Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem is dead. - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem is dead.  "Jon st John killed him."

User is offline   Ronin 

Duke may have no future but he has a past and it is great and worth celebrating.

View PostTerminX, on 10 June 2020 - 08:43 AM, said:

Fuck social media. Political viewpoints have invaded, infested, and completely fucking ruined everything. It's a dumpster fire and the flames are just getting higher because all anyone wants to do anymore is attack people for their viewpoints with this black-and-white, us-vs-them bullshit.

I deleted my Facebook account a little over a year ago. Haven't looked back since.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 10 June 2020 - 02:58 PM, said:

A brief period between 1996 and 1997, but the only things made were a couple of voxel based items, and a pigcop, but it was more or less them dicking around.

I thought those were made for a hypothetical Duke 1.6, not DNF

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That wasn't DNF development. They were toying with the idea of a free update that brought Duke 3D more up to snuff with Shadow Warrior and Blood but it was abandoned.

View Postjimmy is a stupid fuck, on 10 June 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

That wasn't DNF development. They were toying with the idea of a free update that brought Duke 3D more up to snuff with Shadow Warrior and Blood but it was abandoned.

Ah, cool. Didn't know that. Everything I've seen refers to it as early DNF.

User is offline   NNC 

Allen Blum once said he created maps for the planned 1.6(?) version. Since there is a very strict narrative the World Tour levels (including Golden Carnage which looks very 3DRealm-ish) were all brand new, I don't know if those levels are saved somewhere, playable at all, or they're just some test rooms with new effects.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNever Forgotten, on 11 June 2020 - 03:09 AM, said:

Ah, cool. Didn't know that. Everything I've seen refers to it as early DNF.

Just people making shit up or misinterpreting history.

View PostThe Watchtower, on 11 June 2020 - 04:36 AM, said:

Allen Blum once said he created maps for the planned 1.6(?) version. Since there is a very strict narrative the World Tour levels (including Golden Carnage which looks very 3DRealm-ish) were all brand new, I don't know if those levels are saved somewhere, playable at all, or they're just some test rooms with new effects.

You have a source on Blum saying that? He may have been talking about Sector Over Sector stuff, because they were going to add stuff like translucent water from Shadow Warrior as part of the update.

User is offline   NNC 

View Postjimmy is a stupid fuck, on 11 June 2020 - 11:13 AM, said:

You have a source on Blum saying that? He may have been talking about Sector Over Sector stuff, because they were going to add stuff like translucent water from Shadow Warrior as part of the update.

Well, this was the link: http://www.dukenukem...ranscript7.html

In fact, Pitchfork said this:

I remember back when we were working together, like when we shipped the Atomic edition? I don’t even remember there being a debate. It was just like of course there’s going to be a sequel and we just kept doing stuff. And Al was tinkering with the build engine and there were some things that were going on that Ken Silverman did to the engine to allow voxels; to add voxels to the engine and some things some guys had done to allow us to fake 3D with room over room and stuff. And everybody just kept doing stuff. Like Allen started building maps in a kind of upgraded Build engine, I remember Brian just started making weapons and crap with voxels. And then I remember one day George just showed up and “Oh I licensed Quake” and we were like, alright, and handed us the disk.

And then shit followed.

I guess they might have been just some dummy rooms with the new effects, not playable levels, but who knows.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yeah it sounds like Randy just exaggerating in his typical fashion. But you could be right.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postjimmy is a stupid fuck, on 11 June 2020 - 09:32 PM, said:

Yeah it sounds like Randy just exaggerating in his typical fashion. But you could be right.

Allen's response is, "it's hard to remember back that far"

which is code for, 'Randy, you're full of shit because you were doing shadow warrior stuff & heading out the door to join Rebel Boat Rocker. I am not going to collude with what you're saying, but I'm also not going to start an argument here and now over it.'

