Duke4.net Forums: WG Realms 2 Episode 1 Released! - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG Realms 2 Episode 1 Released!

User is offline   ZedDB 

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 10 2009, 02:16 AM, said:

Sorry about that. I think you could have avoided all that by simply starting eduke32.exe and and selecting WGR2_EP as the custom content directory. Please let me know if there are any case problems. There are probably some sounds that have some uppercase characters in their filenames but not in their paths, or vice versa (the log should say which files it isn't finding).

I didn't get tp play much before I ran into the dreaded sound freeze issue. But in that time I didn't get any missing files errors IIRC. I'm also working on a .ogg music pack for all the people out there that doesn't have working midi playback in eduke! I've ran most of the mids though my 1.5gb sample set and exported then to .ogg But because some convertions didn't turn out that great I've included the non midi versions of some the music (cave, warlord, wgx3 and wgx6). Are you interested in hosting the music pack? I don't really know any good place to upload it to. :)

This post has been edited by ZedDB: 09 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZedDB, on Nov 9 2009, 05:37 PM, said:

I didn't get tp play much before I ran into the dreaded sound freeze issue. But in that time I didn't get any missing files errors IIRC. I'm also working on a .ogg music pack for all the people out there that doesn't have working midi playback in eduke! I've ran most of the mids though my 1.5gb sample set and exported then to .ogg But because some convertions didn't turn out that great I've included the non midi versions of some the music (warlord, wgx3 and cave). Are you interested in hosting the music pack? I don't really know any good place to upload it to. :)

That's an interesting idea, but if we're going to provide an ogg option for the music, I think they should be serious music and not conversions of midis. I think some of the tunes included in the game have versions over at Overclock Remix.

EDIT: By the way, a full set of oggs for the TC would take more space than the TC itself. Just saying.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 09 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

User is offline   ZedDB 

Ye, you are probably right. I've uploaded them anyways so that others that doesn't have midi playback can listen to the music too! :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AK4U1FF7
Extract it in you WGR2_EP1 folder and then add "include music.def" to the "wgr2.def" file!
If something is wrong please let me know.
Edit: Doh! seems like I forgot to check the music.def for errors... >< Replace all "(" with "{"
Now i must go to sleep. its 0330 over here ~_~

This post has been edited by ZedDB: 09 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZedDB, on Nov 9 2009, 06:25 PM, said:

Ye, you are probably right. I've uploaded them anyways so that others that doesn't have midi playback can listen to the music too! :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AK4U1FF7

Wow, it is weird hearing those as oggs. The results were mixed. In some ways they sound better than the midis, in some ways worse. Some of them turned out badly (e.g. title.ogg) while others turned out very well (e.g. bosfight.ogg). Thanks for your effort, it was entertaining even if we don't use any of them.

EDIT: LOL, boss3.ogg sounds like it came from a game called "Donkey Kong's Gay Jungle Kart Race"

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 09 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

An updated version is now available. Check the first post for details.

User is offline   ZedDB 

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 10 2009, 03:57 AM, said:

Wow, it is weird hearing those as oggs. The results were mixed. In some ways they sound better than the midis, in some ways worse. Some of them turned out badly (e.g. title.ogg) while others turned out very well (e.g. bosfight.ogg). Thanks for your effort, it was entertaining even if we don't use any of them.

EDIT: LOL, boss3.ogg sounds like it came from a game called "Donkey Kong's Gay Jungle Kart Race"

Thank you. About boss3 you are right XD The thing is that i don't know how it should sound :)
Edit: seems like none of my soundfont have all the instruments to correctly playback boss3 :) They default to some other instrument instead and the result is somewhat amusing

This post has been edited by ZedDB: 10 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

Little graphics bug in new release: Some game objects and item inventary icons leterally "jump" and show white lines on the ground. I guess a sprite frame is mess.

