Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

Hendricks kindly shared with MYHOUSE.MAP and I another Shadow Warrior pre-release version dated 8/10/97 first mentioned here. This version was sent to publisher Wizardworks and Shel Mann, apparently a game producer affiliated with Wizardworks, and dates 15 days before the final registered 1.2 GRP. Since this was only a little over two weeks prior to release, there aren't any massive differences, but we can see they still made a few tweaks during the final stretch.

• When you start up the executable, the following message precedes the loading sequence and must be acknowledged:
                              SHADOW WARRIOR(tm) Version 1.2                      
                        Copyright (c) 1997 3D Realms Entertainment                

This is a version of Shadow Warrior(tm) supplied to 
                          Shel Mann/Wizard Works 8/10/97.

DO NOT DISTRIBUTE!

<Press any key to continue> 

• The parental lock cannot be enabled from the menu as the "Kid Mode" setting is missing from the options menu.

• There is an unedited version of one of Lo Wang's lines. In the final version of the map Unfriendly Skies, when Lo Wang enters the room with the C4, he will proclaim "Holy pile of dynamite!" However, in this 8/10/97 build, the full line plays as such: JG44014.WAV. It's the same take, but the "Batman!" part was removed within the next 15 days for some reason.

• I ran all of the maps through a binary checker and found 18 maps to be different between the 8/10/97 build and the final version. However, this check doesn't necessarily imply the differences are significant. An overhead 2D map comparison of every map in Build confirmed that there were no major layout changes between the two. Nonetheless, I did spot one noteworthy change in one level.

In the 8/10/97 build of the map Floating Fortress, when you enter the pump room in the partially flooded freighter, the door behind you will lock closed and nothing more. However, in the final version of the map, a minor addition was made. When you enter the pump room and the door locks behind you, a hidden compartment will also open up on the opposite side of the door to reveal a switch. When pressed, this switch will open the otherwise locked door. Here's a comparison between the 8/10/97 build (top) and the final version (bottom) after the door closes:
    Posted Image
    Posted Image

I assume this change was made for co-op purposes so players who don't make it through the door before it closes and locks aren't permanently barred from progress.

I'll try to do another pass through the maps in Build to search for any changes in object and item placement, but the differences could just be as technically minor as texture alignment alterations.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'm curious, did you pay special attention to Master Leep's temple? The Seppukku Babe was cut from the level but they left the artwork in, which makes me think it was a last minute decision.

Unfortunately, Master Leep's Temple is one of the maps that match between both versions on a binary level. I did a quick playthrough of the level just to be absolutely sure, and she was not there.

I was looking through the Shadow Warrior 0.90 beta (that's early one, not the WizardWorks one posted above) again and noticed a change that I don't think has been explicitly pointed out yet.

In the final game, the Evil Ninja's pants are a solid blue that is palette-swapped for the other Ninja types:
Posted Image

However, the coloring is slightly different in the 0.90 beta. The Evil Ninja's knee pads are clearly visible thanks to a green coloring. The knee pads are technically still there in the final sprite, but they're hard to distinguish from the rest of the Ninja's pants. Also, in a difference that's somewhat difficult to spot, you can see a grey clasp (it's called a thong, apparently) separating the Ninja's toes on his feet, sort of like a sandal:
Posted Image

But that's not the only difference as there's even an inconsistency within the 0.90 beta's sprites as well. During the sword-sliced animation, the Evil Ninja's shins suddenly become brown, presumably part of an older iteration of the sprite set that had not been converted yet:
Posted Image

I would guess that the simplification made to the coloring on the Evil Ninja's pants was to make it more visually obvious what type of Ninja you were facing. As it turns out, we can see the beta coloring and the visible toe thong on the Ninja's sorta-high resolution render on the original GT Interactive Shadow Warrior site. The brown on the shins appear to be wrapped bandages, and the tan pants and grey wrist gauntlets are presumably the original chosen colors the model was created and rendered with:
Posted Image

Speaking of the GT Interactive site, there are some anomalies there as well. That enemies page mentions of vague "Reptile-like creatures" and an "Underwater Creature" that "has lot's of big teeth, and can shock you like an electric eel from a radial distance." I assume the "Reptile-like creatures" are supposed to be a reference to the Guardians, but the "Underwater Creature" appears to describe the cut Eel monster. I suppose having some outdated information is not too surprising considering the site exclusively shows off nothing but beta screenshots.