User is offline   Kralex 

• Removed

This thread is hilarious. You intentionally left a reply to JSJ that you knew would make him mad, it made him mad and now you're mad that you made him mad.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

View PostKralex, on 12 June 2020 - 04:14 AM, said:

This thread is hilarious. You intentionally left a reply to JSJ that you knew would make him mad, it made him mad and now you're mad that you made him mad.

And he is not content that JSJ have ripped his head of, shit down his neck and put the head back on the neck, like any real Duke fan would love him to do to them ^^

I wondered, would there be anything wrong in the new Duke game being a "looter fps" like Borderlands ? I am a bit dubious but at least Duke would have a good chance to loot good/cool weapons, and this way Civvie11 would stop complaining ^^

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 12 June 2020 - 07:49 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Postgemeaux333, on 12 June 2020 - 07:48 AM, said:

I wondered, would there be anything wrong in the new Duke game being a "looter fps" like Borderlands ?

Isn't that what SW2 did and people hated it?

View PostPhredreeke, on 12 June 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

Isn't that what SW2 did and people hated it?

Sort of, but I don't think its the real reason they hated it... the system is way better handled in Borderlands, in SW2 it was more like a travesty !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 12 June 2020 - 09:06 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

Borderlands is boring and only liked by people easily distracted by shiny-shinies.

Overall this trend of forcing shallow "RPG" mechanics into games as a substitute for actual content and depth is one of the biggest cancers upon gaming and it needs to die. Seeing the meter go ding-ding can never be a replacement for actual gameplay and it's only really done for economical reasons..

User is offline   Player Lin 

As one just finished SW2 just weeks ago... I don't hate it but the loot system just a mess, lot of shit that feel like useless, and farming ridiculous amount of orbs for upgrading those useless(mostly due to negative stats/effects)upgrades and weapons, well, I just already feel tired before I want to try the harder difficulty... but the biggest problem is...the whole plot(main quest line) and side missions with random level generator just totally mess, and seems they try to make something big, very big but end up had to cut a lot of that...it just made me don't want play the whole game again even I can skip cutscenes... :P
I have feel about Hoji will pissed off when he saw what FWH did in the last part of main quest line in SW2... :)

Played Borderlands 2 some years ago when it was free on weekend event on Steam...was expected something like Fallout 3/NV or something similar(well, this is count my fault since I prefer something like TES/Fallout) but actually it was not so I lost all of my interest...even I didn't surprised as I did read info about Borderlands 1/2 before and can't found anything that very interest to me...well, just not my cup of tea.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 13 June 2020 - 04:05 AM

Well, in regards to the last Doom games, the new Duke game should keep the glory-kill system, make the game more frenetic, give the possibility to destroy cracked walls with an RPG (or any explosive) to stay true to the roots (DN3D) and add a Duke Cave that works like the Doomslayer fortress (and not a brief passage)

John Romero also made a statement lately about these "shalow RPG mechanics" in present days games... perhaps its wiser to forget about this "looter fps" idea for the new Duke game, after all DNF already taken the ideas from the FPS games released in the meantime of its developement, especially not the best or the good ones, and not for the best...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 13 June 2020 - 08:20 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 13 June 2020 - 03:59 AM, said:

As one just finished SW2 just weeks ago... I don't hate it but the loot system just a mess, lot of shit that feel like useless, and farming ridiculous amount of orbs for upgrading those useless(mostly due to negative stats/effects)upgrades and weapons, well, I just already feel tired before I want to try the harder difficulty... but the biggest problem is...the whole plot(main quest line) and side missions with random level generator just totally mess, and seems they try to make something big, very big but end up had to cut a lot of that...it just made me don't want play the whole game again even I can skip cutscenes... :P
I have feel about Hoji will pissed off when he saw what FWH did in the last part of main quest line in SW2... :)

I loved Shadow Warrior 2013, but couldn't never bring myself to finish SW2, it just gets tedious.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 13 June 2020 - 10:41 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostLazy Dog, on 13 June 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

I loved Shadow Warrior 2013, but couldn't never bring myself to finish SW2, it just gets tedious.

