Duke4.net Forums: Weapons flickering in Dosbox - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weapons flickering in Dosbox

User is offline   Sanek 

So I launched the vintage version of Duke3D from GOG in Dosbox and noticed the annoying bug, which is the constant flickering of weapons whenever you move. I dunno why it happened - there's no change in any of the game's original files or anything else. With EDuke, everything is okay.

The only change that happened since the last time I launched the game this way is that I got a new monitor, which is 2x larger than my previous one. Also set bigger screen resolution.
Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

View PostSanek, on 27 October 2020 - 07:05 PM, said:

So I launched the vintage version of Duke3D from GOG in Dosbox and noticed the annoying bug, which is the constant flickering of weapons whenever you move. I dunno why it happened - there's no change in any of the game's original files or anything else. With EDuke, everything is okay.

The only change that happened since the last time I launched the game this way is that I got a new monitor, which is 2x larger than my previous one. Also set bigger screen resolution.
Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

With certain resolution modes (in setup.exe) it happens to me. Try changing the resolution and see if that helps you.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Rednukem is a DOS accurate port, there's really no reason to use DOSBox.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Both Rednukem (NBLOOD) and RedneckGDX (BUILDGDX) are accurate ports

User is online   Phredreeke 

OP is talking about Duke3D not RR.

This is a common issue when using dosbox to run build games in high resolutions such as 800x600 and similar. I found out that if you go into the dosbox conf file and change machine=svga_s3 (or whatever it is set as) to machine=vesa_nolfb the flickering goes away.

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostPutrid Pete, on 28 October 2020 - 05:32 AM, said:

This is a common issue when using dosbox to run build games in high resolutions such as 800x600 and similar. I found out that if you go into the dosbox conf file and change machine=svga_s3 (or whatever it is set as) to machine=vesa_nolfb the flickering goes away.

Hey it worked! Thanks!

Solely for the sake of reference, this can happen on real hardware too, though usually only if you go above the max resolution (800x600) in the SETUP program. DOS Build can really use almost any mode the VESA BIOS exposes regardless of what SETUP says, but on some cards if you push it too far, sometimes only 1024x768, on others you have to go as far as 1600x1200 (you'd better have a strong CPU, decent P3 minimum), the HUD starts flickering and other, similar artifacts occur.

Much as I like to bash DOSBox's inaccuracies, it's probably accurate in this regard.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 28 October 2020 - 09:19 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options