Duke4.net Forums: Mod/TC That You Have To Pay For To Download, Using DukePlus and HRP. Illegal No? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mod/TC That You Have To Pay For To Download, Using DukePlus and HRP. Illegal No?  "Anyone know who this guy is?"

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://duke-nukem-3d-assault-tc.de.vu/ - Click the flag in the top left to turn it to English

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Dcf2pOkjV3U
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7BUqoO39Jqc

In none of the videos does it mention about having to buy it, but when you visit the website above you are told you have to pay for it. There is a download button but it brings up a user name password thing.

He left his bank details, I dunno if it can be of any use to actually verify who the real person is.

Wolfgang Kraus
IBAN: DE51 5467 0024 0022 2711 00
BIC(SWIFT-CODE). DEUTDEDB548

This post has been edited by The Commander: 25 February 2010 - 06:42 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

The dual pistols code/models they should have been ripped from DukePlus.

I think that DeeperThought will be pissed. And also all the Duke community should be angry.

Some searching on links bought to this.

http://pleasedonatef...t/index_us.html

Wtf man.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Is that supposed to be a helicopter in the 4th screen down?

If you look, he is selling his 'TC' (ahem, which uses all the old Duke tiles!!), NOT the HRP.

View PostTea Monster, on Feb 26 2010, 04:04 AM, said:

Is that supposed to be a helicopter in the 4th screen down?

If you look, he is selling his 'TC' (ahem, which uses all the old Duke tiles!!), NOT the HRP.

It's still using the HRP. Your actually sticking up for it? wtf.

• Polymancer

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 25 2010, 07:07 AM, said:

It's still using the HRP. Your actually sticking up for it? wtf.

LOL, no, just pointing out that he is not actually selling the HRP itself, which would be really sucky of him.

If someone out there actually wants to pay him for his level (I'm not going to refer to it as a TC or even a mod), then there is nothing that we can do to him that can make his life any worse than it already is.

Yes, but the point is that there is no way to get the maps with out paying for them, hence he is selling it to make a profit.

You can't sell any maps,con code etc The only thing he could possibly sell is the art work (and not in tiles form) and any sounds he may have created, but looking at the videos/pictures he did not make any and it all looks ripped.

• Polymancer

View PostThe Commander, on Feb 25 2010, 07:23 AM, said:

Yes, but the point is that there is no way to get the maps with out paying for them, hence he is selling it to make a profit.

You can't sell any maps,con code etc The only thing he could possibly sell is the art work (and not in tiles form) and any sounds he may have created, but looking at the videos/pictures he did not make any and it all looks ripped.

Of course it's all ripped. Unless he is packaging a copy of the GRP file with his download, he is only selling his map. I'm not really sure if this is illegal or not. I know there were CD's of Duke maps for sale back in the day. I'm not saying that this is a good thing, as if I recall correctly, most of those maps were made by the community and sold without any kind of credit or payment to those who made the maps.

So all in all, unless it is specifically illegal to sell user maps only, there has been much worse stuff that has happened and nobody got prosecuted.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTea Monster, on Feb 25 2010, 07:40 AM, said:

Of course it's all ripped. Unless he is packaging a copy of the GRP file with his download, he is only selling his map. I'm not really sure if this is illegal or not. I know there were CD's of Duke maps for sale back in the day. I'm not saying that this is a good thing, as if I recall correctly, most of those maps were made by the community and sold without any kind of credit or payment to those who made the maps.

So all in all, unless it is specifically illegal to sell user maps only, there has been much worse stuff that has happened and nobody got prosecuted.

Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts as well. He provides a separate link to the HRP (which comes with Duke Plus), so even if he's including them I would not construe his actions as selling them. AFAIK someone can sell something and include a freely distributable item (such as the HRP) along with it as a bonus. Of course, he is obligated to include the license documentation with it. I think he's probably including a copy of DUKE3D.GRP, though, and that would obviously be illegal.

As far as selling maps, I don't know whether that's legal. Maybe it isn't, BUT -- I did a little research on the GNU license a few years ago for a class I was teaching, and the originator of that license makes clear that you can sell the physical medium on which GNU material is distributed. For example, you are allowed to charge $10 for a disk that contains GNU licensed stuff, because you are charging for the disk and not what is on it. Along the same line, he could claim that he is charging for the cost of the download (his bandwidth) and it's not clear that he would be in the wrong (again, assuming that he includes the GNU documentation and not the DUKE3D.GRP).

Don't get me wrong, he is a shady character and I don't approve of what he's doing...but we don't have proof that any laws are being broken.

User is offline   Spiker 

If I were to sum up my life then it probably would be much worse than his. Still I don't ask people for money to pull me out of my misery. How stupid of me! <_< I think I'm going to put some mods on ebay. Who cares if they are not mine, I deserve that money! :P I'm so poor <_<

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

He has every right to sell his work so laissez-faire!

