Duke4.net Forums: A Call to Action: An open and direct discussion about the possibility of starting a community driven project - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Call to Action: An open and direct discussion about the possibility of starting a community driven project  "Hear me out..."

User is offline   NNC 

I think the whole project depends on how many people want to be involved and how much time they have to build. If it's a community project, I would say people should go for shorter maps (7 to 12 minutes gameplay) and like in Ion Fury, the same mappers should build "zones", ie. the first 5-6 level of an episode or the last 5-6. I don't think a community stuff like this should work when every level is made by a different person. In this case even 8 people can make four episodes that consist of not too long levels.

Also I was thinking after reading oasiz's posts on the discord that if the betas don't come to us, maybe we should go to the betas. Oasiz said he would like to recreate the underwater episode of LameDuke, IMHO it's easily the most interesting part of the beta, N4-N5-N6 should work together in one classic style map. Even the later build (who has access) can be used for upgrades. Especially N6 was interesting as it was still there in the late november build, and it could be a great alternative Queen level. Also once TX said Rabid Transit was so different, had some memorable areas that were cut (also Hotel, Bank Roll, Flood Zone, LA Rumble). And we shouldn't forget L6, the iconic city level which begs for a facelift. I'm not sure if this is the way to go for this actual community project, but would be a great surprise if one episode only consists of stuff like these.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 21 October 2020 - 03:20 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

As it happens, I suggested an April release for the Enhanced Resource Pack as well :P

User is offline   Sanek 

@The Watchtower

I proposed the same idea about "making beta ourselves" a couple of posts ago, but express concern that Gearbox can take it down, like 3DRealms did with some Lameduke-themed TC years ago.
I'm all for it, I think it could be a very fun expierence.

As far the amount of mappers and maps goes, I think that we should always jump from the smallest number of people. Don't forget about a programmer and artist.

The size of the maps should be the way the original game was - like small-sized maps for the most part, with at least 2 maps (in the end of the episode) being bigger than usual.

P.S. Also we should decide early whether we make new maps from scratch (inspired by the Lameduke maps, however), make new maps but copy portions of the Lameduke's maps or just convert Lameduke's maps to Duke3D.

This post has been edited by Sanek: 21 October 2020 - 05:41 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

If it's a community project, I would say people should go for shorter maps (7 to 12 minutes gameplay) and like in Ion Fury, the same mappers should build "zones", ie. the first 5-6 level of an episode or the last 5-6. I don't think a community stuff like this should work when every level is made by a different person. In this case even 8 people can make four episodes that consist of not too long levels.

As it happens, I suggested an April release for the Enhanced Resource Pack as well

I agree with this and it is actually something that I was mulling over about yesterday while at work teaching the kiddies how to clean open wounds (don't worry nothing to bad happened for me being distracted). I originally thought that a deadline of June July for release would be perhaps more reasonable however I really don't know anything about map BUILD-ing so I would defer to more experience community members in that regard. I think having a little more time between the start of the project and release would be better, as we live in uncertain times.

Also we should decide early whether we make new maps from scratch (inspired by the Lameduke maps, however), make new maps but copy portions of the Lameduke's maps or just convert Lameduke's maps to Duke3D.

I'm all for whatever the community decides. Something relating to Lameduke would be awesome in my opinion!

User is offline   NNC 

Gearbox won't bother with freeware projects.... or if they do, Randy is a bigger asshole than I previously thought.

User is offline   Sanek 

So, if you really want to make a "Community Beta Project" (ha)...
I don't know whether we should do something right now, but I'd suggest doing this in a following order:

1) Start a new thread, recruiting people to take part in a project - I suppose we need at least 4 people who can make a 8-level episode; however, the more the merrier
2) Find a programmer with knowledge of Trooper Dan to write a good new code.
3) Find a good artist who can make new sprites for the game - sure, Lameduke have most of what we need, but we need a little bit more (enemies, projectiles) to make it look like the 1995 beta video.
4) Ask TerminX/oasiz/Hendricks266 whether it's possible for us to look at some never-seen beta materials - like the map's layout or sprite's sets that we can use for the reference so we can make it from scratch. I know that 3DRealms (or is it Gearbox) didn't like that they posted the stuff in a Beta thread so there won't be new pictures from betas, at least in public. But if it'll be shared in a private discussion it wouldn't hurt anybody, right? Perhaps we can make a private subforum for that. If any of the beta materials leaks outside, we'll know that it's one of us!

