Duke4.net Forums: DEMON THRONE RELEASED. - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DEMON THRONE RELEASED.  "DOWNLOAD NOW!"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Alright, I've been grinding this game for months, and the end is in sight. Memorized all of the secrets in every level including both hubs. Collected every item and upgrade. Gotten the level flows down to a science. And have developed effective strategies for every boss.

Every boss save one. The one I've not allowed myself to fight until everything else was done.

It may seem absurd to have taken this long to get there, but like I said I wanted to have the rest of the game memorized first. That way I can play on the higher difficulties without needing to stop and worry about supplies.

Plus, waiting this long to face down the monster whose face has been plastered throughout the entire game is going to make the showdown all the sweeter.

Next time I play, the Archonitron dies.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 25 March 2021 - 06:54 AM

Good luck, but with everything you have done I doubt you need any luck, it shouldn't be too hard.

Posted Image

Not gonna lie. I kinda wish that was real, or that it even could be real in the first place. Would be worth the price.

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

View PostWilliam Gee, on 31 March 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

Gauss gun from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? What the...

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It's ours now, we use it.

Sooooooo... What's the Twu Wuv switch do?

Spoiler

• Duke Plus Developer

It changes the king's final speech into the Twu Wuv version. That is a reference to the marriage scene from Princess Bride.

100% Secrets Tutorial added.

https://www.moddb.co...one-100-secrets

Here's a question I always wanted to ask but kept forgetting. Why was the SWEARFREQUENCY value dropped to 0 by default in DT?

View PostDanukem, on 06 July 2021 - 12:09 PM, said:

It changes the king's final speech into the Twu Wuv version. That is a reference to the marriage scene from Princess Bride.

Hm. It doesn't appear to work...

Neither reloading the game nor reaching that point on a new game.

• Duke Plus Developer

It used to work fine and was tested multiple times. I'm not working on DT again in the near future so tough luck I guess.

Try with, and without using the switch. Im guessing you have always hit the switch before hearing the speech, and maybe have never heard the real speech.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 13 July 2021 - 06:59 PM, said:

Here's a question I always wanted to ask but kept forgetting. Why was the SWEARFREQUENCY value dropped to 0 by default in DT?

I don't remember doing that. I'm guessing it was done for Hectic Realms and got left by accident during the overhaul. It's weird though because I remember both Duke and Jedrik using their jibbed lines when I played.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostWilliam Gee, on 26 July 2021 - 01:52 PM, said:

Try with, and without using the switch. Im guessing you have always hit the switch before hearing the speech, and maybe have never heard the real speech.

That's possible, but it seems unlikely that he would have run down to the lower deck and hit the button before the cutscene started on every playthrough.

The sounds are named Twu_Wuv.ogg and jedrik_victory.ogg, both located in WGR2/ogg/jedrik

If he listens to both it should be pretty obvious whether he has heard them or not.

View PostDanukem, on 26 July 2021 - 05:34 PM, said:

That's possible, but it seems unlikely that he would have run down to the lower deck and hit the button before the cutscene started on every playthrough.

oh my god I'm an idiot

for some reason I thought the doors were all locked during the credits sequence

sorry about that

View PostDanukem, on 26 July 2021 - 04:56 PM, said:

I don't remember doing that. I'm guessing it was done for Hectic Realms and got left by accident during the overhaul. It's weird though because I remember both Duke and Jedrik using their jibbed lines when I played.

They do but it's only for certain kills I think. That's at least how I remember it.

It's funny because I only noticed how much more quiet they were compared to when I went back to the original version of Knee-Deep regarding the missing monsters, and looking at the USER.con revealed the swearfrequency was set to 0.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 26 July 2021 - 05:49 PM

So the button works now?

Yep, and it never not worked. I was just an idiot. For some reason I was completely convinced the Twu Wuv switch saved a note to an external file like the Force powers in Duke Forces or the number of times you beat Attrition mode in Alien Armageddon. The thought of simply trying to use the switch before the speech started never crossed my mind.

i should take some gas-x because my brain has just been farting up a storm lately

For the next update, whenever that is, might I request that Darkhanna have that yellow palette at all times? With the default red, and everything else being red, it is quite difficult to pick her apart from the scenery by default, let alone when dashing and running all over the place (to say nothing of when you get damaged and the screen goes red and your view re-centers, or when there's various magic effects going off flashing the screen further).

It's almost impossible to keep track of her, especially since she's a very tiny target in comparison to everything else, and has a tendency to teleport when you finally have a bead on her, meaning you have to once again try and pick her out.

I find a similar issue with the Corpuloch (less him blending in with the scenery and more his spawns being the same color make it hard to track him when he teleports around), albeit with decidedly less fatal results.

(Full review still incoming)

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 07 August 2021 - 04:25 AM

And with my Jedrik-only playthrough on IAGDTD complete, I am officially done with Demon Throne, at least for the foreseeable future.

First off I'd like to congratulate everyone on the final release. Many years in the making, but this epic saga is finally complete. And was it worth the wait? Beyond the shadow of a doubt. I absolutely count this among the greats of classic FPS, and I can see myself coming back to play this in the future like I do those same titles. Level design is stellar, with grand architecture and even grander battles. Enemy design (functionality wise) works to the strengths of the game, even if I can still see the vanilla Duke enemies within them. The new Build gimmicks like upside down the ship flybys are also a treat to witness. And while I cannot fully appreciate the visuals due to being stuck with the classic renderer, I can still marvel the spritework.

I look forward to the DLC, if and when that ever comes out. Even if it doesn't though, I still fully intend to come back to Demon Throne down the road, and play it all again.

