Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Mia Max 

Finally I could add a tree model to duke3d.
The model has only ~100 polygons and I think with some work it would perfectly match to duke3d.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also some other tree models. I hope I can make a good looking forest with them.

One more tree model with 6 different pals:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 10 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

That looks pretty cool except that the tree models seem to have no difference in shading whatsoever. I know there is no pixel shading in Duke (yet) but making those trees have a few dark spots and such can't hurt, even if it means lighting won't always look completely correct. (of course if you're gonna put Polymer lighting near forests then forget what I said ;))

This post has been edited by Sangman: 10 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

View PostSangman, on Jul 11 2009, 01:43 AM, said:

That looks pretty cool except that the tree models seem to have no difference in shading whatsoever. I know there is no pixel shading in Duke (yet) but making those trees have a few dark spots and such can't hurt, even if it means lighting won't always look completely correct. (of course if you're gonna put Polymer lighting near forests then forget what I said ;))

I know. I've read in the edukewiki that it is possible to make sprite shade independent from sector shade. But yet, I don't know how this works.

User is offline   Stabs 

put a box around a tree and change the shade in the sky, this wont change the way your sky looks, if you make that box joined to solid walls tho the shade difference in the sky will be shown

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Dan is correct. Sprites take on the shade of the parallaxed sky.

User is offline   Stabs 

another way around which i forgot to mention, if using models, press R on them so they are wall aligned and set the shade manually

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

Or you could change the shade in the def file for that model.

Thank you for your hints.
But I think I will make some different pals for the tree like I did for the other one. I don't know yet.

Anyway, I've added a machinegun, that works like the dpcanon:

Posted Image

But at the moment, it uses the same hud as the canon, but I think I know how I can change that.

I will try to add a lot of models to Duke Plus, and when Deeperthought got more time left, I will send him all.
Then he can take what he likes.

View PostMia Max, on Jul 11 2009, 02:16 AM, said:

I know. I've read in the edukewiki that it is possible to make sprite shade independent from sector shade. But yet, I don't know how this works.

I think you misunderstood me, I meant that the actual skin needs some shading differences because right now if you give it any shade value, the entire tree will be of the same colour and brightness. If you have lots of trees this will make it look like a big green blur.

View PostSangman, on Jul 11 2009, 02:18 PM, said:

I think you misunderstood me, I meant that the actual skin needs some shading differences because right now if you give it any shade value, the entire tree will be of the same colour and brightness. If you have lots of trees this will make it look like a big green blur.

Well, I haven't made the tree model by my own and I don't know how to change shading. But I think it is not possible to improve it a lot, because the model uses only one texture for the leaves.

Ah well then nevermind, as long as you don't put in too many of those trees near eachother it should still look acceptable enough in the end ;)

User is offline   Geoffrey 

I found an old map of mine which I made for the Crime Tc (which is dead) and thought it'd make an excellent addition to the AMCTCs invasion maps - it's not finished yet but I love where the theme's going! I'm going for that backstreet area of a 1980s futuristic city feel.

Attached Image: duke0029.jpgAttached Image: duke0025.jpg

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Crime TC, damn, I think I remember wanting to play that. Looks pretty cool.

My machinegun works now:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMia Max, on Jul 12 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

My machinegun works now:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Cool! I'm guessing you based it on the DP cannon. But what are those glowing things it is shooting?

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 12 2009, 10:52 PM, said:

Cool! I'm guessing you based it on the DP cannon. But what are those glowing things it is shooting?

Yes, it's based on your DP cannon. Damn, that was pretty much work. I've searched in every con file to find what I need.
Then I copied every canonid and named it 'machinegunid' and put it right below cannonid. I made an other con file and just put the whole actor notenemy cannon in there.
In other words, I didn't understand anything. But it works ;)

The gun shoots FIRELASER.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMia Max, on Jul 12 2009, 02:03 PM, said:

Yes, it's based on your DP cannon. Damn, that was pretty much work. I've searched in every con file to find what I need.
Then I copied every canonid and named it 'machinegunid' and put it right below cannonid. I made an other con file and just put the whole actor notenemy cannon in there.
In other words, I didn't understand anything. But it works ;)

The gun shoots FIRELASER.

Well in that case I think there's some bugs that you may not realize yet, but I'll fix them later. Also I think I can make a bullet projectile with tracer streaks instead of the firelaser.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostGeoffrey, on Jul 12 2009, 05:31 PM, said:

I found an old map of mine which I made for the Crime Tc (which is dead) and thought it'd make an excellent addition to the AMCTCs invasion maps - it's not finished yet but I love where the theme's going! I'm going for that backstreet area of a 1980s futuristic city feel.

Attachment duke0029.jpgAttachment duke0025.jpg

It's definitly got a retro-future style going to it ;) kinda reminds me of Blade Runner a little bit.

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 13 2009, 12:40 AM, said:

Well in that case I think there's some bugs that you may not realize yet, but I'll fix them later. Also I think I can make a bullet projectile with tracer streaks instead of the firelaser.

Thanks. Fast moving bullet projectiles that cause more damage would be fine. That firelaser is too slow and weak. Muzzleflash would be nice too.
I think I'll send you a pak with all stuff I got soon.
But like Sangman said, I need to do some shading on the trees first and maybe I find another model. Also a new enemy would be cool.

User is offline   Spiker 

My first attempt at rigging and animation. Any comments or advice are welcome.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mLsWN49b3lg

My first attempt at rigging and animation. Any comments or advice are welcome.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mLsWN49b3lg

The duck dance knight.

It looks awkward yeah and needs work but for a first time I guess that's pretty good.

User is offline   Spiker 

Yeah it's far from perfection, wish I knew which bones should move in each frame and in which direction:P

• Fashionable Modeler

If your program can import bvh's, then you might want to check this site:
http://accad.osu.edu.../mocap_data.htm

There are walkcycles available and some fighting-moves...

User is offline   Spiker 

Yes it can (I use blender). I will try to take advantage of it. Thanks for the link!

User is offline   Spiker 

Wow I've downloaded a running motion (260! frames) If I had for example 700 frames in every model then it would be at least 70mb:P That's not very convinient. Plus is there a way to make the skeleton move in place and not actually run? or should I look for different motion?

And how the hell can I combine those armatures?

This post has been edited by Spiker: 14 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

• Fashionable Modeler

Yeah, you have to modify those things quite a bit. Don't know if it's the best way to animate characters but i think it's worth checking out.

I made the armature stay in the same place by adding Keyframes on the start- and endframe (Press "I" and then choose "Loc" or "LocRot").

And for the running motion: Do you really need all 260 frames? You just need one full cycle that will be repeated.
Then you can cut off the rest. I took a walkcycle out of those bvhs and ended up with 30 frames.
Even if you got that many, you could shrink them horizontally in the Action Editor.

How to combine them? I did that somehow, can't remember exactly how though... It was something in the NLA Editor - Add Action strip
I'll see if i can repeat that.

User is offline   Spiker 

I'm new to all this animation stuff. Yes, if you find out how to combine them I would be very grateful, if not I will have to experiment:)

• Fashionable Modeler

@Spiker: Pm'd you

User is offline   Gambini 

Nice Video Spiker, it looks very good to be a first attemp, the character seems to walk like if he had a pole sticked in the ass ;) but it´s ok if you think that is wearing a big armor.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options