Duke4.net Forums: VoidSW Public Beta - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VoidSW Public Beta

User is offline   jkas789 

Try making a shortcut and adding the gWT.grp command.

Or re install SW.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 08 February 2021 - 09:04 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostAnacronox, on 08 February 2021 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hm its not like there are multiple overly complicated ways to install it. All 3 grps are in the same folder plus voidsw. Yet checksum on wt.grp apparently fails as its not shown on game tab. The game itself is from original cd expansions from moddb. Oh well good to know the problem is actually on my end though i have no idea what might cause it. As i said buildgdx & original exe detect it just fine.

If you downloaded some random entry from ModDB then you probably have a custom repack of the GRP which is unsupported. Get the official version.

View Postjkas789, on 08 February 2021 - 09:04 AM, said:

Try making a shortcut and adding the gWT.grp command.

Do not do this. This is not how you load expansions.

User is online   Phredreeke 

what would be the drawback from loading an expansion as a group file?

User is offline   Player Lin 

Load the expansion GRP/resources twice and caused conflicts or something not good?

User is offline   Anacronox 

View PostHendricks266, on 08 February 2021 - 12:14 PM, said:

If you downloaded some random entry from ModDB then you probably have a custom repack of the GRP which is unsupported. Get the official version.

Wasn't some random entry though. Official version is the very same file. Tried it - same result.
Anyway after messing around with different versions of the game found the culprit. Turns out sw.grp (shows up as shadow warrior (europe) on game tab) from original cd with wanton destruction prevents the latter from loading in voidsw. All while twin dragon works just fine. Using sw.grp from gog classic solved the problem. Weird stuff heh.

This post has been edited by Anacronox: 09 February 2021 - 02:17 AM

User is offline   FistMarine 

I can confirm that Shadow Warrior, Twin Dragon and Wanton Destruction all show up fine on my end. I use the SW.GRP from original US CD version, WT.GRP from official swwd.exe installer downloaded from FilePlanet and the tdragon.zip file from gamers.org.
https://www.fileplan...-Expansion-FREE
http://www.gamers.or...gon/tdragon.zip

I would recommend to get the addons from these places (or other similar places that have the two files: swwd.exe and tdragon.zip, in case gamers.org is blocked by your antivirus for example, although the site should be safe as I downloaded a lot of stuff from it before) instead of random ModDB uploads by other users. As Hendricks266 mentioned, the Twin Dragon grp found there is modified or repacked by ProAsm, I think. However there is also TD.grp which is only found in Classic Redux and that one probably works too.

Anyway, I want to report two minor issues that persist in latest build (r9310)
-When starting the game, it seems you can't skip the Lo Wang cutscene with SPACE, however it works with ENTER button
-After starting Wanton Destruction and going to New Game, the second episode WANTON DESTRUCTION seems to go outside of screen. I know in original DOS version, the episode was displayed as "WANTON DESTR" or something similar, presumably to avoid the text going outside of screen, while here the episode name was fixed, but the text goes outside of screen. This may be because I'm playing on resolution 1024x768 and it would display fine on widescreen resolution. Yep, just confirmed on the 1360x768 resolution (the highest available on my PC), the episode name just barely fits on my monitor, however I'm not a fan of letterboxed display, I like when the whole screen fills the monitor instead of the black bars on edges.

Other than that, I really like the port! It runs smooth from my 5 minutes testing with cheats on the first level! :)

User is offline   jkas789 

It runs better than Shadow Warrior GDX. The only thing missing IMO is being able to load user maps from the ingame menu.

User is offline   Morgаn 

Is there a way to use SW Redux hires UI and HUD with VoidSW or Raze?

This post has been edited by Morgаn: 06 June 2021 - 08:01 AM

Do you know how to edit def files?

User is offline   Morgаn 

View PostPhredreeke, on 06 June 2021 - 08:11 AM, said:

Do you know how to edit def files?

Kinda. But I'm afraid this is going to be pain in the butt with so many separate icons and fonts to figure it out by myself from scratch and almost zero knowledge. So I wonder if there was released mod like with widescreen sprites from redux.

