Duke4.net Forums: HD tiles and widescreen in original DOS Duke3D - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HD tiles and widescreen in original DOS Duke3D

User is offline   n4ud6464 

Release time :)

Download Duke3DHD here: https://github.com/sobitcorp/Duke3DHD

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

Original Post:

Spoiler

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Sounds like nice idea though. I always wanted to see some kind of Dos Duke with HiRes textures and resources. So you have full support from me on this. Looking forward for this. :)

View Postn4ud6464, on 24 December 2021 - 08:57 PM, said:

Hello!

I was messing around with the source code of the original DOS Duke3D and programmed in support for upscaled ERP tiles and widescreen (using non-square pixels). Is the community interested in something like this? I need to decide whether I should take the time to clean up and publish this work.

Please let me know what you think!

This sounds really impressive. Can we see some screenshots of it in action if you have any?
(and if it actually works, of course)

This post has been edited by Cowboy Dave 3D: 24 December 2021 - 11:48 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Messing with DOS Duke is always good!

If you're at DOS tinkering, I wonder if you could also look in the opposite direction so to speak and maybe think how the DOS version could be sped up like the recent FastDoom port?

Alright, here are some screenshots. I'll put it up on github soon. :)

As for speeding it up, I'm probably not the right person for the job as I know next to nothing about x86 assembly.

Before:
Attached Image: DUKE0000a.png

After:
Attached Image: DUKE0000.PNG
Attached Image: DUKE0001.PNG
Attached Image: DUKE0002.PNG
Attached Image: DUKE0003.PNG

User is online   Phredreeke 

Neat. What's up with the brightness though?

I'm curious, did you base this on Nuke's indexed hightile code or did you write it all yourself? Also how is loading tiles set up? Does it read external images or is it some kind of extension to the ART format?

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 27 December 2021 - 09:15 PM

I probably just have the brightness turned up more than it should be.

I wrote it all myself - was doing minor tweaks to the original source code and then one thing led to another and I wound up spending way more time on this than I planned :) The ART format is used with almost no changes, I simply converted the ERP PNG tiles to bitmaps and batch-imported them with a modification of the BastART tool. The only change to the ART format was I borrowed 2 of the 4 unused picanm bits to store the upscaling factor as 2^x, allowing potentially for 8x upscaling. In fact, vanilla Duke3D can read these ART files normally, just everything will look giant.

Ok, I like your idea of extending the ART format as it removes the ambiguity of what to map colors which have duplicate entries in the palette to. BTW how does the yellow lock panel in E1L2 look?

Thanks! The key card panel?

View Postn4ud6464, on 27 December 2021 - 10:05 PM, said:

I probably just have the brightness turned up more than it should be.

I wrote it all myself - was doing minor tweaks to the original source code and then one thing led to another and I wound up spending way more time on this than I planned :) The ART format is used with almost no changes, I simply converted the ERP PNG tiles to bitmaps and batch-imported them with a modification of the BastART tool. The only change to the ART format was I borrowed 2 of the 4 unused picanm bits to store the upscaling factor as 2^x, allowing potentially for 8x upscaling. In fact, vanilla Duke3D can read these ART files normally, just everything will look giant.

Nice, looking forward to the source release.

Your skills would definitely also be appreciated for eduke32 engine development ;)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 30 December 2021 - 10:46 AM

Actually I'd say the hires tiles look better here than they do in EDuke32, with 8-bit rendering making their flaws look less obvious.

Do you run this in DOSBox or in real DOS?

You know the ERP will run with the classic renderer...

Oh? Didn't know that -- I've been avoiding the software mode when running graphics mods generally, I believe many will not work correctly.

You won't get skyboxes in classic but everything else in game should work. Only with an indexed hightile enabled build of course.

Release time :)

Download Duke3DHD here: https://github.com/sobitcorp/Duke3DHD

Is there a way to edit this link into the OP, or should I start a new thread now that this is a release?

Thanks for everyone's support!

@Phredreeke I think this is the yellow lock panel you wanted to see?
Attached Image: DUKE0004.PNG

@Doom64hunter Thanks! Not sure how much I could help with eDuke32, it's already very mature software AFAIK, but I can definitely help out if there's any interest in porting my ART file modifications.

@MrFlibble It works in DOSBox, in real DOS inside a VM, and should work on real hardware, though that hasn't been tested.

A bit late but I just got around testing it. I noticed on E2L1 these weird color artifacts on distant walls

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke3dhd_000.png
  • Attached Image: duke3dhd_002.png

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options