Duke4.net Forums: 25th anniversary soon.. what can we expect? - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

25th anniversary soon.. what can we expect?

User is offline   gemeaux333 

https://gruntstuff.c...em-movie/94884/

User is offline   Outtagum 

Duke needs a new [good] game before a fucking movie.

This post has been edited by Outtagum: 02 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

User is offline   Steve 64 

View PostOuttagum, on 02 October 2020 - 09:48 AM, said:

I agree with you

View PostOuttagum, on 02 October 2020 - 09:48 AM, said:

A good movie is a definite bonus/improvement, however bad movies never ruin the games whatsoever (Super Mario Bros is the earliest example)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 02 October 2020 - 03:58 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

A movie is a waste of resources when there hasn't been a real game released in almost ten years, and that game basically killed the franchise giving it a terrible reputation. The last thing it needs is a shitty movie preventing another game from happening. Franchises like Doom survive because there are already good games out there in recent memory. Conceivably if a Duke Nukem movie came out in the next year a substantial amount of your potential customers have no idea what Duke Nukem is. It's a huge risk. If your movie sucks they're not going to buy the game. You make a movie, regardless of how good it is, after a successful game because people will go see it no matter what, like Mario Bros. (Although I love that movie, it's a terrible Mario movie.)

User is offline   jkas789 

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 October 2020 - 08:34 AM, said:

I could say that have the feeling that you don't really like Borderlands and just that you play it by constraint, but I rather think you are just pushing the reflexion too far and the game doesn't beg for it as it wasn't meant to be intellectual or expert FPS, as I have 163 hours or Borderlands 1 GOTY Enhanced and 1083 on Borderlands 2 VR (but that might be because I am such a perfectionist) and for the others I only wait them to be released in VR as it is 100 times better for singleplayer experience.

I play it for three reasons:

• I'm a Diablo/GrimDawn/Torchlight junkie and a FPS games fan, so a looter shooter is right there up my alley. Also as a looter shooter Borderlands is decent.
  • Because it is fun to play it in coop.
  • Because of Mad Moxxi's and Maya's tits.

If/when a better looter shooter with descent gunplay, no grindy bullshit and not owned by tencent finally drops I assure I will drop Borderlands immediately.

I'll agree to disagree with you. Gearbox/Randy isn't the answer to a new Duke Nukem game. If they ever release a good DN game THEN AND ONLY THEN will I gladly eat my words. But Gearbox has consistently proven that unless it is Borderlands they are working on then you have no guarantees of having anything near a finished product.

Also I agree with Jimmy. A movie is not the answer to a Duke Nukem revival, It did jack shit for Prince of Persia and it will not do anything for Duke.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postjkas789, on 02 October 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

Because of Mad Moxxi's and Maya's tits.

FUCKING BASED

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Can't help but appreciate that bare-knuckle honesty.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 02 October 2020 - 11:22 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Perhaps even white-knuckled honesty.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostJimmy, on 02 October 2020 - 04:19 PM, said:

A movie is a waste of resources when there hasn't been a real game released in almost ten years, and that game basically killed the franchise giving it a terrible reputation. The last thing it needs is a shitty movie preventing another game from happening. Franchises like Doom survive because there are already good games out there in recent memory. Conceivably if a Duke Nukem movie came out in the next year a substantial amount of your potential customers have no idea what Duke Nukem is. It's a huge risk. If your movie sucks they're not going to buy the game. You make a movie, regardless of how good it is, after a successful game because people will go see it no matter what, like Mario Bros. (Although I love that movie, it's a terrible Mario movie.)

There's also no fucking way you'll be able to get enough funding and attach enough talent to a Duke movie project if there's no game. You probably couldn't even get Uwe Boll. It won't happen, and if it would happen it would be absolute no-effort Z-tier garbage because noone worhtwhile will have any reason to touch it without a game.

