Duke4.net Forums: 25th anniversary soon.. what can we expect? - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

25th anniversary soon.. what can we expect?

User is offline   duke3d.exe 

So on January 29th of 2021 it will be 25th years since Duke3D was released. The question is: What can we expect?

20th anniversary was a cool idea: Get the original mappers to make a new episode. It had its moments, but fell short with the lame new enemy and final boss. Compared to Atomic, it didn't feel like a solid new episode. Some parts of the maps felt empty/rushed.

I would love a new episode that feels complete, with a proper new enemy and boss (again, like Atomic) a new weapon, and no rushed parts for the maps. No need for a new game or anything, new engines suck anyway.

This post has been edited by duke3d.exe: 26 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Probably nothing. After they dropped the ball on WT, they naturally assumed of course that it was everyone else not liking the brand, as opposed to the game being a half-assed modern port on the heels of an unpopular game and another unfinished one.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd only expect to be disappointed.

The question is how major will that disappointment be?

User is offline   duke3d.exe 

View PostNinety-Six, on 26 September 2020 - 09:43 AM, said:

Probably nothing. After they dropped the ball on WT, they naturally assumed of course that it was everyone else not liking the brand, as opposed to the game being a half-assed modern port on the heels of an unpopular game and another unfinished one.

I don't think people would have complained that much if the episode actually felt solid. While the port is kinda lame compared to proper eDuke32, if at least the episode was solid and we had proper multiplayer, it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

I reckon they could keep releasing a new episode every X years and remain profitable off of nostalgic people and new kids that become interested in retro FPS basically throught playing Brutal Doom.

I'm worried instead...

Dreaming:

"Ok guys, for this 25th anniversary it would be good to add a freaking hitscan bullets and some other stuff like eduke32 (because let's face it, they do things better without getting paid), remove the new Duke's voice and put in back the old badass one and let's , at least, put a secondary fire to the 5th Boss.

Next we can proceed at opening a proper Multiplayer server with a cool server browser list, so that players can even host and/or choose where to play on dedicated servers to customize and mod their way, exactly like the old good times.

Later we can focus on a new episode, maybe with a pair of new weapons and monsters, so that Duke can fight his way to the center of Earth, exactly where aliens are aiming for, trying to take control, once again, on the human race.
But the new Twins Bosses are waiting for him...
Final price? let's say 10$ for now, obviously the users that own World Tour already will get free access

After this, we can stop with copyright shit, then ship for cheap Duke rights to the ones who really showed real passion for this game so far"

Real life, Randy PoV:

"Oh Today is another fantastic day because am mad again, so just for a change, why don't let's destroy Duke even more? Ok so, let's make a shitty-laggy-unbalanced Multiplayer without any form of rules .
Oh a new episode you say? Let's do 3 of them! Take that weird tool, what was its name?...mmm... Oh yeah that map randomizer, let's spam a bit of times with it and here we go, 3 nice new episodes!

Final price? Since it is 25th anniversary let's double it and let's say 50$, man we worked hard this time after all."

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 26 September 2020 - 11:38 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

I hope they will do something, since it's not just the 25th anniversary of Duke 3D, but also the 30th anniversary of the series and character itself, and also the 10th anniversary of DNF (being the so far last game in the series).

Jack shit, that's what.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

They may very well anounce something soon enough, but as Randy Pitchford stated lately (after the Gearbox broadcast of PAX online) : https://twitter.com/...886758979633152
It was in response to someone asking about Brothers in Arms, but its safe to assume that it works for the Duke as well.

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 26 September 2020 - 12:31 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

If the community isn't coming up with anything, it's gonna be a day like any other. Sadly.

The community is about the only hope at this point.

Unfortunately that, too, is just a day like any other.

I expect nothing from Gearbox, and they will probably still find a way to disappoint.

User is offline   Lunick 

If anything is going to happen, I doubt it will happen on the anniversary itself, it'd probably be during the year sometime and even then I expect nothing from Gearbox

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Expect to feel let down.

User is online   Player Lin 

Being a Duke fan, always be suffered.

:)

User is offline   jkas789 

I expect nada.

User is offline   Master O 

View Postduke3d.exe, on 26 September 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

So on January 29th of 2021 it will be 25th years since Duke3D was released. The question is: What can we expect?

20th anniversary was a cool idea: Get the original mappers to make a new episode. It had its moments, but fell short with the lame new enemy and final boss. Compared to Atomic, it didn't feel like a solid new episode. Some parts of the maps felt empty/rushed.

I would love a new episode that feels complete, with a proper new enemy and boss (again, like Atomic) a new weapon, and no rushed parts for the maps. No need for a new game or anything, new engines suck anyway.

3D Realms vs Capcom (joking)

Duke Nukem Forever 2 (joking)

Knowing "Sandy Bitchford," I don't expect anything good.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Randy pulls 20th from steam & reissues it with even worse engine changes, thus burying the expansions even further from the light of day.
But there will be flowery lies about them to encourage you to once again buy the duke3d.grp file

JSJ markets a sound file collection with "lost" Duke3D lines which turns out to be cutting room floor retakes from 20th. Bans everyone off his twitter that complains.

JSJ went Joe Biden maybe that was to much?.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Jack and Shit and Jack left town.

User is offline   jkas789 

To be fair, there are things to be excited from the community. For one there is Alien Armageddon, which is afaik still in developement. The Duke Nukem Voxel Project has gained a lot of voxels for Duke Caribbean thanks to Mxrtxn. Also there was the recent thread with talks of starting a "Visual/Sound Improvement" mod in the vein of the HRP however this one will only involve upscaling textures, voxel models and high quality music. Last but not least Vintage Pingus from the duke4 discord has started working on a Duke Nukem Advance total conversion mod for Doom.

And that is only the projects I know of. So from the side of the community a lot of exciting stuff is being worked on!

IMO it's better to fix our attention on tangible things that the community can work towards to than hoping Randy and Gearbox suddenly have a change of heart and decide the Duke Nukem is not a dead ip. While aslo praying for them not to fuck it up again.

View Postjkas789, on 27 September 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

Vintage Pingus from the duke4 discord has started working on a Duke Nukem Advance total conversion mod for Doom.

That would definitely be worth celebrating if it manages to reach completion.

Do you know what is the most recurring demand/expectation when it comes to Duke Nukem (and not only on Gearbox forum and social networks fromwhat I could gather) ?

User is offline   Outtagum 

A good game?

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Duke Nukem 1 Remaster
https://i.imgur.com/6E5SE7C.mp4

Looks like the gif is too heavy so it converts to mp4 :\

View PostOuttagum, on 27 September 2020 - 04:11 PM, said:

A good game?

Yes of course, but what else ?

User is offline   vini1264 

Maybe for the 30th anniversary they will just release a collection containing all the games that were removed from Steam, I'm not really sure about it, but it can be possible.

This post has been edited by vini1264: 28 September 2020 - 08:12 AM

User is offline   Mark 

The "2001 and more" collection released.

https://screenrant.c...-remake-series/

tl;dr "modernize the character and make him a whipping boy"

same old bullshit as always

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nearly ten years later and Games Urinalists still won't admit that DNF had shitty gameplay.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options