Additionally, the image file of the Evil Ninja render on the GT site is named "ripper.gif". I assume this is just a simple mix up with the name of the actual Ripper monster, but the image file for the Coolie Ghost is inexplicably named "cryptboy.gif". I have no idea where this name could have come from since, as far as I know, "Crypt Boy" isn't even an internal name in the code for the Coolie Ghost or anything else in Shadow Warrior.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 30 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

I apologize for the triple post, but I just came across something in the Shadow Warrior 0.90 beta that proves very intriguing. I was looking over BOSS2.MAP, the level with the partially functioning Lava Boss, and couldn't help but feel it resembled something I had seen elsewhere. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I noticed one of those "DELETE ME" pickups on a raised platform. Then it became obvious.

On the left is BOSS2.MAP with the Lava Boss, and on the right is the boss lair in the 0.90 beta VOLCANO.MAP with the Serpent God that I posted about earlier:
Posted Image Posted Image

The real damning evidence lies in the overhead 2D view of both maps:
Posted Image

So, clearly, 3D Realms reused BOSS2.MAP for the Serpent's boss cavern in the 0.90 beta version of VOLCANO.MAP. Of course, they ended up eventually cutting most of this anyway when they replaced the cavern with a seesaw. But I wondered, is this just another example of 3D Realms re-purposing one of their old maps, or could it hint at something more? I began wondering just exactly how the enigmatic Lava Boss was supposed to fit into Shadow Warrior, so I took a look at how he's defined in the source.

In the code, you can tell the programmers were mostly appending their new code to the ends of files, so you can see a somewhat chronological order in which things were added. As an example, for the final Zilla robot suit boss (which I pointed out earlier was added within the last month of development), virtually all references to him are at the very bottom of their respective C files (and he even takes up the very last tiles in the ART files). But I digress: In DIGI.H, the header file that defines the names of the digitized sounds, a number of enemy NPC sounds are defined near the beginning of the file, suggesting these are some of the earliest enemies added to the game (pre-Lo Wang era). Here's a trimmed down excerpt from DIGI.H:
// NPC'S //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// COOLIE

// COOLIE GHOST

// NINJA

// RIPPER

// GUARDIAN 

// SKELETOR PRIEST

// ACCURSED HEAD

// HORNET

// SERPENT GOD BOSS

// LAVA BOSS

Note that these names are listed in alphabetical order after having already been separated into different tiers: Coolies, Coolie Ghosts, Ninjas, and Rippers form the low tier, Guardians and Skeletor Priests form the middle tier, Accursed Heads and Hornets form what I would consider the "non-standard" enemies tier, and the two bosses finish the list off. However, assuming that the bosses form the single highest tier together, note that the two bosses are not in alphabetical order. This could just be a monumentally trivial matter of order, or it could signify something more interesting. Perhaps the Serpent and Lava Boss have conscientiously been separated and the Lava Boss was deliberately placed after the Serpent. Given how the enemies appear to be sorted from low to high tier (aside from the non-standard ones), could this imply that the Lava Boss had a higher supremacy over the Serpent?

Don't forget, as I pointed out in a previous post, that it was strongly implied the Serpent was going to be the original boss of Shadow Warrior before Zilla came to be as indicated by the 0.90 beta version of VOLCANO.MAP. However, that's in the post-Lo Wang era when 3D Realms re-tooled the game to be more like Duke 3D. Looking before this, could the final boss have been different in the pre-Lo Wang era?