Posted Image

BTW this TC reminds me the first Turok game for certain verse.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

So, I was replying to this thread with a couple of questions on things I found annoying about this TC, and I ended up writing a decent length opinionated rant about what has annoyed the shit out of me so far with very little positive feedback thrown in. It's nothing personal, in fact I consider DeeperThought to be a good friend of mine these days, but I've decided to post it anyway because I still think it's valid feedback. Here it is:

Why does everything in this TC have some lasting effect that keeps damaging you for 15 seconds every time you get hit? It's really goddamn annoying. I'm playing the first boss battle or whatever, and it's just stupid... you either get hit by spider webs, which stick you in place, or you get poisoned, which drains your health, or you get set on fire, which also drains your health, or you get frozen, which presumably slows you down while draining your health.

And then there's the fact that whatever health draining affliction of the second will actually kill you, instead of just dropping your health to 1 like every sane game ever made. What the fuck? I understand gameplay concepts like these, but they come from games where the player can carry around a ton of health flasks and heal himself at the drop of a hat. You'd think the player could at least be thrown a bone here... more health packs, maybe some armor, spawn "Doom Health" in the middle of the arena when the boss changes from fire to ice, whatever. But no, there's nothing like that, just more annoying shit that spawns.

This just seems really poorly balanced. I feel like I can't even throw a pipebomb half the time, because there is a ridiculous amount of shit just constantly shooting from all directions. The pipebombs actually seem to have detonated in mid air because of it on more than one occasion.

And then, even when I killed the boss there was no health buff or anything as a reward... just more stupid spiders all over the place (seriously, is killing the boss a trigger for spawning more of them or something?), more stupid afflictions that keep draining your health, and more frustration. I don't think there were even any health packs or anything to replenish what was lost in the battle before being made to fight another swarm of shit shooting from all directions in the beginning of the next map.

So, congratulations on creating a mod that is simultaneously both one of the coolest I've played and the gayest thing ever. Been playing shooters since I was a little kid and I have never been this irritated with a game. How is it that I can have nearly 100 health but as soon as I get hit once during some battles I know I'm going to have to quickload because of all the ridiculous faggotry going on? I get the feeling you guys tested this mostly on lower skill settings or with god mode or other cheats enabled way too often. And it's not like I suck, either; ask anyone who has ever had the misfortune of deathmatching me what happened and they will probably try and press charges against me for forced sodomy with a virtual firearm.

Good thing I never granted your request for a feature to stop the player from saving whenever he wanted! :) Sorry for the negative review, the TC just needs a bit more work in the gameplay balancing department in my opinion. Otherwise, I really like it... I'm impressed with the mapping, the sprites (they're very good rips/combinations of existing artwork), the sound is good, and the majority of the CON effects have been awesome so far. I'm still gonna play it through to the end, but I have to take breaks often because of how irritated some of it is making me.

Edit: okay, so I just played most of the second level and I wasn't really annoyed at all. In fact, it was pretty bad ass. Maybe it's just that first boss battle that pissed me off because absolutely everything that hit you would penalize you for so long. *shrug*

User is offline   Spiker 

I totally disagree with TX. The game isn't annoying and the difficulty is ok.

Soon I'm going to post a playthrough of the first episode in HD quality on "It's a good day to die" skill. So far I have 4 parts done and I'm in the middle of the second level.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I agree with TX about the difficulty. I use a lot of Save/Load in many levels, maybe my skill sucks...whatever... *facepalm*

Hmm.. I have a question : When player's POW is > 60, when you get a hit from enemy, it will drop to 50.
Even I have 100, and get a hit, one ****ing hit, it drop to 50. I don't think it is normal...
(Oh... if it's normal... maybe I shouldn't save a lot of POW next time... :) )

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 10 November 2009 - 05:11 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I'm playing it on "Let's Rock" and I'm not having a very hard of time of it compared to some, but I don't know what skill level they're trying. My health usually hovers around 90 to 110. I died once during the first boss fight because I wasn't sure what to expect and I didn't use my POW. The second go around I used my POW to summon the minotaurs then strafe fired with the double barreled shotgun and pretty much wiped the floor with it. I walked in with around 117 health and left with around 110.

Although those green bog monster looking things that make smaller versions of themselves when you shoot them are annoying. If one gets too close you stick to it like glue and it drains your health for quite a bit of time even after you escape it.

User is offline   Sangman 

Perhaps I should put this in a different thread, but I guess this will have to do for now:

I can run it on my PC, however I get a lot of screen flickering for some reason and I can't capture it on a screenshot.

