Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Jolteon 

Testing out a new enemy for my next map... or should I say an unused enemy.

Attached Image: duke0229.png Attached Image: duke0230.png
Attached Image: duke0231.png Attached Image: duke0232.png

Sprites were made by Chip.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Posted Image

User is offline   Merlijn 

WIP:

Attached Image: duke0013.png

User is offline   Sanek 

Looks very familiar! Can't wait to test play it. :thumbsup:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostTea Monster, on 07 August 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Oooh is that what I think it is?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Yes, it's a giant erect schlong. Oshit, spoilers.

Posted Image

User is offline   Merlijn 

View PostSanek, on 09 August 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Looks very familiar! Can't wait to test play it. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's the sequel to Shaky Grounds! Currently at 1300 sectors so it's not done yet, but I'm getting there.
And your hints are as subtle as always, hehe :P

User is offline   Sanek 

What do you think about such way to light the scene? I actually think it looks good...

This is remade, more cramped-up version of the base I made before.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0049.png
  • Attached Image: duke0050.png
  • Attached Image: duke0053.png

User is offline   pmw 

Usually floor shouldn't be that dark...only ceiling. Otherwise looks good. And I like those different textures on vents.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Unless the metal is very dark.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The lighting is generally fine. You'll want some rooms with lights in the middle to add some variety though.

More generally speaking, a lot of the images you put up show fairly rectangular areas, which as a concept are only moderately interesting from an architectural viewpoint.

User is offline   Hank 

@ Sanek - Since you asked about lighting:
Based on my experience, for lighting as such, (fluorescent lights) the light beams look off. Even in a high humidity area. Another catch is that they don't create sharp shadows on the floor, since those lamps are not directional.

It looks cool though, but that's about it.

Maybe, make some spot lights in the centre, and they can have a beam and shadows.

Just saying. :thumbsup:

This post has been edited by Hank: 15 August 2017 - 05:44 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

User is offline   Sanek 

Thanks for the advices, guys! I think I really should add some light in the middle of the room.
BTW, I want to ask for another advice if you don't mind (and also show another pic).

The theme of the map I'm working on right now is the underground cave planet. I already got the idea for a general look of the map, but I can't decide whether it should use jetpack or scuba gear in its inventory.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0057.png

User is offline   Sanek 

View PostSanek, on 16 August 2017 - 04:10 AM, said:

The theme of the map I'm working on right now is the underground cave planet. I already got the idea for a general look of the map, but I can't decide whether it should use jetpack or scuba gear in its inventory.

Never mind, I've already decided that I will go without underwater gig. From water-filled caves we'll go into deep freeze invorement! It's still be blue because it's so cold down there!

And I'm sorry for double-posting. I can't edit my post somehow.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0061.png

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

View PostTea Monster, on 28 July 2017 - 05:43 AM, said:

Normals have become a lot more important in recent years, with work done on games like Alien Isolation and Star Citizen. You can get a lot of your main body shading done with slightly higher poly geometry and just use normal maps for surface detail rather than getting your shapes right.

Posted Image

We tried some of that on the HHR mod, but having to shoot MD3's through NPherno buggered that all up :'(

I've been using this trick for quite a long time. But yeah, it's useless for MD3, at least with existing exporter for 3ds max :thumbsup:

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I hate how in Blender you can only edit them manually each, there's no great magic trick for doing it. Plus it's hidden behind a nasty menu system.

• Polymancer

There are actually a few different ways of fixing that in Blendy.

One is this thing: https://github.com/fedackb/yavne.

And this: http://www.farfarer...._help/index.htm

The other is a new add-on from the GSoC: https://wiki.blender...C_2017/Proposal
Blenderartists thread: https://blenderartis...ing-Tools/page9

If it gets into master, it looks like it will be a much improved solution.

Roma, I didn't know that there was an exporter for Max - nothing modern anyway.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 18 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

• Polymancer

Cut(scene)ing is shipping!

Posted Image

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 18 August 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Cut(scene)ing is shipping!

Posted Image

"Damn, i'm lookin' good!"

Huh?
Posted Image

Another one
Posted Image

User is offline   Sanek 

Lookin' good! Reminds me of EDF Bureau map, but with modern design!

User is offline   David B. 

Hi everyone ;

Some feedback about lighting issues I can't get rid of. You probably remember I was working lastly on controlling SE49 with lightswitch+SE12 to turn it on in the game. In the beginnings it seemed to work properly : )

I also have been using the flashlight (by Darkus) - in replacement of SE12+Lightswitch system - but I still have the same lighting issues with sectors (and also with models that aren't lit). Sectors are lit properly some time, then not anymore.

In fact troubles occurs each time a light source is turned on or off in the game whatever the sytem used.
I have tried to change some parameters on the affected models like cstat 2048 or spritenoshade commands... but unsuccessfully.

Is there possibly a solution or is it also a Polymer issue ?

PS : beside the flashlight, I put separate SE49 in each room to illuminate barely the room when it's not supposed to be lit (Some examples, the player must be able to see something even if the flashlight is not found yet! There are also some moonlight emulation, ...). I was afraid finally those light sources interfers with the "controllable" light source but removing those additionnal sources doesn't fix the problem - excepted maybe for the sector issue - and I'm even not sure of that.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0006.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0007.jpg

This post has been edited by David B.: 26 August 2017 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   Mark 

What is your "maxlights" setting. For my latest map I have it set at 12. In newer Eduke32 revisions there is a slider in the menu to take it up to 10. I had mine set in a cfg file since I had been using an older version at the time.

For the models that don't light properly, load them into a program called Npherno. Then choose to "rebuild normals". Then resave the model. That has corrected problems a number of times for me in the past.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 26 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

• Polymancer

Are your models NPherno'd?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMark., on 26 August 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

For the models that don't light properly, load them into a program called Npherno. Then choose to "rebuild normals". Then resave the model. That has corrected problems a number of times for me in the past.

If that fixes it, use them for now but hold on to your originals.

View PostTea Monster, on 26 August 2017 - 09:43 AM, said:

Are your models NPherno'd?
Yes they are. Most of the time I use it to convert from 3DS.

View PostHendricks266, on 26 August 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

If that fixes it, use them for now but hold on to your originals.
Not exactly, that doesn't fix the problem because it's already coming from Npherno and I always rebuild the normals when I have a 3DS file, before to export to md3.
Nevertheless I have rebuild the normals a second time for the bed and the door models and saw a very small difference but not relevant.

I going now to try an exporter from 3ds max to see if there is some improvements.

View PostMark., on 26 August 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

What is your "maxlights" setting. For my latest map I have it set at 12. In newer Eduke32 revisions there is a slider in the menu to take it up to 10. I had mine set in a cfg file since I had been using an older version at the time.

I'm not using a recent Eduke32 version and I don't know what's the maxlights. How can I see that ?

Edit : light per surface is set to "5"' in the Polymer settings. I suppose that's what you were talking about. I pushed it to ten, the same for shadows with no results.

I have exported a model (bed) directly from 3ds max, but no improvement in the game.

This post has been edited by David B.: 26 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options