Duke4.net Forums: [Mapster] How to tell parallax skies to... - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Mapster] How to tell parallax skies to...  "Is this possible ?"

User is offline   XThX2 

Use "A" amount of images to display ? I randomly see sometimes it uses 1 sky frame, and at times it uses 5; I wondered if it could be picked by the mapper, like use 3 sky frames, or 6. If not, I think it would be a good possible request :blink:

This post has been edited by XThX2: 08 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I would really like that. By default it is hard-coded in LA, BIGORBIT, etc.

User is offline   XThX2 

I noticed I forgot to tell that the sky images in question aren't defined by DEF language as skyboxes. They are 8-bit. (I think this is the correct one)

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

From my editart guide:

Parallaxed Skies

Skies cannot be resized like other ceiling tiles. They follow a strict size and repeat order, and their total width always comes out to 1024. Unfortunately, Duke3D does not allow you to make skies from a single 1024 pixel-wide image. Nor will it accept skies that are 512 pixels wide. Since the sky tile must repeat and come out to 1024 pixels, its width should be a power of 2 up to 256 (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, or 256). With sky heights, 400 is a common number among the default skies, and should work fine in all cases. (Though it may not appear to tile properly in Build/Mapster32, it will work inside the game itself.)

Duke3D uses multiple frames for some of its skies. These "panoramic skies" are made up of several images of 128 pixels in width. Panoramic skies do not simply repeat in the order they appear in Editart. Each panoramic sky has its own unique repeat pattern. You can make your own panoramic skies without having to replace the originals. You will have to mimic the repeat patterns of one of the original panoramic skies, however.

Clockwise, the sky patterns are:

* LA Sky - 1, 3, 4, 2, 3, 2, 4, 5.
* Moonsky - 1, 2, 1, 1, 3, 4, 1, 3.
* Bigorbit - 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 1, 5, 1

In order to make the new sky image work properly in your maps, you must first finish constructing the map. Place the first tile of your panoramic sky on all the areas where you wish the panoramic sky to appear, and parallax them. Now add one final sector to the map. In this sector, place the image of the sky you based your sky-pattern off of (LA Sky, Bigorbit, or Moonsky) on the ceiling and parallax it. Save your map. The game will force all of your skies to behave in the same way as the sky in the last sector placed in the map.

Doubt it'll be much help, but that's the only "big sky" workaround that I know of for 8-bit.

User is offline   XThX2 

Well, it will work good for single image skyboxes, but what about 3,4 and 5 ? Even 2... They can't be worked out seeing the patterns here. Oh well :/

I have a feeling that this is impossible to make with CON scripting. If it is... :blink:

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Usually 400px sky heights doesn't cover the player view entirely, and will move with it. This can be seem in Critical Mass, where the horizon with will move down the water as the player looks down. An exception of this is Derelict sky, as it is 512px hard-coded to not move with player view.

Another case is Area 51 sky, which is composed of vertical repeating images, and is constantly moving,

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options