Duke4.net Forums: NetDuke32 - Enhanced Duke3D Netplay! - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NetDuke32 - Enhanced Duke3D Netplay!  "Netplay-centric EDuke32 fork, the successor to EDuke32-OldMP."

User is offline   Nash 

Oh, what I meant was, when playing coop with NetDuke32, for example, in E1M1, you can get the shotgun and some pipebombs immediately at the start. Seems to make players OP too early, to me? It's kind of like being able to get the BFG9000 in Doom 2 MAP01 in coop - quite balance-breaking, IMO.

User is offline   Nash 

Another question; do autoloads not work with NetDuke32? Trying to get some of my usual EDuke32 autoloads into NetDuke32.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostNash, on 27 May 2022 - 05:23 AM, said:

Another question; do autoloads not work with NetDuke32? Trying to get some of my usual EDuke32 autoloads into NetDuke32.
Add NoAutoLoad = 0 to the [Setup] section of your netduke32.cfg file. (Tested with NetDuke32 v1 r10054[oldmp_porting]-c4afe166a.)
No idea if and how this affects actual multiplayer, especially if not everyone has the exact same set of autoload CONtents.
There's probably a reason why the Enable "autoload" folder button is missing in the startup window.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Autoloads are not recommended, because it can cause matches to desynchronize if there's any modified tiles or scripts.

Anyway, sorry this took so fucking long, but I've put out NetDuke32 v1.1 RC1 - https://voidpoint.io...Duke32_v1.1_RC1

User is offline   Overfl0w 

Hello. I would like to make a coop/deathmatch mod for NetDuke32. I was wondering what tools you recommend using for packaging .pk3

I imagine most existing Build/Duke3d tools would work, yes?

Where would you recommend I start? I’ve made Duke3d/Eduke32 mods before but never for NetDuke32.

Thanks!

• Auramancer

View PostOverfl0w, on 08 June 2022 - 10:38 AM, said:

Hello. I would like to make a coop/deathmatch mod for NetDuke32. I was wondering what tools you recommend using for packaging .pk3

I imagine most existing Build/Duke3d tools would work, yes?

Where would you recommend I start? I’ve made Duke3d/Eduke32 mods before but never for NetDuke32.

Thanks!

You can just use 7-zip (as long as you use zip format, not 7z) or SLADE.

• Auramancer

View PostNash, on 15 May 2022 - 04:59 AM, said:

!Hello, just tried this port, seems to run well in a quick coop test.

Will there be an option to prevent deathmatch weapons from spawning in coop?

Just letting you know, this feature has been implemented and will be available in NetDuke32 v1.2.

Greetings,

I was wondering what version of eduke NetDuke32 uses for EDUKE.CON, WEAPON.CON and if there is a mirror for the defaults available? Was there a specific version of EDuke32 that you forked from that point? I've tried using customized EDUKE and WEAPONS and it sites critical errors in EDUKE when I try to launch the game, even though when using the same files in the latest version of EDuke32 they run without issue.

Thank you so much for all of your dedication and hard work it is so much fun to be able to play dukematch and tinker with multiplayer mods again! Thank you for answering my questions, I love this community it's just the best!!!

Oh and I wanted to ask you if there were any plans to make a GUI with lists of lobbies and things for NetLauncher? If not no big deal it works great I was just thinking it could be nice to meet new duke fans!

This post has been edited by Overfl0w: 02 July 2022 - 02:13 PM

Disregard, I answered my own questions. :)

Is this be the best place to track of progress for NetDuke32?

User is offline   Nash 

View PostStriker, on 15 June 2022 - 10:53 AM, said:

Just letting you know, this feature has been implemented and will be available in NetDuke32 v1.2.

Wonderful! Looking forward to start our coop playthrough as soon as v1.2 drops. :)

EDIT: One other question though; I'd like to get some mods working with this port but it seems the autoload folder doesn't work... ?

