Duke4.net Forums: I would like a serious public chat with Yatta about the removal of my DNF video topic - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I would like a serious public chat with Yatta about the removal of my DNF video topic  "This is going nowhere fast!"

User is offline   IGSRJARMY 

I find this thread very entertaining. ;)

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

There's no strategy against leaked material.
The material comes from just a handful of obsessed, cyberstalking kids ( the usual suspects ) who spend hours a day snooping around developer blogs and whatnot. They find stuff and spread it.
Only this time before the material was spread further, 3DR was told about it by the one who found the material.
They asked the kid not to do anything with it. Kid got sorta scared, but of course he just had to tell others what he had found anyway.
That's why they look for stuff you know, they love the thrill of the seek and the attention they get when they've found something.
Then it went like; Hey dude, i found somthing..lolz!! I'll show you, if you promise..blabla.
That's how i think it got to some more people. Yatta had some fun with the video, adding sounds and shit, even though we wouldn't use it.
Some others who somehow also got their hands on the raw footage decided to have some fun with it by posting screencaps. Duke4.net had nothing to do with that.
After that, George contacted the scared kid who found it, and the shivering infant pointed George to us. "they must have done it *cry* please don't hurt me.*cry*"
So, basically we didn't create this little mess, but had to sit in it anyway.

User is online   Sangman 

View Post3dwizard, on Feb 1 2010, 06:47 PM, said:

Or do I have to slash my wrists and enter a ritual to be accepted into the secret kult of duke fanbase? ;)

Lol, no, as you may or may not be aware of Duke4 accepts donations and it seems the mentality here is that a donation is basically an investment, so people who donate and care enough about it get on some kind of "Board of Directors", so to speak.

This might not be entirely accurate though, I haven't donated anything myself so I'm not completely sure but I think that's about it.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Bullshit..

User is online   Sangman 

Really? Well that's just the image I got when Yatta mentioned he wasn't the only one taking care of things, along with the talks about money I figured the donation thing would be connected in some way. Sooo why not explain then?

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

Can't tell, you have to donate first. Hehe. ;)

Kidding

It's just a crazy fan site.

The cult is a lie!

User is offline   X-Vector 

Posted Image

User is offline   Justyce 

View PostSplat, on Feb 1 2010, 04:12 PM, said:

Can't tell, you have to donate first. Hehe. ;)

Kidding

It's just a crazy fan site.

The cult is a lie!

The cake is a lie!

User is online   Sangman 

Welcome to 2007 ;)

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

haha. I think Sang and Splat win this thread. That is my vote.

Cyberstalking kids...lol.

That's why they look for stuff you know, they love the thrill of the seek and the attention they get when they've found something.
Then it went like; Hey dude, i found somthing..lolz!! I'll show you, if you promise..blabla.

much lolz to be had.

User is offline   Myriad 

Well let's see what Yatta has to say about leaks:

Yatta said:

You can see that even if the Fair Use Doctrine wasn't protecting Duke4.net (which is not the case), the individual being in deeper legal trouble would be George, not us, if we posted the leaked content.

Yatta said:

The Fair Use Doctrine is a federal law and I could argue that Duke4.net is not only not profiting from posting the images, but also actually raises the hype for the IP and increases potential sales, potential here being the keyword because there are no potential sales with Broussard being any part of the project (it'll never get done, get it? Haha).

That being said, I will also add that the Fair Use Doctrine protects us to the extent that we used the images to report news, and that nothing on our website can really be said to be of a commercial nature considering any revenue from donations, Google ads, or GoG sales are still offset by the server, domain, and general maintenance costs of this website.

The real reason Duke4 removes the links of the vid is because they bend over for 3DRealms.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Feb 1 2010, 07:35 AM, said:

George asked Yatta not to post links to it and he's being kind enough to comply. Obviously, Yatta can't control it's spread on other sites, but this one he can. It's really as simple as that.

Correct. ;)

View Post3dwizard, on Feb 1 2010, 09:23 AM, said:

For his sake, I hope Yatta is censoring this ignorantly and because he respects George Broussard or something similar and not because he fears him.

I absolutely hate censorship. I hate it so much and I totally agree with you. Also, I have neither respect nor fear towards GB. I believe GB is a failure, and my negative views on him have already distanced me from a division of this community. Removing the links is in the interest of this site and its community, and nothing more.

