Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Cosmetic Duke version 1.8 is up! - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[RELEASE] Cosmetic Duke version 1.8 is up!

The aim of this mod is to enhance DN3D visuals, audio quality, add QoL changes and fix some bugs. Mods like Duke Plus or Nuclear Showdown, while great, interfere with mentioned balance in a significant way and HRP style packs (adding high resolution textures etc. to old games) never resonated with me - I always preferred the graphics quality closer to the original. This is the reason I made Cosmetic Duke.

Primary resources / inspirations:
HQ Sound Effects by Per Kristian Risvik
Duke Nukem 3D PSX Sound Effects by Marphy Black
Nuclear Showdown by Jblade35
Widescreen status bar by Fox
3D classic skyboxes by Fox
Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition
Duke Nukem 3D World Tour

Primary helpers:
Trooper Dan
Jblade35
Mblackwell
Hendricks266

Major change!
Changed how the entire system of files works: there is a 1_CosmDuke.zip file which is the base Cosmetic Duke mod. All of the other mods become compatible by putting 1_CosmDuke.zip into the Autoload folder along with an appropriate 2_xxx_patch.zip file. With this method the files are much smaller and it's easier for me change / update stuff within them. eDuke32 will spill out warnings about duplicates when launching, but this will not affect the game.

Version 1.8
Spoiler

Links:

Cosmetic Duke:
http://www.mediafire...smDuke.zip/file

Cosmetic Duke Caribbean:
http://www.mediafire..._patch.zip/file

Cosmetic Duke Nuclear Winter:

Duke it Out in DC:

World Tour:

BDP The Gate, Secrets of the Acropolis, 25th Century Duke, Murder: the EDF Conspiracy and Pray Your Prayers compatible with Cosmetic Duke:

BDP: The Gate:

Secrets of the Acropolis

25th Century Duke

Murder: The EDF Conspiracy

Pray Your Prayers

Legacy Quality Duke Talk:
(normal version) http://www.mediafire..._patch.zip/file
(louder version) http://www.mediafire..._patch.zip/file

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Have fun!

User is offline   SonicB00M 

Could you explain how to use it with World Tour? I have put both 1_CosmDuke.zip and 2_CosmDuke_WT_patch.zip into the autoload folder and enabled 'autoload' in eDuke, but the mod doesn't load. Just the regular eDuke32 with the stopgap. I am using r9257 of eDuke.

The instructions are in a readme txt in the World Tour zip file.

Installation:
1. Remove the following files from your World Tour folder:

GAME.CON
DEFS.CON
EPISODE5BOSS.CON

and also the following files, assuming you installed the package required to enable World Tour on eDuke32:

E32WT.DEF
E32WT_CODE.CON

Otherwise Cosmetic Duke will not work properly.

2. Put both 1_CosmDuke.zip and 2_CosmDuke_WT_patch.zip into the Autoload folder at the same time

Done

I apologize, I haven't updated the readmes -_-. Do not delete EPISODE5BOSS.CON! Everything else is fine in the above instructions.

It doesn't seem to work. Did a fresh install of World Tour, put eDuke into the same folder, applied the stopgag, put both of your files into autoload and deleted the four files from the root folder. eDuke now hangs on that screen.

EDIT: Nevermind! I just rebooted my system and now it's working. Really enjoying your mod!!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: CosmDuke.jpg

This post has been edited by SonicB00M: 15 October 2020 - 01:30 PM

Hm, seems I cannot save in Episode 2 and 3 (first levels at least). eDuke crashes, here is the log entry:

E3L1: RAW MEAT
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =197
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =197
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =195
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =195
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =193
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =193
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =189
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =189
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =184
CONLOGVAR: L=11855 y (Global) =184
DEVASTATOR WEAPON
CHAINGUN CANNON!
Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg
couldn't find savegame label

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Interesting! I saw that "couldn't find savegame label" crash for the first time myself yesterday in my own WGR Demon Throne release. It really hurt, too! We still don't know what caused it but I found a line of code to change that made the crash stop, for now.

