Duke4.net Forums: Duke 64 mod thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 64 mod thread

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Apparently the whole screen (even the menus) will randomly inherit the alpha from one sprite. I guess this is related to the global variable hack you mentioned?

Spoiler

At least I am glab there are already traces of alpha setting for screen sprites. :angry:

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 March 2013 - 12:15 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Sounds like the state is leaking and not getting cleaned up right, yes. There's probably an early return somewhere he didn't take into account or another path that can get into that code.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

r3555 should fix the leak.

User is offline   Nukey 

Duke finally finds the time to check out his own game:

Spoiler

I was supposed to rip that tile a while ago but it was proving problematic. Anyway, thought I'd have some fun with it.

(Edit: Links should be fixed. I was using postimage because they had zero spam/ads and a very clean and simple interface. Too bad they don't work!)

This post has been edited by Nukey: 04 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Nukey, fix your image links...

All I see is the words "Posted Image" (Are you posting images from a website that does not allow hot linking?)

EDIT: I can see them now that you are using photobucket, but I would use imgur.com next time. (They are not some spammy ad filed site like 90% of other image hosting providers)

This post has been edited by Cody: 04 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

n/m

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCody, on 04 March 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

EDIT: I can see them now that you are using photobucket, but I would use imgur.com next time. (They are not some spammy ad filed site like 90% of other image hosting providers)

Although all the rebbit tards are making the site way too slow.

User is offline   Fox 

Since we are in there, is it possible to enable the x-ypanning for model textures? Otherwise I would need a bunch of textures this to simulate simply effect...

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Heh. That'd be a neat way to simulate palette cycling.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

I know for sure that you can animate UV map (or any part of the UV map), but I don't know if MD3 stores UV coords in each frame. But yeah... a shader would be more wise and cheaper solution.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostRoma Loom, on 04 March 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

I know for sure that you can animate UV map (or any part of the UV map), but I don't know if MD3 stores UV coords in each frame. But yeah... a shader would be more wise and cheaper solution.

Can't animate uvs in md3.

View PostFox, on 04 March 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Since we are in there, is it possible to enable the x-ypanning for model textures? Otherwise I would need a bunch of textures this to simulate simply effect...

You could try multiply models, each holding one frame of your uv animation, each def'd to it's own tile, then use eduke32 to animate it as you would sprites. It would only work for the simplest cases, yet it would be smaller files than multiple skins.

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostFox, on 04 March 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

Posted Image

I was going to ask for something like this also!

User is offline   Mark 

Someone in one of the projects I'm helping with created a sign model with horizontal scrolling text using a single skin. It must be possible somehow.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 07 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Do you mean my model?
That was done by animating the model itself, not the skin.

As I said earlier, this would require carefully constructed models to work properly; for something like a character model panning the skin would definitely not look right. So far Fox mentioned the Duke64 explosion; Steveeeie, what do you need that for? I can add it if there's a compelling usecase...

User is offline   Fox 

I am just asking this because the x-ypanning is an unusued structure for models now.

View PostPlagman, on 09 March 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

As I said earlier, this would require carefully constructed models to work properly; for something like a character model panning the skin would definitely not look right. So far Fox mentioned the Duke64 explosion; Steveeeie, what do you need that for? I can add it if there's a compelling usecase...

Nothing specific right now, I was going to use it for a chain on the fan.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Adding x/y-panning controls over individual surfaces would create tons of new possibilities with visual effects. The first I keep thinking about is how water could look so much better.

Also setting multiple maps would help with effects like water,

modern game engines use multiple normal maps to simulate water

You mean multiple maps to pan them independently and accumulate them, right? To simulate random ripples and such.

User is offline   Fox 

If anyone wants to know, while most of textures in the ROM are compressed to a 16 colors table, the most important (i.e. menus and weapons) retain a 256 colors table.

Spoiler

User is offline   Nukey 

I was surprised at that too, but considering the size of the ART files, it was really the only way they could cram them all in there.

You'll also notice the Mighty Foot, Grenade Launcher, and Tripbomb all use a 16 colour palette as well.

User is offline   Fox 

One of the problems with Duke Nukem 64 multiplayer scores screen is that there is barely space for the 4th player row (it breaks the table margin). And because the PC screen resolution has 8 pixels less than the console, it ends up being covered by the results.

An ugly hack I am using is resizing the table if there are more than 3 players. Fortunately it is not very noticeable with 4 players.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

User is offline   Fox 

http://duke64.duke4.net/

Sorry for the bump, but has there been any more progress?
Preferred the old site BTW, just looked nicer in general and was easier to navigate. The progress bars were cool too.

User is offline   Fox 

The mod is mostly finished. It just need a few features to be added in Eduke32.

This post has been edited by Fox: 17 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Great to hear, been looking forward to it!

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options