View PostRösti, on Feb 1 2010, 10:02 AM, said:

To prevent even more legal troubles, George simply takes actions towards leaked material (as much as possible), and as Duke4.net is one of the most prominent Duke Nukem fan sites, this is a great place to start. You must argue that many people are desperate to get a glimpse of the game, but until the (legal) hiatus has been solved I believe it is in everyone's best interest to try and not link/market etc. any leaked material. What that German video gaming site does is its own problem, but I guess George is onto that soon as well.

Yes. :P

View PostBbass, on Feb 1 2010, 10:49 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm new here but i've been lurking around for a couple of years (on and off).

I wasn't aware of the strategy regarding leaked material mentioned above but as leaked media is basically impossible to control once it's appeared on more than a few sites, I would suggest keeping such material in this community may have its benefits.

Anyone looking for anything DNF is higly likely to hit upon this site. What makes this site different to others is that there are a lot of people here who are able to look at any media and offer valid opinions or discussions based on historic knowledge of the game. They can quickly identify if something is old, test footage, fake, etc, etc. This information can be clearly published (front page even) to prevent users trawling other generic sites and forming incorrect conclusions from lack of knowledge that other sites may have.

I think Yatta and whoever else is involved with this site do a decent job - they're very liberal in what's allowed and clear when someone is near to crossing a line. That said, I can't help thinking there is a missed opportunity to create something postive from the leaked media that would be of benefit to 3DR (potential damage control), Duke4.net (the place for content) and the visitor (complete and reliable information).

Just an opinion of course!

BBass

Thank you and welcome to the site. Yes, I agree about the missed opportunity. I had created my own trailer from the leaked footage and it actually looked somewhat good (custom Duke voices, better quality, other footage not yet leaked, etc.) but chose not to release it because the short term interest of generating interest and traffic on this website is superseded by lawsuit related headaches that can drag this website down. Believe me, I would have loved to have released the video for Christmas 2009. I could have very well done this if I wasn't concerned.

View PostSplat, on Feb 1 2010, 11:38 AM, said:

So, basically we didn't create this little mess, but had to sit in it anyway.

Correct. We have not been involved in any of the leaks, but people have used our website as a venue for posting the said leaks.

Also, regarding donations to this website--yes, donations are an investment in that they support the website. However, donations are voluntary and donors do not receive favorable treatment. Granted, it is not in the interest of donors for this website to be shut down, and hence it is in our collective decisions to act in the interest of the longevity of Duke4.net.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMyriad, on Feb 1 2010, 03:39 PM, said:

The real reason Duke4 removes the links of the vid is because they bend over for 3DRealms.

Oh yeah, sure, because Yatta, TX, Micki, The Commander, Sang, Mr. Flibble and so many of the other users on here are totally George Broussard groupies. Yeah.

User is offline   Bbass 

Thank you for the welcome Yatta.

From reading a few of the posts here, I don't think some people appreciate how protective and threatening companies can be regarding unlawful use of media. I have seen documentation from a movie company threatening to sue an individual for millions of dollars for potential loss of earnings over "misuse" and "degraded quality" of original images.

Of course such threats made online are normally hot air but personally I think you're right to be cautious.

Just a shame 3DR can't work with D4.net to make something positive out of this mess.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

View PostBbass, on Feb 1 2010, 04:35 PM, said:

Just a shame 3DR can't work with D4.net to make something positive out of this mess.

Definitely a shame but not surprising at all. Even before this mess was born, 3D Realms never supported this website. GB would ignore my e-mails when I requested interviews--I wonder how he'd have felt if I had ignored his e-mails last month when he requested for content to be removed from here.

User is offline   Bbass 

An interesting point.

I'm surprised that somebody at 3DR (even if not GB) didn't give an interview to a site that's clearly benefitting them.

When you consider the amount of money that goes into some promotion and advertising, it's incredible to think that such a basic thing like an interview is refused. Words are cheap by comparison. Take any big film and the stars will be on every talk show. Take a new album and the artist will be on any number of radio shows. It's simply good publicity and it's bizaar that they'd decline the opportunity to promote their products or check in with the fans.

To just ignore emails is somewhat rude though. A simple "thanks but no thanks" at least shows good manners.

Consider yourself the bigger man...