I can make a poll where we can decide what kind of maps we should make (new from scratch/trying to replicate maps from beta/convert Lameduke maps with some changes). Levels is not a problem so at least we can make a good pack of classic maps, but if we'll manage to bring a skilled artist and a programmer we can actually pull "Our Beta" off!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I@m in the middle of other projects, so I can't provide a lot of effort, but I don't mind making a few prop sprites.

There are the sprites from Duke Spookem, which look like nobody is going to bother with. I don't mind lending them. Most of them are of a horror theme, but the 'end boss' was a Lovecraftian mash up that might be of use. Deeper Thought got him moving in game.

Posted Image

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostSanek, on 21 October 2020 - 11:25 AM, said:

4) Ask TerminX/oasiz/Hendricks266 whether it's possible for us to look at some never-seen beta materials - like the map's layout or sprite's sets that we can use for the reference so we can make it from scratch. I know that 3DRealms (or is it Gearbox) didn't like that they posted the stuff in a Beta thread so there won't be new pictures from betas, at least in public. But if it'll be shared in a private discussion it wouldn't hurt anybody, right? Perhaps we can make a private subforum for that. If any of the beta materials leaks outside, we'll know that it's one of us!

Please don't bother TX or H266 too much about these as they'd share stuff in a heartbeat if it was that simple. Trust me.
There have been some bits in discord in the past though.
I recently posted quite a bit of parallels to discord between final game and LD, N6 was not part of this batch but it's been in pre-release shots.
A lot of the "blanks" do actually exist that is. Plus I've bugged TX about missing bits to the point where is probably fed up with me.

Big thing is that if a LD "remake" was to be made, I feel there would be game play changes also required as even simple things like movement speed would affect the map scale, etc..
Re-imagining is one alternate of course.

User is offline   wnderer 

You should call it 'Duke Nukem: I'm getting too old for this shit.'

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Retreading old ground is probably a bad idea. Make something new and fresh.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 21 October 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

I@m in the middle of other projects, so I can't provide a lot of effort, but I don't mind making a few prop sprites.

There are the sprites from Duke Spookem, which look like nobody is going to bother with. I don't mind lending them. Most of them are of a horror theme, but the 'end boss' was a Lovecraftian mash up that might be of use. Deeper Thought got him moving in game.

Posted Image

I'm more interested in the project files and your process. Any chance I could see one of them in PMs?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostTea Monster, on 21 October 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

Posted Image

I was always sad that Spookem didn't end up going anywhere. This looks really neat.

Sorry everyone! I haven't been able to be as active in the thread as I would like because I have to work over hours to pay some bills but i have been reading the posts.

View PostSanek, on 21 October 2020 - 11:25 AM, said:

So, if you really want to make a "Community Beta Project" (ha)...
I don't know whether we should do something right now...

Big thing is that if a LD "remake" was to be made, I feel there would be game play changes also required as even simple things like movement speed would affect the map scale, etc..
Re-imagining is one alternate of course.

Personally I would love a remake of Lameduke. However I'm afraid that a ) it may be an overly ambitious project and b ) whether it is the right moment to start a project such as that (end of the year, COVID etc) as well. I think an user made episode or a themed mapping competition (perhaps a winter one)? would be more reasonable. Maybe?

Again I can't stress this enough, I have no Build modding knowledge so I have no idea how much is a raesonable period of time for a mapper to map (Ayyyy ( ・ω・)☞ ). From my experience in the Skyrim Creation Kit you can hash out mediocre to ok small/medium sized dungeon in a month if you are wholly dedicated to it, two if you want to make it good (at least on my skill level and time frames (both which aren't that great honestly), however from what I have read in the forums and my very little experience with mapster32 mapping build levels seems to me more of an art form than something you make in automatic (if you get my meaning).

Please don't bother TX or H266 too much about these as they'd share stuff in a heartbeat if it was that simple. Trust me.

Pardon my snooping but just wink if yes: Are there legal troubles behind sharing stuff on Lameduke and other Beta content?

Those look amazing Tea Monster! Did you shared them on the Community stockpile? Anyways thanks for the offer. if anything comes out of this depending on what comes next I'll probably take your word.

Also Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

You can share anything from LameDuke because that was released by 3D Realms themselves.

