Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: HRP Real Weapons Models Action Movies style - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: HRP Real Weapons Models Action Movies style

User is offline   Nfsfan83 

Hi Guys,

I 'm new one here ;) I love Duke Nukem 3D also like HRP version but I just wondering. Some time I collect nice models of weapons from 80's action movies like Predator 1987 or Terminator 1 1984 to HL1 and for addons. On my YT channel You can see:

Half Life 80's action movies weapons pack

Opposing Force 80's action movies weapons pack

So my question is is it possible to use these models to Duke Nukem 3D HRP and use these 3D nice models like Desert Eagle, M16A2 with M203, M60, M134 also I have M202 and Minigun.

Greetings Nfsfan83

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 14 November 2020 - 12:45 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Hello, welcome to the forum.
It is technically possible to use those weapons in the HRP. You would have to convert the weapons and any game-specific animations to an MD3 model to work with the HRP. Textures would have to be converted to PNG or TIFF.
Take a look at the definition files in the HRP and see how it's set up.

There was a mod for Half Life I called 'Cataclysm'. It's long gone and cancelled, but I don't know if you would want to have a play with the assets if you are into HL modding.

I don't have any 3D skills to modeling etc but where I can read about MD3 models to HRP?

In weapons models from HL1, there is only one file, that have all animations: idle, shoot, reload.

Duke Nukem 3D HRP is so cool...But example:

Posted Image

this shotgun model (from DNF?) has weird front?

This model for Counter Strike:

https://gamebanana.com/skins/143008

It is almost perfect:

Posted Image

About Glock much better is cool Desert Eagle:

https://gamebanana.com/skins/75513

I have this model with hands for Opposing Force - black glow more in DN style

And for RPG... what You think about nice AT4 M136 from MW??? Cool? Like RPG from N64 :)

Posted Image

EVEN

is it possible record animation of these HL1 weapons in editor and make it spirtes

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 15 November 2020 - 04:42 AM

I use https://gamebanana.com/skins/143008

flip model and make quick presentation in Neosis :)

Posted Image

Much better looking shotgun?

Also Neosis can convert mdl to md3 file but... where are models are? In duke3d_hrp pack? and how to replace and set nice position in game? and where textures I must copy?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 15 November 2020 - 05:38 AM

• Polymancer

You probably downloaded the HRP as a zip file. If you unpack the zip file, one of the folders you will get is 'highres'. Go into the 'highres' folder and go to 'sprites'. From there, go to 'firstperson' The files for the HUD items like the hands and weapons are in here.
Attached Image: HRP.jpg

If you come out of the 'firstperson' folder, you'll find a 'firstperson.def'. This is a text file that tells the engine how to load the model and texture files.
Attached Image: hud2.jpg

Here is a guide to various definition explanations: https://wiki.eduke32...ki/DEF_Language

Tea Monster thanks for advice but problem is how to set good model in game. I mean I can convert HL1 model to md3. In new model md3 I have all animation like idle, shoot and reload but how to set it in Duke Engine I mean: position, good frames and animation.

I need some small help for someone who can programing this?

About textures - HL1 model has example 5 textures: body, grip, barrel, hand and shell? Can I add this all 5 to HRP textures or must join to one?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 18 November 2020 - 05:34 AM

• Polymancer

EDuke models can have multiple shells/hulls/objects, each with it's own material and UV maps. So you don't have to unify your HL models to get them into Eduke.

A good way to start is to open the MD3 in your 3D app of choice (Noesis will work fine) and check the position and scale of the model to an existing Duke model. You can adjust the position of the model completely through the def file, but for starters, I'd try that. That is how I got the position of my pistol to match up with the earlier version. If you match the scale and position to an existing asset, you hopefully won't need to tweak your def file too much.

Unless you partner up with someone on the site, nobody is going to do it for you. We all had to learn how to do this stuff. You can ask around if someone wants to help with this aspect, but it depends if someone has the time to spare and the interest. I am currently busy with other projects myself, but have an ask around.

Alternatively, and this is what we all did, learn how to get models into the game. If you have problems, post here or in the HRP thread and people will do their best to attempt to answer specific questions you have.

Here are some threads that might help:
This thread has some hints and tips: https://forums.duke4...__1#entry334020

Here's a video I did on exporting models from Blender for the HRP/MD3

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 November 2020 - 08:34 AM

Ok , So I comparsion in NPhernos MD3 compiler original shotgun md3 file and my new shotgun form HL and two most important things:

1. orginal shotgun is only 4 frames? my is 183 all animation, what frame limit is?

2. weird position of original shotgun in NPhernos MD3 compiler i must move him few times to center to see anything, my works fine on center.

3. is it any polygons limit of the model?

