• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster32 problems and bugs  "Please post them exclusively here"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Ok I typed in that exact thing and got some errors. Is there something I'm missing?

(console): At top level:
(console):1: error: symbol `i' is not a game variable.
for i selsectors { set sector[i].floorz 306048 }
|---->*
(console):1: error: unknown iteration type `elsectors'.
for i selsectors { set sector[i].floorz 306048 }
|-------------->*

--- Found 2 errors.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

You need to declare variables like in CON with gamevar or var (I usually use the latter for locals, which m32script does have, in contrast to CON). But "i" should be already declared if you're loading a.m32. Otherwise, just type "gamevar i 0 0" to declare and initialize it.

• Honored Donor

Anyone know any reasons why a two way train wouldn't go back to its original position? My locators are tagged correctly, are in the same sector, and are in a straight line with the SE.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostPlain Simple Garek, on 25 January 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Anyone know any reasons why a two way train wouldn't go back to its original position? My locators are tagged correctly, are in the same sector, and are in a straight line with the SE.

It might have something to do with the S.E sharing a hi-tag with another activator or switch. Or if the activator lowtags for the Two Way train has the same value as the SE high tag.

I'm pretty sure these trains can trigger other activators sequentially up to at least two tags away. So try spacing your tag numbers apart a bit so they aren't so close together. Typically when I work with these trains I use a block of 4 special tags which are dedicated to the functions of the trains activators for the (SE and Activators). In these cases the S.E high tag can be used as an activator. I'm pretty sure this is all mentioned in the info suite.

http://infosuite.duk...=ae_horizont_b2

"•Any Activators tagged [0,Channel+2] will activate when the train reaches/leaves point A. Any Activators tagged [0,Channel+1] will activate when the train reaches/leaves point B. Note that you could plug one or both of those Activators into the train itself to create a 'self-oscillating' train effect."

Just one other thing I can remember that always use to get me stuck. If the two way train track is too short in length stupid stuff will happen with your two way train.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

• Honored Donor

Oh hell no did you just link me to the infosuite? Shame Posted Image

Well all of that still seems in order, and length isn't the issue. It works one way but not back the other way which is weird, and apparently it's working for someone else, so I'll try to test it with more people.

Edit: Well I've fixed it now. I think the issue was the SE was too close to the outside boundary of the nested sector. I mean it wasn't that close, but regardless of what happened it's working now so I'm not complaining Posted Image

This post has been edited by Plain Simple Garek: 25 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

The range of MusicAndSFX preview ambience twice as large in Mapster32 as it's in-game. Ie. if you set the hitag of a M effector to 4096, it plays only in an area of 2048 in-game.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Mapster32 or EDuke32.

• EDuke32 Developer

Can't reproduce the implied general issue here, though I tested it with different values. In a room with a radius of about 8500, I'm placing an ambient-sound MUSICANDSFX with a hitag of 8500. At the border of the room, the sound is barely audible, as expected. Map is attached.

My testing exposed another bug: set the music volume to the minimum in the respective menu. That turns it off, as I desired. (Am I missing a "MUSIC ON/OFF" switch somewhere?) Restart EDuke32. The music plays, even though the slider value is still at the leftmost position.

Attached File(s)

• Ancient Blood God

Basically all sounds hear in Mapster32 play as their diameter is set to the hitag, but in EDuke32, all sounds play as if their radius is set to the hitag.

EDIT: Uhm, yeah. Mapster32 plays the sounds at full volume until you hit the edge of the diameter, but EDuke32 almost mutes the sounds when you reach the half-way point.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 28 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDaedolon, on 28 January 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

EDIT: Uhm, yeah. Mapster32 plays the sounds at full volume until you hit the edge of the diameter, but EDuke32 almost mutes the sounds when you reach the half-way point.

Wait, you mean that Mapster32 doesn't do distance fading of the sound at all?

Re-testing my map, the fading distances seem slightly different, but not by a factor of 2. More like 7/8: in Mapster32, I can hug the southmost wall and still hear the "lava" sound, while in EDuke32 I have to move slightly towards the center.

