Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 PC port - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 PC port

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

Hi,
I've added Duke Nukem 64 support to Rednukem (port of BUILD engine games based on Duke3D codebase using EDuke32 technology).
You need to put Duke Nukem 64 cartridge ROM dump(Eu or USA version) into your Rednukem folder. Optionally you can add MIDI tracks from DUKE3D.grp or music folder from Megaton Edition and put into same directory.
Splitscreen and multiplayer modes are not implemented and i'm not sure if i'll implement them at all.

I would thank Fox, Hendricks266, TerminX, Maxi Clouds, NY00123, oasiz and Dzierzan for their help, suggestions and contributions.

Video:

You can get latest build of Rednukem here:
https://lerppu.net/wannabethesis/

This post has been edited by Nuke.YKT: 05 July 2020 - 01:41 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

And to add here, this is a reverse-engineered effort compared to the previous (and already great) dn64 mod which utilizes eduke32 features to re-create the game instead.

From game play side there won't be major differences but this one instead aims to port over bigger parts like the rendering from N64 version.
In other words, this is a true port.

Also great work!

User is offline   MrFlibble 

You guys are amazing.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Fan-freakin-tastic.

User is offline   Dynamo128 

Excellent work! I realize this is probably too early to say, but is there any plans for the future to port Total Meltdown in a similar fashion as well? Or is Duke 64 all you had planned?

Cheers either way!

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I am glad you decided to bundle widescreen sprites. I wouldn't mind if it was also a thing for Redneck Rampage or Powerslave.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Can't say much here, but I had practically no involvement on this one.
Although DNTM is probably less worth the time since it's practically a cut down version of the PC original where most of the desirable features can already be replicated by using the 1:1 CON dump and dropping in the extra resources reserved for EP5, CON already includes the quirks such as aggressive sleep states for actors and whatnot.

DNTM in other words is mostly a butchered, stripped down base game with an extra episode tacked on top, renderer was a step down, except allowing DN64-like alt-pals due to not being limited to 256 colours.

However it would of course be nice to have these outside of CON, theoretically allowing easier porting across "ports" even.
As great as the DNTM mod is, it's still reliant on CON to implement "everything".

User is online   Phredreeke 

oasiz, on 05 July 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

Can't say much here, but I had practically no involvement on this one.
Although DNTM is probably less worth the time since it's practically a cut down version of the PC original where most of the desirable features can already be replicated by using the 1:1 CON dump and dropping in the extra resources reserved for EP5, CON already includes the quirks such as aggressive sleep states for actors and whatnot.

DNTM in other words is mostly a butchered, stripped down base game with an extra episode tacked on top, renderer was a step down, except allowing DN64-like alt-pals due to not being limited to 256 colours.

However it would of course be nice to have these outside of CON, theoretically allowing easier porting across "ports" even.
As great as the DNTM mod is, it's still reliant on CON to implement "everything".

and the software rendering can be simulated using Polymost with the r_yshearing CVAR.

User is offline   VGA 

Interesting, time to find a comparison video to see what the N64 port was all about.

User is offline   AlieN1997 

VGA, on 06 July 2020 - 01:16 AM, said:

Interesting, time to find a comparison video to see what the N64 port was all about.

This port was absolutely awesome on the N64 despite not having any music, it really felt a bit more like a different Duke game under Duke 3D rather than just being a port like the Saturn version or Total Meltdown on the PS1. Great addition, looks good man!

This post has been edited by AlieN1997: 08 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

All new (but lower quality I believe) Duke one-liner recordings, new weapons, modified maps (Red Light District turned the adult movie store into a gun store and the strip club into a Duke Burger), ability to save babes, a pretty sweet (if short) guitar rendition of Grabbag over the title, among other things.

User is offline   AlieN1997 

MusicallyInspired, on 08 July 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

All new (but lower quality I believe) Duke one-liner recordings, new weapons, modified maps (Red Light District turned the adult movie store into a gun store and the strip club into a Duke Burger), ability to save babes, a pretty sweet (if short) guitar rendition of Grabbag over the title, among other things.

Yeah, and they turned the indoor strip club into a sort of gangster movie location where they have all these trucks in a garage. A very interesting version of Duke 3D that feels more akin to the spin-off games on PS1 and N64.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

AlieN1997, on 08 July 2020 - 07:10 PM, said:

Yeah, and they turned the indoor strip club into a sort of gangster movie location where they have all these trucks in a garage.

I believe this was supposed to be the goods storage/unloading area at the back of the Duke Burger. I wanted to mention it too because of how seamlessly the bar was transformed into a completely differently themed location.

• The Sarien Encounter

That actually made that my favourite level for that reason. Just genius design.

For the curious, the deathmatch levels are accessible by console, type changelevel 1 31 for castle dukenstein. Piracy. shaft and noctis labyrinthus are accessed from subsequent slots.

Of course since there's no multiplayer and no enemies in the maps there's not much to do in them. But since three of the levels are unique to this version of the game (Piracy being a cut down Babe Land) I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Since Duke 64 has it's own multiplayer-specific maps and features, it'd be sad to not have support for it eventually. Either via Netplay or Splitscreen like the original.