This post has been edited by Nash: 10 July 2022 - 01:53 PM

• Auramancer

View PostNash, on 10 July 2022 - 01:44 PM, said:

Wonderful! Looking forward to start our coop playthrough as soon as v1.2 drops. :)

EDIT: One other question though; I'd like to get some mods working with this port but it seems the autoload folder doesn't work... ?

The autoload folder works, but you need to enable it in the startup window. Also, keep in mind, EDuke32 mods that uses custom CONs might not work with this port, either because they use the later CON VM (which is far more advanced than the one in this build), or, they simply weren't made with MP in mind. Though, Vanilla mods and TCs should work just fine.

User is offline   Drogoganor 

Awesome port, I love it! I was wondering about adding support for a few options to make co-op more palatable with friends who might get a bit frustrated with dying often to enemies or jumping puzzles:

I wanted to kindly request the following features for NetDuke32:

- A "Fast Item Respawn" game flag that sets item respawns to 2 seconds or so. With this enabled you might want to disable the respawn item sound effect.
- A "Keep after death" flag with options for weapons/weapons + items/weapons + items + ammo, so co-op players don't have to go scour the map for items again after they die.
- The ability for bots to engage monsters. (The bots are really awesome btw).

Another request which might not be possible but I would really love, is the ability for the host to set the co-op spawn points where they're currently standing. This would let me set a spawn point closer to the action so my friends aren't spending the majority of their time running back through the level.

Thanks very much for your work on NetDuke32 so far. I'm hoping it might create a small new renaissance for Build engine games multiplayer. Good luck with RC 1.2.

• Auramancer

View PostDrogoganor, on 24 July 2022 - 03:37 AM, said:

Awesome port, I love it! I was wondering about adding support for a few options to make co-op more palatable with friends who might get a bit frustrated with dying often to enemies or jumping puzzles:

I wanted to kindly request the following features for NetDuke32:

- A "Fast Item Respawn" game flag that sets item respawns to 2 seconds or so. With this enabled you might want to disable the respawn item sound effect.
- A "Keep after death" flag with options for weapons/weapons + items/weapons + items + ammo, so co-op players don't have to go scour the map for items again after they die.
- The ability for bots to engage monsters. (The bots are really awesome btw).

Another request which might not be possible but I would really love, is the ability for the host to set the co-op spawn points where they're currently standing. This would let me set a spawn point closer to the action so my friends aren't spending the majority of their time running back through the level.

Thanks very much for your work on NetDuke32 so far. I'm hoping it might create a small new renaissance for Build engine games multiplayer. Good luck with RC 1.2.

First one isn't possible since it's tied to the CON scripts, but you could make it a mod. There's a value in USER.CON that controls the item respawn time. Could make a modified version of that file that and pack it into a GRP or PK3 file. Just make sure everyone in the session has it otherwise you'll get a desynchronized game.

There's an internal flag for keeping inventory after death, so I'll look into exposing it as soon as I'm able (and remember to do it).

As for the bots, that's planned, but there's a lot of code I need to rewrite to make that happen.

User is offline   Nash 

Eager to play the next version - when's it coming out? :)

• Auramancer

When it's ready. Should be getting fairly close, though.

• Auramancer

After 6+ months of grueling work, I'm finally able to release NetDuke32 v1.2!

Merry Christmas everyone.

I haven't been able to get everything done that I wanted to, unfortunately. Still a lot of stuff I want to implement and fix. That'll have to come as a hotfix build or v1.3.

Download and Changelog Here: https://voidpoint.io.../NetDuke32_v1.2

EDIT: StrikerDM has also been updated: https://forums.duke4...post__p__376101

As a bonus, since NetDuke32 is much closer to modern EDuke32's CON featureset, I've ported Fox's Duke Nukem 64 TC to it, making the necessary changes to accommodate NetDuke32's prediction code quirks. (Along with a few bits of polish, like widescreen sprites) So, you can now play Duke 64 online for the first time in a long time, if not ever.

