Duke4.net Forums: SIGIL - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SIGIL  "Split from "John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS""

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postjohnnythewolf, on 07 June 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

Increasing the speed of demons and spectres seems like a bad idea, as their pathfinding is already not the best and as such they move like headless chicken. Plus they just look ridiculous moving this fast; you might as well play while listening to the Benny Hill theme song!

Is there not another command that makes enemies more aggressive without increasing their movement speed?

The fast monsters option has been in there (almost) from the start, it's enabled by default when you play on N!, so UV-fast is like N! but without the monsters respawning.

I never noticed any problems with monster movement when playing on N!, I think it's more important, gameplay and difficulty wise, that they shoot faster with the -fast setting.

As a matter of fact, Doomwiki specifies that increased movement speed only affects Pinkies and Spectres while other monsters move less and shoot more, while projectiles move faster.

Try it, it's cool.

As for your question, some of the less conservative source ports may have other, optional tweaks to the monster AI but I haven't really been interested if there are any, or what they might do. It may be good for a mod but not for a classic experience.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Wow, I never thought I would still live to see that day, but:

"Your order has been scheduled for shipment:
SIGIL Beast Box PC Megawad
Shipped: 2019-06-11"

Now that I have played the whole thing at least four times, my urge to have it is actually not THAAAAT big any more, I gotta admit. :D Anyway, it's still about the goodies and the huge amount of cash I had invested into this, so... maybe if any of you guys are still waiting for this, you may get your order in the not-too-distant future as well.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 June 2019 - 10:41 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Just had a confirmation of shipping for the Beast Box as well. I'm guessing it'll be a week or so before it gets here.

• The Truth is in here

My Beast Box finally arrived. In the meantime, these sell for 1.3-4k USD on ebay. Unfortunately, this made me decide to keep my copy sealed as a future investment. Even though I don't think I'll part with it unless it's down to either selling that or living underneath a bridge.

As for the previous episodes, OneManDoom published his detailed thoughts.
https://onemandoom.b...l-sigilwad.html

User is offline   Malgon 

Pretty excited, as the Beast Box finally arrived for me earlier today. Even though everyone has probably seen photos of it by now, and in better quality, here's some as promised (sorry for the crappy lighting, flash, slightly out of focus etc.)

Posted Image
Full album

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Does anyone know of a consistent strategy for the cyber in Unspeakable Persecution (E5M6)? I've played through sigil a few dozen times by now (trying to memorize it to the same level I did the main campaigns), and that one in particular always gives me a lot of trouble (and the one in Realm of Iblis (E5M9), but I think I've begun to grasp how to fight it). I feel like I've only ever beaten him because I got lucky. Not because I did it right.

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah. I lured him back towards the stairs, seems pretty effective since he won't climb them all the way and you can take cover behind the corner, see at 6m25:

There is also the boring way: shoot him while you're on some of the remparts and he's below you, but it's still a dangerous tactic since the rocket splashes can still hit you under some circumstances; and I call it the boring way because it's super hard to get safe BFG shots from there so the best bet is to go with the shotgun. In short, try the first tactic first.

Edit: once I lured him here, hid behind this corner and was able to get 2 full and safe BFG shots to kill him; thought it was a great tactic the moment that happened, but was never able to repro it; hence why I just go for the stairs now, much easier to repro

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Screenshot_Doom_20190811_135737.png

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 August 2019 - 04:00 AM

I have done that first tactic a fair few times. But the passage is so narrow that it's almost inevitable to take either splash damage or to just eat the rocket (and probably die in one hit).

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah I usually always try to avoid any dmg, but in this case I pretty much gave up on trying to dodge all splash dmg and just went with survival instead. The entire encounter is pretty tough and if there is a safe exploit easy to pull, it's hard to find.

• The Truth is in here

In case you have not noticed yet, Sigil v1.2 is in the works. You can see the changelog and download a non-final version of Sigil v1.2 over at Doomworld. According to the impressive list, a lot of the criticism coming from the community has been addressed and should make the episode finally fully enjoyable for pretty much everybody.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 August 2019 - 07:24 AM

map7:
- added UV cyb thing 390 that comes out when the barons do near the red skull key

Well, damnit.

User is offline   MetHy 

Huh, I see he's added more ammo... I hope it's not too much, supply management on pistol start was one of the best thing Sigil had to offer in my opinion.

He's also taken ammo away, namely the big power cells in the earlier levels. Which I was kinda relying on building up for the last few levels in my straight runs.

And now we have to face an extra cyberdemon too. This is gonna be an issue... There was barely enough plasma to begin with, now there will be less but more need to use it.

So I took my sweet time to beat SIGIL (1.1) a couple of times, always on UV. Rather than beat the game in HMP to get familiar with the maps and then tackle UV, I preferred going straight to UV and saving a lot for my first playthrough. Subsequent runs I abused the save feature a lot less.

