Duke4.net Forums: SIGIL - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SIGIL  "Split from "John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS""

View PostNightFright, on 10 December 2018 - 07:29 AM, said:

I also doubt a new MIDI soundtrack will be provided. Even good old Lee didn't consider MIDI for his new World Tour tracks any more since the format is simply outdated.
My guess is that the free download will really just be the levels. If you want custom music, you'll need to invest at least 40 bucks. It's basically like buying a Buckethead album (with a few extras).

If the free megawad is available to download on February of next year, I'll probably just crank up Andrew Hullshult's remake of the DooM soundtrack and blast those tunes while I play.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMetHy, on 10 December 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

My point is, it says it doesn't ship with Buckethead's music, it doesn't say it won't have music. Also, it says the box has music, it doesn't say that music will play during the game if you buy the box.
Also to be fair, it also says there is only one new exclusive song.

Well if that's the case then I understand this whole thing even less, I mean what's the point of including a random Buckethead compilation with a boxed copy of a Doom mod if the tracks are not even in the mod itself?

Here's what I'd actually pay money for (not 40 bucks, mind you):

- Only 9 levels? Okay, fine, that's a lot more than what Romero made for the entirety of Doom 2.
- But at least have custom assets, you know, some new textures and sprites for the new levels, that wouldn't hurt.
- It's for the original Doom 1? Why? We won't even have the super shotgun and Doom 2's enemies? WHY??? Add that shit, come on!
- And sure, add Buckethead's soundtrack because Buckethead is awesome but make it loop properly and make it part of the mod.

This is a good idea however (well, the only one?):

A pewter statue of John Romero’s head on a spike.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Yeah, that's what I figured. Cool! I love Romero's level design.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Romero's streaming the level pack:
https://www.twitch.tv/theromero
You can hear Buckethead music...

Edit: Yep, Buckethead's soundtrack is in the mod... if you pay 40 bucks that is.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 December 2018 - 07:52 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So I guess the wad on the USB disk/stick will be different from the one people will be able to download (i.e. bigger due to the integrated soundtrack). As far as I can see on the stream, Romero is using stock textures, so music should be the only difference.

The way this distribution is done is still kinda fair, though. The levels themselves have to be for free since Romero is not affiliated with id any more, so you only pay for custom music and other optional stuff. Whether it's worth 40 or 166 USD is another matter, though. If only purchases guaranteed the release of Blackroom...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 December 2018 - 08:24 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 10 December 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

So I guess the wad on the USB disk/stick will be different from the one people will be able to download (i.e. bigger due to the integrated soundtrack). As far as I can see on the stream, Romero is using stock textures, so music/size should be the only difference.

The way this distribution is done is still kinda fair, though. The levels themselves have to be for free since Romero is not affiliated with id any more, so you only pay for custom music and other optional stuff. Whether it's worth 40 or 166 USD is another matter, though. If only purchases guaranteed the release of Blackroom...

The way I see it legally it is absolutely possible the release the soundtrack separately with a WAD for the mod in it.

• The Truth is in here

Well, let's face it. Some guys will rip the soundtrack and upload it, anyway... xD

One way or the other, the levels look nice. At least as far as I can see since Romero keeps dying almost at the same spots all the time. Quicksaving is for pussies, it seems! xD
Secrets are also nice - the one he just showed I have never seen in any other wad so far: An operational (!) switch wall which lets you pass through. Simple but neat!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I liken it to the CD-ROM version of Descent II which had random industrial music included by various bands that weren't all composed specifically for the game at all. Like Haunted by Type O Negative. That also doesn't loop properly.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNightFright, on 10 December 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

The way this distribution is done is still kinda fair, though. The levels themselves have to be for free since Romero is not affiliated with id any more, so you only pay for custom music and other optional stuff.

Reminded me of the Lost Episodes :) Also I suppose the whole release is very much in the "style" of the 90s. IIRC Sonic Mayhem started their career in the video game industry by releasing a CD with an "alternate" soundtrack for Quake. I think there were also other releases like that too.

• The Truth is in here

Well, the Lost Episodes came in combination with the hintbook which was made in the same style as the Official Strategy Guide for Doom.

In my opinion that release was a "bit" overdone since the quality of the levels did not really justify a printed full length guide. It was a smart way to earn money with custom levels that you usually just download for free, though.

My two pieces of criticism:
1) Why just a teaser and not release this right away for the anniversary?
2) Did Romero have the idea with the floppy USB by himself or did he get HEAVILY inspired by the (planned) retail box of a (yet unreleased) game we all know and are eagerly awaiting? :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

User is offline   axl 

Ah, excellent news !

Would be neat though if it would include some new art or new intermissions screens (like this was the case for the original 3 episodes).

This post has been edited by axl: 10 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Neat news, and I'll definitely check Sigil out in February, but I want to see a new shooter from Romero. There's an established market for indie, digital-only shooters now, so I hope his new studio is working on something along those lines.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 10 December 2018 - 12:41 PM

User is offline   NNC 

I love the look of the levels... don't watch the stream video though, I want to explore the episode by myself.

