Duke4.net Forums: TROR CBP RPOJECT - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TROR CBP RPOJECT

I was wondering if anyone is interested in making a new CBP project where the only rules are you must use TROR at lease once (You can use it more than once) in your area, and you must keep to or below 1000 walls.

This is the TROR tutorial I learnt from.

I'm keep and will start the level if other people are interested.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 22 June 2021 - 09:14 PM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I’d be interested, but it really depends on if there’s any other criteria you’re looking for with this whether or not I could do so. If you want more experienced mappers then I am not one. I also have a lot of priorities outside of Duke right now (college, training new dog, etc.), so I would need to be sure I’d have a bit of time to get the map done.

Otherwise, I like the idea of this CBP, and would like to see it move forward regardless if I contribute or not.

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostGerolf, on 23 June 2021 - 06:38 AM, said:

If you want more experienced mappers then I am not one.

If you can do TROR then you're de facto a more advanced mapper than me, I could never find the motivation to learn that stuff. I'm way too rooted in OG Build habits, to me that would be like learning Twitter - too modern for my preferred ways of doing things, I'm aware it opens a lot of doors but I'm that imbecile who enjoys the torture of the limitation (otherwise it would have been an absolute pleasure to join this, and it's a generous opportunity to learn for those who would like to). Please don't look down on yourself, it would be interesting to see what you would come up with for this or in terms of mapping in general. It doesn't matter how many levels you've made or released before, what matters is starting somewhere. I like your YouTube uploads and taste in maps quite a bit, so I think by extension it would be cool to see level design from you.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 23 June 2021 - 07:26 AM

@Gerolf
Anybody can join whatever their experience is, even if they never mapped before, :P as long as they are willing to learn / build 1 TROR area.

@ck3D
I understand not willing to learn TROR, there are already millions of great maps without it, I avoided it intentionally until this year, after trying it out I was really surprised how easy it was and how well it worked.
TBH, It is surprisingly easy to make/use and fun to experiment with and it is now good enough to work on all graphic settings. I'm glad I learnt how to use it and will never look back.
Its up to you, but might be a fun exercise to learn and play around with.

Anyways I have started the level, hopefully its not just me working on it. :D

This post has been edited by William Gee: 23 June 2021 - 01:40 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postck3D, on 23 June 2021 - 07:14 AM, said:

If you can do TROR then you're de facto a more advanced mapper than me, I could never find the motivation to learn that stuff. I'm way too rooted in OG Build habits, to me that would be like learning Twitter - too modern for my preferred ways of doing things, I'm aware it opens a lot of doors but I'm that imbecile who enjoys the torture of the limitation (otherwise it would have been an absolute pleasure to join this, and it's a generous opportunity to learn for those who would like to). Please don't look down on yourself, it would be interesting to see what you would come up with for this or in terms of mapping in general. It doesn't matter how many levels you've made or released before, what matters is starting somewhere. I like your YouTube uploads and taste in maps quite a bit, so I think by extension it would be cool to see level design from you.

I don't map any more so I'm not throwing my hat in the ring, but I did look at the wiki to get the key commands and pretty much figured out how to do simple tror in around 30-45 minutes. (probably less time, because I immediately started experimenting).

Doing tror is pretty basic stuff. The 'difficult' part is planning everything out ahead of time.

User is offline   ck3D 

^ You know, rereading my post, I realize I sounded overly harsh on TROR, at the end of the day it's a great feature and I would never really advocate choosing to not learn new things in general - which obviously has to start with me if I'm going to think that. I actually watched that tutorial video and the technique and kind of planning involved is actually very similar to how I'm already building classic SOS these days, with square sector-based grids enabling good control over layout manipulation and observation of matching coordinates and so the learning curve wouldn't be so much of a stretch. Will's information that the feature is better supported these days is also a good selling point, I'm a bit behind in updates and so not necessarily aware of this kind of stuff.

I think I'm just too focused on my current project right now which doesn't use TROR and so that's just not been my priority yet, but the possibilities are quite tempting. Indeed joining this would be the perfect exercise, just realistically I'm not certain taking on even more mapping duties would be wise for me right now, I'm already knee deep in this mess and struggling to even play other people's levels. I'll still keep an interested eye out on this thread, though!