My log in tiny-letter mode (copy-paste to Notepad or smth, don't want to clutter up the thread too much :))

EDuke32 2.0.0devel 20091106
addsearchpath(): Added C:/WGR2/
Loading opengl32.dll
Loading glu32.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Using config file 'eduke32.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Found no recognized GRP files!
addsearchpath(): Added C:/WGR2/WGR2_EP1/
Warning: could not find main group file 'duke3d.grp'!
Using group file 'WGR2_EP1/WGR2.GRP'.
Compiling: EDUKE.CON (20 bytes)
Including: WGR2GAME.CON (653983 bytes)
Using DEF file: wgr2.def.
Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote eduke32_binds.cfg
Using config file 'WGR2_EP1/wgr2.cfg'.
Including: WGR2DEFS.CON (62658 bytes)
Including: WGR2USER.CON (70418 bytes)
WGR2GAME.CON: In state `raincode':
WGR2GAME.CON:9510: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON:9511: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON: In actor `LSTRIKE':
WGR2GAME.CON:18502: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON:18502: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
WGR2GAME.CON:18510: warning: found `ifsound' outside of a local event.
Found 5 warning(s), 0 error(s).
Resizing code buffer to 90549*4 bytes
Relocating compiled code from to 0x7e750008 to 0xf5b2088
Script compiled in 60ms
Compiled code size: 90541*4 bytes, version 1.4+
Pointer bitmap size: 11319 bytes
2960/11264 labels, 502/2048 variables
354/16384 quotes, 0 quote redefinitions
44/88 event definitions, 357 defined actors
Initialized 32.0M cache
Loading 'wgr2.def'
Definitions file 'wgr2.def' loaded.
RTS file DUKE.RTS was not found
Initializing OSD...
Switching kb layout from 00000813 to 00000409
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached input devices
* MOUSE: Mouse
* KEYBOARD: Keyboard
Executing "WGR2_EP1/wgr2_binds.cfg"
Setting video mode 1024x768 (32-bit fullscreen)
OpenGL Information:
Version: 2.1.2
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce GTX 260M/PCI/SSE2
Initializing music...
Initializing sound...
CONLOGVAR: L=536 grasscount (Global) =6036
Cache time: 805ms
E1L1: NEXUS
Saved screenshot to duke0002.tga
SCREEN SAVED
UDP networking uninitialized successfully.

Uninitializing DirectInput...
Wrote WGR2_EP1/wgr2.cfg
Wrote WGR2_EP1/wgr2_binds.cfg
Uninitializing DirectDraw...

The flickering gets worse as I decrease resolution, my bet is it's related to my video card.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 10 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Nov 10 2009, 04:55 AM, said:

Edit: okay, so I just played most of the second level and I wasn't really annoyed at all. In fact, it was pretty bad ass. Maybe it's just that first boss battle that pissed me off because absolutely everything that hit you would penalize you for so long. *shrug*

One of the projectiles fired by the boss spawns monsters on impact (either a spider or an axe demon at random). So if you aren't efficient about killing the boss, the situation can quickly get out of hand. The projectile does refrain from spawning if there is already a spawned monster nearby, but still... Just to warn you, the boss at the end of level 2 does something similar, so prepare to be annoyed shitless again when you get there.

Whenever I play, I usually have at least 40 stored POW by the time I reach the boss. I use it and he's dead pretty quickly (the lightning takes care of anything he spawns). But even without that, relying heavily on guided rockets makes the fight fairly easy. His second form is immune to rockets though, so by that time you will need to use something else (double barreled shotgun at close range is the best option). The spawned monsters can be a real nuisance if the fight drags on, although they do drop helpful stuff (the spiders drop +5 health vials and the axe demons drop regular shotgun ammo).

I was trying to strike a balance between making the boss easy enough for a new player but not ridiculously easy for someone who knows the TC. I'll probably alter or get rid of his second form (the one where he shoots projectiles that can freeze you) and make him spawn fewer monsters or no monsters, and then figure out some way to still make him at least a little challenging.