I'll agree to disagree with you. Gearbox/Randy isn't the answer to a new Duke Nukem game. If they ever release a good DN game THEN AND ONLY THEN will I gladly eat my words. But Gearbox has consistently proven that unless it is Borderlands they are working on then you have no guarantees of having anything near a finished product.

Also I agree with Jimmy. A movie is not the answer to a Duke Nukem revival, It did jack shit for Prince of Persia and it will not do anything for Duke.

I have no doubts they will sooner than later but until there is something solid to show we will not know for sure and I can understand that like anybody else you only believe what you see, but they already developped or published finished/polished products in the past like Half-Life expansions, Halo Combat Evolved, Brothers in Arms series, 'Battleborn (was decent but no match for Blizzard Overwatch and didn't find its public sadly), Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak and the Nintendo Switch version of DN3D 20th Anniversary WT, so I have no reason to doubt the next Duke Nukem game will be decent at least considering the "law of series"

A good movie would surely do more good than nothingness !
I don't see whats wrong with Prince of Persia adaptation, maybe it wasn't exceptionnal but it was a decent deal in the end with Disney being involved.

View Postnecroslut, on 03 October 2020 - 06:56 AM, said:

There's also no fucking way you'll be able to get enough funding and attach enough talent to a Duke movie project if there's no game. You probably couldn't even get Uwe Boll. It won't happen, and if it would happen it would be absolute no-effort Z-tier garbage because noone worhtwhile will have any reason to touch it without a game.

Funding I don't know especially in these tough times, but Uwe Boll its unlikely as he have stopped directing and now run a restaurant in Vancover (he have stopped because there is no more market for DVD and Blueray), and you don't need a recent game to make an adaptation, you just have to bother how it will be handled, and in the present case its not like Duke Nukem isn't a franchise or isn't famous in anyway, he is still very present in pop culture (like the Olsen Twins despite they have quit acting for a long time) !
Not to mention the Deadpool franchise is famous and the Duke Nukem movie take this direction...
When it comes to movie-licensed games, they are usually more of a disaster than anything else (maybe except Harry Potter)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 03 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Stop spreading your nonsense mate.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 03 October 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

Stop spreading your nonsense mate.

I have no nonsense to spread mate, only common sense !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 03 October 2020 - 09:20 AM

View Postgemeaux333, on 03 October 2020 - 09:14 AM, said:

I have no nonsense to spread mate, only common sense !

You poor thing.

View PostLazy Dog, on 03 October 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

You poor thing.

Then what should I say ? I think everything have been told anyway...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 03 October 2020 - 09:59 AM

User is offline   Hank 

Posted Image

back on topic ...
I heard that Duke is taking an super extended sabbatical. He wont do anything until 2041 or there about, when Gearbox is defunded.

View Postgemeaux333, on 03 October 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

Then what should I say ? I think everything have been told anyway...

View PostHank, on 03 October 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

I heard that Duke is taking an super extended sabbatical. He wont do anything until 2041 or there about, when Gearbox is defunded.

Well, it may be a little exagerated, we all know he decided to take extended RNR like in the past and to run for president, but it rathers seems that Coronavirus is the true reason by now and he just don't want to put himself in danger, he sure have listened to Lo Wang : "Before you attacka, wrap your wacka !"...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 03 October 2020 - 11:08 AM

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

Maya's tits.

Based.

View PostHank, on 03 October 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

I know what? I am fine with that.

This post has been edited by Bubble Gum Chewer: 03 October 2020 - 11:05 AM

Mystery solved :

https://twitter.com/...325265092513793

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd actually trust Uwe Boll with a Duke movie. Postal is the best and most accurate video game movie adaptation, and Uwe has said before that all the shitty movies were basically German tax scams, they were supposed to be bad. (Which tells me that the people who handed it to him didn't give a fuck about the movie.) Running With Scissors is very proud of the movie.

