Duke4.net Forums: Duke 64 mod thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 64 mod thread

User is offline   CruX 

A weapons mod, like what those guys that were working on that blood mod did, would be good on its own.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If it's any interest to you, I updated my N64 music pack to use Grabbag without the intro sound effect. There are 3 sound files: grabbag64_sfx.flac is the unedited version generated by the USF. sfx.flac is the sound effect, also generated by the USF. grabbag64.flac is the one to which I applied the sound inversion.

I know the USF cuts off the beginning of the sound effect, and that you want the entire sound effect so you can faithfully replicate Duke 64, but this could come in handy for grabbag.voc or something similar, or as a bonus.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 19 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Hmm, the one I am currently using I recorded in-game, from the final level ending sequence, since the sound is less cut in the beggining (unfortunately it's also overlayed by "cheer" sound...).

I think I can use yours, the cut at the beggining is not bigger than the one I have now...

User is offline   Lunick 

I think that one would be better

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on Jul 19 2010, 07:09 PM, said:

(unfortunately it's also overlayed by "cheer" sound...)

I can try applying sound inversion to it if you would like me to.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 20 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Hmm, interesting. Do you need me to record the sound for you, or you can do it yourself (it's easy acessible in the emulator as far I remember)?

• Weaponized Autism

Please send me the recorded file.

• Weaponized Autism

The sound has a lot of crackles and imperfections. It's a shame that the USF does not contain the ending variation. I'll try to tinker with the USF before chasing my tail inverting the rip Fox gave me.

User is offline   MIKE SIMS 

don't mind the idle chat, but does anyone remember the (beta?) yellow plasma gun on the back of the box? i also found it interesting that they changed the color...
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigbo..._50254_back.jpg

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMIKE SIMS, on Aug 2 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

don't mind the idle chat, but does anyone remember the (beta?) yellow plasma gun on the back of the box? i also found it interesting that they changed the color...
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigbo..._50254_back.jpg

I never noticed that 0.0

User is offline   Fox 

There are a lot of different stuff on that image: the Plasma Gun color, the Plasma Gun image, the Stadium level, the SP status bar, the DM status bar, the SMG flash sprite, the explosion color. :)

They probably switched colors because a yellow gun with blue orbs was too much alike of Freezethrower.

By the way, I have collected a lot of BETA images over the website: http://www.resurgenc...om.br/research/

This post has been edited by Fox: 02 August 2010 - 03:32 AM

User is offline   Nfelli64 

• Touched by the Banhammer

View PostFox, on Aug 2 2010, 07:26 AM, said:

By the way, I have collected a lot of BETA images over the website: http://www.resurgenc...om.br/research/

I like the ones the look just like the pc version :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The actual shape of the Plasma Gun is different, not just the tip. I attempted to take it into Photoshop, so I could draw the tip by hand, but the gun is actually quite different as well. Too bad we don't have access to that art, I quite like it.

User is offline   MIKE SIMS 

Beta images are the best! :) :)

User is offline   Falco 

Don't know if you're looking for edits of existing maps, but I modified 64L00.MAP to fix several bugs.

- fixed ugly texture stretching in the secret store room.
- fixed the small secret in the shelf (one with the dum-dums) in the store room so the door actually opens (wrong sector tag.)
- fixed shading in the store room (and a few other places) so the walls aren't pitch black anymore.
- fixed weird stuck & player squish bug in the breakable wall in the bathroom vent.
- fixed trim texture on the walls of the lower skyscraper behind spawn.
- removed useless one time sounds from the lower skyscraper since you can't get there normally.

One controversial change that people might not like is I moved the entire secret storage area to have the garage type doors connect with the outside, and added a working overhead door with a switch. You still can't enter/exit from there as I left the chain link fence in place (you can shoot through it still.)

http://img689.images...39/38443866.jpg
http://img829.images...41/71773556.jpg

Map: http://www.mediafire...2xzce7mmo4j6p83

User is offline   Nukey 

Unfortunately that map is from an ancient unofficial beta I released on AMC, everything in the mod including that map has changed considerably since then. Fox still regularly works on Hollywood Holocaust. The last change that you made will not be done in the mod, since we are aiming to recreate the maps as precisely as possible. Also, the maps are each handled by one specific mapper (whoever has chosen to work on them). We certainly appreciate bug reports, but fixing them is left to the mapper, since by that stage they will know the map's progress in great detail.

