• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DEMON THRONE RELEASED.  "DOWNLOAD NOW!"

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 October 2020 - 05:36 AM, said:

Well this is a problem...

Attachment duke0001.png

There's literally no way out short of noclipping.

The lava passage should be survivable since you have full health and potion, try spam jumping and rush your way in and out.
If you mean the Axon just block your way well, not sure...maybe try make a save and try jump around to see if he move to close your back and let you pass through, solid NPCs sometimes very annoying...when push them in DT seems doing nothing...

Also the victory music cuts out at the beginning of the stats screen after Evil Awakens for some reason.

I noticed this too, when the beginning of level stat screen, I heard Duke's "ooh" sound when the camera just starts moving(it starts on a slope or something very close to the floor), then the music just stopped.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 19 October 2020 - 07:49 AM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostPlayer Lin, on 19 October 2020 - 07:49 AM, said:

If you mean the Axon just block your way well, not sure...maybe try make a save and try jump around to see if he move to close your back and let you pass through, solid NPCs sometimes very annoying...when push them in DT seems doing nothing...

I do mean Axon blocking the way, yeah. I tried to jump around and run all over the place but he would not move an inch. I had to reload the autosave.

A recent comment on ModDB got my attention, someone asked about using my HRP on WGR2 2020, Danukem responded that is impossible given too many things are diffent.

Well, this is only a partial truth.

In it's actual state, the pack have more stuff to rearrange than "to made again from scratch", a good amount of texture and object sprites that were in WGR2 (and WGR1) are still there unchanged, some have taken a different place in .art slots but a .def modification should do the trick. As for the new material, most it looks made with the same technique of DOOM/HERETIC/HEXEN/HEXENII/SHADOW WARRIOR/BLOOD/QUAKE/QUAKEII/UNREAL/??? combination of stuff (wall and floor texture for sure), I would do practically the same thing I did with previous version: Does not exist in hi-res? If the pieces exist, I'll create it.

I could simply discard the enemy models from it, as said they no more coherent with new sprites, which anyway are pretty and give a good 3D illusion. I cannot guarantee for the presence of 3D new weapons&ammo objects but that was kinda a problem even before.

So from my point of view a WRG2 HRP 2020 Edition is not excessively complicated to do.

If there is a concrete interest I can:

1.For now readapting just what is already present, putting together a first pack in quite short time and take care of the new content later.

2.Releasing it directly with much content as possible, taking more time. But at that point it would be worth also insert maphacks to adjust the facing direction of some objects.

Which formula is you favourite?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Well this is a problem...

Attachment duke0001.png

There's literally no way out short of noclipping.

Also the victory music cuts out at the beginning of the stats screen after Evil Awakens for some reason.

I should change Axon to be non-blocking and maybe just to stop following you altogether once you reach the point where he doesn't fight for you anymore.

Also, does that music cut out only in that one level ending? I did notice that last night watching someone else play, but none of us devs had ever experienced it before the release (naturally). EDIT: I tested it just now and it worked correctly for me. I wonder if there's a music playback issue only impacting some setups.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 19 October 2020 - 10:17 AM

View PostDanukem, on 19 October 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

Are you stuck because Axon is blocking you from entering the secret area?

Coming back out to be precise, but yes. He's basically a solid wall.

View PostDanukem, on 19 October 2020 - 10:10 AM, said:

Also, does that music cut out only in that one level ending? I did notice that last night watching someone else play, but none of us devs had ever experienced it before the release (naturally).

So far I've only found it in EA. Could be in later episodes but for right now can confirm episode 1 is clean otherwise.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 19 October 2020 - 08:40 AM, said:

Which formula is you favourite?

Neither. In case it wasn't obvious from my reply on Mod DB, I'm opposed to an outside party creating an HD pack at this time. There are actually several different reasons for this. One is it's already challenging enough to deal with regular bug reports without worrying about someone installing a possibly buggy HD pack. I do see some merit in having an HD pack eventually, but it should wait until after our DLC is released at least.

@Ninety-Six I'll make Axon non-blocking for future updates and maybe just have him stop following the player once you get past the point where he's actually helping you.

User is online   Mark 

View PostFantinaikos, on 19 October 2020 - 08:40 AM, said:

A recent comment on ModDB got my attention, someone asked about using my HRP on WGR2 2020, Danukem responded that is impossible given too many things are diffent

Do what I did. When making HRP content for SW and RR I started with textures for the first map only. That way you have something all in one place to show to other people for review and if its worth continuing or not. Its better than remaking textures that are scattered all over different maps. Its also less work in case it doesn't get accepted. ;)

This post has been edited by Mark: 19 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark, on 19 October 2020 - 11:11 AM, said:

Do what I did. When making HRP content for SW and RR I started with textures for the first map only. That way you have something all in one place to show to other people for review and if its worth continuing or not. Its better than remaking textures that are scattered all over different maps. Its also less work in case it doesn't get accepted. ;)

