Duke4.net Forums: The ESRGAN AI Upscale non-Duke thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The ESRGAN AI Upscale non-Duke thread

User is online   Phredreeke 

It's not the only model in the upscale process. I never use Nickelback by itself, always with something to depixelize the image before processing. I'll see about uploading some pics of the upscale at that part of the process. Also worth mentioning is people on Discord said they'd prefer more gritty than cartoonish upscales.

Interpolating with XBRDD is generally to bring stability to the model. I'll also make sure to put up some examples of having it upscale the difference image vs using it raw.

Edit: Here's a slide-over comparison https://imgsli.com/ODYzMjI add-proc2 is with the difference mask upscaled with xbrdd-spongebob reloaded. add-proc1 simply used a bilinear upscale of the difference mask. the other two are self-explanatory I think

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 14 December 2021 - 03:16 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I just learned that the creator of original ESRGAN released a new tool called Real-ESRGAN. Has anyone tried this yet? The portable version does not work for me because apparently I don't have a suitable GPU.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 31 December 2021 - 02:46 AM

You can run it your browser here

This is what Joey on the Discord had to say about it

Real-ESRGAN is the same arch as regular esrgan technically btw, it just has renamed layers. Except for the "video" models, which use a VGG-based architecture

Posted Image

Bottom half is all AI.

Link if you wanna try it out yourself

I must be doing something wrong because the site gives me an error. Should I delete the lower half and fill in a specific colour?

No, it blanks the lower half automatically.

Hmm, that's what I assumed but somehow it did not work. Maybe try again later.

I remembered how you used the NMKD DeGif model in an attempt to upscale small Daggerfall NPPC flats, and gave it a go in trying to clean up certain dithered sprites from Aleona's Tales. I scaled both an NMKD DeGif upscale and a PixelPerfect 4x one back to the original dimensions and blended them with G'MIC. I think it worked rather fine: side-by-side comparison.
Attached Image: foundry.png

I used GPEN to upscale the faces in the end credit screens of Duke3D (posting these here and not the horror thread because the results were actually good, and yes I’m aware that the photos used for these exist in higher resolution already, I just did it as a test)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Slide over for the second

Seems to work pretty well!

I’m bumping this thread because of a discovery I and VGames did when discussing upscales, rather than just unsightly stuff from various neural networks

Chainner let’s you use ESRGAN models for upscaling the alpha channel. This doesn’t produce very nice looking results when upscaling sprites though.

I suggested he’d use the Unresize model in chainner rather than my downscaling script. To my surprise it smoothed out the previously harsh and jagged edges of the upscale.

Worth considering, especially with all the trouble we’ve had with making sprite masks

IIRC that ESRGAN build that I found a while back did a pretty decent job with upscaling the alpha channel. What was it called again? ESRGAN-Joey IIRC.

I ran a couple of textures through this upscaler guided by Stable Diffusion

https://imgsli.com/MTQ0ODA5
https://imgsli.com/MTQ0ODAz

(attaching the upscale textures as a backup in case imgsli takes the pages down, which I noticed they've done to older comparisons)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tile0103 rock wall.png
  • Attached Image: tile2679 forest.png

More upscales using SD-Upscaler
https://imgsli.com/MTQ2Mjcz
https://imgsli.com/MTQ2Mjc0
https://imgsli.com/MTQ2Mjc1
https://imgsli.com/MTQ2Mjc2

Very impressive! The trees in the foreground of that pic came out especially good! Have you tried sprites with this one?

See the problem with using it with sprites is the same as with diffuse-the-rest in that it's not possible to set the seed. Which really sucks because while I didn't do much testing with sprites, it did great on skyboxes, when it wanted to.

You mean the results you've shown are the best you picked from several attempts of running the same texture through the AI?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 10 January 2023 - 01:51 AM

No, I only ran these through once, other than the wooden crate which I ran through an ESRGAN model (SSAntialias9x) first to smooth out the black lines on the second attempt. Attaching the first attempt so you can see why

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tile0929 Wooden crate.png

Attempted using CLIP interrogator to get new prompts to use with different diffusion AIs
Spoiler

Do you recognise what textures they're mimicking without looking at the file names?

Edit: Another one

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 14 January 2023 - 07:47 AM

AI Kyle Katarn by Karjala
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That looks quite nice actually.

If he resembles Tom Cruise it's cause Top Gun was one of the input prompts.

BTW link to the AI used to generate the prompts

Edit: SD Upscaler combined with promps from CLIP interrogator https://imgsli.com/MTQ4MDA0

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 17 January 2023 - 11:50 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

He actually looks close to his Jedi Knight appearance I feel. His chin is a tad narrower, but still it's really reminiscent of Jason Court.

Posted Image
HD Emperor Palpatine
Source texture
Posted Image

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The Asian version of it. Xīngqiú Dàzhàn!
(Interesting how graphical ornaments became part of the robe, btw...)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 January 2023 - 02:33 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Hah I love how it interpreted the V-shaped bevel line in the center and other angled trim as lining on his robes. Nice.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 January 2023 - 09:41 PM

Protogen with tile0963 and prompt from Clip interrogator of the HRP counterpart

Posted Image

HUT HUT HUT!

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 19 January 2023 - 08:13 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The babe image itself is actually quite good. Also, the face looks surprisingly... "plastic". As if it had some kind of 3D effect applied. Pretty neat!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 January 2023 - 04:41 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

She must play football.

Here's a few SW textures I had SD "reimagine"

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options