• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG Realms 2 Episode 1 Released!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Okay now, this is fucking odd.

Here's what happens: If I move the mouse to, say, the right, the player view moves to the right by a very small amount and then stops even though I keep moving the mouse. If I want to take the look further to the right, I have to lift the entire mouse and repeat the process.

Also, is there any good reason why the game ignores all my config files from the old WGR2 beta directory (or any Duke3D directory) so that I have to assign keys manually as well as graphic settings?

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 08 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

yeah. I just moved the loose .art files in the duke directory to somewhere else. everything's fine now.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 8 2009, 11:07 AM, said:

Here's what happens: If I move the mouse to, say, the right, the player view moves to the right by a very small amount and then stops even though I keep moving the mouse. If I want to take the look further to the right, I have to lift the entire mouse and repeat the process.

WGR2 doesn't do anything with mouse movement, you must be having a problem with the included build of EDuke32.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 8 2009, 11:07 AM, said:

Also, is there any good reason why the game ignores all my config files from the old WGR2 beta directory (or any Duke3D directory) so that I have to assign keys manually as well as graphic settings?

Just copy your old cfgs into the WGR2_EP1 folder.

User is offline   Gambini 

It does reset the config files, Mikko is right. But i assume he already checked the configuration of mouse x y scales and sensivility.

Perhaps it's only a problem of mine (I've only 256 megs of ram), but the Eduke snapshot that goes with WGR2 has a real memory leak problem. There are countless slowdowns and I'm forced to save and exit frequently or XP just close Eduke with an "too few virtual memory" error.
These memory leaks infested older Eduke versions (I got the same problems playing with DNWMD some time ago), but disappeared with the latest stable snapshot before Polymer. Now they're back. Fuck.

P.S. : WGR better than WGR2 ? That's crazy talks, IMHO.

This post has been edited by Headless_Horseman: 08 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCraigFatman, on Nov 8 2009, 10:47 AM, said:

The TC itself is full of things borrowed from different games, there are very few original things. Definitely, this is bad.

Are you talking only about the sprites and textures? It's true that most of those are ripped or edited, although I wouldn't minimize the work of Cage in making all those completely new weapons. However, all the level design and coding were done from scratch, which is a lot of new stuff. Even the ripped enemies have original code and attacks, and there are tons of original features, like the POW system to give one example.

However, I've noticed COUNTLESS bugs with textures, geometry etc. I had several crashes when just walking around.

There is a known EDuke32 problem which leads to crashes and is related to the new sound system. These are the only crashes we have been having in testing (we know they are caused by the sound system because the crashes stop when sound is disabled). I don't believe your crashes were caused by level geometry. However, if you don't mind taking the time to provide a few screenshots showing some of the bugs you have found, we would appreciate it and will fix them.

I don't like the new HUD at all, random and untidy. HUD weapon sprites look just ugly. And I found irritating those souls following me everywhere. Duke 3D isn't like Oddworld.
Imho, first WGR was better.

Everyone else thinks the weapons look good (I think they are great myself). Sorry you didn't like them. The souls can get annoying if they are following you for very long. I was thinking about making them fuse together to make a smaller number of bigger ones.

@HH We had to use this build of EDuke32, even though it is not an official build, because it fixes a serious bug which would cause WGR2 to crash every time near the end of the game. Hopefully the remaining bugs will be fixed soon.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 08 November 2009 - 01:29 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

About the SOULS, I was thinking that maybe when they are a certain distance to the player that they could turn transparent. Would make it easier for when I'm sniping with the Slug as I would be able to see through them.
Maybe a distance of say 2048?

User is offline   XThX2 

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 8 2009, 01:28 PM, said:

... like the POW system to give one example.

... However, if you don't mind taking the time to provide a few screenshots showing some of the bugs you have found, we would appreciate it and will fix them.

Everyone else thinks the weapons look good (I think they are great myself). Sorry you didn't like them. The souls can get annoying if they are following you for very long. I was thinking about making them fuse together to make a smaller number of bigger ones.

* POW is one boss ownage system when maxed out. The idea of skills are good too! (Especially the lightning aura)

* The texture bugs are usually misalignments at some areas (Mostly near watery areas) and their edges. (I can think of the purple water zone right now)

* I think every weapon except for the chainsaw is looking great. I also noticed, why is it not repeating like a chaingun ? It is like 3 cuts then wait a second; but the chainsaw is still displaying cutting frames during that.

Also, a question of curiosity. Will we be holding the script we obtained at the end of episode 1 during all episodes ? (Or, a more general question, will we have our stats (max life/ammo) kept for other episodes as in a RPG game ?)

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostXThX2, on Nov 8 2009, 02:02 PM, said:

Also, a question of curiosity. Will we be holding the script we obtained at the end of episode 1 during all episodes ? (Or, a more general question, will we have our stats (max life/ammo) kept for other episodes as in a RPG game ?)