This post has been edited by Bbass: 01 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

User is offline   Montykoro 

View PostYatta, on Feb 1 2010, 09:52 PM, said:

I wonder how he'd have felt if I had ignored his e-mails last month when he requested for content to be removed from here.

Mmmm good one... wanna try?

www.videoleaks.com\duke4never\video.php

;)

User is offline   SBG 

Yatta: I really think you need to make a public site announcement about this who are not getting this. To put it in simple terms for the OP:

3DR is being sued by T2.
Because of this, 3DR is not allowed to leak material. Not entirely certain on the laws regarding it, but it's because T2 owns the publishing rights, and they want their game.
GB is doing all in his power to stop said leaks, as it's not helping him against the case.

Hopefully this helps, but Yatta: seriously make an announcement about this. It's obviously not getting through.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMontykoro, on Feb 1 2010, 05:20 PM, said:

Mmmm good one... wanna try?

www.videoleaks.com\duke4never\video.php

;)

Stop it.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostSBG, on Feb 1 2010, 10:12 PM, said:

Yatta: I really think you need to make a public site announcement about this who are not getting this. To put it in simple terms for the OP:

3DR is being sued by T2.
Because of this, 3DR is not allowed to leak material. Not entirely certain on the laws regarding it, but it's because T2 owns the publishing rights, and they want their game.
GB is doing all in his power to stop said leaks, as it's not helping him against the case.

Hopefully this helps, but Yatta: seriously make an announcement about this. It's obviously not getting through.

That's a good idea, but most importantly, George should make a public site announcement. I can't believe they haven't already if this is such a serious issue. Sure, he made a post in the forums about it, but I nearly missed that. It needs to be front page news. ;)

User is offline   Outtagum 

Maybe someone else can post it on the front page for him? ;)

This post has been edited by Zor: 01 February 2010 - 08:10 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostZor, on Feb 2 2010, 05:09 PM, said:

Maybe someone else can post it on the front page for him? ;)

Whats the password, heh

User is offline   TURBOKID 

3dwizard people on here don't like me very much anyway so i am just going to go ahead and say it. You are 100% right.
I feel that if we are not getting the game then we are entitled to every smidge of media available.
And don't even bother talking crap about me (Sangman and every other jerkwad who can't get their heads out of their asses) Because i was just passing and will more than likely not even see your bitchy replies let alone comment back.
PEACE OUT SUCKAZ!!!!!

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Most opinions on this topic have valid points for both sides. So i'm staying neutral on this one. But one question does come to mind. For thoes who feel that links to this information should not be posted by anyone for any reason, why then not even admit to the fact that you did indeed click on thoes links yourself? You can say you didn't. Not a single one of us that saw this info didn't, and no one would believe you if you said otherwise. Just keeping it real.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The only problem I can see the the trailer that has leaked is that it contains several logos at the start which can raise a lot of red flags.

If said video did not have these logos I think the situation may have been a lot more nicer.

User is offline   Stabs 

ahh it never ends, after 14 years now it still hasn't ended

here is a song i think sums up the whole DNF development process (& this thread)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V8vINCq_IAI

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

Haha!

"What, is the circus in town?"
Bruce Willis in Die Hard 4

User is offline   3dwizard 

It seems that after I contacted them yesterday, I got this leak video on Shacknews http://www.shacknews...article.x/62182 and on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/54....ens-old-wounds
Too late George, I screwed you over and I got it much more public than you wanted it, I hope you are frustrated and you lose concentration at your next lame poker game...

This post has been edited by 3dwizard: 02 February 2010 - 02:08 AM

User is offline   Myriad 

View Post3dwizard, on Feb 2 2010, 03:05 AM, said:

It seems that after I contacted them yesterday, I got this leak video on Shacknews http://www.shacknews...article.x/62182 and on Kotaku http://kotaku.com/54....ens-old-wounds
Too late George, I screwed you over and I got it much more public than you wanted it, I hope you are frustrated and you lose concentration at your next lame poker game...

You did well. I support what you're doing 100%.

User is offline   G3n7r0 

View Post3dwizard, on Feb 2 2010, 11:05 AM, said:

It is interesting to note how most of the people here hold in high regards a character with balls of steel (albeit an imaginary video game character) and when someone with a genuine pair strolls in here, he gets bashed, ignored, trolled upon and almost none of his (mostly legitimate) questions answered.

Kudos for the bravery, 3dwizard.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options