User is offline   NNC 

There are like five noteworthy maps in Lameduke btw. L6 is the most prominent one then L1 for its nice space effects, M1 for the neat river/bridge section, the rooftop battle with the spaceship, and the trio of of undarwater base levels (N4-N6). These can be compiled into three to four levels imho: waterbases together, L6 with the rooftop, the river map (which is already part of the brilliant Traffic Jam), and maybe the space map with some facelift. The rest don't really deserve the efforts.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 21 October 2020 - 11:10 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Pretty much anything that hasn't been officially released or leaked/"leaked" already isn't supposed to be shared or distributed by anyone that possesses it. Doesn't matter if it's DNF, Duke 3D, Reloaded, or whatever you can think of.

jkas789, I'd recommend you give editing Duke3D a good shot. I know you're pressed for time right now, but Duke3D has always been relatively easy to mod for compared to other games. The basics are pretty easy to figure out with plenty of documentation, the quirks and advanced stuff make it all seem more intimidating than it really is because you don't need most of it to make something fun. I've found that the community can be harsh on people who want you to basically do shit for them, but if you are really showing that you want to learn and grow and contribute, most people will go above and beyond to help you figure things out.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 22 October 2020 - 01:15 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Remember that in the 90s you had a TON of people jump on board editing levels with the original build that was much much worse to work with and even without prior experience :)
Just have patience and understand & respect the limits and you won't have a tough time.
Creating playable and fun levels don't take an enormous amount of effort in the end, just don't let any advanced constructions and effects fool you too much at first as many tricks you can see are not really intuitive to build since they're the result of community polishing some gimmicks or tricks for years. You can easily knock out playable and fun (albeit not super detailed) maps in about a couple days worth of build time.

Fun with d3d mapping is that it can be about as complex as you really want to.

As for d3d beta stuff and whatnot, It's all gearbox now. Some stuff was teased / shared publicly when it was still under 3DR banner.
Their hands are basically tied and before someone goes for the "Let's bargain something with gbx" route, that road has already been taken.

I will. It's actually part of my plans I just need to get across this hard patch and i'll eventually get on it (unless a meteorite strikes the earth before the year ends).

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostJimmy, on 21 October 2020 - 03:23 PM, said:

Retreading old ground is probably a bad idea. Make something new and fresh.

We just had a long-ass discussion how awesome it would be to make a classic episode of Beta-inspired maps that pays a tribute to a classic episodes of Duke3D. All the talk here and there how "ultra-designed maps is not cool anymore" and how "3DR style is more appreciated right now".

Then all of a sudden everybody reversed and it doesn't look to me like anybody really wants to start a community-sized project.
Just a pack of maps (without new code, art, etc.) would be enough, but it's hard to gather folks even for a single map, let alone the whole episode.

So everybody want betas to see the light some day but nobody actually wants to make something inspired by betas, not to mention a simple map pack.
I'd like to work on something like it, but It looks like I'm the only person here who's actually pushing the idea. I didn't want it like this, so I digress...

The issue is what you asked of TX/H266. You can make a beta inspired episode, but it has to build on what is publicly available

User is offline   NNC 

There are several maps that use the commercial levels as a base, there are even freely available ones that didn't change much of them. I'm not sure if somehow Levelord's original Shop-n-Bag or the "bigger and better" Rabid Transit and other levels in remakes would result in more than just a slap on the wrist. Did Total Meltdown free PC release get cease and desist warning?

Atomic Edition maps != unreleased prototype maps

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostSanek, on 22 October 2020 - 07:43 AM, said:

We just had a long-ass discussion how awesome it would be to make a classic episode of Beta-inspired maps that pays a tribute to a classic episodes of Duke3D. All the talk here and there how "ultra-designed maps is not cool anymore" and how "3DR style is more appreciated right now".

Then all of a sudden everybody reversed and it doesn't look to me like anybody really wants to start a community-sized project.
Just a pack of maps (without new code, art, etc.) would be enough, but it's hard to gather folks even for a single map, let alone the whole episode.

So everybody want betas to see the light some day but nobody actually wants to make something inspired by betas, not to mention a simple map pack.
I'd like to work on something like it, but It looks like I'm the only person here who's actually pushing the idea. I didn't want it like this, so I digress...

What exists of the Duke Nukem community is fractured and scattered. I've been saying for years that we need to consolidate the community here and draw in all the mappers from other sites here. Problem is there's not much to draw anybody to do anything in this community. Things have stagnated.