There's other evidence to add here as well. The Lava Boss only appears in one level, BOSS2.MAP, while the Serpent appears in two pre-Lo Wang levels, OLDBOSS.MAP and COMBAT3.MAP. This suggests that the Serpent was going to have a boss and mini-boss version in pre-Lo Wang Shadow Warrior, which further suggests that he was not going to be the final boss of pre-Lo Wang SW. Add to the fact that the Lava Boss's map would become the basis of the final boss encounter in the post-Lo Wang SW, I feel there's enough evidence to make another crazy hypothesis: Before Zilla and before the Serpent, the Lava Boss was going to be the original boss of pre-Lo Wang Shadow Warrior.

Also consider the fact that apparently in all forms of Shadow Warrior, the final boss encounter is supposed to take place at a volcano or a volcano-ish area. What kind of boss would you expect to find at a volcano? A boss made of lava, of course!

However, since the Lava Boss consists of hand drawn art rather than a 3D model render, I assume that he probably originates from the earliest Shadow Warrior concept that was advertised here and here. As for his ultimate fate, I would surmise that the introduction of the Sumo boss made him redundant and he eventually fell by the wayside as the rest of the bosses got shifted around.

Phew, that was quite a lot to say! I hope it all makes sense.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 31 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It seems the Pigcop sound is actually of a bobcat. Someone may look for it a sound gallery or something.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Sound Ideas Series 5000 I believe.

The same sound is also used for the Orge in Quake at a different pitch.

User is offline   Lunick 

Commando Nukem, on 01 November 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

The same sound is also used for the Orge in Quake at a different pitch.

Can. Not. Unhear.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I noticed the pigcop sound in Quake right away. I had already played Duke3D for many years before playimg Quake, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

I love both games but... something like that has never clicked in my head before.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

RinyRed said:

Shadow Warrior

Seriously how do these 3 post get ignored by discussion over a sound file? These are some great findings!

I think Shadow Warrior would've made an amazing game had they not tried to make it like Duke in late development. I think (judging from those screenshots found on the HOCUS POCUS thing) that Shadow Warrior actually predates Duke development wise. Maybe the decided to do Duke instead and then they went back to Shadow Warrior? Who knows.

Shadow Warrior's development has always amazed me. It is a great example of alphas and betas appearing better than the final product.

User is offline   leilei 

Lunick, on 01 November 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

I love both games but... something like that has never clicked in my head before.

Also the wolf in Tomb Raider.

Pig Cops make the Hexen ettin idle sound too.... and yes i'm also leaning on Sound Ideas 6000 for their common source. Can't pin down the exact disc/track for those sounds though...

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Hmm, I think that Vampire Ancients in Daggerfall also make a sound that is the same/similar to some PigCop sound (not sure).

User is offline   necroslut 

gerolf, on 01 November 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Seriously how do these 3 post get ignored by discussion over a sound file? These are some great findings!

I think Shadow Warrior would've made an amazing game had they not tried to make it like Duke in late development. I think (judging from those screenshots found on the HOCUS POCUS thing) that Shadow Warrior actually predates Duke development wise. Maybe the decided to do Duke instead and then they went back to Shadow Warrior? Who knows.

Shadow Warrior's development has always amazed me. It is a great example of alphas and betas appearing better than the final product.

IIRC Shadow Warrior wasn't developed internally at 3DR to begin with, that might explain the different look of early materials.
Oh and SW is a pretty amazing game :P

• Honored Donor

I'm not quite sure about that, as the earliest known screenshots that came from that Hocus Pocus preview, it said coming soon from Apogee, but you could be right, maybe it wasn't theirs at first or something. I know that Blood was theirs but they gave it to QStudios which joined Monolith and they made it, and that Exhumed/Powerslave was also originally a 3DR's game but was given to Lobotomy to finish.

