Duke4.net Forums: Duke CBP 2020 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke CBP 2020  "Long time no see."

User is offline   Sanek 

View Postck3D, on 30 May 2020 - 02:51 AM, said:

Jokes aside, as Mark pointed out there's definitely enough scratched material for more than just one map on everybody's HD's - probably several episodes' worth in total. Someone dedicated to copy-pasting could definitely stitch together some cool layouts on the basis of all that lost work,

It's kinda suspicious that the participants made their work' so fast. Perhaps I made a huge mistake when I told everybody about my old, already-made map/part, I should've kept my mouth shut.

So no bullerbullerseven in the end, and no WG?

No Sanek that's for sure. :)

I'm not pissed about it. I would've made something from scratch If I had time for it (if I'd come earlier). Certainly would like to make a map with somebody, but I guess I'd have to wait until Merlijn will finish Shaky Ground pt3, hehe.
Anyway, good luck everyone - with the talent involved, looks like this map's gonna rock! :P

User is online   ck3D 

View PostSanek, on 31 May 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

It's kinda suspicious that the participants made their work' so fast. Perhaps I made a huge mistake when I told everybody about my old, already-made map/part, I should've kept my mouth shut.

No I don't think it is - that's just how CBP parts work, you sign in if you're inspired by the theme and format and then you just build around the limitations, dealing with the restrictions actually makes one more efficient, you have to learn a compressed approach of everything you're normally used to doing so the process is a lot faster than a sophisticated design and in the end, your contribution works also partly thanks to that. Like I was saying I was surprised to hear about everyone else's quick progress when I first got the hub map too but then I naturally ended up doing the same thing. That's also why I'm uneasy about the idea of retrofitting scrapped maps into CBP's, usually those were built with completely different concern when it comes to the use of resources and sometimes they do fit, but sometimes they don't because of that. For instance here your abandoned level has 400 sectors, my part has barely over a quarter of that because I built everything in consideration that the remaining space was going to be shared, I expect everyone else involved also did the same or went for a theme that especially simplified their usual style so that every resource would be wisely spent from A to Z, whereas single maps you start building as something ideally ambitious then give up on are different. Of course ideally it would have been amazing to be able to use your level but here it's a combination of waking up too late and the format being almost fitting, but not quite. The fact that it was pre-made isn't the problem per se, when you forget about that detail you can easily see it's just lack of space.

What I find is important to say though is I think you did the right and natural thing by being honest and shouldn't take it personally (other people have been turned down before you, also on a side note do you realize how rude it would be to accept your level after we've had other people resign?), this is just a circumstantial situation so there's no lesson of that sort to be learned out of it I don't think. If anything, people would have found out that your contribution didn't fit regardless so if anything, you saved everyone's time (yours included) by being straightforward. Your map sounds interesting too and deserves to see the light of the day, so I don't understand why you couldn't just start another community thing around it or take the initiative of asking around if people want to help you finish it? Honestly I would in a world where I wouldn't be busy with my own shit, but I'm sure there are people available who would like to try. By making the situation about yourself this way you're only going to fuel frustration which isn't good, you should make it about yourself the right way by coming up with alternative ways of using the map if you really like it that much.

edit - the comment on speed in general is a very interesting general observation though. I guess people's mapping is quicker when it's more carefree? Then why is it than bigger maps that are supposed to be just as carefree in approach can take so much longer to make? How much is that due to the map actually being larger, and how much is due to something on the cognitive level, levels of focus and the barrier of disbelief?

This post has been edited by ck3D: 31 May 2020 - 07:47 PM

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Yeah I found that a carefree environment not only leads to ease of building but also... we can be surprised what some people make when they aren't questioning there work as much. And some proportional limit makes us not be like okay this area needs 2k more walls of details lol. It makes you work at a good pace and it simply just becomes fun. And when mappers have fun they end up making something without stress of a big project. Bigger projects help you burn out and I know for sure. Turok 3 map of mine burned me out.