Out of curiosity, Will, is there supposed to be an established theme to more than just your part? Or is it free and should people build whatever they want as long as it has TROR, and then send their part in for you to join it? (In this case, pre-establishing how tags should be distributed per mapper would be sweet, last CBP worked well like that and had every individual mapper granted one given range of 200 tags IIRC)

Also, Forge, I miss you mapping!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 24 June 2021 - 08:21 AM

User is offline   pavigna 

I’d be interested, depending on when the deadline for this would be. I like doing weird stuff with TROR so i’d be more than happy to try my hand at something like this. If the deadline allows me to finish my current project then i can definitely come up with something if you want.

/\ Good to hear! :)

Mappers can build whatever they want as long as they use TROR some how, they can either follow my theme or make one of there own, the only objective is to create a TROR area in the level.

As for copy pasting from one map to another, my experience with TROR is that may cause issues, I tend to loose the portal when I try to do that.

There is no deadline atm, though it would be good to have 1 mapper ready to take over once I have finished my part. But then again there is no rush, we can just take our time, specially since some people might be learning something new.

Also we can help each other out if there are any TROR questions.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 24 June 2021 - 06:41 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 24 June 2021 - 06:39 PM, said:

/\ Good to hear! :)

As for copy pasting from one map to another, my experience with TROR is that may cause issues, I tend to loose the portal when I try to do that.

TROR - Breaks when you try and copy sectors with it because you're not selecting all layers when you highlight it.

Try copying the TROR sectors with <ALT> + <Shiftt> It should show you in 2D mode the text ALL when you select that way rather than just using <ALT>.

I'm also not really of the untextured walls in that tutorial video, it's really hard on the eyes and that version of Mapster sure seems to load a lot slower as well. Granted it probably has more functionality it's still a significant load time.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 24 June 2021 - 07:00 PM

I just tried the ALT + SHIFT to select "ALL" for copy pasting TROR sectors and it still didn't copy the portal over.

Anyways this is my part... half way done 500 walls.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 24 June 2021 - 07:27 PM, said:

I just tried the ALT + SHIFT to select "ALL" for copy pasting TROR sectors and it still didn't copy the portal over.

Maybe a bug in the Mapster version you are using. All layers should get highlighted and copied. I have no problem doing this.

User is offline   ck3D 

Screen looks so cool, OK if you can deal with someone who can't exactly promise to pull through then I might be down to give this a try the next time a spot frees up (not sure if pavigna will want to go first), 1000 walls as a limit actually sounds perfect for me to build something quick in a day or two all the while figuring out TROR, even if that's a one-off move and I realize I indeed don't like it, it would still be an effect I'd be able to say I've done once. Reluctancy to new stuff is always a weakness and this is too great of a learning opportunity to pass on!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 25 June 2021 - 02:08 PM

Cool ck3D! Hopefully it works out. :D

I just updated my mapster32, tried to copy past my current TROR area and it wouldn't past the portal, Yes all areas were pasted just the portal remained a floor.
So I did some tests making a new basic square level and it worked, I could copy / past several times. Then adding some details made it refuse.
Then I went back to this cbp level and tried again, and it did worked, I copy pasted twice with no problems with the portal. Then I tried deleted those parts and tried again to find out why it works or doesn't, and it stopped working, couldn't see through the portal again just a floor texture.

So the end of my experimenting I found yes it works, but there are ways to prevent it from working, and I haven't worked out what those are, I presume its related to details added under the portal area.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 25 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

User is offline   Mark 

View Postck3D, on 25 June 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

... (not sure if pavigna will want to go first)...

I don't speak for Pavigna but I know he has a deadline coming up soon to meet for another project he is on so I'm guessing he'll say you can go first. But wait to hear from him if you want to be sure.