Also I need some tutorial about this: "frame" "anim" and "hud" need description with some help screens

// Shotgun (2613)
model "highres/sprites/firstperson_polymost/2613_shotgun.md3" {
scale 1.7
skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/firstperson_polymost/2613_shotgun.png" }
frame { name "2613" tile 2613 }
frame { name "2613" tile 2614 }
frame { name "2613" tile 2615 }
frame { name "2616" tile 2616 }
frame { name "2617" tile 2617 }
frame { name "2618" tile 2618 }
frame { name "2619" tile 2619 }
// anim { frame0 "pump1" frame1 "pump2" fps 30 flags 1 }
// frame { name "pump1" tile0 2617 tile1 2619 }
hud { tile 2613 xadd 0.12 yadd 1.35 zadd -0.54 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2616 xadd 0.053 yadd 1.167 zadd -0.54 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2617 xadd -0.21 yadd 1.28 zadd -0.8 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2618 xadd -0.474 yadd 1.407 zadd -0.8 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2619 xadd -0.474 yadd 1.407 zadd -0.8 angadd -24 }

Tea Monster I know nobody want help, because we live in weird times :( but I want make Duke Nukem 3D more great :D

By myself I can't handled weapons animations, I'm good in level design, this is my sftuff:

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 18 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

• Polymancer

View PostNfsfan83, on 18 November 2020 - 09:58 AM, said:

Ok , So I comparsion in NPhernos MD3 compiler original shotgun md3 file and my new shotgun form HL and two most important things:

1. orginal shotgun is only 4 frames? my is 183 all animation, what frame limit is?

Source has skeletal animation, so maybe it literally exported every frame, rather than keyframes? I've messed around with the HL2 map editor, but never really got into model modding, so I couldn't tell you. EDuke can interpolate between animation frames. Eduke has a system where if you have 4 original animation 'frames' for a sprite animation, you can give your model more frames and it will fill in that particular sprite action with more animation frames. So the death animation is 3 frames on the sprites, but the model of the Cycloid can reach out to the player for mercy before expiring.

2. weird position of original shotgun in NPhernos MD3 compiler i must move him few times to center to see anything, my works fine on center.

Don't know without seeing what you are talking about. Again, you can tweak the def file to precisely position your model. I suggested matching the positions and orientations to make it easier for you.

3. is it any polygons limit of the model?

I've made boss models with 13K + polys, so anything that will work in HL 2 should work fine in EDuke. There are problems with polymer, but they are more engine and renderer limitations, rather than model polycounts.

Also I need some tutorial about this: "frame" "anim" and "hud" need description with some help screens

You'll have to see if anyone else prepared something. I learned by doing back in the day. I know there are some things up on the wiki.

frame with the two numbers is the animation of the sprites that the model is replacing. Each tile in Duke3D has a tile number. The frame with the brackets after it indicates what animation block it is replacing, like firing, or recoil.
skin is the name of the diffuse skin. You can specify diffuse, normal and specular. There is supposedly a gloss skin for polymer but we could never get it working reliable. There is a gloss component that can be specified per model hull in the def file. Again, see the docs.
The 'hud' instruction tells the engine to place the model in the heads-up-display. the "_add" commands tell the game where to place, rotate or tilt the model within the HUD space.

// Shotgun (2613)
scale 1.7
// anim { frame0 "pump1" frame1 "pump2" fps 30 flags 1 }
// frame { name "pump1" tile0 2617 tile1 2619 }
hud { tile 2613 xadd 0.12 yadd 1.35 zadd -0.54 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2616 xadd 0.053 yadd 1.167 zadd -0.54 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2617 xadd -0.21 yadd 1.28 zadd -0.8 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2618 xadd -0.474 yadd 1.407 zadd -0.8 angadd -24 }
hud { tile 2619 xadd -0.474 yadd 1.407 zadd -0.8 angadd -24 }

Tea Monster I know nobody want help, because we live in weird times :( but I want make Duke Nukem 3D more great :D

Due to a number of issues, the focus of the Duke community here has shifted to sprite-based modding. I can't really help because I have a lot of real-life on hand and I need to concentrate on that at the moment.

By myself I can't handled weapons animations, I'm good in level design, this is my sftuff:

Looks good!

Quick fake for funny - my dream list weapons models:

Posted Image

So if 3D model is too hard to make to Duke, If I make screen caps from 3D program, 3D viewer animation, is it any one who can make nice sprites from this?

Honestly I love old sprites style more than 3D models, and what I see, what talented people make for example: Brutal Doom I'm impressed.

Using 3D models for CS and HL to make spirtes???

• Polymancer

It's not too hard. You just have to learn to do it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

You can use fully animated models in game but they have to be converted to the ancient .md3 format. It's been done for plenty of mods.

For quick preview, to see if this it works I do this:

1. Open HL1 mdl model in Neosis and converted it to md3 file
2. rename to 2613_shotgun and add to HRP pack file
3. When game start, I have in Eduke32 launcher: something like - warrning model can't be load
4. In game when I take models 3d - I have spirte model

I think problem is frames number of animations:

1. oryginal shotgun from HRP - only 5 frames like spirtes
2. my new shotgun in md3 file - all animations is 184 frames

and start postion of model

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 19 November 2020 - 04:55 AM

User is offline   Mark 

You have to do more than only rename your model. There are lines of code you need to add or modify in the .def file that Teamonster posted earlier. You need to know the internal "frame name" for each animation you want to use. In Teamonster's example that name is the same as the tile number you are replacing. But those names can be amost anything depending on the program that was used to create the model. I use a program called Npherno to load the model and find what the frame names are. There are a lot of small things you have to do to get a new model in the game, but after you do it once it becomes way easier. Like other modders, I learned by looking at the HRP examples.

