Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 crashes on startup - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 crashes on startup

User is offline   Mere_Duke 

Hello forum & eduke32 devs!

From the version r10459-8feaf6c25 and higher, the eduke32 crashes if no game grp files were found and recognized.
The previous versions do nothing aside from printing "ERROR: Found no recognized game data!".

I used to play Duke Nukem 3D with a modified duke3d.grp (some con & art changes I made/incorporated loooooong time ago to have game polished as much as possible). Now I can use only r10459 and prior versions.

I don't think it was made intentionally since it just crashes w/o "use original grp" message, so I consider this a bug.

I just compiled Eduke32 from today's sources and I can confirm this bug. If Eduke does not find grp file, it crashes.

6,7664s INFO| Searching for game data...
 6,7670s ERROR| Found no recognized game data!
Caught signal: SIGSEGV
Erreur de segmentation (core dumped)

User is offline   Mark 

From what I've read in previous posts on this subject, it was intentional to help stop piracy. Its been reported by a number of people and nothing has been done to change it.

This post has been edited by Mark: 28 January 2024 - 07:02 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

That's annoying behaviour, indeed. The segmentation fault is still a bug, though, thereby implying that this issue was not introduced intentionally.

User is offline   Mark 

Unless thats how it was decided to deal with pirates. :P

View PostMark, on 31 January 2024 - 11:07 AM, said:

Unless thats how it was decided to deal with pirates. :P

But it's totally useless towards piracy and newbies users thought Eduke32 does not work...
A dialog box saying "no dn3d.grp found, you have to copy it in path XXXX, program will now close" is necessary for newbies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options