Duke4.net Forums: Civvie's DNF episode - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Civvie's DNF episode

View PostJim Rockford, on 20 October 2019 - 08:21 AM, said:

There's zero evidence of that.

Every screenshot and video that was leaked in 2009 shows sequences and mechanics that cannot be distinguished from the final version. Since what we see is identical to the final version, by induction we must conclude that the rat and turd mechanics were also identical to the final version.

This is confirmed by https://dukenukem.fa...i/History_(DNF)
Note how it says:
November, 2009: Single-player work on Duke Nukem Forever content is complete.
and then:
January, 2010: Triptych Games locks down their single-player version of the game and begins negotiations with Gearbox Software.
The singleplayer portion of the game (including the turd and rat mechanics) was done by November 2009, but it was only two months later that Triptych began the negotiations with Gearbox.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 20 October 2019 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

But we know it's not complete because DNF wasn't even complete when it was released. :o

View PostJim Rockford, on 20 October 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

But we know it's not complete because DNF wasn't even complete when it was released. :o

And guess who we have to blame for that? I'll give you a hint: he's fat and he stated in a press release that DNF was meant to be out early in 1998.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's not true though because the game was in development for two years WITHOUT George. Things could have been substantially improved and in fact it looks like things got worse.

The game was in development for 12 years WITH George, and it was him who decided to restart development a metric fuckton of times. Had he not, the game would have not become the poster child of what not to do when developing a game. So yeah, blame George.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're really dense.

View PostJim Rockford, on 20 October 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

You're really dense.

Yeah. Muscle has a higher density than fat.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Okay retard.

View PostAltered Reality, on 20 October 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

That was because that pile of blubber-for-brains named George had decided to make them features when he restarted development one last time.

View PostJim Rockford, on 20 October 2019 - 08:21 AM, said:

There's zero evidence of that.

I don't know who first thought to make microwaving a static unmoving rat in a cabinet an achievement. It very well might have already been hooked up when Gearbox took over development.

I can only offer the definitive statement as the original implementer of the microwaveable rat and turd tossing... they were intended to be discoverable and not encouraged.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

ANd for gods sakes : a microwave is not to be used to "hair-blow" your wet cat...

View Postgemeaux333, on 20 October 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

ANd for gods sakes : a microwave is not to be used to "hair-blow" your wet cat...

And no matter what Weird Al says, if you stick your head in the microwave, you won't get yourself a tan!

But the microwave doesn't work if the door is not closed...

I actually would like another Duke game just as nuts/bananas as DNF !

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 October 2019 - 10:17 AM

Randy Pitchford was right when he was singing "Nobody likes a bigot unless he is crying" :o

User is offline   ryche 

View PostOccludeOlgaOculus, on 20 October 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

I don't know who first thought to make microwaving a static unmoving rat in a cabinet an achievement. It very well might have already been hooked up when Gearbox took over development.

I can only offer the definitive statement as the original implementer of the microwaveable rat and turd tossing... they were intended to be discoverable and not encouraged.

Yeah discovering what you can do would’ve been more enjoyable than having to do it to unlock an achievement. Like in Duke3D when you find out you can pee in the toilets. Or drinking the water out of the hydrant. Those were “wow” moments.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View Postgemeaux333, on 22 October 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

Randy Pitchford was right when he was singing "Nobody likes a bigot unless he is crying" :o

He gave himself too much credit, people wouldn't like him even if he cried. :D

View PostSledgehammer, on 24 October 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

He gave himself too much credit, people wouldn't like him even if he cried. :o

I don't think he was talking about himself, it was more like generalistic... :D

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 24 October 2019 - 06:29 PM

View PostSledgehammer, on 19 October 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

Big budget companies don't touch platformers.

You are wrong I am affraid : NINTENDO does :o

View Postgemeaux333, on 26 October 2019 - 09:44 AM, said:

You are wrong I am affraid : NINTENDO does :o

Are you referring to Mario or something? I don't really think average people outside of their fans care about Nintendo platformers, Nintendo fanbase is pretty different from fanbases of other consoles and they prefer different kind of games (because most of the Nintendo games are unique on their own). Switch is not considered as true competition of Sony or MS either these days, the biggest reason of course is because it's handheld console. Switch is kinda like Vita, but instead of just small games or indies it also has ton of AA games too.

Anyway, I was waiting for this response and thought I'd see it posted sooner, so I could speak about the topic more. If you think about it, pretty much all of their handheld consoles had platformers due to rather not so powerful hardware, that is compared to the rest of the consoles of course. And ironically some of those consoles were a good excuse for some big (mostly Japanese companies of course) to make platformers too. If it wasn't for Nintendo, Castlevania, for example, would be dead as a series earlier because transition to 3D failed.

But these days no one among AAA companies really gives a shit about platformers anymore, AAA companies prefer to invest heavy budget into blockbaster garbage and nothing else, they want to make open world games or shooters infested with microtransactions because that's what big masses prefer to play on their powerful PC or console hardware, while platformers are seen as some indie shit and niche games at best. Your average PS4 player plays shit like CoD, sports games, open world shit or games with simplified character customization that dares to call itself RPG, not platformers, strategies, JRPGs or CRPGs or some other obscure genres. Well, platformers were treated like this since 2000s, but now they just don't care anymore, maybe because less people buy them, I don't know.