This post has been edited by Mark: 19 November 2020 - 05:52 AM

I still can't understand how to add "name" of frames to models!!!

In NPhernos MD3 compiler on Left - original shotgun 3D --- on Right my new model from HL

Posted Image

Like You see original shotgun 3D has 5 grey squares (number of frames) and each frame has name

On my model IS IT 184 grey squares without name. How to make my model 5 frames and add names to frames :)

One thing, sometime ago, I try learn UDK to make any levels etc:

Las Vegas in DNF style:

And I just try if I can make nice jungle in feeling of graphics like from 2004

Also I want make most oldschool retro jungle in UDK (3d models from Far Cry and Crysis)

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 22 November 2020 - 09:37 AM

User is offline   Mark 

When the original model was being saved, the creator's program should have given the model it's default frame name. It should be showing in the blank white box on the lower right side of Npherno. For some reason that name got deleted during conversion to another format. You will have to load the model into some 3d model program and resave it so it can get frame name again. For instance, Blender automatically saves frame names as FRAME1, FRAME2... Misfit Model 3D names them none00 if static and AnimFrames00, AnimFrames01...if animated.

But is it any way to add frame name to converted model?

• Polymancer

One thing you could try is to open the MD3 model in Misfit Model 3d or Maverick Model 3D. Then save them out again from MM3D. When it saves the model out from MM3D, it should give each frame number a name.
I've not tried this myself, but it's one idea I came up with.

Tea Monster I try it and have error:

Too many vertics in a single group for M3D export

I think my model is too high poly

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 24 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

• Polymancer

AHH. Yeah I remember, someone issued a patch to fix that. I'll try and find it.

Here. Mark posted it earlier.

View PostMark, on 30 January 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

Here is the complete no limits version.

My link

Yeah. Like, a LOT earlier :D

For future reference, what soft are you using? Blender has a working MD3 exporter and I know that Valve issued some source engine tools.
If you can get it into Blender, this might work better generally.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 24 November 2020 - 10:46 AM

I have Windows XP SP 3 :) and have 3DS Max 2009, Milkshape and for Duke Models I find: NPhernos MD3 compiler also use Neosis for conversion HL to Q3 model.

But I can't make any animation.

Ok, so with Your help Guys, I make a little progres!!!

Now I can see name of frames in NPhernos MD3 compiler:

Posted Image

So now how to edit this:

// Shotgun (2613)
scale 1.7
hud { tile 2613 xadd 0.12 yadd 1.15 zadd -0.4 angadd -24 fov 280 }
hud { tile 2616 xadd 0.053 yadd 1.15 zadd -0.4 angadd -24 fov 280 }
hud { tile 2617 xadd -0.21 yadd 1.15 zadd -0.4 angadd -24 fov 280 }
hud { tile 2618 xadd -0.474 yadd 1.15 zadd -0.7 angadd -24 fov 280 }
hud { tile 2619 xadd -0.474 yadd 1.15 zadd -0.7 angadd -24 fov 280 }
}

If in my model:

1. idle is AnimFrames00

2. shoot is from 01 to 12

3. reload is from 13 to 30

how to edit DEF?

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 24 November 2020 - 11:43 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I wonder if viewing the model in a hex editing program would allow you to add your own name. I never tried it so I would know where to add it. Possibly by loading a model with a known name you could find out where to add it in.

EDIT: I loaded an md3 model with a valid frame name into HxD hex editor program. The model's frame name showed on the 10th line from the top. So it looks like you can add your own name in there.

This post has been edited by Mark: 24 November 2020 - 11:38 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

It's possible to edit frame names in NMD3C and re-export the file.

User is offline   Mark 

I tried changing a name in Npherno and it didn't save. I'll have to try again.

This post has been edited by Mark: 24 November 2020 - 04:08 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You have to use the Export Objects button.

User is offline   Mark 

I've used the program for years. I must have had a "senior moment" when I tried to change the name the first time. It worked now. DUH...

Update my fight with this model :)

Here is a model to test and fix with textures:

https://drive.google...aNe?usp=sharing

In Mistif Model 3D shotgun has all animation with all 184 frames

Posted Image

I delete all frames and copy first frame x5 - so I have 5 this same frames, than open in NPhernos MD3 compiler

Posted Image

But still name is AnimeFrames00

I think Shotgun model has limit 5 frames only (like sprites) all models have this same. So only 5 frames can be correct.

To who I must write :) to change it in HRP pack, because this is perfect shotgun position in game in NOT POLYMER mode I use this settings:

https://forums.duke4...tgun-palm-tree/

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Nfsfan83: 25 November 2020 - 04:25 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options