EDIT: Here's the proposed change to the first boss, which only took a moment to add. He will not have a second form unless you play on Come Get Some or higher. His projectiles will not spawn additional monsters unless you play on the hardest difficulty.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 10 November 2009 - 08:46 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on Nov 10 2009, 12:24 AM, said:

Little graphics bug in new release: Some game objects and item inventary icons leterally "jump" and show white lines on the ground. I guess a sprite frame is mess.

Posted Image

Are you using the bloom hack? If so, then that's most likely your problem and it isn't a bug in the mod. We didn't change anything between the initial version and the current one that could possibly cause that.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostTX, on Nov 10 2009, 02:55 PM, said:

Why does everything in this TC have some lasting effect that keeps damaging you for 15 seconds every time you get hit? It's really goddamn annoying. I'm playing the first boss battle or whatever, and it's just stupid... you either get hit by spider webs, which stick you in place, or you get poisoned, which drains your health, or you get set on fire, which also drains your health, or you get frozen, which presumably slows you down while draining your health.

I too complained about this and recommended that such attacks be removed entirely.

Good thing I never granted your request for a feature to stop the player from saving whenever he wanted!

The betas had a feature which punished you for saving so that you lost quite a lot of health every time you loaded an "illegal save". Good thing the system seems to have been removed.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 10 2009, 08:25 AM, said:

I too complained about this and recommended that such attacks be removed entirely.

They were toned down in some respects because of your feedback. Aside from the first boss battle (which I have already tweaked for the next update), I think it's fine now. I notice TerminX was the only one complaining about status attacks in the current version, and that criticism was mostly because of the first boss battle (if I understood him correctly).

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 10 2009, 08:25 AM, said:

The betas had a feature which punished you for saving so that you lost quite a lot of health every time you loaded an "illegal save". Good thing the system seems to have been removed.

Yeah, that's been gone for about a month now. There were an ample number of save points, including ones near the bosses, so imho it wasn't too bad, but I do see the other side of it. I like having save points in some games, like Diablo II, but for some reason it wasn't adding any fun in this TC. The last straw was the freeze crashes relating to the new EDuke32 sound system. If you game can crash at any time, you have to let the player save when he wants.

User is offline   MetHy 

My biggest problem when playing this wasn't the mod itself but eduke32 that kept on crashing. It must have crashed at least 20 times if not more, anybody who's seen me play it live could be the witness of that. Sometimes it would crash after 20 seconds, and some other times I would even have to reboot the computer entirely. And don't give me that "save often" bullshit, that's not a solution.

View PostSpiker, on Nov 10 2009, 05:05 AM, said:

Soon I'm going to post a playthrough of the first episode in HD quality on "It's a good day to die" skill. So far I have 4 parts done and I'm in the middle of the second level.

Awesome I cant wait to see it. (y)

User is offline   XThX2 

Despite what a few said, I like the difficulty. In fact, it was kind of too easy for me on Come get Some, I started to play the game on hardest setting :) I'm about to finish it, but yeah you need to save a lot because of all the afflictions :)

Anyway, great mod, gets me to play it again ;) What more can I say ! Except for good luck with next release!!!

User is offline   Jblade 

I really enjoyed it, but I do agree with TX's criticisms - it was more difficult for me partly due to framerate things but I dislike health draining attacks in a mod like this. It just seems a strangely realistic feature to have in a fantasy world. If there was things that went more into RPG territory like equipment and status shields and stuff I wouldn't mind but it means that it's almost impossible to not take any damage in a fight. That and most of the bosses seem to have huge amounts of health.

The only other criticism I have is level design; it's detailed stuff, but I think the colours are bit too much at times. There doesn't seem to be much cohesion between ones used in a certain area and it comes off as a bit too chaotic. The scale of the levels was impressive though :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSpiker, on Nov 10 2009, 05:05 AM, said:

I totally disagree with TX. The game isn't annoying and the difficulty is ok.

I was going to do that myself, and then I was going to take clips from the playthrough and use them to make a new trailer. In fact I'll probably still do that, because the only copy of your movies that I'll get is what you post, not the source files, and I would need the source files to make a trailer. Unless you want to try making a trailer yourself :) Talk to me first if you do, though.

