Duke4.net Forums: DEMON THRONE RELEASED. - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DEMON THRONE RELEASED.  "DOWNLOAD NOW!"

User is offline   supergoofy 

I prefer the Upscale packs by Phredreeke

Also when I went to blacksand from HFO and came back, the jump boots were gone.

Going to Blacksand removes jump boots, That is intentional.
If you need to go to blacksand make sure its the last thing you do before passing the level.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Bug: running out of ammo for the headshotter while using the secondary fire removes the crosshair for the headshotter entirely.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 October 2020 - 01:20 AM, said:

Bug: running out of ammo for the headshotter while using the secondary fire removes the crosshair for the headshotter entirely.

Thanks, I have just fixed that and it will be included in the next update.

When you fire your last bullet from a weapon, the game is hardcoded (it seems) to interrupt the rest of the firing sequence and immediately reset the weapon. If you are using ironsites on the headshotter (during which the crosshair is not displayed) the effect of the hardcoded interrupt is to prevent the gun from going back to its normal settings, which means the crosshair remains off. However, if you get ammo and shoot again, the crosshair will come back on.

In any case, I fixed it on my end.

What...the hell did I just see?

I finally did find that last secret. I went and killed the boss (after reloading the save), collected the gold, and went to Blacksand. Bought my upgrades and got the armor upgrade, came back, went through the shortcut, and just as I emerged, I saw a scary face? Like I'm pretty sure I've seen it somewhere before but wherever it's from, it was just there for half a second and then it disappeared.

What just happened?!

You are being watched by demon spirit spy's.

View PostWilliam Gee, on 22 October 2020 - 11:22 PM, said:

Going to Blacksand removes jump boots, That is intentional.
If you need to go to blacksand make sure its the last thing you do before passing the level.

But the problem is that you cannot get up to the exit without jump boots, so it's better to go there before you get the jump boots right now.

There needs to be a boot recharge pad accessible from the ground after you gain access to the jump boots in that level.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 23 October 2020 - 11:03 AM

Really enjoying DT2020 so far!

I just got caught in a SNAFU and I'm not sure if it's a bug; I just completed the first two episodes and did the Castle Argent run in reverse (Started on E2, went back to E1, completed Argent, went back to E2, entered Blacksand, completed everything) and now I'm stuck in E2. Temple Cress' elevator won't reset and jumping down the chasm with Invulnerability won't trigger teleportation. The first map after the intro map in E2 doesn't link back to the hub.

Am I missing something?

View PostDoom64hunter, on 23 October 2020 - 11:01 AM, said:

But the problem is that you cannot get up to the exit without jump boots, so it's better to go there before you get the jump boots right now.

There needs to be a boot recharge pad accessible from the ground after you gain access to the jump boots in that level.

There is a shortcut beside the exit to blacksand that opens while your in the jumpboot puzzle cave.

View PostWilliam Gee, on 23 October 2020 - 11:55 AM, said:

There is a shortcut beside the exit to blacksand that opens while your in the jumpboot puzzle cave.

I stand corrected.

View Postcomorbidity, on 23 October 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

Really enjoying DT2020 so far!

I just got caught in a SNAFU and I'm not sure if it's a bug; I just completed the first two episodes and did the Castle Argent run in reverse (Started on E2, went back to E1, completed Argent, went back to E2, entered Blacksand, completed everything) and now I'm stuck in E2. Temple Cress' elevator won't reset and jumping down the chasm with Invulnerability won't trigger teleportation. The first map after the intro map in E2 doesn't link back to the hub.

Am I missing something?

Apparently I did; I just figured out how to unlock the (redacted) door and bridge between E1 & E2 in Blacksand.

Did the pyramid elevator work for you? Ive never seen it not work, if not load a save game and try again.

This post has been edited by William Gee: 23 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostWilliam Gee, on 23 October 2020 - 03:37 PM, said:

Did the pyramid elevator work for you? Ive never seen it not work, if not load a save game and try again.

I already completed E2; I was trying to make it back to Nexus and couldn't find an appropriate path. Medieval Cress is disjointed (Intro level before it has the warp back to Nexus, there's no link back to it) so I tried Temple Cress and the elevator was completely down regardless of how many times I reloaded the level.

After more exploration of the E2 side of Blacksand I noticed the key feature to getting back to the E1 side of Blacksand.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

What do people think of the animations on the main menu? Was it a good idea? Should I add that to other projects too?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Version 1.01b has been uploaded to Mod DB:

Version 1.01b
-replaced the included .exe; this fixes a potential crash bug when saving games
-introduced version tracking
-fixed a bug where firing last round of headshooter shotgun while in ironsites would cause crosshair to disappear on that weapon
-Axon is now non-blocking so it should not be possible for him to prevent player movement now

The only significant change is to the .exe -- so unless you are experiencing the crash it's probably not worth updating since doing so will invalidate your saved games.

View PostDanukem, on 23 October 2020 - 04:32 PM, said:

What do people think of the animations on the main menu? Was it a good idea? Should I add that to other projects too?

Yeah go for it. I also liked the pre-intro map flyover thing too.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Well I’ve got it working on my MacBook, and am playing on classic due to a lack of dedicated graphics card.

Overall it’s working fairly well except for 2 issues:
1. There’s mouse acceleration and no way to disable it in the game menu. Any way to switch that off?
2. The damage direction indicator sprites in the hud look really ugly. Is there a way to disable them? Ideally they’d be replaced with something that uses additive blending, allowing for effectively a smooth transparency transition.