Ion Fury really should be used to get more people over this way. It's the newest build game with direct support and tutorials available.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The reason I would dissuade a community project from going down the "muh betas" road is because while there are a lot of very interesting ideas in there, they got cut from the game for a reason. Furthermore, there's not a lot for people to really work with to make something fun and playable.

You don't need the betas or even inspiration from the betas to make a cool new episode that follows the design structure of the original game.

There have been other "muh beta" projects over the years and it doesn't really pan out. The creativity that exists in this community can create all kinds of cool new shit.

View PostOpenMaw, on 22 October 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

Ion Fury really should be used to get more people over this way. It's the newest build game with direct support and tutorials available.

Political events around Ion Fury threw a wrench into things. There are a few people who pretty much abandoned this community after that.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

As stated, I've got my own thing going on with Alien Armageddon for the 25th anniversary. But, if the community wants to make something, I suggest an episode of 25 maps. They could be short maps in the 3DR style to make it managable. It sounds like a lot but there is time if each mapper makes more than one.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostJimmy, on 22 October 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

The reason I would dissuade a community project from going down the "muh betas" road is because while there are a lot of very interesting ideas in there, they got cut from the game for a reason.
Weren't the majority of those maps cut for frame rate issues? I don't think that could be a problem now. Of course, most of them would need lot of changes to allow a decent gameplay.

View PostJimmy, on 22 October 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

The creativity that exists in this community can create all kinds of cool new shit.
I've already seen lot of cool shit, something different wouldn't hurt anyone. In fact, I'm thinking in a level based on maps L6, L7 and L8 joined together, the result has to be very fun and impressive, fighting the weaker aliens at street level, then using the jetpack to reach some of the rooftops and finally climbing the US Bank tower for the boss fight.

Come on, a project based on beta stuff is a nice and polite way of letting people know we're still interested. Much better method than continually asking "when" on the forums. :D

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostPerro Seco, on 22 October 2020 - 03:05 PM, said:

Weren't the majority of those maps cut for frame rate issues? I don't think that could be a problem now. Of course, most of them would need lot of changes to allow a decent gameplay.

All the best maps ended up in the game, some with minor changes for frame rate, yes. The levels that got cut got cut because they weren't that great. There's not a single piece of media released that suggests there are some hidden gems in there. It's pretty obvious that they were trying to figure out what kind of levels worked best.

I've already seen lot of cool shit, something different wouldn't hurt anyone.

I don't understand what this platitude is trying to convey.

In fact, I'm thinking in a level based on maps L6, L7 and L8 joined together, the result has to be very fun and impressive, fighting the weaker aliens at street level, then using the jetpack to reach some of the rooftops and finally climbing the US Bank tower for the boss fight.

Do it then.

Come on, a project based on beta stuff is a nice and polite way of letting people know we're still interested. Much better method than continually asking "when" on the forums. :D

The answer is "never." Unless some brave/stupid soul ends up saying "Fuck it." and leaks it all. Gearbox will never release this stuff. It's time to give up.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I would much rather the community did it's own thing - especially with GBX taking not so much a back seat, but hiding in the trunk.

Betas? No, nobody got time for that. Yeah, I'd like to see them, but this isn't about anything to do with any of that. They may get released, they may not. With a deadline of April, you can't hang on something that in all likelyhood, is just not going to happen. Detach and move on.

I would suggest doing a small episode, with some sort of plot. Aliens invade (location A), Duke has to go to location (Z) where there will be a big boss battle. A rough storyline is agreed to and people can make themed maps on locations between the two points. There should be some over-arching story that ties things together, but not so much that a mapper dropping out torpedoes the whole idea. That way, if someone dosen't deliver a map (or loads of people don't deliver maps), then as long as you concentrate on A and Z, you still have a progression. Work on some new tiles, props and a monster and/or boss.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 22 October 2020 - 03:46 PM