They didn't get the idea about how do to loot game properly(I like play Diablo 2/3 but still feel boring after played a lot without got what I want)...
But mostly, SW just doesn't fit that at all, at least gun play in SW2 is a little better than SW 2013...a little.

:)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's been quite awhile since I made this thread. I decided to revisit, reread, and think about it.

It's very hard. I've continued to get messages from people regarding Jon and his... antics. He hasn't really improved since this thread was made. He's continued to, frankly, hurt a great number of his fans in ways that I just can't abide.

Thing is... It's hard to denounce and clean house of a character that I've known for a very very very large part of my life.

I've actually given serious thought to producing a documentary on my personal experiences with Duke. Everything I've ever experienced, my understanding of the history of the character, everything. I don't know. It's a thought. An idea. Not something I've actually put serious work into. I do have a lot to say, and I think I have a good feel for the community as a whole, and some people, particularly on The Duke Cave, have said I should do something along those lines. We'll see.

Some of you were right. With time some aspects of this have faded. However, some things have also not faded. One thing "just because of his political views.." no. I know many people who are left of me, many who are right of me... I can have a discussion with them and it doesn't turn into a shit show like this. It might get heated, shit talking may ensue, but we can still have other discussions in the future. It's never really been the political aspect of it that bothered me. It's the way he lies about the people he silences. The way he trash talks really good people for no reason other than they didn't kiss his ass. The way he has created an insolated cult around himself.

I was watching a documentary not too long ago about Star Trek, and it cited a quote regarding the way the original cast felt about William Shatner. James Doohan(Scotty) said, basically "I love Captain Kirk, I don't love William Shatner."

Now I know some of you on here knowing where that line goes are already saying "No s hit." But I don't think it's as simple as that for me. It never was. Jon became so integral to who Duke Nukem was, that when I try to remove Duke from him and him from Duke I don't really know what lands where.

So i've actually decided to simplify this issue for myself. I like legacy Duke Nukem. That is Duke NUkem 3D, Duke Nukem Zero Hour, Duke Nukem Time to Kill, Manhattan Project, and everything that preceded those products. Everything that came after I just don't have any love for. Anything after 3D Realms does not matter. Any new material that comes up in the future if Jon is involved (Or Randy) I simply will not support it with my money.

I've reworked my little collection. I have my childhood copies of Duke 3D. I picked up a boxed copy of Duke 3D 1.3, and a copy of the Build Engine level designer handbook. (Lot's of fun to look at it, even though we technically have more veritable and varied resources today.)

I'm actually starting to contemplate making some classic styled Duke maps just for fun. Nothing fancy or pushing the boundaries. Just a return to those simpler times. Before everything went nasty.

That brings me to the last point I wanted to discuss. Something I said early on in this thread, about replacing Duke. I actually still stand by this.

I truly believe at this stage that Duke Nukem has been irreparably damaged by those that hold control over him. I think they waited way too long to follow up from the bad taste of DNF. I think both Randy and Jon's antics have hurt the image of Duke. I think the press has succeeded in turning a large portion of people against the character. I think it's just a huge uphill battle to try and fix what has been broken for this character. Whereas back in the late 90s and early 2000s Duke had such an immeasurable amount of good will built up.

Several people on here, and elsewhere, have said "Just make a character like Duke that isn't Duke and make a Duke game." Well, sure, you can do that... The problem is that Duke is both very generic and very definitive. With all due respect to Croteam, what you get when you do that is Serious Sam. Sam comes off like a Walmart brand Duke Nukem. He does not have the same charismatic edge or the same versatility of Duke. Just look at Duke's games. They're all action focused, but Duke fits into so many scenarios as a character.

So what you need is a character that embodies that same set of "ideals" but with their own personality, but still maintain the attitude that made Duke endearing. Take Ion Fury for example. I'm not bad mouthing VoidPoint or Shelly here, but she's not Duke. All the click-baity headline titles in the world don't change that. She doesn't fill his boots. The attitude is wholly different, beyond the generic "makes pop culture referencing one-liners." Again, i'm not slamming the work done there. I'm simply saying it's like comparing 80s hair metal to 90s grunge. They're not the same beast, even if they use similar instruments and ideas.