I think I just saw the face again, but for too short a time so maybe I imagined it?

Realtalk though, what is that? Is it a bug, an easter egg, a placeholder sprite that initialized slowly (or something to that effect)?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 October 2020 - 07:14 PM, said:

I think I just saw the face again, but for too short a time so maybe I imagined it?

Realtalk though, what is that? Is it a bug, an easter egg, a placeholder sprite that initialized slowly (or something to that effect)?

The art for the face is in an art file. But why it appears...we don't know. The tile number is not referred to by my code, it is not an actor, I never wanted to see the face in the game. A couple of the testers said they thought it had something to do with dead bodies, like maybe it was replacing them when you come back from the town. But I couldn't find anything in my code to explain that. I checked EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES too in case I was accidentally changing the displayed picnum on certain sprites to that tile, but I couldn't see any way for that to to happen.

The game is haunted. That's what I'm going with.

FWIW, I think I saw it in the same place as a rock, a very specific rock. I don't know if it appeared elsewhere for the testers but for me it showed up here:

Attached Image: duke0007.png

Right where that rock is. I don't know if it replaced the rock or just coincidentally showed up right in front of it, but that's the only place I've seen it thus far.

So out of curiosity, why is that in the art file anyway? In-joke or something?

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 October 2020 - 07:14 PM, said:

This one? :)

Posted Image

Well that asnwers my question.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM, said:

Well that asnwers my question.

Posted Image

well then.

I got got. well played

Alright so I have a guess as to what's happening with water edges and jumping. I've noticed that Duke now has variable swimming speed based on if he has scuba gear or not. This speed decrease also seems to affect him at the water's surface unless he has the gear. So I think what's happening is the speed decrease is being applied just above the water's surface (but not actually in it), thus killing your momentum and ending any jump across shores.

On a similar note, I've noticed another slight problem at the end of Evil Awakens, with the big Soul swarm. I might be wrong in assuming they inherited code from the sentry drones, but whether they have or not the result is the same: a few will always hit the ledge and then sink to the bottom of the lava pit where they can no longer be seen, and then their AI deactivates. This means that getting 100% gold is impossible since the souls become unkillable.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 25 October 2020 - 12:50 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That's probably exactly what happens -- they did indeed inherit some code from sentry drones.

In the earliest version of WGR2, new enemy art replaced vanilla art and those enemies inherited code from vanilla enemies. Some of that code still remains:

The rage heads have some sentry drone code (and are still DRONE internally)
The satyr gunners have some pigcop code (and are still PIGCOP internally)
The wraiths have some octabrain code
The sabreclaws have some enforcer code (and are still LIZMAN internally)
The phase demons have some assault trooper code (and are still LIZTROOP internally)

That last one may be surprising, but it only uses the jetpack state of the liztroop. The other enemies were all coded from scratch, except for the the Cyclord which uses some battlelord code, but that was more to be a homage than to save time.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 25 October 2020 - 01:14 AM

Nah, I can see it. I can see all of them in parts. Incidentally while I'm not surprised the gunners are based on the Pigs, I seem to remember them not going prone in 1.2, but they do now. They are a lot more dangerous now than they were then (and it feels like their damage was upped slightly, too). None of this is a complaint, of course.

Anyway, is there anything that could be done about the heads deactivating themselves? I remember you mentioned putting in some kind of seeker in the boss arena, and I wonder if something similar couldn't be done for just that encounter in particular?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes, the satyr/pigcops do go prone now and it's an especially low prone. As in my other mods I have them change actors when ducking which changes their hitbox and that is why they are more dangerous. I don't know why damage would be higher but the Eduke32 custom projectile system has undergone changes in recent years so that might be related.

Certain enemies are sleepless, but I don't want to do that with the heads because there are lots of them and the hardcoded sleep status is there for a reason -- it saves work for the CPU if an enemy hasn't had contact with the player for a while (not to mention it makes the enemy stop making annoying roaming sounds). The boss arena is a special case where it makes sense to teleport stragglers to a central location but that's not good for regular maps. I think maps where the rageheads can become unhittalbe are ones where you don't need to kill them.

User is offline   Polunka 

Well. I'm not quite sure if it's the right thread for this but I'd like to thank you guys for your hard work on this big boy. That was one hell of a ride.

Just completed it on the last difficulty level (It's A Good Day To Die). I gotta work on finding some remaining secrets on a few levels, tho; luckily, it's possible to just go back to those levels through Blacksand portals. Incredibly enjoyable and captivating, if I do say so myself, and a great improvement/extension to the previous version of WGR2, tho now it feels more like a full-fledged commercial standalone BUILD game (but maybe that's just me). To me, this TC now stands as one of the best global mods for Duke3D ever made.

Two things that got me the most:
Spoiler

I would also like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind (once again, I apologize if it's the wrong thread, it just wouldn't be retional to create a new one just to post this crap). Also, gotta clarify that I haven't downloaded any updates since release because I'd progressed a bit too far into the game by the time I noticed an update release post and didn't want any saves to break (which would force me to start over, presumably). I'm making this clarification just in case some things I'm gonna ask about have already changed/lost relevance in newer version.

The questions are under the spoiler (so as not to spoil shit for those who ain't completed the game).
Spoiler

Once again, big thanks to everyone participating in the project's creation :dukeaffirmative: I had a really good time playing through this mod (actually, will play it more soon, as aforementioned in the post).

This post has been edited by Polunka: 25 October 2020 - 04:41 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

EDIT: added spoiler tags

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options