• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion Fury Mapping

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Edited by: Mblackwell

Ion Fury mapping information is very WIP. Documentation and some samples are available from the following website:
https://furymap.lerppu.net/

Please feel free to ask questions here or on Discord (either community or 3D Realms). Oasiz helped with most of the effects work as I programmed them, and therefore was a big aid to all of the mappers and came up with some strategies to accomplish all sorts of things (seemingly unlimited it can feel like) with the effectors that were cooked up.

Original Post
Can we get a proper sub forum please?
Instead of re-posting a link to this every time the page flips.

View PostDavoX, on 16 August 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

View PostLeoD, on 18 August 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

Yes. Get Voidpoint's "Ion Fury Level Editor" from here. It's actually the same Mapster32 executable as in the corresponding synthesis build. But you need the accompanying files to work with IF maps.

(link has a wallpaper too)

View Postoasiz, on 17 August 2019 - 12:56 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Slightly outdated but I will work on the documentation now.

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 21 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostFox, on 18 August 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

Spoiler

Definitely useful for mapping

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 18 August 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

Definitely useful for mapping
already on mapping i see, Good luck and Have fun guys.

User is offline   MC84 

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm pretty excited to be able to play with the added functionality of the IF editor - is it likely that the new effects/sector effectors will be usable at some point with the standard duke palette and tiles? I've probably created over a thousand textures that conform to the duke3d palette and so I'd prefer to keep using the duke3d version of mapster...

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

New effectors will be more or less challenging/hard to port over to duke. Only really the editing scripts can be ported over without much trouble.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I know this is most likely a long ways off, but I'm gonna make sure I'm ready for when multiplayer comes out. This is a widely known dukematch map. Y'all ain't my friend if you don't know what this is.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Radar: 19 August 2019 - 07:10 PM

very nice :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by Truck Stop Santa Claus: 19 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Do you mind editing that post to remove the quoted image from one post above?

I hope some of the documentation will be on blending. This smooth shadow sprite is remarkable.

Posted Image

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Nice, having a look at the editor here. Hmm interesting.

User is offline   MC84 

View Postoasiz, on 19 August 2019 - 01:13 PM, said:

New effectors will be more or less challenging/hard to port over to duke. Only really the editing scripts can be ported over without much trouble.

Ok no worries, thanks for clearing that up

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostRadar, on 19 August 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

I know this is most likely a long ways off, but I'm gonna make sure I'm ready for when multiplayer comes out. This is a widely known dukematch map. Y'all ain't my friend if you don't know what this is.

Posted Image

iodanzig?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMicky C, on 19 August 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

I hope some of the documentation will be on blending.

Blend modes:
0: Alpha 33% (normal)
1: 32 Alpha in Steps of 1/64
129: Screen
130: Multiply
255: Additive

To edit sprites blend (qwerty keyboard layout): alt+q or F8
For maskwall: alt+m or F8.

For maskwalls you have to enter the value as negative (-130 instead of 130, for instance); and also maskwalls don't have "blend" so "extra" was hijacked for it, as a result maskwalls will not appear in their blend mode in mapster32, only in game.
Since you have no visual feedback when enditing maskwalls' blends in the editor, if you don't want to waste time launching the game over and over just so you can edit the maskwall and see what it looks like, the trick is to use a temp sprite of the same picnum to get the visual right in the editor and then apply that to your maskwall when satisfied.

Make sure to try combining blend modes with different PALs, or even picnums. Some miracles can happen.

Edit:

View PostRadar, on 19 August 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

https://i.imgur.com/MbukWCR.png

I don't remember the name of the map, but I vividly remember enjoying this map a lot with friends
Spoiler
Hope you'll finish it!
Or maybe I got the wrong map here :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by MetHy: 20 August 2019 - 12:25 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostStriker, on 20 August 2019 - 12:17 AM, said:

iodanzig?

Iodanzig was the first, and much less common, version.

This is iod2. :lol:

View PostMetHy, on 20 August 2019 - 12:19 AM, said:

I don't remember the name of the map, but I vividly remember enjoying this map a lot with friends
Spoiler
Hope you'll finish it!
Or maybe I got the wrong map here :dukecigar:

This is a Duke map that I'm converting to IF style texturing and geometry, but it could have been based on a Half Life map. Were you playing a vanilla HL map, or a user map? If it was a user map, the Duke version probably came first.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

For blends, I highly recommend trying this: take a dark glass sprite, use a PAL over 64 (inverse) this makes it bright, then use blend 130 (ALT Q) and make it transparent :dukecigar:
This works even in classic and can give you the strong tinted glass look that we use in many places.
Keep in mind that MASKWALL will always be without any blend previews, you have to check it ingame!