The scroll you get at the end of the first episode is like a town portal that can take you back to the hub level at any time, but it can only be used in the first episode maps. The second episode will have a different scroll at the end. You will get to keep your stats from one episode to the next, although you will have to start over again with each new release because the code will be updated (old saved games won't be valid). The original plan was that the episodes could be done in any order. That means for example you could do episode two first, then return to the hub level and do episode three and finally episode one. When all three episodes have been conquered, there will be a final challenge that gets unlocked. And there's also another big thing in planning that I'm not mentioning.

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm doing a live feed of the game right now:

http://www.livestream.com/DanielG

Should be fun.

EDIT: It was fun for a while, but the live streaming software started giving me BSOD.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 08 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

I go partially AWOL for the weekend and look what happens!

Won't get a chance to play it for another few days most likely :)

• Duke Plus Developer

I have updated the first post with an attachment that fixes a few bugs. These are minor fixes only.

EDIT 2: Bleh, I'm a bigger fool than I realized, since what I saw and thought I was being a fool about before turned out to be the wrong mod info [what I thought was the WGR2 info was actually info for one of WG's older Medieval modifications, not WGR2 at all ._.]

Basically I wanted to ask WG or DT now that I know for sure: Are either if you going to update the Modifications page on the EDuke32 wiki with WGR2 and it's information? I want there, didn't see it, then considered adding a mention of it for you guys, but then figured one of you would be best to do it instead if such was your intention, since you know all the full information a lot of us wouldn't.

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 08 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

View PostHeadless_Horseman, on Nov 9 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

P.S. : WGR better than WGR2 ? That's crazy talks, IMHO.

I'd say why. WGR felt like Duke, and WGR2 is a strange mix of Doom, Quake, Hexen and other crap. Imho, the TC lacks style uniqueness a bit...

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 9 2009, 12:28 AM, said:

However, if you don't mind taking the time to provide a few screenshots showing some of the bugs you have found, we would appreciate it and will fix them.

Sure, here are some level flaws.

Attached Image: wgrbug0.png
This HUB.MAP stairway has one step twice wide, and one of the sides (top-left corner) has improper texture.

Attached Image: wgrbug1.png
These walls seem to have wrong texture.

Attached Image: wgrbug2.png
This elevator transport SUDDENLY changes its exit side when activated.

Besides, I found an underwater door which lets Duke breath inside it. Btw, certain door walls have odd alignment, are they supposed to be ceiling aligned?

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 09 November 2009 - 05:03 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

they are pretty minor flaws all in all, but flaws none the less

i just wish there was some fog fx in these maps, they are practically begging for it
would of done wonders for the atmosphere

next swamp has to be white fog hexen style :)

User is offline   Sangman 

CraigFatMan, while your criticism is somewhat valid you're really nitpicking a lot.

View PostSangman, on Nov 9 2009, 03:05 PM, said:

CraigFatMan, while your criticism is somewhat valid you're really nitpicking a lot.

Maybe... I'm trying to be objective, though sometimes I pay too much attention to certain things which people usually overlook. My main fault here is a poor ability to distinguish the major from the minor... Everything appears important and necessary.

User is offline   Player Lin 

This mod is awesome, I love it! :)
I can't wait to play more levels! :)

But I can't play it with polymer renderer, because the fps is damned low(8-2x fps, sometimes when more effects happens, and fps drop to 1 with some seconds...) in most open areas on my 8600GT... I switched to polymost and it runs fine as hell(60-4xx fps...WTF?).

I'm not blame about the renderer but it just doesn't work with me and my computer, sorry. ;)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 09 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCraigFatman, on Nov 9 2009, 02:03 AM, said:

I'd say why. WGR felt like Duke, and WGR2 is a strange mix of Doom, Quake, Hexen and other crap. Imho, the TC lacks style uniqueness a bit...

Sure, here are some level flaws.

Attachment wgrbug0.png
This HUB.MAP stairway has one step twice wide, and one of the sides (top-left corner) has improper texture.

Attachment wgrbug1.png
These walls seem to have wrong texture.

Attachment wgrbug2.png
This elevator transport SUDDENLY changes its exit side when activated.

Besides, I found an underwater door which lets Duke breath inside it. Btw, certain door walls have odd alignment, are they supposed to be ceiling aligned?

I knew about the elevator exit side switch thing but had forgotten to tell WG. The big stair in HUB.map I noticed too, but I figured it was because whoever made the staircase in the game world had done an imperfect job so it didn't bother me. The wrong textures are indeed wrong.

I asked WG about the underwater doors that allow breathing last month, and he said that the door sector cannot be tagged both as underwater and as a door, and I didn't think it was worth trying to fix with a hack (especially since the player needs air at that point in the tunnel anyway).

