building textures. Great job so far!

View PostCage, on Apr 16 2010, 07:15 AM, said:

I'm slowly working on a map too, I'm trying to mimic the orginal mapping style - simple details, high contrast shading. If I have more code/art stuff done I'll probably openly ask for mapping volunteers. I was thinking of making a city episode but maybe with first map in space - escaping the invaded station to the streets?

I like this idea as it would fit in with Duke Nukem II. You could escape and fly back to Neo L.A. on your way to talk about your sequel book, only to find that the city has been overrun. The Drone things look good too. :D

Maybe I like that plot because it's almost the same as the Duke Nukem 3D. >_> It still would be cool, Dr. Proton's Rogue Robots and Aliens fighting mixed up ballet with Duke!

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 16 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Cage 

Posted Image
Another area based on the beta shot, features somewhat edited pigcops, inspired by this shot, black vests, maybe I'll add the spikes on the shoulder pads and clubs later.

I think I'll try the human trooper next, he requires the most editing I think.

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Don't forget that the pigcops can fly :P

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options