This post has been edited by Morgаn: 06 June 2021 - 09:51 AM

This was brought up to me by Shadow on Discord

Missing semitransparent sprite on the floor (this goes for all SW ports with hardware renderer, not just VoidSW)

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Which map?
I think that texture might be tucked under the ground in order to simulate "parallax reflection".
Sprites tucked underground in HW modes will not render.

It only works due to software rendering sprites last and not really clipping sprites.

Doh! I was writing this report in two places and missed adding where it is.

It's in Crude Oil, after the red passcard door at the start

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Yup, it's 2048 units below floor Z. Raising it will make it appear but of course it loses the intended reflected parallax effect.
It could also be the result of map height changes and the mapper forgot to raise the sprite as it's easy to miss.

Due to how GL rendering (and anything real 3D really) it will likely never work as it abuses a very specific quirk of how software rendering works and working around it would result in a huge amount of hacks.

Similar tricks in duke, etc.. will result in the same.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

@ Morgan:
You might be lucky. I have just finished a Redux HD GUI pack. Dunno if I can actually release it, probably not. A 100% recreation isn't possible due to the way Redux is doing some things with the menu, though. Anyway, PM me if you want it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 June 2021 - 01:45 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

Following a recent chat in the Duke4.net Discord, it might be the time for me to finally write the following.

When you start working on something for a while (e.g., for months), it can be difficult to predict for how long you'll be interested in doing this, and what you'll go through on the way.

In the case of my contributions to the EDuke32 repository from 2020 H1, I kinda started with a few changes for Ken-Build and SW, mostly because I got write-access to the repository in 2019 Q4; Same with a couple of general fixes in the audio library. Later, I did much more work for SW. One thing I was interested in at the time was the resurrection of JFSW's multiplayer support, along with making it work in M/S mode (at least up to some level).

I also did more than multiplayer-specific changes, with sector object interpolation being a good example. This idea probably came during investigation of the lack of camera interpolation while residing on a sector object that carries the player (a limitation of vanilla SW); This includes instances in which the sector object doesn't move at all, say the bus in the beginning of level 1 after it crashes.

One thing is sure: It occurred (way) more than once, that when I tried to fix something, it would unintentionally break another thing. Even if I eventually seemed to get things to a more usable state (at least in certain maps), the big problem is that a lot of the existing code was not originally tested with the changes in mind.

While it was known that the SW sources were out and others could always work on their own ports, I knew that Hendricks266 wanted VoidSW to be the next big thing for SW (1997) after SWP and Classic Redux. He clearly started to spend significantly more time on VoidSW in 2019 Q4, after Ion Fury's release.

What did change later was the releases of Raze and WangGDX as other alternatives for playing SW.

To finish, even with my additions, I still consider VoidSW to mainly be Hendricks266's project.

User is offline   DUKEBR89 

Posting just to thank the hardworking devs for this source port, you are awesome :dukeaffirmative: I didn't even know it was available until yesterday, Shadow Warrior was the last big three Build engine games left to play, four if you include Ion Fury. I played the shareware levels and overall it was very smooth like regular Eduke32. I didn't recall encountering any bugs, only some missing features, like quit console command missing and not being able to bind mouse side buttons, which I use for cycling the inventory. Is there any way to bind them?

This post has been edited by DUKEBR89: 25 July 2021 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   Aun 

Hey, awesome project. I'm running the Linux version off of the AUR and the game plays great.

This post has been edited by Aun: 02 May 2022 - 10:04 PM

User is offline   Ras 

In case it's not known, I encountered a bug on Raider of the Lost Wang. The part with a room over room with a crate down below with a health pickup on top of the crate, the health pickup looks like a flat brick texture from above. If you drop down, the health pickup looks normal.

• The Truth is in here

Want to chime in since I reinstalled it to see what changed.
There's still no way to get the widescreen statusbar working? I was really hoping there was a way now. Also using highres replacements won't work since the image gets squeezed to the size of the 8-bit tile.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 November 2022 - 02:32 AM

• The Truth is in here

Also MIA: Grpinfo and zip/pk3 support. Until now I haven't managed to get any zipped addon working, so apparently the port only supports the native groupfile format right now.

You know what I was hoping for with VoidSW? A High Resolution Pack made for Shadow Warrior! And I just hope it might go so well with it's brother Duke Nukem 3D.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options