Thanks for your report.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlayer Lin, on Nov 9 2009, 06:48 AM, said:

This mod is awesome, I love it! :)
I can't wait to play more levels! :)

But I can't play it with polymer renderer, because the fps is damned low(8-2x fps, sometimes when more effects happens, and fps drop to 1 with some seconds...) in most open areas on my 8600GT... I switched to polymost and it runs fine as hell(60-4xx fps...WTF?).

I'm not blame about the renderer but it just doesn't work with me and my computer, sorry. ;)

That's normal. Polymer uses more resources when rendering large numbers of sprites and stuff. Also, flickering dynamic lights are all over the map in Polymer.

User is offline   XThX2 

View PostDeeperThought, on Nov 9 2009, 07:37 AM, said:

I asked WG about the underwater doors that allow breathing last month, and he said that the door sector cannot be tagged both as underwater and as a door, and I didn't think it was worth trying to fix with a hack (especially since the player needs air at that point in the tunnel anyway).

There's SE31 and 32 for a reason :)

The only thing you mentioned I would care to fix is the lava texture, and "maybe" the underwater door. Everything else has a reason to be the way it is, and is too minor to bother with.

User is offline   Geoffrey 

I wouldn't fix those small things either, but there are some areas that do need touching up. The giant staircase/tower in the first/second map (not sure) lacked any form of shading and looked really bad, and in one map there was an elevator which was a square block - it looked almost acceptable because the textures and hud were there to back the theme up, but as a map itself it looked really bad.

Though I understand if you're not interested in any of that - I wouldn't be.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Nov 8 2009, 08:07 PM, said:

I've got the same problem right here, but not as severe as you describe. I can look to the right pretty far, then it seems to get stuck, I have to look to the left or lift the mouse to be able to look the right. Strangely it doesn't always do it... Do you by any chance have a Trust Predator mouse? I might try playing around with Eduke32's mouse settings, see if mouse smoothing has something to do with it...

Anyway, I've played a little while until it just completely crashed a few minutes ago. What I've seen from it is pretty awesome :) , but I'm afraid I'll have to start all over now... :)

Edit: Screwing around with the mouse settings didn't solve the problem. Oh and looking to the left does not 'unstuck' the mouse btw, only lifting up does... very strange indeed. And it only does it when looking to the right... ;)

This post has been edited by SkullHacker: 09 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSkullHacker, on Nov 9 2009, 11:29 PM, said:

Do you by any chance have a Trust Predator mouse?

Creative's Fatal1ty mouse, the gaming mouse.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm playing it. Not quite sure what to think. I like somethings, and I really don't like some things. I'm on Evil Awakens and it's already been 59 minutes, and I just got to the giant staircase thing. I hate the Shotgun Sargent Hell Knights, fucking annoying.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I had a few crashes. Checked the log. Why does the game expect WGR2.GRP in two different locations? It wants it in the WGR2_EP1 folder and it also wants it in a folder that isn't included: WGR2_CONTENT.

Anyway, made the folder and copied WGR2.GRP to the second folder. No crashes since. Probably not even related.

User is offline   ZedDB 

Had some problems getting it running on linux. At first it complained that it didn't find wgr2.cfg and then if i chose to use the default eduke32.cfg it crashed with: "eduke32: Fatal IO error 22 (Invalid argument) on X server �."
But according to the eduke log it does find wgr2.cfg.. Anyhow I replaced the wgr2.cfg with my eduke32.cfg and converted the wgr2.bat so an .sh file and added "--cfg WGR2_EP1/wgr2.cfg" and eduke didn't complain anymore I could finally play! :)
However the x server error comes back from time to time when I try to start wgr2. But in most cases all I have to do is to launch eduke again and it works... O_o
Don't have any problems like these with vanilla duke :S

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on Nov 9 2009, 04:54 PM, said:

Why does the game expect WGR2.GRP in two different locations?

Because there is an outdated command in the .bat file that I should have deleted. It will be fixed in the next update. Your crashes are unrelated (if they were freezes, then they were probably examples of the dreaded eduke32 sound freeze that we have been discussing in the bugs subforum).

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZedDB, on Nov 9 2009, 04:56 PM, said:

Had some problems getting it running on linux. At first it complained that it didn't find wgr2.cfg and then if i chose to use the default eduke32.cfg it crashed with: "eduke32: Fatal IO error 22 (Invalid argument) on X server �."
But according to the eduke log it does find wgr2.cfg.. Anyhow I replaced the wgr2.cfg with my eduke32.cfg and converted the wgr2.bat so an .sh file and added "--cfg WGR2_EP1/wgr2.cfg" and eduke didn't complain anymore I could finally play! :)
However the x server error comes back from time to time when I try to start wgr2. But in most cases all I have to do is to launch eduke again and it works... O_o
Don't have any problems like these with vanilla duke :S

Sorry about that. I think you could have avoided all that by simply starting eduke32.exe and and selecting WGR2_EP as the custom content directory. Please let me know if there are any case problems. There are probably some sounds that have some uppercase characters in their filenames but not in their paths, or vice versa (the log should say which files it isn't finding).

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options