• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Civvie's DNF episode

It's time

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'm consistently surprised at Duke fans who do not understand what The Hive was going for and how it's no different than Lunar Apocalypse, which is not anyone's favourite Duke3D episode obviously, but they don't list that factor as a reason. Just because the graphics are low res and pixely doesn't change the fact that it's identical in tone to The Hive which they somehow revile for its content. I agree the tone is so violently different from the rest of the game (right up until the end of that chapter with the hair-brained dialogue writing....and also the wall boobs which is just...so odd and off the wall (no pun intended)) but in and of itself I don't see anything wrong with it.

But other than that it was a great video. Happy to see he liked Doctor Who Cloned Me too, for the most part.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 02 October 2019 - 08:51 AM

MusicallyInspired, on 02 October 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'm consistently surprised at Duke fans who do not understand what The Hive was going for and how it's no different than Lunar Apocalypse, which is not anyone's favourite Duke3D episode obviously, but they don't list that factor as a reason. Just because the graphics are low res and pixely doesn't change the fact that it's identical in tone to The Hive which they somehow revile for its content. I agree the tone is so violently different from the rest of the game (right up until the end of that chapter with the hair-brained dialogue writing....and also the wall boobs which is just...so odd and off the wall (no pun intended)) but in and of itself I don't see anything wrong with it.

But other than that it was a great video. Happy to see he liked Doctor Who Cloned Me too, for the most part.

There's a big step between having abstract static images of captured women, and having somewhat realistic models of women who audibly cry in pain and end up birthing aliens ingame.
But the inclusion of that alone would not have been that gross had the designers actually treated the situation properly.

Instead, Duke acts like a total dickwad as he sees his 2 girlfriends (for lack of a better term) brutally die, and cracks jokes about wall tits and sphincter doors.
I'm not saying he should have been a sobbing crybaby in this section of the game, but actually being serious, where he doesn't say much more than the occasional "damn" or "damn it" (like he did in Duke 3D in fact when babes were killed) would have made this entire section a lot less out of character.

Come to think of it, Duke acts weirdly sociopathic throughout the entire game. Why does putting a rat in the microwave give him ego? Then his reaction to the Twins and Dylan dying, and he doesn't really save anyone without saving his own ass.

• The Sarien Encounter

That's because women wrote all the dialogue. :o But seriously, the writing and the level design were certainly at odds with eachother throughout the entire campaign and that's not the designers' fault. I maintain that there's nothing wrong the horror setting of The Hive as a plot device any more than Lunar Apocalypse whether the bad dialogue is there or not. One of the lines Duke does say in DNF if you kill one of the women is "It's better this way" or something to that effect. The whole experience is supposed to make you angry at the aliens. This isn't the first time something that shocking has been used in a story. Duke even effectively delivers at least one line when the twins are first taken that really sold to me that he cared about all the women. But again, the sloppy haphazard writing by people who obviously never took ANY part of the game seriously in the least is what ruins the experience. It's not the content of The Hive (but yeah, the wall boobs are weird).

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Douche Nukem.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're right, as a level, the Hive is fine. It just lacks subtlety. DNF as a whole, it just lacks subtlety. Civvie knocks the ball out of the park again. I love his reviewing style, because he doesn't talk about how bad games are. He talks about how good they should have been. DNF is an absolute travesty of an experience.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

MusicallyInspired, on 02 October 2019 - 08:50 AM, said:

I'm consistently surprised at Duke fans who do not understand what The Hive was going for and how it's no different than Lunar Apocalypse,

Haha, I don't remember Lunar Apocalypse having tits on walls or cringe inducing, embarrassingly tasteless "jokes" that make you want to vomit.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Zaxx, on 02 October 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

embarrassingly tasteless "jokes" that make you want to vomit.

Those are everywhere in the whole game, to be fair. Jon St. John VA work is the worst thing about those jokes though, even if they wrote better jokes it still would be a total dogshit.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 02 October 2019 - 07:11 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Civvie is always so on point.
I do however wished he would do more obscure DOS games or shitty games from the last few generations.

I've had more fun watching him play Capstone, the pinnacle of entertainment, games than the more well received and known games like Doom. Wish he'd do more of those.
Always dig his content, though.

DOS games, along with Windows 95/98 and 3.1x games too would be nice to see, there is a lot of interesting shit in there. The last few generations are meh and were done to death compared to the old PC games.

• The Sarien Encounter

Zaxx, on 02 October 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

Haha, I don't remember Lunar Apocalypse having tits on walls or cringe inducing, embarrassingly tasteless "jokes" that make you want to vomit.