Visually, I think the WAD is right on the money. It might not have new textures and such, but I think Romero never intended to; he was trying to expand upon The Ultimate Doom in every aspect, while using the same resources he had available then, for the most part. I never had the issue of the levels being too dark, because I have the sector light mode set to doom legacy and the lighting there is very discernible for me.

The extremely tight corridors packed with enemies that dominated most of the maps might have proved challenging the first time around, but once you can predict what will be thrown at you, it becomes more grindy than it is really challenging. Ammo conservation is made obvious to you early on, and so you can find yourself trying to cheese your way with the chainsaw too much so you'll have ammo for the tighter spots. This often meant trying to catch some of the cacodemons around corners and sawing them before they could attack me. The level design is certainly claustrophobic in most of the maps, and a lot of the enemy placement is there to establish some sort of trial and error way of learning the levels. There nothing that I would classify as impossible or even stupidly hard, but I will say that some of the design choices are questionable. I don't mind playing Doom in a more strategic manner that tries to make the player rely on other tactics than eternally circle strafing, however, some sections were just there to dump enemies on you almost mindlessly. The endless array of cacodemons started to become very trite by the later levels.

Now all that aside, I did like some of the creativity displayed on the layouts and how you went on to progress through most of the maps. It wasn't too cryptic to figure out, and it felt like I was always pressing forward. Perhaps not at the speed I'm more used to when it comes to previous episodes of Doom, but rarely I felt lost or in the need of backtracking. I like that a lot because every level progresses in a fun manner and has you doing different things to advance without being confusing and having to run around a lot. The music by Buckethead was excellent, particularly the track for E5M2. I also quite liked that Romero focused on Doom I and designed it with its enemies and weapons in mind. I love Doom II as well, but there's something classic about original Doom's gameplay that clicks really well for me and it was great seeing that formula applied to a new selection of levels.

I guess that as a more advanced episode looking to continue the ideas of Thy Flesh Consumed, with even tighter spaces and increased difficulty, SIGIL manages to do that competent enough. There's a certain 'Doomness' feel in the gameplay that is lost for me, but it certainly makes up for it with atmosphere and challenge. It does feel like a natural progression in difficulty after episode 4, so there's that. SIGIL wasn't amazing for me but it certainly was good. The best compliment I can give it is that it works as a 5th episode to Ultimate Doom just fine, and that I think was Romero's biggest focus in this: to successfully continue OG Doom.

I'm curious about version 1.2, and when the final iteration is out, I'll try it one more time to see if it changes anything for better or worse.

• The Truth is in here

You can check what's new in Sigil v1.2 here:
https://pastebin.com/NBmJwPty

I would say there is absolutely no reason to complain about it any more now. Time for a replay, guys.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Hey, I'll complain! This is weird now:
Posted Image
I mean yeah, I know that the change was kinda necessary since people complained that from the original Doom 1 texture it was not obvious that you have an exit there but I got used to it that way, Romero! :(

• The Truth is in here

It seems current DEHACKED inside of the wad breaks specials, so ep.1-4 are unplayable with Sigil v1.2 loaded. Should get fixed soon.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostZaxx, on 23 September 2019 - 04:14 AM, said:

Hey, I'll complain! This is weird now:
Posted Image
I mean yeah, I know that the change was kinda necessary since people complained that from the original Doom 1 texture it was not obvious that you have an exit there but I got used to it that way, Romero! :(

I haven't played the new version, but boy, this looks horrible.

• The Truth is in here

It's also distorted as Revenant100 pointed out over at Doomworld:
https://www.doomworl...um/post/2029349

Maybe I'm just too used to the old TITLEPIC, but for whatever reason the new one in 1.2 just feels... off for me. It certainly looks sharper and has more colors, but I kinda like how simple and easy to my eyes the picture from 1.1 was when compared to 1.2. Here are screenshots of both, taken with Crispy Doom 5.6.2:

Spoiler

Anyway, I'm sure we'll have a hotfix coming soon to address the issue with the dehacked, but I wonder if other things can be ironed out as well in it.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I think the recolored title screen fits Doom a bit better, the only thing I don't like on it is the "v1.2" text. That seems unnecessary.

And yeah, the new exit texture is just a stretched version of the original artwork so it looks meh. The other thing about it (and I know that this will be hardcore nitpicking) is that with this new texture added SIGIL no longer fits the "rules" so to speak: originally it was supposed to be no new textures except for a new skybox just how it was for Thy Flesh Consumed. Now that rule is broken.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Well, let's wait and see v1.3. :(

View PostZaxx, on 23 September 2019 - 11:25 AM, said:

...the only thing I don't like on it is the "v1.2" text. That seems unnecessary.

