Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 PC port - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem 64 PC port

View PostNinety-Six, on 16 December 2022 - 02:15 AM, said:

I went in again to see if I could find anything else amiss. Found a few things, but before I officially report them I want to know if any of this is intended behavior:

1. Is the grenade launcher supposed to do almost no damage to the miniboss enemies? It seems to harm their full-sized boss editions well enough, but it takes so many grenades to even make them flinch. I don't know if something's busted or if that was intentional.

2. On that note, Octabrains seem way more resilient to explosives. Even the missile launcher, the strongest explosive you have, won't necessarily kill them.

and 3. Is there any way to switch to the alternative ammo types that doesn't require pressing the weapon key twice? Because you can't scroll to them on the weapon "wheel." In the original game I'm pretty sure you couldn't unselect the alts until they ran dry.

Now if it's intentional because the devs didn't like that feature, I totally understand and don't mind. But said alts are inaccessible to anyone who uses the mouse wheel to select weapons (which most people do, I think). Again, unless I'm missing something.

1. Am not sure if it is intentional, but i totally agree, looks like the grenades won't land on the mini-battlelords (since the only mini-overlord can be found on Hotel Hell) and do something like half damages.
(deal with all those bastards on a map like Occupied Territory is a pain)

2. Maybe the lack of the Devastator "fixed" the explosives behaviour somehow, idk.

3. Yeah, the player can't unselect the alts, but a joypad with few preset controls can't probably handle all that stuff (unfortunately there is no way to customize it on the N64).

Based on all of this , i don't think that Rednukem allow much modding, the extra features are a bonus already, but yes, it would be cool to add/assign another button (mouse/keyboard) to bind alt ammo alone, and make some other tweaks here and there.

This is one of the reasons why i always liked to think that making a version/mod where most of these things coesist, somehow, would be really cool, one of the enigmatic choices would probably be to choose between the RPG and the Missle Launcher, also what slot to put them lol.
Saving babes rather than kill them, selectable alt ammo with a faster weapon switch, weapons like Freezethrower and Plasma Cannon in the same game, unshrinkable mini-bosses (or maybe shrinkable after dealing them a 50% damages), reimagining some maps bewteen PC and N64 style, and adding some other tweaks would really be a nice experience (imho).

BTW, no matter the game, that monsters had infinite ammo was ok, but then why those alien bastards can also stay underwater and walk on hazards like lava etc, without problems? And do not tell me that all of them have "boots" like the pig cops, most of them don't! lol

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 16 December 2022 - 09:55 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 16 December 2022 - 09:53 AM, said:

3. Yeah, the player can't unselect the alts, but a joypad with few preset controls can't probably handle all that stuff (unfortunately there is no way to customize it on the N64).

But my question is if there's any way to reach the alternate ammo types in Rednukem as it is without using dedicated weapon keys. Because if not, that's a significant issue.

one of the enigmatic choices would probably be to choose between the RPG and the Missle Launcher, also what slot to put them lol.

RPG wins, no contest. The ROF is significantly higher and so can pump out significantly more damage. Same with the Devastator.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 16 December 2022 - 10:33 AM

View PostNinety-Six, on 16 December 2022 - 02:15 AM, said:

I went in again to see if I could find anything else amiss. Found a few things, but before I officially report them I want to know if any of this is intended behavior:

1. Is the grenade launcher supposed to do almost no damage to the miniboss enemies? It seems to harm their full-sized boss editions well enough, but it takes so many grenades to even make them flinch. I don't know if something's busted or if that was intentional.

2. On that note, Octabrains seem way more resilient to explosives. Even the missile launcher, the strongest explosive you have, won't necessarily kill them.

The PC version Octabrains are coded to instantly die if they are hit directly with RPG. The illusion of being explosive-resilient is brought on by removing that on 64.

My impression of the mini-battlelord behavior was always that they started flinching close to death but that too might be an illusion of random chance being guaranteed after so many hits. Maybe with missile launcher you don't pay any attention to the lack of flinching and with grenades it becomes more noted because of the difference in shots.
If it does flinch proportional to its remaining health it might be that the grenade launcher lacks the doubled impact damage that RPG and Devastator both get

View Postlllllllllllllll, on 16 December 2022 - 01:11 PM, said:

The PC version Octabrains are coded to instantly die if they are hit directly with RPG. The illusion of being explosive-resilient is brought on by removing that on 64.

My impression of the mini-battlelord behavior was always that they started flinching close to death but that too might be an illusion of random chance being guaranteed after so many hits. Maybe with missile launcher you don't pay any attention to the lack of flinching and with grenades it becomes more noted because of the difference in shots.
If it does flinch proportional to its remaining health it might be that the grenade launcher lacks the doubled impact damage that RPG and Devastator both get

If these are both true to the original N64 cart then I'll strike them.

That only leaves point 3.

You're right about being unable to switch from yellow ammo to regular without using it first on 64. It could only be avoided [switching to yellow ammo] if you already had the weapon equipped.
I didn't see any settings for it on RedNukem and because it wasn't automatically kicking in by swapping weapons I had thought for a long time it was a missing feature.

BTW, no matter the game, that monsters had infinite ammo was ok, but then why those alien bastards can also stay underwater and walk on hazards like lava etc, without problems? And do not tell me that all of them have "boots" like the pig cops, most of them don't! lol

I swear I remember pigcops drowning to death underwater- so much that I made it so

Attached File(s)

View Postlllllllllllllll, on 17 December 2022 - 12:51 AM, said:

I swear I remember pigcops drowning to death underwater- so much that I made it so

Lol what!? Is this on PC? Never saw them drowning, indeed those sprites are not part of my memories, interesting!

Btw, about point 1, i'm not able to find the topic, but i remember Fox said something about that mini-bosses are resized, but they keep the hitboxes of their originals counterparts, because of this looks like grenades won't land on them (take this easy as i can't remember each word of the conversation).

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 17 December 2022 - 05:05 PM

I had never realized the grenades exploding through walls/doors near a mini battlelord was the hitbox poking through nor for them exploding so high overhead when you arced it too much against them.
It would not affect the damage of grenades being shot at center-mass of one you were facing straight on though (which ofc will not happen because you get riddled with holes). Remembering it now it was definitely a lot less damage because back then I was convinced it wasn't doing damage to begin with.

But for those grenades directly hitting they're still not getting the doubled damage bonus. At the least the projectile for grenade launcher in the mod doesn't have RPG Impact set and Fox knows more about the port than 3drealms did.

Doubled damage bonus?

The damage of an RPG exploding 1 unit away from something is half the damage of an RPG hitting something

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options