I don't know how much 3DR actually did for Blood but I do know they did quite a lot for Powerslave:
Spoiler

These types of images really make SW look older than DN3D, but maybe it was just a style of art they were going for at one point? They could all just be placeholders awaiting Chuck Jones, but that would make no sense as these characters are pretty damn detailed..
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 03 November 2013 - 11:02 AM
Reason for edit: fixed the image with editart on the bottom for you

gerolf, on 03 November 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I'm not quite sure about that, as the earliest known screenshots that came from that Hocus Pocus preview, it said coming soon from Apogee, but you could be right, maybe it wasn't theirs at first or something. I know that Blood was theirs but they gave it to QStudios which joined Monolith and they made it, and that Exhumed/Powerslave was also originally a 3DR's game but was given to Lobotomy to finish.
I don't know how much 3DR actually did for Blood but I do know they did quite a lot for Powerslave:
These types of images really make SW look older than DN3D, but maybe it was just a style of art they were going for at one point? They could all just be placeholders awaiting Chuck Jones, but that would make no sense as these characters are pretty damn detailed..

What I meant was that like most Apogee titles it was (IIRC) originally developed by external people (Norwood) and to be published/produced/whatever by Apogee, but they then instead brought it in-house some months before release. There's a Twitter post by Broussard somewhere mentioning this but I can't find it.
That would also explain the radically different art style (Duke 3D's game design went through a major overhaul, but in SW's case also the art did) if people like Chuck Jones were not working on it at that time.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 03 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Notice it says Apogee Software, so it certainly predates the name 3D Realms by a long shot.

• Honored Donor

Something tells me Shadow Warrior was scrapped at one point for them to focus on Duke, then the got carried away with Blood and Powerslave but decided to give those to other companies to finish so they could focus on Shadow Warrior?

So maybe Shadow Warrior was started around.. 1994 prior to Lameduke, or maybe they made both and decided to go with Duke first?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

gerolf, on 03 November 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I don't know how much 3DR actually did for Blood

Well, IIRC the leaked Blood alpha was yet 3D Realms stuff. Anyway, there are archived pages for the game at 3DR website, including weekly development updates (in the same format as Shadow Warrior) that date back to June 1996. Apparently, the rights were sold to Monolith in early 1997.

• Honored Donor

Yep. Q-Studios was like an "Apogee West" and was stationed in Washington state, just like Monolith. So Q-Studios did most of the work and then joined Monolith and finished the game.

User is offline   KareBear 

gerolf, on 03 November 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Something tells me Shadow Warrior was scrapped at one point for them to focus on Duke, then the got carried away with Blood and Powerslave but decided to give those to other companies to finish so they could focus on Shadow Warrior?

So maybe Shadow Warrior was started around.. 1994 prior to Lameduke, or maybe they made both and decided to go with Duke first?

They did not have to give Blood and Powerslave to other companies to finish because they were being made by other companies right from the beginning,of the four Build Engine games Apogee/3DRealms initially announced in 1994 all of them except Duke were being done by external teams.They sold off the rights to Blood and Powerslave and were considering cancelling Shadow Warrior but since the developers (Maddin and Norwood) were long time friends of Scott and George they decided to bring it in house and finish it.

This post has been edited by KareBear: 04 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Apogee/3DR does appear to have had some kind of a hand in an early version of the PC version of Powerslave. The PC Version and the Saturn/Playstation versions are drastically different.

• Honored Donor

KareBear, on 04 November 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

They did not have to give Blood and Powerslave to other companies to finish because they were being made by other companies right from the beginning,of the four Build Engine games Apogee/3DRealms initially announced in 1994 all of them except Duke were being done by external teams.They sold off the rights to Blood and Powerslave and were considering cancelling Shadow Warrior but since the developers (Maddin and Norwood) were long time friends of Scott and George they decided to bring it in house and finish it.

Thanks for the info, but I agree with Jimmy, Powerslave was at one point going to be a 3DR game.