But I have zero time to do that. I'm already working on AA again, plus RL etc etc

And I think William is working on the DLC, which is a big project. We are happy with the way it looks as is.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is, people should just fuck off about an HD pack.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 19 October 2020 - 11:40 AM

User is online   Mark 

My post was meant to tell Fantinaikos that if he wants to make an HRP ( along with a def file ), go ahead. You don't have to do anything. If it causes issues when people try to use it simply tell them there is no official support for it from you. Personally, I think many of the textures would be too difficult to replace and I wouldn't attempt an HRP myself. And I love high res content. ;)

This post has been edited by Mark: 19 October 2020 - 01:52 PM

User is offline   DougQuaid 

After updating to 1.01 the game crashes with "couldn't find savegame label" in log after finishing Evil Awakens. The autosave at the beginning of Into The Earth is created, but loading it will also cause the same crash.

View PostDougQuaid, on 20 October 2020 - 03:20 AM, said:

After updating to 1.01 the game crashes with "couldn't find savegame label" in log after finishing Evil Awakens. The autosave at the beginning of Into The Earth is created, but loading it will also cause the same crash.

Is a save file created if this occurs? Can you upload the save files you currently have somewhere? That may be useful for figuring this bug out.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 20 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDougQuaid, on 20 October 2020 - 03:20 AM, said:

This is a known but mysterious EDuke32 bug which is now impacting everything that uses the platform. It happens when you save the game on some systems in some levels. In Demon Throne the game autosaves whenever you start a map. Doom64hunter is working on it, but it's a real bitch.

EDIT: The biggest problem is that no one who has the skills to fix the bug has the ability to reproduce it. It crashes for some people, but not others.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 20 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

Would logs of people who don't experience the crash help any?

User is offline   SonicB00M 

I can at least tell you that the save crash bug appears in every eDuke32 version after r9239 for me. r9218 works just fine. Are there any eDuke32 features introduced after r9218 that Demon Throne heavily relies on? Thanking about using r9218 for DT as I experienced the bug in another mod...

• Duke Plus Developer

For anyone experiencing the crash, try using this .exe instead:

https://dukeworld.du...9218-02d5b61ed/

It's an older version of EDuke32, so there might be other issues. But, it's the version before the saved game format was changed, and it is believed that the format change is leading to the crash. Be warned that you will have to start a new game regardless, since the saved games will be in a different format. So only use that old version if you are getting the crash.

the crashing save is at http://moodle.math.s...ug/save0068.esv
I tried running it through visual studio debugger and it crashes trying to access some nullptr, but I have no idea what that code is doing
Posted Image

• Duke Plus Developer

Nice work! Doom64hunter has been looking into it. He thinks it may be due to sprites using move commands that do not have a defined label (e.g. move 0). This never caused issues before over the years, so the newish save game format is suspected.

Can you make it show what the picnum is of the offending tile? I could check to see what move commands have been applied to that tile in my script. I happen to know that the crash happens when the game is being saved right after the map is loaded, so there would be hardly any sprites using move commands at that time.

Posted Image
I'm using debug build, so it should be accurate

View PostMicky C, on 19 October 2020 - 01:56 AM, said:

So will there be a version of this for MacOS?

It’s all I’ll have for several months and I can hardly wait to play it!

I have no problems running it on MacOS with https://dukeworld.du...intel_r9265.dmg
just download wgr2 and run it from terminal from
EDuke32.app/Contents/MacOS
./eduke32 -game_dir /Users/doug/Downloads/wgrealms2/WGR2 -gamegrp /Users/doug/Downloads/wgrealms2/WGR2.grp -l22

• Duke Plus Developer

Regarding DougQuaid's report above:

Posted Image

I found the sprite. Look at the coordinates and everything; they match the debug info.

It's a sector effector. LOTAG 13 is an explosive effect used to "blow up" walls. This particular area of the map starts closed, and it opens up (blows up) later on. So I'm guessing the SE is responsible for making the floor and ceiling touch at some point near map load time so that they can be "blown up" when triggered by the HITAG.

EDIT: Oh, and there's nothing that that my script is doing to SEs that seems relevant. They are not subjected to move commands and my code doesn't do anything significant with the hardcoded SE types like this one.

This post has been edited by Danukem: 20 October 2020 - 10:36 PM

interestingly, after reverting to version 1.00 it doesn't crash, although that map was not changed between updates at all

View PostDougQuaid, on 21 October 2020 - 01:52 AM, said:

interestingly, after reverting to version 1.00 it doesn't crash, although that map was not changed between updates at all

Yup, that kind of unpredictable behavior is what we've observed as well. I'm glad you were able to debug it though while the crash was still present, that will be a great help in finding the true cause for this problem.