If you would really like to contribute, many of the maps in episode 3 haven't even been started yet, nor have two of the exclusive DM maps ("Shaft" and "Noctis Labyrinthus"). There is a fairly hefty amount of information to know before/during the mapping process, but since I have finished the majority of my contributions to this mod, I would be able to provide you with all of the information you need.

User is offline   Falco 

View PostNukey, on Aug 16 2010, 08:45 AM, said:

Unfortunately that map is from an ancient unofficial beta I released on AMC, everything in the mod including that map has changed considerably since then. Fox still regularly works on Hollywood Holocaust. The last change that you made will not be done in the mod, since we are aiming to recreate the maps as precisely as possible. Also, the maps are each handled by one specific mapper (whoever has chosen to work on them). We certainly appreciate bug reports, but fixing them is left to the mapper, since by that stage they will know the map's progress in great detail.

If you would really like to contribute, many of the maps in episode 3 haven't even been started yet, nor have two of the exclusive DM maps ("Shaft" and "Noctis Labyrinthus"). There is a fairly hefty amount of information to know before/during the mapping process, but since I have finished the majority of my contributions to this mod, I would be able to provide you with all of the information you need.

I really didn't like Noctus Labyrinthus, but I could possibly do Shaft.

The only problem is the VRML dumper doesn't work properly on my machine, someone would have to dump the level and the textures so I could make the map.

User is offline   Nukey 

I did 13 maps without a dumper program. Maybe it helps, but it's not necessary. It should be even easier with Shaft, since it looks like the majority of the textures in that map are using default pixel repeats and panning.

Hello All Duke Nukem 64 FANS. My first post on this forum. It is I SomeThingEviL, Here with some info on my map progress. Its been slow, and it even stopped for a few months. But IT WILL NEVER COME TO A END...Not until I've finished all the maps that need to be worked on.

Its hard for me to put a lot of time into one mod or map project. I always find something that's fun or interesting and get sidetracked.

Lately its been starcraft 2 that's had my attention. A month or two before the release of starcraft 2, I Found a way to play the beta offline(with A.I) without a cd key. The beta also had a build editor for starcraft 2!!! That Is way there hasn't been any info or updates about my duke nuke 64 maps. It is also why I have not done any work on the maps. It was just to much fun to play with the starcraft 2 beta and map editor(and before the game was even out). Now that I've had my fun with the Full Starcraft 2 game and map editor I'll get back to my Duke 64 maps.

Anyway for all you patient Duke Nuke 64 fans Here are 2 maps. They are Work in progress and not finished. The first is L.A Rumble. The other is Rabid Transit.

L.A Rumble WIP http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PX4US7AZ

Rabid Transit WIP http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XN7DTV8O

L.A Rumble Is about 75 to 85 % done.

Rabid Transit Is about 15 to 20 % done.

I am also working on area 51. There are not many changes in that one. So its hard to say how far done it is. I'm not uploading that one right now(to few changes).

I also need some help with the UFO on L.A rumble. The problem is with the speed sprite that makes the UFO spin at the right speed. The sectors right below the UFO need to drop to the ground at the same speed as the building sector around them. But the sectors under the UFO drop to slow, they already have a speed sprite in them that makes the UFO spin at the right speed. IS THERE A WAY to use 2 speed sprites in one sector,one that makes the ceiling rotate at the right speed and one to make the floor drop at the right speed. I just don't know how to have the sector that's rotating on the ceiling also drop the floor down, at different speeds.

If you do not understand, say so and I'll try and explain it better, maybe with pictures.