This post has been edited by Mark: 25 June 2021 - 03:52 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postck3D, on 25 June 2021 - 02:04 PM, said:

Screen looks so cool, OK if you can deal with someone who can't exactly promise to pull through then I might be down to give this a try the next time a spot frees up (not sure if pavigna will want to go first), 1000 walls as a limit actually sounds perfect for me to build something quick in a day or two all the while figuring out TROR, even if that's a one-off move and I realize I indeed don't like it, it would still be an effect I'd be able to say I've done once. Reluctancy to new stuff is always a weakness and this is too great of a learning opportunity to pass on!

took me less than 15 minutes to figure out and make something as simple as this.
You'll see how easy it is and will make amazing things because you are very creative and have good vision.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 June 2021 - 08:09 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I have decided I will for sure be contributing something to this then after reading more responses. I’ll PM you the map file, William Gee, when I have my part completed!

View PostGerolf, on 26 June 2021 - 05:50 AM, said:

I have decided I will for sure be contributing something to this then after reading more responses. I’ll PM you the map file, William Gee, when I have my part completed!

That's great news! (y)

I have finished all of the sector work in my part, at 999 walls, just adding gameplay and sounds now.

Let me know if anyone wants to start the next part as I will be finished soon.. :) Doesn't take long to use 1000 walls. :o

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0003.png
  • Attached Image: duke0004.png

User is offline   Aleks 

After giving it some thought, I'll be joining this one as well! :) I'm basically on the same boat as MRCK, having never used TROR before and not really feeling like using it in my own projects, so this seems like a good opportunity to give it a shot.

Also I'd like to put dibs on the making ending, if no one claimed that yet :P I got some quite bizarre ideas which hopefully will work out. Not sure if there'll be a general theme (or some thematic progression) between the parts, but I'll try to stick coherent with the rest doing my part. We could also try setting some general order of the parts already since more people joined. I'll post a link on Discord too, maybe that would lure someone else.

I wrongfully presumed you had used TROR and were a expert. :D
Anyways happy to know you want to join. :) There are a few of us now. (y)
BTW I have finished my part. Just need 1 person to continue the mapping. :D

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm down to carry that torch Will, I just finished my (formerly) current map last night and so right now would be perfect timing for me to sink my teeth into something different real quick. Thanks again for doing this, looking forward!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 June 2021 - 05:47 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 27 June 2021 - 02:38 AM, said:

I wrongfully presumed you had used TROR and were a expert. :D

Hahaha, nah I was out of the loop for quite some time and completely missed the implementation of TROR, so just kept on focusing on the stuff I knew (so regular SOS and tons of spriteworks :D).

This post has been edited by Aleks: 27 June 2021 - 05:50 AM

The level has been sent to ck3D.

User is online   Sangman 

1000 walls max sounds like something that shouldn't take up too much time, I'd be willing to take a crack at it

Fantastic!

So the people we have so far are

William Gee (Finished)
ck3D (Has the map)

pavigna
Sangman
Gerolf

Aleks (doing the ending)

There is plenty or room for more people if others want to join. :)

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostWilliam Gee, on 27 June 2021 - 01:05 PM, said:

The level has been sent to ck3D.

Thank you Will I successfully got it, I will be working on my part over the next couple of days and post updates on how stuff comes up!

User is offline   ck3D 

My apologies for taking my time here, I've been meaning to find a full day to devote to my part but work has been picking up and my schedule has become unpredictable. I still want to do it as soon as possible, I just can't predict when exactly that will be, could be tomorrow, this weekend, next week. Since I really don't want to hold the project back by sitting on the map for nothing, though, if anyone else happens to have more spare time this week and wishes to give their part a shot before I get to make mine then feel free to hit me up; otherwise I'll just pass it when I'm done, as originally intended. My bad for being that guy here!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 July 2021 - 12:31 AM

All good. Hopefully you get some inspiration for the map some time. :D

User is offline   ck3D 

Bumping the thread because while I still do intend to build my part, right now really is turning out to be busy times for me, schedule probably won't clear up in weeks and so once more I want to double check that no one else wants the level right now to make their part first. Because I have no choice but sit on my contribution for now doesn't mean progress should be stalling, so if anyone is tempted feel free to hit me up (or contact Will I suppose) to get the level.

Happy birthday Will, by the way - now I wish this post were bringing more exciting news on the mapping front, but alas!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 05 August 2021 - 05:53 PM

User is online   Sangman 

Send it over I guess :)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options