I think that's it, now that I look at it, it really throws me off. Feels out of place and distracts from the new artwork.

• The Truth is in here

Version 1.21 is out:
https://pastebin.com/YJqSWATa

It's basically the fix for the boss specials. If I see it correctly, you still won't be able to finish ep.3 or 4 with Sigil loaded when using sigil_compat.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 September 2019 - 09:57 PM

• The Truth is in here

My summary of v1.2 after a HMP playthrough:

- The first three levels play pretty much the same for me. There probably are some changes, but nothing that required a general strategy adjustment compared to earlier versions of Sigil.

- E4M4: Crusher maze is still bad, but at least now you see where the crushers come down, so you know which places to avoid. The broken teleporter that stops the crushers has been removed. Since you were never able to make everything stop at the right moment to pass through flawlessly, you won't miss it. Best change here is the removal of the Cyberdemon, there simply wasn't enough space to dodge his rockets.

- E5M5: Cyberdemon from last level moved here, but now it's stationary on a small island next to the building holding the yellow skull key. You gotta pass it if you want to get to one of the secrets, but it's managable, especially since the Cybie can't move around much.

- E5M6: In the central tower (where you unlock the secret exit), there's a second Baron teleporting in after you arrived there. Nasty surprise after taking care of the first one, thinking it's safe there now.

- E5M7: In the final area before the yellow access door leading to the exit, there are no monsters shooting you in the back when you enter the place. Also, the dickish Baron encounter right behind the final door before the exit has been removed. Still lost quite a lot of health in this level, but it's definitely less frustrating now.

- E5M8: There's a crusher to take care of some caged Cacos, a Baron and Lost Souls, so you don't have to waste ammo on them. Replacing the Invulnerability Sphere with an eye... meh. Would have preferred spawning huge monster waves after picking up the sphere to make you fight for your life one last time, but like this it remains forgettable. Same as the episode ending text, btw.

- E5M9: Nothing was changed about the Cyberdemon encounter in the fortress. It's still tricky to do, but you should have more cells now for your BFG which you have hopefully collected at this point. With rockets it's a lot worse.

All in all it's a better experience now. Running out of ammo isn't a big issue any more, you find better weapons earlier and some shitty encounters have been defused. There's still room for improvement, but I dunno if Romero is up for tweaking it even more. If that was the final touch, it's OK.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 September 2019 - 11:29 PM

I just finished SIGIL 1.21 in ultra violence and the new experience was... interesting. While version 1.1 was closer to decent than to great, I feel 1.21 was closer to great than to decent, if that makes sense. Not quite there yet, but almost.

I need to play it a few more times before I can form a more solid opinion, but on a first impression basis the changes made the WAD a less bumpy ride, particularly in UV. Recently I beat 1.1 in UV while only saving at the start of levels. Now that I beat it again in 1.21 in the same fashion, it flowed somewhat better to me. I felt challenge was always fair in SIGIL for the most part, but it allowed very little room for error, particularly in maps such as E5M7: Nightmare Underworld which requires you to navigate very narrow spaces you can easily fall off from while also battling demons. That, coupled with some surprise encounters and an emphasis on ammo conservation in how levels were designed, could overwhelm players in their first play through of the WAD. Once you get the hang of it and know what to expect, the experience gets significantly better and it does succeed, for the most part, in challenging your skills as a player. I always liked that SIGIL is designed to prevent you from abusing circle strafing and rewards you for thinking outside the box.

Does 1.21 do away with all of these things? Does it turn the tables completely in the difficulty? No at all. What it does is untie your hands a little so you have some room for error where previously there was none. It coughs up a bit more ammo, makes certain battles less tight and removes minor annoyances here and there, but never to the point that it feels easy or even easier; personally I'd call it more balanced or fair.

I absolutely love Doom and Doom II, but if I had to choose, I would prefer Doom over Doom II because I like the more enclosed spaces and having to deal with less hitscanners. Also the maps in Doom rarely go beyond 150 monsters and usually stick to around 80-100. This makes it much easier for me to pick up and play all the way through. I like the fast progression of it all. SIGIL was a good addition to the OG Doom formula (which is often overlooked in favor of Doom II's more varied enemy roster and arsenal), and that's all I can ask for, specially for free. With 1.21 the improvements aren't massive, but welcome nonetheless.

This post has been edited by Putrid Pete: 27 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

• The Truth is in here

Another change I forgot to mention: Many of the non-escapable lava pits were changed. Not all of them, but enough to say it's a lot fairer now.

User is offline   NNC 

Some really nice revelations from some of the shaping levels, especially through the end, when multiple levels had been showed. It looks Romero made a step forward, and his work looks very ambitious here.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options