Did you like read the first sentence of my post and insta-reply? I agree the jokes and the wall boobs are off. I just don't think you can judge the whole chapter based on that because it's throughout the whole game. But somehow because of the content in this chapter everyone rails on it harder than any other part of the game to the point of calling it sexist. The writing was sexist. The wall boobs are weird. The level is fine. Why is this so hard to understand?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I read the whole comment, I just don't think that any of the points you bring up work. Horror setting? Where? The babes are tied to giant dicks for God's sake, the doors look like giant pussies and there are tits on walls, that's scary for you? Guess maybe you're right in the sense that the dev intention was different than what's there in the finished game but ultimately that doesn't matter when you get attacked by monsters that look like testicles and they shoot cum at you.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 October 2019 - 06:00 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think the Hive is just where DNF's bad writing/ideas hits it's peak, and the bad things are universally agreed to be bad. Most of the bad parts of DNF are arguable, some people like the vehicles or the shrunken sections or Titty City. The Hive has many things upon which everyone agrees are terrible.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The weird moment is definitely when the sisters die and Duke is just doing this cheap one-liner as if nothing special happened. I mean, these girls sucked little Duke at the beginning of the game, so big Duke might have shown a bit more compassion. Even if they sucked at sucking.

Anyway, that's where I knew for sure they got Duke's personality wrong.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I will use Civvie's video as a substitute for ever playing this colossal trainwreck of a game.

User is offline   Avoozl 

Doom64hunter, on 02 October 2019 - 10:20 AM, said:

Instead, Duke acts like a total dickwad as he sees his 2 girlfriends (for lack of a better term) brutally die, and cracks jokes about wall tits and sphincter doors.
I guess Randy wanted Duke to be more like him.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Civvie has nailed the whole sordid, sorry mess to the wall. Good job!

Saying that The Hive "Lacks subtlety" is like describing the Pacific Ocean as "A bit damp."

User is offline   Mark 

Zaxx said..." you get attacked by monsters that look like testicles and they shoot cum at you"

I'll bet Jimmy ran around that map with his mouth open. :o

I bet that section was too shitty for his taste (like almost the entire game). :o

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 04 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I only suck tranny cocks.

That's racist.

User is offline   Mark 

See, even he has standards.

User is offline   Marya 

NightFright, on 03 October 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

The weird moment is definitely when the sisters die and Duke is just doing this cheap one-liner as if nothing special happened. I mean, these girls sucked little Duke at the beginning of the game, so big Duke might have shown a bit more compassion. Even if they sucked at sucking.

Anyway, that's where I knew for sure they got Duke's personality wrong.
i've heard bad things about DNF ,but i've never played it, but yeah you'd think something like that would give duke a little more anger maybe one of his classic lines "Your gonna die for that." or maybe "BITCH, your gonna die for that" (refering to the queen)

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The jump animation of Duke really look like Beetlejuice ?

I don't know what wrong with DNF, its just keep getting funnier every single time I play it :P :o :D

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 06 October 2019 - 09:09 AM

If The Doctor Who Cloned Me give good hopes a new Duke Nukem game is possible, then why just not give to the creators of this DLC the right to do a new game ?

User is offline   Tekedon 

gemeaux333, on 06 October 2019 - 10:56 AM, said:

If The Doctor Who Cloned Me give good hopes a new Duke Nukem game is possible, then why just not give to the creators of this DLC the right to do a new game ?

George Broussard? :o It was mostly scrapped content from DNF made by 3D Realms.

User is offline   Noddy 

A new game could be made if they want to, it's just that I think Gearbox would probably mess it up, and 2k is doesn't see it as profitable. Well, that's at least my understanding of the situation. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to buy the license to Duke and give it to someone who understands the character and franchise (my suggestion would be Voidpoint).

I was actually talking about those who made the DLC "in form".

Not profitable ? Didn't 2K made a massive profit back when it was released... and were bragging about it ?

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 06 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

Noddy, on 06 October 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

A new game could be made if they want to, it's just that I think Gearbox would probably mess it up, and 2k is doesn't see it as profitable. Well, that's at least my understanding of the situation. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to buy the license to Duke and give it to someone who understands the character and franchise (my suggestion would be Voidpoint).
(Emphasis mine)

Going by the public comments made by Randy I would assume that 2K's publishing rights do not extent to anything beyond DNF. So 2K would not need to involved in a new Duke game. Interestingly, Gearbox has worked with 2K on three franchises but Gearbox owns them all.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, 2k only ever had the exclusive publishing rights for DNF.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options