User is online   ck3D 

For a bit I've been thinking, in a thread like this one or a new similar one, people should just post maps and the project would be a feed. Essentially a CBP in its purest form. I've actually been considering starting that for a bit, but never got around to (plus I realistically couldn't manage the project as a whole at all). Like, someone makes a first simple map and posts it to get started, no words needed, whoever feels (genuinely) inspired picks up on the ending and starts the next, and so on - no drama, just emphasis on how if one announces their decision to work on the next map then they must remain in touch via this thread, I was thinking maybe a week time constraint could ensure 1/ we get reasonably-sized maps, no more no less and 2/ if someone drops out it's easy for the next inspired mapper to pick up from the former's end again and we only wasted one week. That way no concerns of availability either - whoever has the map maps or is out (till the next opportunity). But then again I'm also wary of the idea of a strict self-imposed deadline, I think it was Levelord who once said making just one professional level for the base game would still easily take him two months; restraint in scope and detail shouldn't come at the expense of quality, that's one of the naive mistakes we made with Metropolitan Mayhem. (Reminder: MM was supposed to be a one-week type of project, in the end it still took two years to wrap up)

Honestly I would have randomly made and posted a casual map myself by now if I wasn't so focused on my own things. So maybe right now, somebody else would just so happen to be better up to the task (I feel like crap saying that, but that's where I'm at). We all know what we want to play, see and make, we don't have to announce or plan stuff all that much as long as we agree on fundamentals, the rest will write itself at this point. We could improvise the plot exquisite corpse-style with every new entry in the map set, Duke's adventure could make up the story as long as there's a continuity; as (pseudo-)professional as we would like a community project to look, by mere definition it will never actually be so might as well enjoy not dealing with too many constraints, and make it look good, yes, but also appreciate the freedom of it. Looking up to the original game and the science of its level design is one thing we can agree on embracing and that doesn't mean we should try to repeat something that already exists. We can make good traditional levels without necessarily having to remake that exact same screenshot from this-or-that scan from this-or-that magazine as seen from this-and-that website this-or-that one time. Surely there are quite a few level themes and ideas for central locations that can be pulled off with the original Duke 3D .art yet were never really explored, too.

And if .art and .con hacks have to get in there, then people could just submit stuff openly as the project goes and grows. Or maybe just the existence of something like this would boost the 'resources for modders' thread.

It's just that this screams like the type of situation with general enthusiasm so chaotic, if we keep trying to push strict pitches and organize rigid structures as soon as now, in the end no one is ever going to listen to each other nor agree on specifics and the whole thread will have been all talk (now, good talk; but still just talk).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 22 October 2020 - 06:30 PM

I am not against making the betas playable. Heck my favorite part of ANY game is cut content and seeing what could have been. I would kill to be able to play early betas of Bloodborne. The whole reason I even began modding Skyrim in my late teens before entering Uni was to make mods that integrated lore from past games and restored cut content. The idea of at least helping in some tangential small way the creation of a Lameduke based episode makes me want to scourge youtube videos that show stuff about Lameduke AND play the Lameduke related stuff on Moddb. However. My problem with this idea relates to something that I had not that much courage to say (but tried to imply in my first post) but OpenMaw outrighted stated:

What exists of the Duke Nukem community is fractured and scattered. I've been saying for years that we need to consolidate the community here and draw in all the mappers from other sites here. Problem is there's not much to draw anybody to do anything in this community. Things have stagnated.

And yes he is right. The Duke Nukem community is certainly alive and kicking. Guys like Pavigna, Preto Murara (Play Downtown Journey folks. It is good!), Fernando Marquez, High Treason (If you are reading this gotta love that leisure Suit Larry pic), the guys involved with WGRealms/Alien Armageddon and many more are a proof of that. But guess what:

Posted Image

Reddit, different forums, facebook groups. The community is so scattered that nobody can fucking communicate (Heck is there even an interest to communicate?). And because there is no communication, ideas remain the same, level design conceptions remain the same and the community keeps churning the same things time after time after time stagnating along the way. This can't keep going. If things goes like this the Duke nukem franchise along with what little there is of Classic Shadow Warrior and yes, I'm even chucking Blood in with both of them as well will die out organically. Does a modder mods even matter if nobody apart of himself plays his mods?

And you are probably thinking Sanek "Well what the hell does that has to do with a Lameduke revival/TC/base mod?" Earlier on the thread you posted this:

Make TC with lots of Lameduke/Beta-like things in it, basically recreate what we saw in the 1995 beta video. It's a little bit more ambitious than just making a pack of maps, as it'll require a programmer and artist (like sebabdukeboss), but there's a 50/50 chance it could be worth it.