Now then. For the sake of readability, I am going to divide up the specifics points of my review into three lists contained in their own section. But I wanted to express my overall feelings and commendations for the success of this project first and foremost. I am also honored to have played a small part in seeing the Hall of Memories brought back into the game. I may have been but a simple and lowly beta tester, but nonetheless had I been told ten years ago that I would have had anything at all to do with the project, I would just about flip my lid.

Let's start with the good:
Spoiler

And this is a list of my smaller gripes with the game:
Spoiler

Lastly, here are my biggest critiques of things I really do think should change:
Spoiler

And with that, my review is concluded. Despite my complaints, I do still love this game, and indeed I call it a game and not a mod. Great work, to everyone involved. I look forward to whatever comes next.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 22 September 2021 - 11:18 AM

User is offline   Jmoc 

Sorry but I don't understand, is Demon Throne a direct sequel of Siege Breaker, or an updated version of it?

I can't find Utter Chaos in the episode selection. Playing it as Jedrik in hard mode, right after having unlocked him from castle Demonhorn, was arguably the best gaming moment of my life.
Just passing through, annihilating everything with a badass axe, paired with a badass soundtrack.

Been playing Duke since it was released back in '96. Played almost all the user maps, and episodes.
Currently playing user maps with DukePlus, maximum monster difficulty (2x monsters, 100% mutation probability, advanced AI).
Still, Siege Breaker is the pinnacle of the Build gameplay to me. Looking forward Demon Throne.

William Gee, I love your maps and overall style. Effectively mixing the best of all the 90s FPS.

View PostJmoc, on 18 January 2022 - 03:35 AM, said:

Sorry but I don't understand, is Demon Throne a direct sequel of Siege Breaker, or an updated version of it?

Update; includes new content, improved combat, a store, a few new weapons, new enemies, and an actual final episode. It's a complete game, now.

View PostJmoc, on 18 January 2022 - 03:35 AM, said:

I can't find Utter Chaos in the episode selection.

You'll find it in the Hall of Memories, listed below Demon Throne itself in the episode selection. The HoM also includes Castle Demonhorn and Knee-Deep.

If you don't see the Hall of Memories listed then it means you need to update to the latest version.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 18 January 2022 - 06:31 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

In a quasi-defense of the revenge projectile, I don't think you encounter it at all on normal difficulty (remember, difficulty 2 is considered normal, 3 and 4 are the hard difficulties). Probably what I'll do about it is make it move slower and allow the player to shoot it.

I agree about Darkhanna making that last fight really annoying. She's normal human size making her hard to keep track of in that big area, as you pointed out. If I were to revise that fight, I think what I would do is have her just float in a forcefield most of the time, and then sometimes the Archonitron would get stunned and she would come out and fight you one-on-one as he recovers. Then you don't have to deal with both of them at once.

WG can comment about Guardian, but I agree it is very long and tedious because there are so many enemies with so much health.

The minor gripes you listed could all be addressed pretty easily.

View PostDanukem, on 18 January 2022 - 12:25 PM, said:

In a quasi-defense of the revenge projectile, I don't think you encounter it at all on normal difficulty (remember, difficulty 2 is considered normal, 3 and 4 are the hard difficulties). Probably what I'll do about it is make it move slower and allow the player to shoot it.

I know it doesn't show up on the earlier skills, yeah. I just genuinely love a good difficult challenge so I like playing on the higher skills now that I've mastered it on normal (especially with IAGDTD's exclusive monster variants). But forced damage isn't really genuine difficulty.

Your proposed fix sounds like a good idea; after all I don't have a problem with it in concept. It's just the lack of reliable counterplay I didn't care for.

I agree about Darkhanna making that last fight really annoying. She's normal human size making her hard to keep track of in that big area, as you pointed out. If I were to revise that fight, I think what I would do is have her just float in a forcefield most of the time, and then sometimes the Archonitron would get stunned and she would come out and fight you one-on-one as he recovers. Then you don't have to deal with both of them at once.

That works too I suppose. I don't think fighting them both at the same time is the issue itself, rather just her poor visibility in that fight. Then again, maybe the palette idea isn't as feasible; I don't know the limitations of Build in that regard.

WG can comment about Guardian, but I agree it is very long and tedious because there are so many enemies with so much health.

Yeah, we talked about it and he even agrees. Said he was considering options to replace it in the next update.

As you Can well tell Guardian is the smallest level. It was somewhere I needed to place a tablet and I ended up using it also for supercyber, I was lazy on that level at the time with the size of the entire game so yeah my plan is to completely replace that level with something.....

But I haven't been mapping for some months not sure when I will get back to that.

Demon Throne is the complete finished version of Siege breaker. So its a update. SB had 3 or 4 levels, Demon Throne has 25 including SB WGR1 a new 3rd episode and a boss episode with a real ending.

William Gee, I love your maps and overall style. Effectively mixing the best of all the 90s FPS.

Thanks nice to hear it. :)

3.0 Trailer.

https://youtu.be/VevjVqsgBII

• Duke Plus Developer

Version 3.0 is now released!

https://www.moddb.co.../demonthrone-30

User is offline   Hank 

It’s summer time, so the comment is short:
Many Thanks for your hard work. Just to implement a character like Jedrik is very impressive. And rooms like that, in the very beginning (see attached image) just draws me right into (a) the game, to move onward.

Posted Image

3.0 has been incredible.

Since the last version, I noticed the addition of the circle of rams.

Where are the aztec mask and the crown that the person in the cathedral ask for?

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options