View PostSonicB00M, on 15 October 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

Hm, seems I cannot save in Episode 2 and 3 (first levels at least). eDuke crashes, here is the log entry:

Which eduke32 revision was this? Cosmetic Duke does not include a binary.

Edit: by the way, comments should not be put on the same line as `definegamefuncname` as the game will confuse it as part of the new name.
definegamefuncname 36 Reload // rename it, so it'll appear as Reload in the control settings menu 

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 15 October 2020 - 11:45 PM

r9257

View PostSonicB00M, on 15 October 2020 - 11:07 PM, said:

r9257

Can you use the debug build of the most recent revision on synthesis and post the crashlog that should appear in the folder? That would be a great help because this is likely an engine problem, and I personally can't reproduce it.

View PostSonicB00M, on 15 October 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

EDIT: Nevermind! I just rebooted my system and now it's working. Really enjoying your mod!!

Funny thing is, I had the same problem yesterday. I thought I screwed up something with my mod, but nope. A fresh WT reinstall worked.
I'm glad you enjoy it!

View PostSonicB00M, on 15 October 2020 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostDoom64hunter, on 15 October 2020 - 11:03 PM, said:

Which eduke32 revision was this? Cosmetic Duke does not include a binary.

I had issues with saving/loading on the newest eDuke32 versions as well. Forgot to mention it in the eDuke32 bug thread. I'm using an older version, r8942 from May 2020, and it works without issues.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 15 October 2020 - 11:03 PM, said:

Edit: by the way, comments should not be put on the same line as `definegamefuncname` as the game will confuse it as part of the new name.
definegamefuncname 36 Reload // rename it, so it'll appear as Reload in the control settings menu 

Noted, though I never experienced any problems with it.

This post has been edited by December Man: 16 October 2020 - 01:57 AM

View PostDoom64hunter, on 16 October 2020 - 12:09 AM, said:

Can you use the debug build of the most recent revision on synthesis and post the crashlog that should appear in the folder? That would be a great help because this is likely an engine problem, and I personally can't reproduce it.

I've attached the log file. I also got this runtime error when saving.

r8942 works fine, thanks December Man! Although this version suffers from some frame pacing issues, it is still highly enjoyable!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: error.jpg

Attached File(s)

View PostDecember Man, on 16 October 2020 - 01:53 AM, said:

Noted, though I never experienced any problems with it.

Is this related to the pistol? Because i've noticed that the pistol reload animation kick in everytime that a new level start (or when you switch to it one time during the new level).

BTW, nice improvments!

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 17 October 2020 - 12:14 PM

View PostThe Battlelord, on 17 October 2020 - 12:14 PM, said:

Is this related to the pistol? Because i've noticed that the pistol reload animation kick in everytime that a new level start (or when you switch to it one time during the new level).

BTW, nice improvments!

Yes, it's related to the pistol and the reload animation is intended to be that way, as it was a way to have Duke reload the pistol each time a new level started: this behavior was in the original code if you had the pistol selected at the start. With the reload-at-any-time mechanic this stopped working, so this workaround had to be used.

This post has been edited by December Man: 17 October 2020 - 12:50 PM

The addon I was searching for! now the skyboxes work as intended even with the vacation episode. Thank you so much!

I love all the improvements except the audio ones.. I tried editing manually the con files but I really don't know where to start
Could you upload a version without the HQ audio?

This mod would be a lot better if it had compatibility with the Duke Hard episode.

User is offline   Echelon5 

Any way to play this with Duke Hard?