Posted Image

Download: https://shadowmaveri..._nd32_beta2.pk3

Just stick that in the mods folder, and select it when setting up a match in NetLauncher.

Just to note, there's a known issue with some sprites turning into white squares in the Duke64 TC. This is an engine bug that I'm waiting on the other Voidpoint lads to fix. If a fix comes soon, I'll update v1.2 with a hotfix.

I think after this release, I'll be taking a considerably long break. Getting this out and in a reasonable state has taken its toll on me mentally, and I'm pretty burned out.

User is offline   Kylie 

Thank you for your hard work on this Striker! I look forward to trying it out soon. Also, I know what it's like to be burned out from a long and stressful project, so take as long as you need before getting back into it.

• Auramancer

Here's NetDuke32 v1.2.1. It's a hotfix build. Should take care of a few crahes/issues that have been found.
Link: https://voidpoint.io...etDuke32_v1.2.1

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I don't know why it took me so long to decide to start playing around with this. That's some amazing lapse in judgement on my part.

I have a question about the dukebots. Are they only functional on vanilla maps or are they capable of navigating custom/add-on content? Totally understandable if the former of course; just in my experience DM bots can vary wildly in this regard.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 08 January 2023 - 09:52 AM

• Auramancer

View PostNinety-Six, on 08 January 2023 - 09:51 AM, said:

I don't know why it took me so long to decide to start playing around with this. That's some amazing lapse in judgement on my part.

I have a question about the dukebots. Are they only functional on vanilla maps or are they capable of navigating custom/add-on content? Totally understandable if the former of course; just in my experience DM bots can vary wildly in this regard.

They can navigate custom maps. Really just depends on the layout. They prefer convex sectors, they have difficulties navigating concave structures, as they'll try to target a sector line that's obscured by another, and run into a wall in that case. I tried to counter this by making the bots strafe side to side if they get stuck, and even try to navigate to the last seen player's location.

Alright I've played with it a bit (tested with bots and I am amazed at how easily they can kick my ass if I'm not paying attention. Very not used to DM bots being so dangerous. Good work). I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Is Alien World Order/World Tour supported? I see a few trace references to it on the site, but it doesn't show up as an option in the startup window. Do I have to put a version of ND32 in the WT folder with the stopgap, or how does that work? Or is it just unsupported as of yet? (again, totally fine if so I'm just trying to learn more about this port)

2. Is there any way to set some kind of end state for a match (i.e., certain time limit, certain kill limit, etc) or does the host have to manually switch the maps every time? I can't seem to find such options either in the menu or on the list of command line parameters.

3. How do you change how many lives you get in Survival mode? I just seem to spawn with only one.

Sorry if these might seem obvious, but I couldn't find a manual or detailed readme for this (I only found a readme for NetLauncher)

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 January 2023 - 04:12 PM

• Auramancer

View PostNinety-Six, on 12 January 2023 - 12:46 PM, said:

Alright I've played with it a bit (tested with bots and I am amazed at how easily they can kick my ass if I'm not paying attention. Very not used to DM bots being so dangerous. Good work). I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. Is Alien World Order/World Tour supported? I see a few trace references to it on the site, but it doesn't show up as an option in the startup window. Do I have to put a version of ND32 in the WT folder with the stopgap, or how does that work? Or is it just unsupported as of yet? (again, totally fine if so I'm just trying to learn more about this port)

2. Is there any way to set some kind of end state for a match (i.e., certain time limit, certain kill limit, etc) or does the host have to manually switch the maps every time? I can't seem to find such options either in the menu or on the list of command line parameters.

3. How do you change how many lives you get in Survival mode? I just seem to spawn with only one.

Sorry if these might seem obvious, but I couldn't find a manual or detailed readme for this (I only found a readme for NetLauncher)

If using StrikerDM, it is World Tour compatible if you use the build tool linked on the StrikerDM page, and stick the resultant WorldTour_SDM.pk3 in your command line alongside StrikerDM, or in the autoload folder (make sure to enable that folder in the startup window.). If running vanilla, world tour isn't supported yet. It'll show up as Episode 12 if loaded correctly.