I would also trust Uwe Boll based on Postal for the same reasons, the sad part is because of the failure of the Dungeon Siege adaptation (except the writting there is nothing wrong in it, the acting compensate by a mile, even Chrys Taylor Ceo of Gas Powered Games fount it fun loved it) and when he couldn't count on the german funding anymore he was restricted to low budget movies, and the quality of these last ones also suffered from it... and sadly he retired 4 years ago, although he doesn't seem to have completely given up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 03 October 2020 - 12:39 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postgemeaux333, on 02 October 2020 - 08:34 AM, said:

As usual you are the pot calling the kettle black Jimmy, but don't worry I have already taken the initiative to add you on ignore list straight in the facts, so no risk to see anymore of your mentally chalenged comments !

User is offline   Aleks 

Hahaha, come on guys - Postal movie was completely washed out version of the game, like taking all the satirical content out and replacing it with bad in your face jokes that were vulgar, provoking and over the edge just for the sake of it (although I have to admit the scene with a shootout where only kids got hit was hilarious). Postal is one of my favourite games, but it's plot is completely unsuitable for a movie considering it's mostly based on over the top social satire, one-liner commentaries and player's own grotesque creativity on playful ways of killing enemies and bystanders...

Now pretty much the same can be applied for any potential Duke movie - there's barely any plot in the game - which is why I really hope they won't make the movie after all, at least not now. Taking into account that most action movies these days are completely generic crap (not only action movies actually), there's a high chance we would just get another unmemorable B-class thing with 100% predictable plot. It would work well as a Dirty Harry - alike action movie in the 70s or 80s, with badass protagonist, but now it would be either washed-out or self-parody.

Unless Tarantino gets to write and direct it, spicing the action with his dialogues and giving the generic plot some more depth, plus paying tribute to spaghetti westerns. Of course that's in the dream zone - so I'd rather not see any Duke movie at all, at least for now!

Usually you cannot talk about Uwe Boll without beeing bashed...

What ? I was as upset as you they restricted Postal to a handfull (5) of theatre, it got a treatment it didn't deserve and savaged critically for the wrong reasons, it was certainly the most faithfull adaptation !

I don't see why it wouldn't apply to Duke Nukem, hopping it would not suffer the same fate !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 03 October 2020 - 01:05 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostAleks, on 03 October 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

Hahaha, come on guys - Postal movie was completely washed out version of the game, like taking all the satirical content out and replacing it with bad in your face jokes that were vulgar, provoking and over the edge just for the sake of it (although I have to admit the scene with a shootout where only kids got hit was hilarious). Postal is one of my favourite games, but it's plot is completely unsuitable for a movie considering it's mostly based on over the top social satire, one-liner commentaries and player's own grotesque creativity on playful ways of killing enemies and bystanders...

What game are you playing? Postal hits all of the points of Postal 2. They're both satirical, and they're both vulgar, provoking, and over the edge for the sake of it.

User is offline   Aleks 

Ah of course I was referring to Postal 2 in my previous post. But I tend to completely disagree with you that the movie managed to catch the game's strong points - it had the same topics, but was like a spoiled joke compared to the game, putting random stuff into 1,5 hour movie pretty out of context. I don't have anything against Uwe Boll, haven't seen any of his films and seeing RWS enthusiasm towards the movie, I had high hopes for it - but it was just plainly bad. Probably John Waters would be a better pick for a Postal movie director, as "Pink Flamingos" managed to catch that absurd over the top theme of the game 30 years earlier, but now I think we're drifting far too distant from the topic :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Sounds more like you just don't want to like the film because it has a bad reputation.

User is offline   Aleks 

Nah, I like plenty of films which are hated by critics or have a bad reputation - that's the last thing I'd be biased by (same for games - I loved DNF for example :) ). Postal movie just didn't click for me as a fan of the game, that's it. Maybe on it's own I wouldn't find it that bad, or maybe just some things that work for me in games don't do the trick in another media.

Uwe Boll wanted to do a sequel to Postal, but the kickstarter campaign failed...

I don't understand why Blizzard denied Uwe Boll flat for making an adaptation of Warcraft, he would have done just as much as what we got...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 03 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options