So just having a little fun without the seriousness and question marks in our heads it allows free fun and good building. And knowing that it isn't a daunting task helps.

Anyways, ck3D yes do 2.3k walls. I've opened it.

As for buller and wg I am still open but I will not pressure them at all. Since this project is no pressure and even not much of a time line. When its ready it will be ready. Timelines are ehh in my opinion.

Also, this won't be the last cbp. I have done multiple group projects now and I don't see that ending. I'd rather do a cbp than my own entire map tbh. At least for now. So if I decided to do another map it would end up another group project atm lol.

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 05 June 2020 - 07:17 PM

• Turok Nukem

Little update: Multiple areas have been sent to me. Things are starting to come together. This project is still on and shouldn't be much longer from here. There is still finalizing stuff I must do once every part is connected. And then I will send it to each mapper. So they can make sure things are good in there areas.

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 04 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I’m curious about the reason behind the name, as opposed to continuing the main CBP series by another increment. The last one of these was CBP 8: Metropolitan Starlight released in 2012. There have been others such as the 20 sector CBP and Beach CBP, Suburban Hive 1 and 2, as well as community episodes such as Metropolitan Mayhem, Duke Hard, and probably a few sets of mini maps built within 1.5 and 2 hours. I just wonder if there’s ever going to be a CBP 9 :)

I guess the difference here is that it’s meant to be an episode in a map, which is a fairly novel concept. Arguably Suburban Hive 1 and 2, and the Beach CBP should have been numbered CBPs.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostSixty Four, on 04 July 2020 - 09:55 PM, said:

Little update: Multiple areas have been sent to me. Things are starting to come together. This project is still on and shouldn't be much longer from here. There is still finalizing stuff I must do once every part is connected. And then I will send it to each mapper. So they can make sure things are good in there areas.

I hope I didn't hold things up but I finally completed my part and sent it to you. I've had some trouble finding some mapping time to put to use towards finalizing the gameplay, but now you should have it. It appears to be a pretty fat chunk - just going through it as a complete user map from pistol start to end-of-level sector in lieu of the final teleporter to playtest it took me exactly 30 minutes for 240 kills on Let's Rock. I didn't use up all 2.3k walls, and only 150 sectors or so (maybe 180?), format was fun. There's one Battlelord I might want to move during the final pass of the map but otherwise I'm done and really looking forward to seeing who built what.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 10 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

View PostMicky C, on 05 July 2020 - 05:21 AM, said:

I just wonder if there's ever going to be a CBP 9

Beach CBP was still known as CBP9 last I knew of it. That whole thing can burn in hell.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

go download beach cbp from scent88 CGS and let us know what the complete title is......
oh wait, the project leader had me pre-play it for testing and review then refused to let me review it, nvm

What's the deal with this Beach CBP then? It sounds like it ended horribly.

User is offline   Forge 

it's a decent map - a lot of open areas so it's easy to get lost & the combat gets repetitive. Overall it's worth a look

I don't quite know how it turned out aside from seeing one or two pictures, but I didn't have a fun time working on it. The specifics are lost to history, but rules definitely kept changing and eventually they changed so much that it would have required pretty much reworking every single wall, floor and ceiling of my section, as well as having to make sure my machines (4-way elevator, waves) still worked at the end of it. At this point I chose to leave.

Admittedly I did get a kick out of it when someone asked, several months later, why the project was taking so long, only to be told by one of the people still on the project how some 'weird SoS bridge' had broken the map. This was karma, in my mind, because I seem to remember that I explicitly told the people still there to not touch my section, to simply delete it, to not use anything from it as I was going to use it myself, and definitely not to play with the bridge because myself (and probably Lezing, who wasn't part of the project anyway, but I think is aware of this exploit) were the only people who would understand how it actually worked, and that misguided tampering could fuck up the wall structs/arrays and break the entire map. Evidently, somebody didn't listen.
To be clear, I don't hold any grudges against anyone involved with this thing and wish it could have gone better, but I do think withdrawing from the project was the right thing to do.