And this:

1) Start a new thread, recruiting people to take part in a project - I suppose we need at least 4 people who can make a 8-level episode; however, the more the merrier
2) Find a programmer with knowledge of Trooper Dan to write a good new code.
3) Find a good artist who can make new sprites for the game - sure, Lameduke have most of what we need, but we need a little bit more (enemies, projectiles) to make it look like the 1995 beta video.

Now I'm just a chuckle fuck new to this community with zero experience in modding but even I know that asking for a good coder and a good artist would be a tall order, mainly because most have already left and those that remain are already involved in bigger projects.

The solution IMO, to this and the current stagnation in the community is to attract new blood to the community.

The idea of this thread (at least in my head) was to make a project that is interesting and positive enough that not only would it hype this community up but also raise enough interest to start those creative juices flowing. After mulling for a bit I think the approach may have been all wrong. We don't need to only rouse the the old guard to action but also get new people with fresh ideas and actual disposable time to get working on them. And the way to do that I now believe is not by one big wow project but by actively reaching out to others.

So what do I suggest?:

1.- Reach out to other Build Communities. Yes Blood and SW too as well. Heck throw in RR, Nam even the nascent Ion Fury community. Invite them over to participate in step number 2 and hopefully stay.
2.-Start making mapping and modding competitions (spriting, weapons swapping, holiday/other themes, ingame sounds/music modding?) Offer a small prize (TBD) in the first couple and when there is enough engagement and clout perhaps star our own version of the caco awards.
3.- Start a forum (in Duke4 of course) solely dedicated to teaching Build engine modding in a newbie friendly manner. Try and consolidate all information on this forum forum in a friendly searchable way so that information is not buried around random threads. The eduke32 wiki and other guides around the net try to do this to an extent but we really need something more rookie friendly IMO
4.-We also need a thread or forum dedicated to teaching end users how to mod their games and troubleshoot issues. Again, information for an end user should never be buried around on random threads.
5.-And this is a maybe: Get mapster32 to the same level of user friendliness as Slade3 or UDB. Heck if we have to start a patreon dedicated to having someone working on this then I suggest we do.

And now you are all probably thinking: well fuck jkas, your username really checks out! Don't you think if this was as easy as you have just outlined we would have done before?

No I don't this this will be easy. At all.

The doom community has been doing this for years, and for all its faults of it being a sometimes toxic, sometimes clique community the level of engagement they have been able to maintain with themselves managed to keep the franchise alive long enough for it's resurgence. And let be frank here. Doom 2016 was good, however it wouldn't have had the same cultural impact in the gamer sphere if it were not for the already existing community it had. Game franchises get revived because of name recognition and an existing fan base that the publisher can cash in. Can you say that with the current activity that the DN fandom has a publisher would look at that and say "yeah there are a lot of people here that I can nickel and dime for their money!"?

If that doesn't motivate then consider this. Raze is a thing, and Graf if nothing else is one stubborn son of a bitch. If Graf gets his port to the level of mod/user friendliness that for all its faults GZdoom and its fork have, where do you think the new generation of modders will go to? It doesn't matter if eduke32 has 20 or so years of mods behind it. With the cross pollination that GZdoom source port games enjoy it will only be a matter of time before Raze based mods will surpass in both quantity and quality those of eduke32 stock. And eventually eduke32 will be relegated to a niche source port, instead of being the main choice for new Duke nukem 3D players.

If that does not light a fire in your pants I don't know what will. Do it for the community, do it for source port (tribal) pride, heck even do it for your own selfish reasons of getting internet points on a internet community.

But something must be done, or eventually instead of saying "Hail to the King baby" we will be mumbling "Long live the King"

I love this forum. I love the amount of free speech I can enjoy in here and the amount of different opinions and characters that clash because of it. So it really bothers me seeing Duke4 slowly stagnating, and this thread is my attempt at doing something.

But again, I'm just a fucking internet random with zero modding experience trying to suggest a probable solution to something that I think is wrong but may not even exist. For all I know I could be a raving idiot instead of the prophet seeing the writing on the wall.

Anyways those are my two cents for today. Sorry for the long ass rant post, I have not slept for more than 2 hours in the last 48 hours (I think 48, could be more) and that sometimes makes me cranky. I'm gonna go sleep know.

Cheers.

Edit: Before I go to sleep, from reddit:

Posted Image

The interest is there folks, we just have to reach out.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 22 October 2020 - 09:07 PM

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options