Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: War of Attrition - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: War of Attrition  "Discussion thread for DT's War of Attrition mod"

User is offline   Lunick 

  • Snazzy Ex Tazzy

#91

View Postlostroamer, on Apr 10 2010, 12:38 PM, said:

So far in the mod, I'm at Rabid Transit; I upgraded most of my weapons to level 6, and man were they wonderful. On the subject of the backpacks, I found that if you save before you get a backpack, you can reload until you get the ammo for the weapon you need. (Or, in my case, added max ammo to all of your weapons.)

I suppose you would have to be pretty desperate to do that though lol
0

User is offline   lostroamer 

#92

I personally do that out of wanting to have just enough ammo to get through the first three episodes.

As for the vortex of doom upgrade, I'll save that for after I make it to the first mission of the fourth episode. (I'll also have much more chances at leveling up the expander as I found the cloning ability surprisingly useful.

Edit: By far, the miniboss that I ran into the most was the overlord sentry. (He was more useful in clone form though, as his shotgun devastator attack fairly quickly chews up enemies.

This post has been edited by lostroamer: 10 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

0

#93

Just finished the first random mission episode : the final level (WGFINAL) is EPIC.
In some moments, there were so many explosions, bullets and jibs around that I was dizzy.
And yes, without the expander leveled up you're pretty much hopeless.
0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#94

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Apr 11 2010, 02:28 AM, said:

And yes, without the expander leveled up you're pretty much hopeless.


I didn't have the highest level expander but there were so many nukes lying around that it wasn't too hard.
0

User is offline   lostroamer 

#95

One last thing, is it possible to add custom music to the mod? (for example: the music from the ps1 version of the game.)
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#96

View Postlostroamer, on Apr 11 2010, 09:57 AM, said:

One last thing, is it possible to add custom music to the mod? (for example: the music from the ps1 version of the game.)


You are free to substitute whatever music you want in your copy, but I'm not going to include .ogg music because that would quadruple the file size. Right now the whole mod is about 28MB, and the final version may be smaller as I remove some unneeded stuff.
0

User is offline   lostroamer 

#97

Btw, is it possible to get the bullet and shell casings to fade away? Too many of those can cause the game to lag considerably, and that's on my AMD Athlon 64 processor.
0

User is offline   DuduKrazy 

#98

as i said on my previous thread, i've run into two bugs while playing the mod:

- The first one happens as soon as i kill the Alien Queen in the original missions episode. when i do this, eduke32 crashes.

- The other one happens mostly when i'm attacked by the red protector drone thingy, but i recall this happening on other situations: sometimes i get out of the map boundaries and then i'm dead. i see a white background and a "Squish!" hud message.

also, why did you take out the secret levels from the original missions episode? (as well as Critical Mass and Derelict)

This post has been edited by DuduKrazy: 12 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#99

View PostDuduKrazy, on Apr 12 2010, 10:20 AM, said:

as i said on my previous thread, i've run into two bugs while playing the mod:

- The first one happens as soon as i kill the Alien Queen in the original missions episode. when i do this, eduke32 crashes.

- The other one happens mostly when i'm attacked by the red protector drone thingy, but i recall this happening on other situations: sometimes i get out of the map boundaries and then i'm dead. i see a white background and a "Squish!" hud message.

also, why did you take out the secret levels from the original missions episode? (as well as Critical Mass and Derelict)


Thanks for the bug report...I wish I could fix those, but I don't see anything wrong with the code at the moment. The Queen crash is the most serious, and mysterious. The squish happens because that type of protector drone can grab the player and spin him around. I do check to make sure not to move the player unless the position is in a sector, but apparently that's not good enough. As for leaving out some levels: No episode can have more than 32 levels. I have used all 32 to put the original episodes together but some had to be left out. Maybe it would be better to split that into two episodes.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#100

Attrition has a page at Mod DB now (link in my sig). The download there is for version 1.00, which is now officially released. If you have played the most recent beta, the changes are minor -- some bug fixes (not the bugs mentioned above) and one new enemy attack.