Dependence on some configuration settings, maybe? (Though I'd find that unlikely.)

Mapster used to display where the center of a line. I've been without a workstation capable of running it for a few weeks and recently got one working.

Is this something broken or is there a key combination that can bring it back? I searched the Wiki, config and inbuilt references but can't find anything that appears to be related to showing where the center of a line is.

Just in case you don't get what I mean;
Attached Image: capt0000.png

It's weird because some lines still indicate their center although the indication is very small now.

• Ancient Blood God

I actually want to know how to get rid of them, it would be great to know when editing some very small walls.

• EDuke32 Developer

in the OSD: show_heightindicators [0|1|2]
in mapster32.cfg: showheightindicators

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDaedolon, on 28 January 2014 - 12:45 PM, said:

Basically all sounds hear in Mapster32 play as their diameter is set to the hitag, but in EDuke32, all sounds play as if their radius is set to the hitag.

View PostHelixhorned, on 28 January 2014 - 02:28 PM, said:

Re-testing my map, the fading distances seem slightly different, but not by a factor of 2. More like 7/8: in Mapster32, I can hug the southmost wall and still hear the "lava" sound, while in EDuke32 I have to move slightly towards the center.

Dependence on some configuration settings, maybe? (Though I'd find that unlikely.)

It's the EFFECTS VOLUME slider. You seem to have it at halfway to the max, while I like to crank volume sliders like these to almost-max (now: max). I don't know what it's intended to do, but varying the slope rather than the intercept would seem more logical to me.

• Ancient Blood God

So it's a disconnect between in-game settings and Mapster32 settings?

User is offline   Kyanos 

I have a map that consistently crashes Mapster32 to desktop. It happens while in 3d mode, moving around with L-SHIFT and 3 movement keys simultaneously, like down and left arrows with z.

Win 7 64 bit. Using the latest revision. I can remember Mapster crashing like this before, I checked with 4208 the oldest rev on my HD and it crashed there too.
Attached File  __ramps2_crash.zip (4.51K)
Number of downloads: 126

• EDuke32 Developer

I can't reproduce this here, and it runs perfectly fine with either the sanitized Clang build or under Valgrind. Maybe it's some interaction with Windows' desktop system or so? Does an eduke32_or_mapster32.crash.log get generated? Is the crash dependent on renderer settings?

User is offline   Kyanos 

I ran a 64bit debug exe and it generated a crashlog once.
Here is the crashlog.
Spoiler

With my testing i found that the 32bit builds were perfectly stable for me, so I am happy :(
Also, I tired switching to 32bit rendering mode, in my tests, it will immediately crash upon entering 3D mode. Just thought I'd mention it while you have all my log info. That crash did not produce a crashlog though.

• EDuke32 Developer

Thank you for the bug report and the crashlog! It should be fixed in r4292.

For those who are interested: I missed the oob access because I forgot to uncomment DEBUG_ALLOCACHE_AS_MALLOC.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDaedolon, on 30 January 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

So it's a disconnect between in-game settings and Mapster32 settings?

What I meant is this. For a given "audible radius" of an ambient sound, assume that you're always at the same angle with respect to it. Consider the function "loudness against distance from the sound origin". You'd expect it to be monotonically decreasing and its graph to intersect the axes at (0, loudness_at_dist0) and (distance_the_sound_disappears, 0).

I expect the EFFECTS VOLUME to scale the function linearly, i.e. alter the (0, loudness_at_dist0) intercept. Whereas now, having a less-than-max effects volume means that ambient sounds will disappear at closer distances to the sound origin. I consider this a bug and for now, recommend setting EFFECTS VOLUME at max.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 02 February 2014 - 02:53 AM, said:

It should be fixed in r4292.

Oops, I broke walls textured with nonpow2 x size textures. Don't use it yet. :(

• EDuke32 Developer

r4293 should fix it for real.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostHelixhorned, on 02 February 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

r4293 should fix it for real.

Tested, and confirmed. It's fixed.