So like I said, Duke is generic enough that trying to do anything similar will get you marked as a "knock off" but he's also definitive enough that where he sits in the gaming zeitgeist also makes it incredibly hard to carve out a place that another character could fit. Most that have tried have effectively failed. Sin is basically the prime example in terms of tone and gameplay, and while many of us here like it, it just didn't reach wide success.

The soul searching I've been doing for the last few years, even before the JSJ fallout, has been to find the right ingredients, the right mixture, to create the successor to Duke Nukem. A proper successor. Gameplay wise I already know pretty much exactly what I want, but the really big thing is the character. Trying to build that. I've tried hundreds of concepts. Countless hours of conversations with different people. It sounds easy enough on paper, but it really isn't. One concept I thought about trying to make work was inspired by "The Wrestler." Vinny and I toyed with the idea years back of doing a "not Duke" Duke Nukem game where you play a hero who has aged just passed his prime. So the character would be very much ofg the "i'm too old for this shit" vibe.

I've even been contemplating a bit of a cutesy idea where instead of trying to emulate the mold that Duke progenerated, what if you played one of the cocooned babes from Duke3D? Imagine Prey, but it's done in a B-movie style where you play a cheerleader who gets abducted, and has to escape the aliens and fight her way through them? Almost akin to Lollipop Chainsaw and Duke Nukem having a baby. That kind of off-kilter, sorta Sam-Raimi-ish inspired tone. Imagine getting someone like Izzy Hale to voice her, and getting the rights to Halestorm's cover of "Shoot to Thrill" for the trailer. I'm actually very enthusiastic about this concept. It's one of three that I've been pushing along to see which one really takes off first.

It's where I started when TeaMonster and I were working on a Duke Nukem game on UE4 with the title of "Duke Nukem Outta This World" Duke would basically get abducted by a species of alien amazons that were being wiped out by the Cycloids. A little "Heavy Metal" and a little "Mars Needs Cheerleaders."

I don't know. I don't think I was way off base at the start of this thread. Even after all this time to think about it. I think that my attempt to completely remove something I loved from my life was an impossible ideal to hold myself to, but I absolutely think we as a community would be foolish to support these people in their further endeavors, it goes beyond just differing opinions. They think lowly of any of us that do not follow them lock step.

User is online   ck3D 

Honestly I only skimmed through that post but I did notice your creative tendencies, I would seriously encourage you to pursue that, the documentary if you feel like it (it might turn out interesting, really) but most importantly game content for Duke 3D, one of the reasons why I'm always encouraging people to even make basic maps is, in the end, that's how you control what you play and stop relying on outside actors who will in fact never get it just right to you, and will only occasionally get close to your own vision. The universe is only exclusive to the IP owners on paper. I feel like that's how you should be using your current drive and you might be surprised yourself how effective just the process proves to be against your current frustrations. You want to see a new Duke game that's orientated a certain way, cool, all the tools are there, you can make it and people will play it.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 April 2021 - 03:47 AM

If they do good work and make good games, I'm not going to let it get in my way of enjoying the products. Hollywood is full of libtard leftist snowflakes but it doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching quality films. The concept is very noble, but usually the end result it self-deprivation. Sorry to hear about your experience, though.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Separate the artist from the art.

You should be able to admire a work, even if the author has done horrible things.

Most media has several people working behind it. Odds are, not everyone is going to be a saint.

However, your problem with Jon St John is his ideology and how he approach fans.

Not everyone is going to believe on the same things as you, and they have the right to. Are politics so important for you that you can't overlook it?

Regarding your personal experience with Jon St John, ever heard the saying "never meet your heroes?" It's rather common for artists to not deal well with the attention.

Jon St John is just a voice actor. You don't know for how long he will continue to play the role. Get over it.