There's no need to point out that the header pic is ripped from the Playstation cover of Time to Kill (with a little PhotoShopping) :o
0

User is offline   DuduKrazy 

#101

is it possible to use the attrition mod with the HRP?
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#102

View PostDuduKrazy, on Apr 12 2010, 11:41 AM, said:

is it possible to use the attrition mod with the HRP?


You've obviously played the game a lot, in order to find those bugs you reported. But somehow you didn't notice that Attrition comes with a .bat file for using the HRP. In fact, there are a few enhancements that only work with the HRP (see the last two screenshots I added on the Mod DB page).
0

User is offline   Jblade 

#103

I played it, and it was enjoyable - I don't have any true meaningful feedback apart from agreeing with Merlijn's post on DNR about running out of ammo even with an upgraded pistol on later levels. The only other thing, and this is a minor minor thing at best, is that I think you should use different sounds from the ones you used in DNWMD and DukePlus. There's nothing wrong with them but I feel like they're more becoming 'DT's trademark sounds' than anything else.

Having said all that I'm not sure where you'd find replacements.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#104

View PostJames, on Apr 12 2010, 12:10 PM, said:

I played it, and it was enjoyable - I don't have any true meaningful feedback apart from agreeing with Merlijn's post on DNR about running out of ammo even with an upgraded pistol on later levels. The only other thing, and this is a minor minor thing at best, is that I think you should use different sounds from the ones you used in DNWMD and DukePlus. There's nothing wrong with them but I feel like they're more becoming 'DT's trademark sounds' than anything else.

Having said all that I'm not sure where you'd find replacements.


I'm not sure what version you played, but I added some new weapon sounds -- some of which I had never used before in any mod -- in the last week. But yes, plenty of familiar sounds remain. I never have a problem with ammo but I agree that the beginning of a level is often the hardest part.
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #105

Aren't a couple of the sounds from DukePlus ones that I gave you to reuse from that Cinema mod I made for Max Payne 2 years ago as well? It can be hard to find or create satisfying new weapon sounds so it's not too bad to reuse them in cases where they fit.
0

User is offline   supergoofy 

#106

1st bug:
Altfire + reload keyboard binding doesn't work. I bind it to num5, but didn't work. Mouse binding (2nd mouse button) works though. Also there is a peculiar character in Altfire reload name.

Also PageUp needed to be bind again to make it work.

I used clean install, new cfg and no texcache.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#107

View Postsupergoofy, on Apr 12 2010, 09:44 PM, said:

1st bug:
Altfire + reload keyboard binding doesn't work. I bind it to num5, but didn't work. Mouse binding (2nd mouse button) works though. Also there is a peculiar character in Altfire reload name.


The character is '&'. I added that at Mikko's request to make it clear that the key is for both functions.

If it works on the mouse but not on the keyboard, then surely it must be an EDuke32 issue, no? I don't see how I could do anything about it at the CON code level.


View Postsupergoofy, on Apr 12 2010, 09:44 PM, said:

Also PageUp needed to be bind again to make it work.

I used clean install, new cfg and no texcache.


Maybe you've forgotten, but this is an old EDuke32 issue, and it's the reason that WGR2 comes with a cfg file. Special keys can't be used until they are deliberately bound to something, even though they have a default binding that is listed. I guess I can start including a cfg file so the keys are pre-bound, but it's annoying.
0

User is offline   supergoofy 

#108

Ok, but currently RELOAD&ALTFIRE keyboard binding is not working, and for someone who plays with keyboard is tough. Basically I have 1st mouse fire, 2nd mouse medkit and num5 altfire/reload. I will have to change my habit. LOL :o :P :(

[edit]

You are right that both are EDuke32 bugs (after few tests I confirmed it). Still though not being able to use num5 for RELOAD&ALTFIRE is bad, even if it's EDuke32's fault. Thus (as a workaround) I changed in ATTGAME.con the RELOAD&ALTFIRE to RELOAD_ALTFIRE (like in last beta of Attrition) and now works ok :o

Attached File(s)



This post has been edited by supergoofy: 13 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

0

#109

Not bad but...
I've got the impression to playing on a different version of DukePlus...

