Duke4.net Forums: A Call to Action: An open and direct discussion about the possibility of starting a community driven project - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Call to Action: An open and direct discussion about the possibility of starting a community driven project  "Hear me out..."

User is offline   NNC 

Let me restart, it might work now:

I think if we want a comprehensive list of nominated maps, I recommend adding everything (including TCs and non-hot maps) from MSDN, DN-R, Arrovf site, scent-88, ModDB, and last but not least, NightFright's amazing compilation. In the compilation there are thematic and author based packs where levels should be extracted for nomination (as they are not real episodes). Not sure what to think of real episodes/TCs though, should we choose maps inside or the episode/TC itself? There are arguments for episodes (as most people don't know every single level inside) and for maps (as they are more comparable).

I also think there should be two restrictions. 1: No official levels (including Duke DC maps for example), as they are treated differently, 2: this might be controversial, but I wouldn't allow anyone to choose more than 1 map or two by an author, because it can lead to imbalance.

Some maps/packs I didn't see in the list:
Aqua series by Ben Roffelsen
None of Petr Kucera or Lukas Cerovsky (ie. Lost Highway episode, Hasit, Petrin, Reichskanzlei etc)
The work of Maarten Pinxten (ie. MP Rocket, MP Power, MP Rail, or even MP Crucial Conflict)
Jason Bredhauer's maps (ie. the 007 TC stuff like Underwater Base or Snow Base or the JJ Duke 3D episode)
The Final Confrontation episode
The Burnt episode
Fernando Marquez's episodes (none of them)

And for the record, some maps, I will definitely vote for:
Traffic Jam - the best understanding of classic design (including Boucher's early parts with the parking tower) and a great restoration of one famous LameDuke area
A Dream - strictly the first one, and it's nonhacked version. It was mind blowing and a huge statement from Zyvkov Eddy
Back to LA (penultimate map from LRWB) - the desolated rainy city with those water octabrains mixed with drones... wow moment
Red 3 - the granddaddy of horror maps, and up to now it's still the best one
Cosik - awesome Build engine tricks and very creative (but classic looking) level design... almost felt like a lost Levelord map
The dam level from Lost Highway - I'm really a fan of these types of unique places with big scale
And Hoover Dam from DNF2013 - as said above
the cycle ride from DNF2013's DLC - statement level from DavoX
and maybe others

Would love to see where this goes.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options