User is offline   Stabs 

what is up with the texture align tool it aligns the X's but ignore Y's (maybe its switched) anyway its kinda annoying and defeats its purpose, i need to replace each texture with its exact scaling before pressing , or . or some textures will be stretched sideways.

User is offline   underTaker 

First, for a long time I updated EDuke, and I found out that selecting sectors with left alt, and shifting texture with shift + numpad arrows doesn't work. I don't know for how many versions this doesn't work, but those are one of key features for me in the Mapster. Is this a bug, or just theese features got removed? (God, I hope not!)

• Honored Donor

View PostDanM, on 25 February 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

what is up with the texture align tool it aligns the X's but ignore Y's (maybe its switched) anyway its kinda annoying and defeats its purpose, i need to replace each texture with its exact scaling before pressing , or . or some textures will be stretched sideways.

To align both x and y axis, you need to hold "right alt" when pressing "."

View PostunderTaker, on 03 March 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

First, for a long time I updated EDuke, and I found out that selecting sectors with left alt, and shifting texture with shift + numpad arrows doesn't work. I don't know for how many versions this doesn't work, but those are one of key features for me in the Mapster. Is this a bug, or just theese features got removed? (God, I hope not!)

Yeah same, the shift + numpad keys for panning wall textures hasn't worked for me for a long time. I really should have reported it sooner I suppose.

I'm also still getting the issue where if you choose a tile from the selection screen, sometimes it actually places the next tile up.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

btw if you have some time could you look at the copy between maps code, currently i select a part of map press insert and it copies it, that's fine so i load a new map and that new copied section should be there right? nope it just randomly selects a bunch of sectors on the map you just loaded

btw : would other mappers agree it would be far more convinient if . and , did X & Y and . + ALT did the funny one where it only does the X

This post has been edited by DanM: 03 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

• Honored Donor

That's sort of what it used to do didn't it?

And are you sure that you're copying the sectors to a fresh (empty) map? Because I found it did that when copying the sectors to the map would go over the wall limit.

User is offline   Stabs 

and yup thats the problem, i swear DNE04 didnt use THAT many sectors

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 03 March 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

I'm also still getting the issue where if you choose a tile from the selection screen, sometimes it actually places the next tile up.

Next time when this happens, could you immediately try to produce the bug a second time and note the exact circumstances?

View PostDanM, on 03 March 2014 - 10:38 PM, said:

btw if you have some time could you look at the copy between maps code, currently i select a part of map press insert and it copies it, that's fine so i load a new map and that new copied section should be there right? nope it just randomly selects a bunch of sectors on the map you just loaded

and yup thats the problem, i swear DNE04 didnt use THAT many sectors

It's the wall limit that gets exceeded, check the status line. That the highlighting wasn't cleared was a nuisance bug. Thankfully, it did not entail map corruption.

btw : would other mappers agree it would be far more convinient if . and , did X & Y and . + ALT did the funny one where it only does the X

The current behavior is the same as the original Build, by the way. I don't mind changing it if this functionality turns out to be desired significantly more often than the other one.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostunderTaker, on 03 March 2014 - 12:02 PM, said:

Haha, surely we wouldn't just remove a good feature for the sake of pissing off users a little, would we? (Hhm... if that feature qualified as ugliness, who knows :blink:). But no, it's a technical issue.

View PostMicky C, on 03 March 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

Yeah same, the shift + numpad keys for panning wall textures hasn't worked for me for a long time. I really should have reported it sooner I suppose.

For a "long" time suggests that it predates the switch to SDL2? There is a related issue where the key combinations Shift+KP5+{KP8 or KP2} don't get recognized. However, that combination isn't sent by the keyboard, i.e. it's a hardware issue. I think I plugged in an ancient one once, and that combo worked.
In case it's SDL2-related, the usual recommendations apply, primarily switching to a US keyboard layout. Then, if somebody's got the time, there's the open request for compiling the 'checkkeys' program from the SDL2 source distribution for Windows. Maybe some of these bugs will show up there.

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options