P.S: While Pitchford has been accused of hosting parties involving "adult men have reportedly exposed themselves to minors", that doesn't seem to be what concerns you.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postck3D, on 02 April 2021 - 03:45 AM, said:

Honestly I only skimmed through that post but I did notice your creative tendencies, I would seriously encourage you to pursue that, the documentary if you feel like it (it might turn out interesting, really) but most importantly game content for Duke 3D, one of the reasons why I'm always encouraging people to even make basic maps is, in the end, that's how you control what you play and stop relying on outside actors who will in fact never get it just right to you, and will only occasionally get close to your own vision. The universe is only exclusive to the IP owners on paper. I feel like that's how you should be using your current drive and you might be surprised yourself how effective just the process proves to be against your current frustrations. You want to see a new Duke game that's orientated a certain way, cool, all the tools are there, you can make it and people will play it.

I appreciate the words of encourage, but re: JSJ, it's not about him not meeting my expectations. It's about him being a literal hostile asshole to fans. Like I said, I still get the messages from people on The Duke Cave about the stuff he is doing.

View PostWilliam Beavis, on 02 April 2021 - 04:19 AM, said:

If they do good work and make good games, I'm not going to let it get in my way of enjoying the products. Hollywood is full of libtard leftist snowflakes but it doesn't mean I'm going to stop watching quality films. The concept is very noble, but usually the end result it self-deprivation. Sorry to hear about your experience, though.

That's fine. I'm not giving coin to those that further an acidic and toxic ideology that would see my way of thinking scrubbed out if they had the chance. It's one thing if we're talking about a difference of opinion that is expressed civilly and with a modicum of respect. In Jon's case we're talking about a guy who seems to take pleasure in hurting his fans. Why? Because he can. Because he's got enough of a fan base that will still blindly follow him even if he completely trashes a person. "Yeah, they deserved it!"

View PostFox, on 02 April 2021 - 04:23 AM, said:

Separate the artist from the art.

Most of the time that is true. I can separate most artists from their art, when the person is the art, that is a little different. Jon is the Duke Nukem performance. That's not as easy as separating the faces and personalities of level designers or composers or texture artists whos presence isn't directly in the media. Jon is right there. No, I will not support any future Duke products that he is involved with, and that's the best moral stance to take with a man who has no respect for his fans. He made a young girl cry because she dared ask him for a Big The Cat autograph. He yelled at her and accused her of trolling him. Not on social media, in person, at a convention.

You should be able to admire a work, even if the author has done horrible things.

Most media has several people working behind it. Odds are, not everyone is going to be a saint.

I can admire everything about Duke Nukem 3D, even the inspired performance of Duke. That still doesn't require me to buy new products which feature the scummy asshole behind the voice.

However, your problem with Jon St John is his ideology and how he approach fans.

Not everyone is going to believe on the same things as you, and they have the right to. Are politics so important for you that you can't overlook it?

His ideology as it has to do with treating other human beings, yes. Particularly those that adore and admire him. People who give him money to make appearances. I don't, and won't support that. Absolutely not.

I've repeatedly countered this point. He mistreats his fans. How many times do I have to say this? It's not about his politics. It's about how he treats his fans. Do I agree with his politics? No. Like I said, though, I have friends and colleagues who are left and right of me that I can still get along with just fine. Jon is the one who draws the lines in the sand, and then shit talks the people he eliminates from his circle after the fact.

Regarding your personal experience with Jon St John, ever heard the saying "never meet your heroes?" It's rather common for artists to not deal well with the attention.

Sure, and it's generally bullshit. I don't have Jon on any kind of a pedestal. Don't be a complete dick to your fans on a regular basis is not a particularly high bar for anyone to clear. He's hurt people, you understand that right?

Jon St John is just a voice actor. You don't know for how long he will continue to play the role. Get over it.

At this point I don't think he'll be playing the role ever again. No. I'm not going to give him my patronage.