130 = anything that is white turns to transparent, highly recommended to check with anything that has a B&W gradient
129/255 = Use with anything that is WHITE, opposite of 130.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View PostMarya, on 20 August 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

If you liked the game then please respect and keep this OT stuff out.
This is a thread about mapping for the game and I'd rather focus on trying to write a guide for mapping than moderate :/

EDIT: https://furymap.lerppu.net/
Slowly adding stuff here, you can glance at the palette swaps at least in a bit more visual way.

If people have any questions meanwhile, please let me know and I will gladly answer!

User is offline   Forge 

Cover blending next please, if it's convenient. That seems pretty interesting

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 August 2019 - 03:49 PM

User is offline   Hank 

... and maybe the added (extended) SE and ST sets. :(

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 August 2019 - 05:34 PM

yeah I've been playing around with it too
so much new shit to learn :(
Posted Image

update I add a few more touches to this map. I might add something to spawn more "balls" but I'm probably going to move on to a more serous map
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostTruck Stop Santa Claus, on 20 August 2019 - 08:06 PM, said:

I might add something to spawn more "balls" but I'm probably going to move on to a more serous map

Try having a switch, or something, linked to a R2 or a SP+ that spawns the severe'd head or the skull's picnum. You can set it so the player can use it as many times as they'd like.

For extra fun, use a MFX+ with the same channel that triggers the "whistle" sound.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Protip with respawns, you can point at any R2 compatible object and press CTRL ALT SHIFT Q to transform between a sprite and respawn (you can also upgrade legacy ones).
R2 allows you to pass pretty much every tag in the game (patrols, squad tags, etc..) and can be remote triggered.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

https://furymap.lerp...rences/blending

Updated with some of the blending examples.
I will add a screenshot or two near the from our maps to showcase the before/after perhaps.

• Honored Donor

Interesting. What’s the practical difference between screen and additive, and in what circumstances would you use one over the other?

I found surprisingly little information on such a comparison from google.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 21 August 2019 - 03:42 PM

View Postoasiz, on 21 August 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

Protip with respawns, you can point at any R2 compatible object and press CTRL ALT SHIFT Q to transform between a sprite and respawn (you can also upgrade legacy ones).
R2 allows you to pass pretty much every tag in the game (patrols, squad tags, etc..) and can be remote triggered.

I tried that but got some weird results
Tiny little heads, that slowly fly up into space :(

New map
this one is going to have lots of zombies
Posted Image

Comment moved to the Ion Fury topic.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 21 August 2019 - 08:59 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Thank you for making that, but I have the same question as

View PostMicky C, on 21 August 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

Interesting. What’s the practical difference between screen and additive, and in what circumstances would you use one over the other?

I found surprisingly little information on such a comparison from google.

^this
they're basically the same description and the same example pictures. I'm not understanding the differnce unless there's a specific application where one would be used over the other - like in addition to a pal or other modifier

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

screen makes whites more translucent, additive makes blacks more translucent, that's the very tl;dr version I think.

• Honored Donor

Screen also makes black more translucent. You're thinking of multiply.

Screen and additive have the exact same description copied and pasted. Additive even says it's the inverse of multiply, which isn't correct (that's screen). My untrained eye is unable to see any difference in the images either.

User is offline   MetHy 

I genuinely don't think we've used blend 255 (additive) in any maps, at least I haven't, although it's probably used for some gameplay stuff.

In short, on the mapping side, 129 (screen) was mostly used for gradients, lights or similar effect (the "fog" effect on the walls in z1a4; or used in combination with paletted sectors like coloured lights or nukage); and 130 (multiply) for sprite shadows and to make tainted windows.

A nice little tip Oasiz shared to me once is using Alpha blend 1 to make sprites 100% invisible. For instance if you look at the broken glass for the vat at the end of the train level (z4a1), the broken glass is a maskwall, so proper collision was impossible; so I faked it using sprites with a glass property, sprites of difference sizes and given blend alpha 1 to make them invisible. As a result, it looks like only the "glass" part of the maskwall can be shot.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options