The Sound as says james (I think you should remove the Step Sound and those new sound,and let the original),this randomization of monster (Different Pal+Different Projectile).This laser pistol that we get on Liztroop.What's different to DukePlus?Lot of option were removed,and a XP-style for weapon and item is added...Oh and i forgot the score...But seriously quite useless to the gameplay...

But..That's all...And the fact that we cannot interact with the leveling system (only choose the weapon that we want upgrade)make this system pretty useless and let the gameplay like DukePlus Gameplay...Execepted Nuke,which are really too powerfull

Maybe if we can choose the new ability on the weapon that we want,forcing the player to make choice (Would i prefer get a Throw-Grenader on my shotgun, who can kill all those Liztroop in one shot or a Double Shot that make time to reloading but assure the stun on big Alien and kill all those Commander in one shot?)
Cause for now,we have no choice to upgrade our weapon
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#110

View PostKenny mckormick, on Apr 13 2010, 07:04 AM, said:

Not bad but...
I've got the impression to playing on a different version of DukePlus...

The Sound as says james (I think you should remove the Step Sound and those new sound,and let the original),this randomization of monster (Different Pal+Different Projectile).This laser pistol that we get on Liztroop.What's different to DukePlus?Lot of option were removed,and a XP-style for weapon and item is added...Oh and i forgot the score...But seriously quite useless to the gameplay...

But..That's all...And the fact that we cannot interact with the leveling system (only choose the weapon that we want upgrade)make this system pretty useless and let the gameplay like DukePlus Gameplay...Execepted Nuke,which are really too powerfull

Maybe if we can choose the new ability on the weapon that we want,forcing the player to make choice (Would i prefer get a Throw-Grenader on my shotgun, who can kill all those Liztroop in one shot or a Double Shot that make time to reloading but assure the stun on big Alien and kill all those Commander in one shot?)
Cause for now,we have no choice to upgrade our weapon


I've made no secret of the fact that Attrition is based on Duke Plus. This is what I was able to do, working on it for a few hours a day for less than three months since I had the idea for the mod (and that includes playtesting all of the maps). If I had endless amounts of time to devote to this, maybe I would start from scratch and make something completely different. But as it is, I don't see why the features shared by DukePlus are a bad thing. Besides, if you play through enough levels you will see that the gameplay evolves considerably and becomes less like DukePlus later in the game. DukePlus does have the randomized monster option, but it's crap. It's totally unbalanced, and many of the random monster properties are buggy. I fixed dozens of bugs, made it progressive, added lots of new monster abilities, balanced it, and generally made it fun. As I explained in the first post of this thread, I decided to go without a choice system in order to make the mod more accessible and not break the flow of action. It also made the game easier to balance. You say the nukes are too powerful and some say they are not powerful enough. I think they are about right, but they might be slightly too powerful.
0

User is offline   supergoofy 

#111

Now that I played for a few hours, I can say overall I liked it and it's fun playing it.

It's a good thing that you can keep the abilities and weapon upgrades. What I would like is the option to keep the weapons when you move from map to map, of course with an increased difficulty (e.g. double monsters etc.).

It doesn't bother me that it reminds me DukePlus, in fact it's better that way. But I would like the option to manually upgrade the weapons like in DNWMD. Maybe you can make it, in a future version, so that these score points to count like experience points, that you can spent to upgrade your weapons and abilities.

Also when playing with HRP, I cannot see the laser pistol model (it's only the 2d sprites version). Probably you don't have it yet. I'll try to search for a suitable model.

[edit]

I agree with Mikko_Sandt, if a nuke is not powerful then it's not a nuke.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 14 April 2010 - 02:25 AM

0

User is offline   Mikko 

  • Honored Donor

#112

View PostDeeperThought, on Apr 13 2010, 05:44 PM, said:

You say the nukes are too powerful and some say they are not powerful enough. I think they are about right, but they might be slightly too powerful.