On the subject of status attacks: There is an enviro suit that you get at the end of level 1 that reduces or eliminates status attacks (you can't even exit the level without opening the chest that gives it to you). Unfortunately, it is the only one in the game and it usually runs out by about halfway through level 2. WG and I talked about adding second suit in a secret area. But maybe the second suit should be in a NON-secret area near the end of level 2.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 10 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

The first boss is piss-easy if you saved up your POW (he's dead in less then a minute and his hits won't hurt you, since one of the POW-functions is stealing health from your enemies), so I'd suggest doing that if you find the battle too hard. :)

I agree that the battle can be quite fustrating without it though, with all the different monsters attacking from all sides. So yeah, removing those spawning monsters would make that battle more fair.
I've never minded the freeze/heat effects, they make the game more challenging and I like them.

Also, strangely enough I haven't experienced ANY crashed so far, and I've finished the game. Currently I'm half-way trough my second playtrough, on a higher difficulty. Pretty weird how much this differs between players, since Methy gets an awful lot of crashes. :)

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 10 November 2009 - 10:59 AM

The first battle was good for me,nothing special,not execeptionnal,but good...

But the 2nd Boss was really annoying...you don't see him correctly (even with SpiritVision) is really boring,and he block too easy your attack...Always attack at the same moment (when he flash) is boring,and he do a turning back when you attack him from behind,that's Boring too...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostKenny mckormick, on Nov 10 2009, 12:17 PM, said:

But the 2nd Boss was really annoying...you don't see him correctly (even with SpiritVision) is really boring

I'm changing that now. All enemies with the curse aura will become completely visible when goggles are used.

User is offline   ZedDB 

Game crashes after i finish "Hell freezes over" no error messages or any thing in console :S
Is there any debug mode I can compile in?

This post has been edited by ZedDB: 10 November 2009 - 12:34 PM

User is offline   XThX2 

About the 2nd boss, could you decrease the change of him using his shield ? It needs perfect timing to land shots and it can take really long to beat him. He always guards him with shield the moment I press attack.

(On hardest difficulty, I spent nearly more than 5 minutes to beat him alone :/, not counting the 2 times I died :) )

This post has been edited by XThX2: 10 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZedDB, on Nov 10 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

Game crashes after i finish "Hell freezes over" no error messages or any thing in console :S
Is there any debug mode I can compile in?

Oh, I forgot that linux users can't use the eduke32.exe included with the TC. You had to compile from the last available source, and that source had a bug which corrupted variables in cached maps, causing the crash when you grab the scroll at the end of the game which takes you back to the hub map. Hopefully TerminX will make that new source available soon.

Until then, here's how you can see the ending:

Spoiler

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm playing on Its a Good Day to Die, and I really have got to agree with TX. My main buff is the Shotgun Sargent Hell Knight though. Seriously overpowered.

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 10 2009, 09:33 PM, said:

I'm changing that now. All enemies with the curse aura will become completely visible when goggles are used.

Cool,i just finished the episode (du to Sleeping-in-School) and i've really love it..Gameplay maybe need some readjustements,but good in general for me...Most of monster shoot projectile,that the player can avoid,and make this TC different,and its now possible to place a lot of monster..(for me duke nukem original solo is boring sometime,cause most of monster shoot bullet)...

Just a few thing...

1.Yes this guys is too powerfull,maybe give him a single projectile,or make them more close each other,and with lesser damage...
2.The last boss is very easy if you have pow,you just have to shoot him with chaingun,and he will be on fire for the time where you must find it,and the flames make him easy to see and shoot...and anyways,if you have enough chaingun ammo,the fire will kill him...
3.I'm not sure,but i think the "sound bug" quand be fixed by pressing "game pause"
4.I've a good CPU,3go RAM,XP,9500 nvidia...Everything is ok,i don't get lag on this mod execepted when...I shoot with BFG when there is a lot of monster (in hell freeze over) there is a big lag du to the number of blood and other thing who spawn...

There's one thing that I cannot understand : the frozen level is supposed to be a secret or not ? 'Cause when I finished the second level I was taken back to the Nexus...
Another thing : it's possible to make some of the cosmetic graphic effects optional ? The snow on the frozen level is a killer for my FPS...

Edit : regarding the warp back to the Nexus, it happened with the old Cons, I still have to re-play the game with the updates.

This post has been edited by Headless_Horseman: 10 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options