EDIT:

View PostDougQuaid, on 20 October 2020 - 08:30 PM, said:

Posted Image
I'm using debug build, so it should be accurate

t_data[1] indicates that the MOVE of this sector effector is -1.

Note that the following code is also directly relevant to the crash, as this is where SFLAG_RESERVED is set for this particular sprite:
// translate anything in actor[] that holds an offset into compiled CON into a label index
static void sv_preactorsave(void)
{
    for (int i = 0; i < MAXSPRITES; i++)
    {
        actor_t &a = actor[i];

if ((unsigned)AC_MOVE_ID(a.t_data) + 3 < (unsigned)g_scriptSize && apScript[AC_MOVE_ID(a.t_data) + 3] == CON_MOVE)
        {
            int const index = sv_findlabelindex(AC_MOVE_ID(a.t_data), LABEL_MOVE | LABEL_DEFINE);
            Bassert(index != -1);
            AC_MOVE_ID(a.t_data) = index;
            a.flags |= SFLAG_RESERVED;
        }

And since SFLAG_RESERVED is set, this must have been true. Note that in my case, the debug build actually crashed at the assert, I wonder why this did not occur on your end.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 21 October 2020 - 03:56 AM

I can not for the life of me find the final secret in Hell Freezes Over.

Spoiler

Given some request on PM I received, I've decided to made a temporary patch writing a .def that turns the current Siege Breaker HRP pack into something at least workable with DemonThrone. As predicted many slots utilize same textures, but expect situtions of hi-res sprites next to crude bitmaps. 1.0 will be already a pack containing hi-res stuff as possible.
Attached File  Temporary def.zip (39.32K)
Number of downloads: 346
I notice that tiles036.art result damaged/badly packed. Is made on purpose for "protection"?

• Duke Plus Developer

Some of the items that models are included for in that pack were deliberately redesigned because we didn't like the way they looked. Just one example: the heart booster to replace the "doom health" cube. So by putting the old model back on top of the new art, it's shitting on the work that sebabdukeboss did to revamp the art. The people who requested this probably don't even understand and just assume that HRP pack means it is an upgrade.

So by putting the old model back on top of the new art, it's shitting on the work that sebabdukeboss did to revamp the art.

If you ever had the will to check, you would have find out that this .def DOES NOT OVERWRITE THE NEW SEBABDUKEBOSS WORKS. Every line (I guess to have removed all of them) that would have overwritten any of his art, from enemies to objects, is REMOVED so those will be just ingnored as TEMPORARY solution before being, as said, physically erased in the next version. Actually respect the author was even a personal precondition.

I thought it was pretty evident, I have to check the art files first to see what to do you know?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 22 October 2020 - 02:16 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 22 October 2020 - 02:10 AM, said:

If you ever had the will to check, you would have find out that this .def DOES NOT OVERWRITE THE NEW SEBABDUKEBOSS WORKS. Every line (I guess to have removed all of them) that would have overwritten any of his art, from enemies to objects, is REMOVED so those will be just ingnored as TEMPORARY solution before being, as said, physically erased in the next version. Actually respect the author was even a personal precondition.

I thought it was pretty evident, I have to check the art files first to see what to do you know?

//Pod (105/108)
model "HR/Models/Pod.md3" {
   zadd -48 scale 1.6 shade 0 flags 1
   skin { pal 0 file "HR/Models/BigLamp.png" }
   frame { name "0" tile0 105 tile1 108 }
}

//Doom Health (101/103)
model "HR/Models/BossCube.md3" {
   zadd 16
   scale 3.3 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "HR/Models/BossCube.png" }
   anim { frame0 "Frame 1" frame1 "Frame 11" fps 14 flags 0 } 
   frame { name "Frame 1" tile0 101 tile1 103 smoothduration 0.2 } 
}

Two examples. How is that not overwriting his new art? The new power pod is covered by the old model we don't like. As for the bosscube...I will grant you that this def would fail to actually replace the new art, but only because that actor now uses an action offset and the real displayed tiles for it are in tiles020.art The def is clearly trying to use the cube where it doesn't belong. There are probably other examples but I feel like I have already wasted enough time on this. I don't know why you would be surprised at my negative reaction when I very explicitly said I was against this earlier in the thread and then you want ahead and posted it in our thread anyway.

Missing to delete the Pod lines is a my mistake, but the Death Cube lines wasn't intended to somehow replace the new sprites in TILES020.ART, they are still there just to cover the remained Death Cube in slots 101,102,103 in tiles000.art that previously was from 100 to 103 (maybe not even appears ingame not even as an icon anymore and I'll get rid of them).

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm not hating on HD packs, and we might even produce our own official one at some point. But right now I would consider what is available to be a downgrade from the regular experience and I doubt the people asking to use it understand that.

Wow. Even with noclipping and showmap on, I still cannot find this last secret in HFO. Has anyone else managed to find it? I am thoroughly stumped.

Also when I went to blacksand from HFO and came back, the jump boots were gone.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options