Duke4.net Forums: Questions about texture filtering menu settings - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions about texture filtering menu settings

Hi, some quick questions about texture filtering, the options in display setup etc, using the latest eduke32 build (r7395). Just some stuff I've never really delved into.

I love how eDuke32 looks, and polymost is my favorite renderer. I've had it on "classic" texture mode and 16x anisotropy forever. But I realized anisotropy is blue, with the rest of the menu text being red. If I change texture mode to "filtered" anisotropy is in red font. And I can't change it from 16x if it's blue font, on "classic". This makes me realize that things in blue font on the menu are probably disabled? So I guess I haven't been using anisotropy all this time.

And some other questions, on the menu I can only choose "classic" which disables anisotropy, or "filtered" which makes every sprite and texture blurry. But on the wiki you have several other settings, similar to ones I'm familiar with from gzDoom. https://wiki.eduke32...iki/Video_setup

"Texture Filter blurs highres textures to "smooth over" visible pixels. Six filter types are available, Nearest (basic), Nearest-MM-Nearest, Nearest-MM-Linear, Linear, Bilinear and Trilinear. For the original 8-bit art, Nearest-MM-Linear is highly recommended. For highres art, Trilinear is recommended."

Will these settings be added to the menu sometime, since they're main features? And I figure if I switch it to Nearest-MM-Linear or Nearest-MM-Nearest in console that'll enable anisotropy, and maybe be the best look? Which do you think looks best? I like pixel art and sprites, but as smooth and unflickery/shimmer-y view of wall textures in the distance. Though what's odd is I've never noticed far away textures being blurry in eduke32 polymost, so that's why I had assumed anisotropy really was on 16x, even though blue in the menu. Since it's openGL there must be some kind of texture filtering on by default in "classic" texture mode with polymost?

Another question is about palette emulation. That is also blue on the polymost setup menu, even though it says "on", and if I click it I can't change it. Is there a way to have that setting enabled in polymost?

And one more random detail, I notice r_usenewshading is set to 4 in console by default, I guess that's the best setting for that going by the wiki. Also I see r_texfilter is set to 0 in console by the way, described as gl_nearest but without mentioning mipmap. r_usetileshades 2 is on, I assume this doesn't conflict with palette emulation.

So pretty much, I'm guessing I'd want Nearest-MM-Linear or Nearest-MM-Nearest, and with anisotropy then enabled? And also which do you like and/or recommend? And which configurations allow palette emulation to be enabled? And seems these should be added to the menu. Well, there's my rambley post, thanks for all the work on mighty eduke32.

edit: from messing around with these settings in console, I gather you can have palette emulation in r_texfilter 0 mode, it just seems to be a bug in the menu that you can't change that setting while in that mode. And even though mode 2 (MM-filter-nearest) is what typically seems the best (in gzDoom for example), 0 looks really good to me for some reason.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 12 March 2019 - 01:38 AM

User is offline   Mark 

All those filter options used to be available from the main menu. Not any more. I have no idea why all the changes have been made over the years concerning the display and other menu options. Some may be for technical reasons and some may be for dev preferences. I don't know.

This post has been edited by Mark: 12 March 2019 - 06:58 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Texture filtering doesn't work with palette emulation at the moment. A commit I have in my tree currently removes the options from the menu temporarily until a custom shader-based texture filtering implementation can be added.

TerminX, on 12 March 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Texture filtering doesn't work with palette emulation at the moment. A commit I have in my tree currently removes the options from the menu temporarily until a custom shader-based texture filtering implementation can be added.

Interesting, for me it seems to work at first glance at least. I test it by going to a dark alley like in Hollywood Holocaust, and turning palette emulation on and off. It's notably darker with it on. My texfilter mode is currently on 2 (gl_nearest_mipmap_nearest), and palette emulation on has visible effects. And those effects are still there even on r_texfilter 0 as well, with the darker alley. Does it not work in other ways, so should I not be using palette emulation at the moment? And thanks for all excellent work on eduke32 and everything.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 12 March 2019 - 04:15 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Darker is the correct appearance--the shading is intended to match classic mode so that the games running on the engine are displayed as accurately as possible. Another commit that will go in soon implements the distance fog using the shade tables as well. The entire "palette emulation" option is going away because it's no longer just emulation, but proper implementation of the shading using the palette and shade tables and operating on indexed color textures, just like in the old days.

Since you said texture filtering doesn't work with palette emulation at the moment, but I do still see it working via this darker appearance, in several texture modes, I'm not sure what that means? The stuff you're working on does sound very cool though. When it's out will it be available in the menu or we'll hear about, or will it be a behind the scenes kind of thing, like r_usenewshading?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options