No. I'm not going to "get over" watching my friends, and myself, getting trashed by someone I personally supported. What I'm saying bothers you, Fox. So it sounds like it is you that has something to get over, here. I've said my peace and I've made my peace. That was my primary reason for coming back to this thread.

P.S: While Pitchford has been accused of hosting parties involving "adult men have reportedly exposed themselves to minors", that doesn't seem to be what concerns you.

Everything Randy does is greasy, immoral, and in general awful. Why pick one particular aspect of the man to loath when pretty much everything about him is loathsome? I put it right up there with his physical assault accusations and going on Twitter screaming about gamespot/ign "FUCKING ME!" Lying to his audience on a regular basis, shit talking Valve who basically gave his company the leg up it needed, the horrible treatment of his employees and taking a bonus for himself while the rest of the company ate shit... Again, why pick just one thing to dislike Randy for when he practically exhales shitty stuff on the regular all the time?

User is online   ck3D 

View PostOpenMaw, on 02 April 2021 - 07:37 AM, said:

I appreciate the words of encourage, but re: JSJ, it's not about him not meeting my expectations. It's about him being a literal hostile asshole to fans. Like I said, I still get the messages from people on The Duke Cave about the stuff he is doing.

I think it might actually be what I called it really, the expectation being how you expect him to be a good person (according to your idea of a good person, which you don't have to justify standing by) except as people have been saying, his only personal contribution to the Duke IP has been his voice acting which I'm not saying isn't important or tied to the character, but remains a form of acting, so I think you do need the dissociation between the work and the artist. People say never meet your heroes, I'd rather say always meet your heroes because that's when you realize you really wasted your time forming an idealized version of the person in your head (sort of like catching oneitis, the representation could be almost religious even) and thus should never have had heroes in the first place, and it doesn't matter how many interactions you've had with them before where you just so happened to click. No one is a hero per se, sometimes people do great things but all have different human limitations and the inspiration you get from acts you appreciate shouldn't go with personal attachment or identification to their authors. Also as people have once again been saying, the most sincere artists don't directly create for the fans, they create for themselves first and foremost which may sound selfish when put like that but really has to do with them making sure their vision accurately translates over into their work in order to successfully communicate their ideas to the masses, who then benefit from the quality of said work and so that's when the originally selfish drive becomes in fact purely generous and altruistic and shines as such. Some artists may get popularity but that's never the drive of the best, only of the weakest who usually quickly either surrender to the market's latest tendencies, or lose themselves to the expectations from their fans when they forget the original source of their genius. As for Jon St. Jon, you may place him wherever you see fit on that scale, but it's very plausible that he may be a hostile asshole to fans yes, in fact why wouldn't he be (or not be), and why would he be (or not be) particularly smart or social? That's it, sometimes people suck or at least clash against our own sensibilities - so it makes sense that you shouldn't expect them not to.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostOpenMaw, on 01 April 2021 - 01:47 AM, said:

The problem is that Duke is both very generic and very definitive. With all due respect to Croteam, what you get when you do that is Serious Sam. Sam comes off like a Walmart brand Duke Nukem. He does not have the same charismatic edge or the same versatility of Duke. Just look at Duke's games. They're all action focused, but Duke fits into so many scenarios as a character.

If you asked me, I'd probably say that Serious Sam is different because the gameplay is entirely different, even though the first game was pitched as a return-to-the-roots, classic old school FPS style. Maybe this kind of holds true compared to a certain style of Doom WADs, but not to Duke3D.

I'd like to hear more on your ideas and understanding of the character in general. To me, gameplay is very closely tied to the character -- after all, gameplay here is what the character does, and actions define the character. In this respect, Shelly from Ion Fury is very much in the same boat as Duke, Lo Wang and Caleb.