Anyway, If someone could recreate the effect on a new map, so I could see how to do it, or tell me if it cant be done the same in the PC Duke Nukem. It would be a big help.

• Weaponized Autism

The N64 uses BUILD just like the PC version, so I think it should work.

User is offline   Nukey 

View Post-=SomeThingEviL=-, on Aug 17 2010, 02:59 PM, said:

Hello All Duke Nukem 64 FANS. My first post on this forum. It is I SomeThingEviL, Here with some info on my map progress. Its been slow, and it even stopped for a few months. But IT WILL NEVER COME TO A END...Not until I've finished all the maps that need to be worked on.

I also need some help with the UFO on L.A rumble. The problem is with the speed sprite that makes the UFO spin at the right speed. The sectors right below the UFO need to drop to the ground at the same speed as the building sector around them. But the sectors under the UFO drop to slow, they already have a speed sprite in them that makes the UFO spin at the right speed. IS THERE A WAY to use 2 speed sprites in one sector,one that makes the ceiling rotate at the right speed and one to make the floor drop at the right speed. I just don't know how to have the sector that's rotating on the ceiling also drop the floor down, at different speeds.

If you do not understand, say so and I'll try and explain it better, maybe with pictures.

Anyway, If someone could recreate the effect on a new map, so I could see how to do it, or tell me if it cant be done the same in the PC Duke Nukem. It would be a big help.

Good to see you back!

I haven't much time to look into the UFO effect in detail, but it may be that neither of the two effects are using a speed sprite at all, and by default they run at two different speeds. This is my initial conclusion, because in my experience the mappers rarely ever used speed sprites; In the few instances I recall, they were just leftovers from the previous effect (for example, when they replaced sliding doors with ceiling doors they usually didn't touch the original speed sprites).

On a related note, I discovered some time ago that you can achieve the 'automatic Two-Way Train' effect seen in Rabid Transit simply by placing an SE 10 (door auto-close) in the train sector.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 17 August 2010 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Yes!!! Progress on this mod WHOOP!

User is offline   Falco 

View PostNukey, on Aug 16 2010, 07:19 PM, said:

I did 13 maps without a dumper program. Maybe it helps, but it's not necessary. It should be even easier with Shaft, since it looks like the majority of the textures in that map are using default pixel repeats and panning.

The problem with Shaft is that it uses several textures that you can't determine when they tile (rock and water), and the map as a whole is kind of round. I'll give it a shot though.

User is offline   The Duke 

Hail yeah been waiting for someone to make a duke64 mod

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostFalco, on Aug 17 2010, 11:39 PM, said:

The problem with Shaft is that it uses several textures that you can't determine when they tile (rock and water), and the map as a whole is kind of round. I'll give it a shot though.

Not sure what you mean by "when they tile", but if you're referring to texture panning/pixel repeats, you'd be surprised how many seemingly impossible situations you can figure out after enough practice. I have had to determine water texture panning accurately before.

User is offline   Falco 

View PostNukey, on Aug 18 2010, 08:30 AM, said:

Not sure what you mean by "when they tile", but if you're referring to texture panning/pixel repeats, you'd be surprised how many seemingly impossible situations you can figure out after enough practice. I have had to determine water texture panning accurately before.

Most 3D engines (Quake, Half-Life, Source, etc.) refer to repeating textures as "tiling". I haven't done any serious mapping in a 2.5D engine like Build in over a decade and have an affinity for 3D engine technical terms.

User is offline   Falco 

Working on shaft off an on, going to have to start over because messed up the map orientation on the grid.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Fox 

Hahaha, I did that too in some maps. :) Look at the floor texture offset and angle to find how to start a map.

Either way, love it! PM me so that I can send you the textures.

User is offline   Lunick 

At least its something new :)

I WANTED TO SAY I LOVE YOU
THIS IS THE BEST VERSION OF DUKE NUKEM!

PLEASE PLEASE tell me if there is updates .. i am still using the original mod.. where can i find more stuff

where is hte homepage for this mod

THANK YOU FOX I LOVE YOU you bastard

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options