Also I did correct myself on that point. Q-Studios had always been working on Blood, 3DR was only the publisher with minor say in things, and then they were given to Monolith (I've seen an explanation somewhere on the transfusion forums it had to do with locations because Q-Studios and Monolith are both in WA state, and it seemed logical). Lobotomy or PIE (can't remember which) was working along with 3DR or Powerslave was given to them at an early state. I'm not quite sure which is true, but the PC version was not released first IIRC so Lobotomy and PIE really made Powerslave for the consoles leading me to believe the PC version was an old version of the game that had whatever was going on at 3DR in it and they polished with updated graphics from the PS and Saturn versions. Excuse my rambling on lol

This post has been edited by gerolf: 06 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

gerolf, on 06 November 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the info, but I agree with Jimmy, Powerslave was at one point going to be a 3DR game.

Also I did correct myself on that point. Q-Studios had always been working on Blood, 3DR was only the publisher with minor say in things, and then they were given to Monolith (I've seen an explanation somewhere on the transfusion forums it had to do with locations because Q-Studios and Monolith are both in WA state, and it seemed logical). Lobotomy or PIE (can't remember which) was working along with 3DR or Powerslave was given to them at an early state. I'm not quite sure which is true, but the PC version was not released first IIRC so Lobotomy and PIE really made Powerslave for the consoles leading me to believe the PC version was an old version of the game that had whatever was going on at 3DR in it and they polished with updated graphics from the PS and Saturn versions. Excuse my rambling on lol

The Saturn version was released only a couple of months before the PC version, and the PC version was announced long before. That's not enough time to make all the different content, so most likely they were worked on parallely.
I also wouln't know about taking updated graphics from the console versions, as the PC version has both more graphics and higher resolution art. Everything points to the PC version being the source even though it wasn't released first.

User is offline   KareBear 

This video chronicles the development history of Powerslave and explains in detail why the PC and console versions ended up being so dissimilar.

User is offline   leilei 

gerolf, on 06 November 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

so Lobotomy and PIE really made Powerslave for the consoles leading me to believe the PC version was an old version of the game that had whatever was going on at 3DR in it and they polished with updated graphics from the PS and Saturn versions

There's a 1995-dated public beta of Powerslave which kinda disproves the ported-from-consoles theory.

• Honored Donor

Right! I forgot about there being a beta of the DOS version. I'm not too big with Powerslave so sorry for my ignorance.

Anyways, here's something I've thought about last night:

The Blood Alpha; the alpha's source doesn't have all the necessary files, and so the alpha release was probably what was sent to Q-Studio employees by the coder to overwrite an older version, which is most likely why files are missing, and it was left in a PC that was being repaired, and it was then leaked.

What do you all think?

More reasons I believe this to be true: In the blood.txt file it mentions some things about enemies that are in the game, the gill beast and Phantasm, stating that the attacks work for the Phantasm but it needs artwork.. In the source files there is AI files but none for the Phantasm. This text file also states that the Axe Zombie has no attack, but in the source files there is a ZOMBIEAI file and when you play the alpha the zombies do indeed attack.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 10 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

• Honored Donor

In speaking of the Blood Alpha, check out this video and see what happened
when I added fake players to this map while holding the attack button.

Does anybody have anymore of Duke Nukem 3D beta footage in any screenshots, magazine scans or videos? and how about any footage of Shadow Warrior beta in any screenshots, videos or any magazine scans?

I'm so much interested.

This post has been edited by Mikko Pekkola: 28 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

VRam of Duke Nukem Total Meltdown

Posted Image

What you are seeing here is the tileset that is present in that E1L1.pmp file (distorted and with wrong palette). On the top left there are temporary spaces for the whole screen and player view. There is another temporary space used for sprites missing from this set (in this case it shows the dukecar / pistol reloading).

Edit:

Posted Image

It has been a very long time since last time I saw this screen. It's just lovely how it fails to display the player name.

This post has been edited by Fox: 13 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options