But then, there is likely a problem related to prices too, it's pretty difficult to charge 60 bucks for this kind of games or milk our wallet with microtransactions on top of that, hell, even on Steam forums people complain about some "low budget" games being overpriced just because those games have "bad graphics" alone, even if said games have ton of content in it. Just look at this game, for example, and tell me, would you personally spend 60 bucks for it? It has regional pricing issue, but if we ignore it and pretend it cost $60 or equivalent to your regional price, would you? As an average player who is not huge fan of JRPG. I personally think you would skip it at best for such price. This game is really niche as fuck.

Actually, the last platformer made by AAA studio I can really think of (in-house) was Rayman Legends and the studio that made it was actually killed by Ubisoft afterwards (the engine now is pretty much dead despite the fact that it had potential), I'm absolutely sure that Ubisoft like the rest of the companies wanted bigger money and more sales so they just axed those guys to save money and focus on shit that really matters in their opinion: typical big budget AAA trash.

So, no one really makes platformers aside from indies and AA studios these days, especially not the likes of Gearbox, 2K, Take-Two, EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Sony, Blizzard, Konami, you name it, and if Nintendo decided to compete with Sony with MS they would drop platformers too and focus on shit that's popular: sports games, open world games, shooters, pseudo-RPGs, and then they would charge you over 60 bucks for that shit.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 26 October 2019 - 11:30 AM

Nintendo succeed because there are a markets that no one else fill, thats why, and their fanbase is important enough (euphemism) to safely exclude their games from the "niche" category !
If the others are jumping from the top of a cliff, will you follow them ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 26 October 2019 - 12:00 PM

I think you're missing the point. Just to make it clear, "niche" doesn't mean bad, if anything, it's arguably better than products aimed at mass consumers because most of the time such things tend to be of a lower quality, plus niche fanbases are more dedicated to their favorite things unlike mass consumers.. Each group deserves their favorite games and that's why Japanese entertainment industry (and a few others) is superior to American in general. Also, what you said was true for Vita too at some point, it was a niche platform full of niche games and Sony thought they didn't make enough money from it, mainly because it failed in US, so they killed it too.

But anyway, it doesn't really matter what I do, in the end, platformers is still a niche genre, even if I decide to jump from the top of a cliff, it still will be niche. And you're asking this question the wrong man because guess what, I'm the one who likes to play platformers, maybe you just didn't read what I said, I thought it was clear. I've got this niche thing not too long ago, by the way, had to ask friends from abroad to get it since they decided not to sell it in Japan. That's not platformer, basically a Harvest Moon game with Doraemon in it. Apparently some consider it way too expensive. lol

The point is, AAA studios may invest their money into platformers only if it becomes insanely popular like AAA shit or if we get back to 16-bit era, this is just a reality. I say what I say not because I hate platformers or don't want Duke game like Manhattan Project, again, it's one of my favorite genres, this is just how it simply works, unfortunately.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 26 October 2019 - 02:16 PM

I didn't say that niche is bad, and those who are jumping from the top of a cliff are actually those who aim mass consumers (because by trying to content everyone you end up more lonely than Tarzan without Cheetah, its a principle verified in every single domains of human relationships)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 26 October 2019 - 09:41 PM

I didn't say that you said that it's bad. :o Just re-read my posts carefully.

Nintendo games are never niche and always great, that how Nintendo is Nintendo !

View Postgemeaux333, on 24 October 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

I don't think he was talking about himself, it was more like generalistic... :o

View PostOccludeOlgaOculus, on 29 October 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

View PostOccludeOlgaOculus, on 01 November 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 01 November 2019 - 10:35 PM

I have one out of three problems right now.
  • Too much hair flowing from my chin.
  • That was a pretty great video.
  • How many females are responsible for search #1.
    Posted Image

Just kidding, there will never be enough hair flowing from my chin.

Edit:
No... now the second video you added is a new 2rd problem.
And now I'm starting to get concerned that search #3 is coming from males.

This post has been edited by OccludeOlgaOculus: 01 November 2019 - 10:56 PM

View PostOccludeOlgaOculus, on 01 November 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

I have one out of three problems right now.
  • Too much hair flowing from my chin.
  • That was a pretty great video.
  • How many females are responsible for search #1.
    Posted Image

Just kidding, there will never be enough hair flowing from my chin.

Edit:
No... now the second video you added is a new 2rd problem.
And now I'm starting to get concerned that search #3 is coming from males.

You must be talking about the terminator video with french voices of Duke in french DNF...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 02 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

What would be great :
by modding the game, make Duke Nukem Forever and The Doctor Who Cloned Me to be like A Week In Paradise is for Postal 2... So we can play DNF and then The doctor who cloned me in the same playthrough, and only when you have finished the whole playthroug you get the outro "I am gonna run for president"

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options