They're powerful, which is the whole point, but you only get three of them (more than enough actually) so the system is balanced as far as I'm concerned.
0

#113

View Postsupergoofy, on Apr 12 2010, 09:23 PM, said:

Ok, but currently RELOAD&ALTFIRE keyboard binding is not working, and for someone who plays with keyboard is tough. Basically I have 1st mouse fire, 2nd mouse medkit and num5 altfire/reload. I will have to change my habit. LOL :o :P :(

[edit]

You are right that both are EDuke32 bugs (after few tests I confirmed it). Still though not being able to use num5 for RELOAD&ALTFIRE is bad, even if it's EDuke32's fault. Thus (as a workaround) I changed in ATTGAME.con the RELOAD&ALTFIRE to RELOAD_ALTFIRE (like in last beta of Attrition) and now works ok :o


The problem seems more serious than that : the RELOAD&ALTFIRE doesn't work at all, regardless of what key you bind with it (I usually use the Right Shift and it not worked, so I tried the "L" key, with no results at all).
I'll try the fix Supergoyf proposed and let you know.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#114

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Apr 14 2010, 07:28 AM, said:

The problem seems more serious than that : the RELOAD&ALTFIRE doesn't work at all, regardless of what key you bind with it (I usually use the Right Shift and it not worked, so I tried the "L" key, with no results at all).
I'll try the fix Supergoyf proposed and let you know.


Are you saying that the problem started after I changed the name from 'RELOADALTFIRE' to 'RELOAD&ALTFIRE' ? If that's causing the problem, then I'll change it back.
0

User is offline   supergoofy 

#115

@DT I already told you that. Don't I? :o

And though that mouse binding works, keyboard binding is not. This is a bug of EDuke32 and the "&" character although works for mouse bindings, it doesn't for keyboard. The character "_" that I used to replace "&" is working for both. TX needs to fix this minor bug, though it may be a bug that comes from the original Duke3D source. Remember that the DOS duke3d.exe was not designed for such non common characters.

By the way I'm planning to record a gameplay video for Attrition (one map from the Random episodes). I have to figure though how fraps works (I hope I don't have problems).

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 14 April 2010 - 07:06 AM

0

#116

Yeah DT, the "&" and Eduke are not friends, it seems.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#117

I'll release version 1.01 soon, with that fixed and some other changes.
0

#118

Another thing I noticed is the strange behaviour of pipebombs in the latest releases of DukePlus and in Attrition too, but I remember someone pointed out is an Eduke issue.
However, for the sake of a complete bug-eradication : sometimes the pipebomb acts crazily after you launch them. They seem to bounce on an invisible wall and the keep on slipping on the floor endlessly and you cannot get it back. It happens often when you try to cast the pipebomb across an obstacle (a crate, a slimer egg and so on).
0

User is offline   The Commander 

  • I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

#119

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Apr 16 2010, 08:12 AM, said:

Another thing I noticed is the strange behaviour of pipebombs in the latest releases of DukePlus and in Attrition too, but I remember someone pointed out is an Eduke issue.
However, for the sake of a complete bug-eradication : sometimes the pipebomb acts crazily after you launch them. They seem to bounce on an invisible wall and the keep on slipping on the floor endlessly and you cannot get it back. It happens often when you try to cast the pipebomb across an obstacle (a crate, a slimer egg and so on).

I found that the vent in E1L2 in the strip club bit is a prone target for that happening.
0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#120

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Apr 15 2010, 01:12 PM, said:

Another thing I noticed is the strange behaviour of pipebombs in the latest releases of DukePlus and in Attrition too, but I remember someone pointed out is an Eduke issue.
However, for the sake of a complete bug-eradication : sometimes the pipebomb acts crazily after you launch them. They seem to bounce on an invisible wall and the keep on slipping on the floor endlessly and you cannot get it back. It happens often when you try to cast the pipebomb across an obstacle (a crate, a slimer egg and so on).


That happens if the pipebomb bounces off of a sprite. EDIT: But only certain sprites. I have also heard that it is an eduke issue, although I haven't confirmed that it happens in the unmodified game. In any event, there's nothing in my code that would explain it.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 15 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options