This post has been edited by Striker: 13 July 2020 - 11:21 AM

Maybe the DN64 TC once C/S multiplayer is a thing in EDuke32? Or perhaps add Castle Dukenstein, Shaft and Nocits Labyrinthus to StrikerDM

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

This is brilliant! DN64 was always my favourite version (not least because you could save the babes - I could never understand why, in a game based around an action hero like Duke Nukem, you couldn't save the captured women), and it's great that many other people can now experience DN64, if they want to see how it differed from the PC version.

Thanks for this!

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

Something I always wanted! Thanks!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Phredreeke, on 14 July 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

Maybe the DN64 TC once C/S multiplayer is a thing in EDuke32? Or perhaps add Castle Dukenstein, Shaft and Nocits Labyrinthus to StrikerDM

This is much better than the TC, and a source port is more likely to have functional multiplayer.

The only weird thing i found is a collision that make hard to jump on the Parking pole from left and right sides if you are too close (front and back are ok):

This one:
Posted Image

In the original version i always wondered why in Coop the aliens are able to randomly kill a player sometimes, i mean no matter the health or what kind of monster shoot at the player, ie: Player 1 and 2 both at 200 health, a Trooper or whatever monster sometimes will 1 hit kill a player, someone know if maybe this is a bug or is this made on purpose?

I remember that it was quite frustrating, never happened in single player, maybe they thougth that the game is more interesting in Coop since the players can respawn without restart the level?

Also, if you use a music pack (or at least, for me), some sounds will be missed ie: monster screams.

Fox, on 19 July 2020 - 02:14 AM, said:

This is much better than the TC, and a source port is more likely to have functional multiplayer.

The TC was nice already, i enjoyed to play it again on PC, just the player needed to get used to the new way the grenade launcher shot :)..

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 24 July 2020 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Fox 

The Battlelord, on 24 July 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

In the original version i always wondered why in Coop the aliens are able to randomly kill a player sometimes, i mean no matter the health or what kind of monster shoot at the player, ie: Player 1 and 2 both at 200 health, a Trooper or whatever monster sometimes will 1 hit kill a player, someone know if maybe this is a bug or is this made on purpose?

I remember that it was quite frustrating, never happened in single player, maybe they thougth that the game is more interesting in Coop since the players can respawn without restart the level?

I think I know why.

When a sprite is damaged, the amount is added to a variable but the damage is only processed when a "ifhitweapon" returns true in the CON code.

They most likely made the "ifhitweapon" return false if the source of the damage is also a player and friendly fire is turned off. This also includes any explosive fired by the player itself.

However, the damage is still being added to the variable, and once the player is hit by any monster the cumulative damage will be processed all at once.

Fox, on 24 July 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

When a sprite is damaged, the amount is added to a variable but the damage is only processed when a "ifhitweapon" returns true in the CON code.

They most likely made the "ifhitweapon" return false if the source of the damage is also a player and friendly fire is turned off. This also includes any explosive fired by the player itself.

However, the damage is still being added to the variable, and once the player is hit by any monster the cumulative damage will be processed all at once.

Yeah, You must have hit the point!

Now that i remember, it was not 1 hit kill everytime, sometimes it was heavy damages only, at the time we thought it was some random critical hit (and yes, friendly fire was turned off).
That the damages are cumulative we were aware, indeed when we turn friendly fire on during a gameplay, most of the times the screen became red with huge damages or someone even died, rofl.

Never imagined that the cumulative damages between players were applied to monster's shots too, this explain a lot, thanks!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Just pondering here, does this get us any closer to a PC port of Zero Hour?

oh wow. this is pretty cool :) i'll have to give this a try soon, but i will be also keeping the TC version as well. but. i'm loving this

User is offline   Fox 

/Defiatron\, on 25 July 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

Yes and no.

It's a step on the right direction, but it's still some monumental task.

I would think the game logic added to Zero Hour would still need to be reverse engineered, but that it would be displayed correctly with the DN64 renderer in RedNukem - assuming they didn't add new features to it

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Phredreeke, on 14 July 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

EDuke32 C/S code won't be portable from game to game as-is, it'll need to be custom-tailored to every game, and the game needs modifications to support it.

Fox, on 24 July 2020 - 05:06 PM, said:

I think I know why.

Yeah, this is true. EDuke32-OldMP fixes this by nullifying the damage itself and the damage source in the friendly fire check that occurs in A_IncurDamage before returning, instead of just returning on it's own. (Also fixes another bug that prevents players from damaging themselves, by checking if the source and target are the same.)

/Defiatron\, on 25 July 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

Getting there. The updated lighting and things like being able to shoot individual limbs on enemy models might be a bit of a challenge. Dunno how much different the model format is between DN64 (for the cycloid) and Zero Hour, if there's any difference at all, but that's also a consideration.

This post has been edited by Striker: 26 July 2020 - 11:05 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

You are the man.

If you turn off auto aim it disables the new seeker missiles. Not right after you turn it auto aim off , you have to restart the game for it to take effect. Then to get them to go back too seeking you have to turn auto aim on and restart the game. I guess the code attached to the new rockets use the auto aim code to make them seek somehow and the auto aim setting is breaking it. Just thought I would point this out.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options