By contrast, I had a great time working on Duke Hard, even though I had to do pretty much everything at less than 5fps due to computer troubles at the time. Feel a bit bad for going overboard with my truck though.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 12 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

User is offline   Forge 

I made the thread at cgs public access before I was removed from the admin team. Anyone can read how the beach cbp went down.
http://www.scent-88....board,12.0.html
quakis was kicked for not being good enough after the project went from 3 maps to 1. Drek's section was removed for being substandard. I worked on it and tested it for 10 days & got a blurb about minor polish in the template.
In the end the project leader used a private board at cgs that i set up for him and his team, used me to test & polish, then decided he didn't want another 'parkade' issue, so requested that I never review the map & the map never be hosted at cgs until such time as when he gives his blessing.

aside from all that silliness, there were other people that participated in the project that deserve to have their work looked at and enjoyed.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMorpheus Kitami, on 12 July 2020 - 09:59 AM, said:

What's the deal with this Beach CBP then? It sounds like it ended horribly.

Long story short, it started life as an episode of beach themed maps, but ended up as a single map. The maps then had to be stitched together in a consistent way after the fact, which I think was fairly successful. Some of the sections that weren’t included were released as seperate maps, like High Treason’s work. I don’t recall any SOS bridge or any breaking though.

Perhaps I should try playing through the vanilla map and seeing if anything needs fixing. IIRC the map was released back when multiplayer was still being worked on, and there were hopes that it could be played in coop, which would have required further testing. Now that coop is probably never going to be played (even if eduke does fix it), it’s not an issue any more. It’s probably only minor texture tweaks. The map is hosted at MSDN though.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 12 July 2020 - 06:09 PM

• Turok Nukem

View Postck3D, on 10 July 2020 - 10:21 AM, said:

I hope I didn't hold things up but I finally completed my part and sent it to you.

You did not hold us up at all, I have your part and it fits nicely. The point was to have no deadline so we don't feel the pressures and a quick nice map. Just a little update here about the project. All mappers have sent there parts. I am a bit busy so hopefully I have the time this weekend to put it all together as a private beta thing just for all mappers involved to view there own parts and make sure all is well with there parts.

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 16 July 2020 - 09:35 PM

• Turok Nukem

Edit: Wrong post I meant to send a pm to ck3d lol.

I got the map back from jmw. Sent it to starcraftzerg and he will send it back to me tomorrow. If you are prepared with the time to finalize and ensure your part, I can send it to you next. It just depends who is ready.

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 13 August 2020 - 10:07 PM

So many different themes and mapping styles, can't wait to try this.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostSixty Four, on 30 May 2020 - 10:02 PM, said:

Hey I actually was wondering if anyone thinks they could make custom music for this. Remember there is a variety of areas so its not one set atmosphere. Some type of music that can fit many types... Would be cool.

Hey, do you still searching music for this?

I can make some music in exchange of a banner promoting Noise Boulder Records in-game somewhere where it fits, does it sound crazy?

• Turok Nukem

View PostMike Norvak, on 19 August 2020 - 04:23 PM, said:

Hey, do you still searching music for this?

I can make some music in exchange of a banner promoting Noise Boulder Records in-game somewhere where it fits, does it sound crazy?

Of course we can do that. Yes we are still searching for music for this. Its a tough one with all separate environments. So some kind of global sound lol. We are still working on this. It's just that it has grown a little bit passed the original scope but going very well.

• Turok Nukem

Update: Don't think this won't come. Its getting quite close to ready now. Just bigger than planned.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sixty Four: 11 October 2020 - 11:59 PM

Looks interesting.

User is online   Mark 

Certainly not an average square city map. ;)

This post has been edited by Mark: 12 October 2020 - 04:21 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Great to see this is coming together, thanks again for doing this. Also, texture 0 for sT1LL_WAnTeD's sig is straight up trolling my OCD.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options