I do however remember the charm of Duke's casual reactions to the extreme circumstances he's thrown into, and to what he's pressed to do while fighting the aliens. I wanted to say that Arnold seems like the chief inspiration here but I guess other iconic actors like Stallone or Clint Eastwood also went into that mould. This is likely the part which is not easy to replicate without being accused of plagiarism, and any other alternative, whichever it is, would inevitably be different. Yet of course Duke is not the only type of what a charming 90s style FPS character could be.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I expect anyone famous to have some sociopathic traits or they wouldn't be famous in the first place. The type of people who don't accept "no" for an answer and think they deserve to be in the spotlight. You see this in every field, the person getting the most attention is rarely the person actually deserving. Not that they're untalented, but there are so many other talented people out there who nevertheless lack the drive to push themselves to the front of the pack. Everyone I ever met that I had some kind of reverence for turned out either to be seriously mundane, almost boring, or fucking terrible.

At the same time, I fully support somewhat delusional thinking if it'll help you in life to reach greater heights. Seems rationality rarely does that for people, so by all means, use your hatred/disappointment as fuel for your future creative endeavors.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostImmanuel Cunt, on 02 April 2021 - 08:33 AM, said:

You see this in every field, the person getting the most attention is rarely the person actually deserving. Not that they're untalented, but there are so many other talented people out there who nevertheless lack the drive to push themselves to the front of the pack.

That is very true and essentially the reason why I consider 'outsider art' on the same level as 'fine art' so long as the quality is there (that being said it takes some education, formal and informal, to be able to recognize it). Quality shines by itself, the rest is just mental constructions around a certain business model.

About the talented never pushing themselves to the front of the pack, it's usually because the front of the pack is riddled with all the opportunists who preceded you and the closer you get the more it fucking stinks. In my field I'm constantly exposed to a variety of profiles from local more or less starving artists to worldwide famous athletes with the biggest sponsors in sports, the former are always the cream of humanity whereas the latter is a bunch of pea-brained selfish and narcissist assholes who more often than not have rape, murder, homicide, hate crime, willful disease spreading and nazi history in addition to scamming, blackmailing, pushing people to suicide and you name it, all covered up by the corporations pulling cartoon-crazy strings to keep their icons painted under a good light, and I'm talking people with from 100k to 4.5 million of followers on Instagram, mostly kids, maybe yours. You don't want the front of the pack, so mostly assholes feel like going that far up there while the good people won't be interested.

Oddly satisfyingly, though and still in my field at least, cancel culture is just about to wipe those fuckers out of the scene. In fact it's already in the process of doing so as social media develops and mainstream media no longer has the monopoly on communication and information, which means that more people have a voice and can tell and hear the true stories, and choose their own inspirational figures outside the current commercial system in place (usually the equally-if-not-more talented ones further back in the pack).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 April 2021 - 10:17 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This thread is proof that some people tie video games they played as children into defining personality traits, manifesting bizarre emotional behaviours about things they should just not give a fuck about.

Duke is dead.

This is actually a good thing, and you should accept it.

JSJ is a common cocksucker, and I mostly take offense to him thinking he is some kind of authority on the character. He is just a paid voice actor, who hasn't even been doing the voice correctly for 25~ years. I don't give a fuck what anyone says; Objectively, George Broussard is the pre-eminent authority on Duke Nukem as a character.

As an aside, Serious Sam could "fill that hole" but Croteam just likes making shitty games apparently.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 02 April 2021 - 09:00 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostOpenMaw, on 02 April 2021 - 07:37 AM, said:

Most of the time that is true. I can separate most artists from their art, when the person is the art, that is a little different. Jon is the Duke Nukem performance. That's not as easy as separating the faces and personalities of level designers or composers or texture artists whos presence isn't directly in the media. Jon is right there. No, I will not support any future Duke products that he is involved with, and that's the best moral stance to take with a man who has no respect for his fans. He made a young girl cry because she dared ask him for a Big The Cat autograph. He yelled at her and accused her of trolling him. Not on social media, in person, at a convention.

I can admire everything about Duke Nukem 3D, even the inspired performance of Duke. That still doesn't require me to buy new products which feature the scummy asshole behind the voice.

Are you going to boycott Ion Fury too? Jon St John also works as an voice actor there.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options