User is offline   SolivaN 

this only work with EDuke32?

i've intented this for BuildGDX but nothing happens.

and with Raze show this error:
Compiling: 'game.con'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 23) Keyword expected, got 'riteshadow'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 23) Keyword expected, got 'NDGUNSHELL'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 24) Keyword expected, got 'riteshadow'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 24) Keyword expected, got 'OTSHELL'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 25) Keyword expected, got 'riteshadow'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 25) Keyword expected, got 'FLESHELL'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 26) Keyword expected, got 'riteshadow'.
  * ERROR!(cosmdefs.con, line 26) Keyword expected, got 'STOLMAG'.

This post has been edited by SolivaN: 06 August 2021 - 06:01 PM

User is online   Phredreeke 

Anything with custom CON code will most likely not work on any port other than EDuke32

View PostPhredreeke, on 06 August 2021 - 06:28 PM, said:

Anything with custom CON code will most likely not work on any port other than EDuke32

is very sad to see that :unsure:

This post has been edited by SolivaN: 08 August 2021 - 09:18 AM

If you want something in a similar niche for Raze you can try my ERP, it shares some of Cosmetic's features (skyboxes, widescreen weapon sprites, Marphy's PSX sounds) while adding the voxel pack and upscaled graphics

View PostPhredreeke, on 08 August 2021 - 10:10 AM, said:

If you want something in a similar niche for Raze you can try my ERP, it shares some of Cosmetic's features (skyboxes, widescreen weapon sprites, Marphy's PSX sounds) while adding the voxel pack and upscaled graphics

Because you have mentioned that the only solution is to use EDuke32, I've been working around with all the mods that I want with this port.
I'll test Raze with your MOD too. But now I've another problem. :rolleyes:

Here in this video:

I've found two errors between 2 mods:
  • Enhanced Resource Pack
  • Cosmetic Duke Nukem

• The head shots showup a weird texture, from the last stage of the first episode if I rembember right.
  • The second error is with the HUD shotgun, it disappear with no sense.
  • I've figure out that the file duke3d.def have some relation between Cosmetic Duke and Enhanced Resource Pack.

I hope this can be resolved, with the combination of this two MODs DN3D looks and feels impressive.

Duke Enhanced Resource Pack Team:
https://www.moddb.co...k-first-release

Cosmetic Duke version 1.8:
https://forums.duke4...rsion-18-is-up/
http://www.mediafire...smDuke.zip/file

This post has been edited by SolivaN: 08 August 2021 - 07:29 PM

Duke3D.def exist in the root folder of the ERP to ensure it has priority over any other copy of the file. If you rename it as you do in the video it will instead load whatever other copy of the file it finds.

The errors in the video is because you're loading Cosmetic Duke CON files with the ERP's def files. The CON files references tiles which are not defined by the ERP.

In general, mixing mods in EDuke32 is not supported, this is partly why the ERP exists in the first place. You could attempt renaming the Duke3D.def in Cosmetic Duke to something else and then include that in the ERP Duke3D.def. But any such modifications would not be supported by me or December man.

View PostPhredreeke, on 09 August 2021 - 12:32 AM, said:

Duke3D.def exist in the root folder of the ERP to ensure it has priority over any other copy of the file. If you rename it as you do in the video it will instead load whatever other copy of the file it finds.

The errors in the video is because you're loading Cosmetic Duke CON files with the ERP's def files. The CON files references tiles which are not defined by the ERP.

In general, mixing mods in EDuke32 is not supported, this is partly why the ERP exists in the first place. You could attempt renaming the Duke3D.def in Cosmetic Duke to something else and then include that in the ERP Duke3D.def. But any such modifications would not be supported by me or December man.

:o :( ok

:( :( :( :(

User is offline   Datura 

Hey there!

First of all, let me thank you for your work! Your mod has been a constant companion ever since version 1.2! ;)

I've just reinstalled eduke32 today, the latest 64 bits release at this time (eduke32_win64_20211112-9793-d90812371.7z) and I of course downloaded your mod right after (v1.8).