There is a frag limit you can set by using "fraglimit <num>" in the console.

You change your number of survival lives with fraglimit as well.

View PostStriker, on 12 January 2023 - 04:18 PM, said:

If using StrikerDM, it is World Tour compatible if you use the build tool linked on the StrikerDM page, and stick the resultant WorldTour_SDM.pk3 in your command line alongside StrikerDM, or in the autoload folder (make sure to enable that folder in the startup window.). If running vanilla, world tour isn't supported yet. It'll show up as Episode 12 if loaded correctly.

There is a frag limit you can set by using "fraglimit <num>" in the console.

You change your number of survival lives with fraglimit as well.

Thank you kindly.

Sorry to say but survival seems completely broken. The command you listed didn't affect the amount of lives (nor did any variant I tried to think of), everyone seems to spawn on the same team, everyone spawns in the same location, being dead renders the screen completely black, and when there's one combatant left, they don't win and so the match doesn't end.

In fact, come to think of it, it's like the game believes it's cooperative.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 23 January 2023 - 06:41 PM

• Auramancer

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 January 2023 - 06:39 PM, said:

Sorry to say but survival seems completely broken. The command you listed didn't affect the amount of lives (nor did any variant I tried to think of), everyone seems to spawn on the same team, everyone spawns in the same location, being dead renders the screen completely black, and when there's one combatant left, they don't win and so the match doesn't end.

In fact, come to think of it, it's like the game believes it's cooperative.

What?

Survival isn't a deathmatch/PvP mode. It's COOP with limited lives. Also, you need to restart the map/match after you set fraglimit for the number of lives, it isn't something that takes effect immediately. (Since it sets the number of lives you start with)

It's not broken, you're just not using it correctly/have a misunderstanding of what it is.

View PostStriker, on 24 January 2023 - 12:52 AM, said:

It's not broken, you're just not using it correctly/have a misunderstanding of what it is.

Oh. Yeah okay that makes more sense.

View PostStriker, on 24 January 2023 - 12:52 AM, said:

Also, you need to restart the map/match after you set fraglimit for the number of lives, it isn't something that takes effect immediately. (Since it sets the number of lives you start with)

I've been entering fraglimit on the prep screen, before the map even begins.

• Auramancer

View PostNinety-Six, on 24 January 2023 - 09:31 AM, said:

I've been entering fraglimit on the prep screen, before the map even begins.

Should be taking effect, then. Basically, when you run out of lives, you cannot respawn (you can only coop-spy with K). Once all players are dead, and someone presses the "use" key, it should restart the map from the beginning with a pistol start.

• Auramancer

In case anyone is wondering why the slow progress, I've been taking a break due to physical and mental health issues, and have been pretty burned out. I was hospitalized due having a severe infection/cyst at the base of my spine, and I have been recovering from that. I also had covid just before that, which didn't help matters. (I am mostly fine, now)

Last year I pretty much lived, breathed, and shat Duke3D, so I needed a break regardless.

I plan on returning to working on this in May, and I have some cool stuff on the way. (Such as backwards reconciliation for hitscans, and new packet code that'll hopefully cut down on latency, and allow a bunch of new stuff to be done with the game.)

User is offline   Kylie 

Striker, it's good to hear that you've recovered. We all appreciate the work that you've done on NetDuke32, but please feel free to take your time. That being said, I'm looking forward to what's in store for the future!

User is offline   Nash 

How do I load mods? I'm trying to use the skybox pack by Phredreeke linked in the following post: https://forums.duke4...post__p__376678

I place the skyboxes.zip file into the "mods" folder in Netduke32, have selected the "mods" folder from the startup launcher, but the skyboxes don't show up in-game. I also tried renaming it from ZIP to PK3 but still no dice.

PS get well soon Striker!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options