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 25 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

There's no point in getting indignant about it because nobody will actually hand over money for the maps when there's a huge quantity of Duke content that's free and better quality one google search away.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostJames, on Feb 25 2010, 01:32 PM, said:

There's no point in getting indignant about it because nobody will actually hand over money for the maps when there's a huge quantity of Duke content that's free and better quality one google search away.

Except for thoes who don't know any better. Thousands of new people log on to the Internet for the first time every day. They be the suckers.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostVinsaneOne, on Feb 25 2010, 08:22 PM, said:

Except for thoes who don't know any better. Thousands of new people log on to the Internet for the first time every day. They be the suckers.

This is Duke Nukem 3D we're talking about, a relatively obscure by today's standards game. Thousands of people are not going to hand over money for that mod. I doubt even 1 person will.

There's a sucker born every day my friend. Anything can be sold on the internet.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

So you're worried about idiots wasting their money on something like this?

I fail to see the downside.

This is all a little odd. I'm trying to figure out what license the maps come under, presumably they are part of the license for Build.

I'm half tempted to try and obtain¹ the .zip file to see what it is like and see wether it's legal, but I very much doubt anybody will go paying for it, not even idiots or newbies, considering that almost anything you type into google involving Duke Nukem returns a Duke4.net result or DNR.

One thing though... He doesn't say that you need DukePlus, yet it would appear the TC is using it.

¹If you don't know why that is in italics, you were probably silly enough to pay for that "TC"

User is offline   eddym4814 

All it would take is one person downloading this, then uploading it to the net to basically put this guy out of business.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Posteddym4814, on Feb 26 2010, 01:04 AM, said:

All it would take is one person downloading this, then uploading it to the net to basically put this guy out of business.

How nice.

A bunch of assholes making an appearance in this topic.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2010, 02:52 PM, said:

How nice.

A bunch of assholes making an appearance in this topic.

He's an asshole because he pointed out the fact that if someone made the maps available for free (like all other Duke user maps in existence) then it would undermine the attempt at selling them?

It seems like you are trying to start a fight and position yourself as the glorious defender of capitalism, but neither you nor anyone else here is in possession of all the relevant facts -- most importantly, we don't know what the guy is selling. And I doubt anyone is going to pay to find out.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 25 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 26 2010, 02:06 AM, said:

He's an asshole because he pointed out the fact that if someone made the maps available for free (like all other Duke user maps in existence) then it would undermine the attempt at selling them?

He didn't point it out; he suggested it, hence his post.

The moral behind the "community view" seems to be a desire to destroy someone's work.

User is offline   Jblade 

Nobody will buy it, but that's not an excuse to try and find ways around it or stop his work. If he wants to charge for it than if it's fine with the build license or whatever than it's his decision and nobody elses. Some people here are acting as if this is a personal affront to the community when it's not.

This post has been edited by James: 25 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

What's your problem Mikko? Non commercial Duke mods are free. He is using GPL content in his mod. He can't control or limit distribution of that content. It is true that we do not know what is included in his download at this time but once someone does download it they should be free to share it per the GPL. That's my opinion anyway.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2010, 04:32 PM, said:

So you're worried about idiots wasting their money on something like this?

I fail to see the downside.

But there's an upside....I'm not worried, nor do I even care. Throwing in my 2 cents don't indicate either.

User is offline   Gambini 

I fail to see the whole point of this thread started all over the duke forums. The better thing ¨we¨ could do is just not buying his mod. The fact he expects to get monetary benefit from this can be judged only by the people that would buy it, if there is any. At this point i find Commander more annoying than this guy by spamming three forums with the same copied-pasted post. All what he did is to make propaganda.

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostGambini, on Feb 26 2010, 01:20 AM, said:

I fail to see the whole point of this thread started all over the duke forums. The better thing ¨we¨ could do is just not buying his mod. The fact he expects to get monetary benefit from this can be judged only by the people that would buy it, if there is any. At this point i find Commander more annoying than this guy by spamming FOUR forums with the same copied-pasted post. All what he did is to make propaganda.

fixed

User is offline   Gambini 

So is 3d Realms forum still alive?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View Posteddym4814, on Feb 26 2010, 01:58 AM, said:

Non commercial Duke mods are free. He is using GPL content in his mod. He can't control or limit distribution of that content. It is true that we do not know what is included in his download at this time but once someone does download it they should be free to share it per the GPL. That's my opinion anyway.

My statement was normative; you cannot refute it with a positive argument. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2010, 09:27 PM, said:

My statement was normative; you cannot refute it with a positive argument. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Any means of having a civil discussion in this thread has just burst into flame.

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 25 February 2010 - 07:02 PM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Feb 25 2010, 09:27 PM, said:

Okay, Mikko I don't want to fight with you. Let's drop it. I just don't like being called an asshole and I don't think you do either.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options