I am however encountering a weird bug where, when I put 1_CosmDuke.zip in the autoload folder, I'm getting absolutely no Duke Talk at all. :(

No one-liners, no reactions, no grunts or pain sounds,... nothing! Same result when I try to add the 3_CosmDuke__LegacyDT_patch to it.

I'm getting Duke Talk when using no mods, or other mods like the PSX sound pack v1.11, the widefix v1.42 and SC-55 music pack v4.02...

I tried changing the sampling rate to every possible value, same with the number of voices, tried with the polymer and polymost renderers...nothing seems to help.

I'm using the official duke3d.grp from the Megaton Edition if that matters. I've also attached a copy of my eduke32.log. There are lots of "sound xxx already defined" lines, which I'm not getting when using the aforementioned three mods.

Thanks a lot for any help you might be able to offer!

[EDIT]: It is worth noting that the other content, like new graphics, pistol ammo count & reload, headshots, "secret found" sound, etc. are working just fine :huh:

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Datura: 13 November 2021 - 02:26 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDatura, on 13 November 2021 - 02:18 PM, said:

I am however encountering a weird bug where, when I put 1_CosmDuke.zip in the autoload folder, I'm getting absolutely no Duke Talk at all. :(
Issue confirmed. All of the log warnings are to be expected from the used set of CON files, so your installation/configuration should be OK. An older eduke32.exe (r9269) I've tried has DukeTalk, so there is either a bug/breaking change in recent executables, or they reveal a shortcoming of Cosmetic Duke's CON code.

[EDIT:] Problems starts at EDuke32 r9772-6812b7447 : "Duke3d: sound fixes".

This post has been edited by LeoD: 14 November 2021 - 12:44 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Seeing a lot of this in the log:

Line 803, getflorzofslope: invalid sector -1

Note that in recent versions of Eduke32, errors will cause code execution to abort from whatever actor, subroutine or event it is currently in, whereas in older versions, the code would just keep on executing unless the error was fatal.

This may be relevant because if those invalid sector errors are in the player actor, that could stop the Duke talk from happening since it would abort the player code at the error point. Personally I have been opposed to this change because it can break mods over small errors (for example, a simple mistake like referencing an invalid quote number), and if the mod author isn't around to fix it the mod is essentially trashed in all versions going forward.

I don't think that's the real cause here, however, since as LeoD pointed out the breakage starts very recently.

User is offline   Datura 

View PostLeoD, on 14 November 2021 - 12:16 AM, said:

Issue confirmed. All of the log warnings are to be expected from the used set of CON files, so your installation/configuration should be OK. An older eduke32.exe (r9269) I've tried has DukeTalk, so there is either a bug/breaking change in recent executables, or they reveal a shortcoming of Cosmetic Duke's CON code.

[EDIT:] Problems starts at EDuke32 r9772-6812b7447 : "Duke3d: sound fixes".

Thank you for your reply and the testing you've done ;)

I can indeed confirm that Duke Talk works just fine up to rev 9768 and doesn't anymore in subsequent releases.

And I'm still getting a ton of "Line 803, getflorzofslope: invalid sector -1" errors in my log btw, so it definitely isn't the cause of the breakage.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDanukem, on 14 November 2021 - 10:42 AM, said:

Note that in recent versions of Eduke32, errors will cause code execution to abort from whatever actor, subroutine or event it is currently in, whereas in older versions, the code would just keep on executing unless the error was fatal.

This may be relevant because if those invalid sector errors are in the player actor, that could stop the Duke talk from happening since it would abort the player code at the error point. Personally I have been opposed to this change because it can break mods over small errors (for example, a simple mistake like referencing an invalid quote number), and if the mod author isn't around to fix it the mod is essentially trashed in all versions going forward.

Even the original game has errors in programming.

I analyzed the problem here a while ago: https://voidpoint.io...32/-/issues/215

I managed to create a minimal zip consisting of 2 sound files to reproduce the issue. Unfortunately, I don't really understand what's going wrong here.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options