The full episode name is: Sigil of the Baphomet.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

ITT People bitching about paying for optional goodies when the base content is free

What little I saw of the levels looks awesome but I'm going to go in blind in February

User is offline   axl 

View PostHulkNukem, on 10 December 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

ITT People bitching about paying for optional goodies when the base content is free

What little I saw of the levels looks awesome but I'm going to go in blind in February

Indeed. 9 levels for free from Romero himself ! If only Allen Blum and the Levelord would act the same way :)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHulkNukem, on 10 December 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

Would you call a game's soundtrack part of the base content? Because I sure as shit would. I'd happily pay 10 bucks for the whole thing digitally (or for the soundtrack separately).

Basically I'm not bothered by the existence of the boxed copies and the CE (I mean if even after 25 years he wants to cash in on nostalgia and people want that then who am I to judge anyone? he's just giving people what they want), I'm bothered that there is no normal priced option that has all the content of the mod itself.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 10 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I got some cash for my birthday so I went ahead and bought the 166 edition.

Its cool to read in the FAQ that he mentions he talks to John Carmack from time to time, nice to see they are talking.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostHulkNukem, on 10 December 2018 - 12:47 PM, said:

I got some cash for my birthday so I went ahead and bought the 166 edition.

Its cool to read in the FAQ that he mentions he talks to John Carmack from time to time, nice to see they are talking.

I'm glad there isn't serious bad blood between them. He also reassures that he's working on other things:

Q: Are you working on anything else?

A: Of course, and it will be done when it’s done. :)

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostZaxx, on 10 December 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

Would you call a game's soundtrack part of the base content? Because I sure as shit would. I'd happily pay 10 bucks for the whole thing digitally (or for the soundtrack separately).

Basically I'm not bothered by the existence of the boxed copies and the CE (I mean if even after 25 years he wants to cash in on nostalgia and people want that then who am I to judge anyone? he's just giving people what they want), I'm bothered that there is no normal priced option that has all the content of the mod itself.

Charging for the mod digitally might open a whole new can of worms legally. Also, music licensing is very specific. He likely only has a license to distribute the music physically and not digitally. Would have cost more otherwise.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 10 December 2018 - 02:18 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostNightFright, on 10 December 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

2) Did Romero have the idea with the floppy USB by himself or did he get HEAVILY inspired by the (planned) retail box of a (yet unreleased) game we all know and are eagerly awaiting? :)

They saw our box and asked where we got them manufactured.

• The Truth is in here

So the similarities are not a coincidence, I see. Well, it's a great idea and they recognized that, I guess.

User is offline   NNC 

View Postaxl, on 10 December 2018 - 12:38 PM, said:

Indeed. 9 levels for free from Romero himself ! If only Allen Blum and the Levelord would act the same way :)

A 11 level episode from Blum (I don't care for Levelord) for free, and full of giant maps like E5M4 and E5M6? That would be the greatest thing ever for this franchise.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Fuck the naysayers. Romero might be a fucking dork, but he knows level design. This looks good. And honestly, I don't really have the cash to be throwing around but I'll probably buy the $166 box because I want to put my money where my mouth is: A new Doom episode is way cooler than the absolute shit the game industry is shoveling out these days.

Also fuck anyone who complains about the $40 box. You don't know how much it costs to manufacture this kind of shit, Buckethead and Christopher Lovell deserve money for their work, and so does Romero. Get a fucking life, you know this shit will be available to pirate DAY ONE. Build a bridge and get over yourself.

Basic run down of what the Beast Box probably costs to manufacture;
$10 - Box
$10 - Floppy USB
$25 - 2 CDs + Book
$10 - Art Print
$15 - Coin
$20 - Statuette
$25 - T-Shirt
$10 - 2 Stickers

And this is being conservative. Have you ever actually tried to manufacture a product? The smaller your order the more expensive it is. That run down comes out to $125 just to manufacture. That leaves $41 between at least three people, but I'd guarantee five or more.

TL;DR Wait until February and get the free wad you fucking scrubs.

This post has been edited by Jimmy 4k: 11 December 2018 - 01:36 AM

• The Truth is in here

Infoflow update (from Doomworld forums):
- Romero stated that if Sigil retail sells well, he will "absolutely" make another map pack for Doom II after that
- Any port besides vanilla (i.e. Chocolate Doom, PrBoom+, GZDoom etc) should be able to run Sigil since maps will be limit-removing

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 December 2018 - 03:07 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostJimmy 4k, on 11 December 2018 - 01:24 AM, said:

Fuck the naysayers. Romero might be a fucking dork, but he knows level design. This looks good. And honestly, I don't really have the cash to be throwing around but I'll probably buy the $166 box because I want to put my money where my mouth is: A new Doom episode is way cooler than the absolute shit the game industry is shoveling out these days.

Also fuck anyone who complains about the $40 box. You don't know how much it costs to manufacture this kind of shit, Buckethead and Christopher Lovell deserve money for their work, and so does Romero. Get a fucking life, you know this shit will be available to pirate DAY ONE. Build a bridge and get over yourself.

Basic run down of what the Beast Box probably costs to manufacture;
$10 - Box
$10 - Floppy USB
$25 - 2 CDs + Book
$10 - Art Print
$15 - Coin
$20 - Statuette
$25 - T-Shirt
$10 - 2 Stickers

And this is being conservative. Have you ever actually tried to manufacture a product? The smaller your order the more expensive it is. That run down comes out to $125 just to manufacture. That leaves $41 between at least three people, but I'd guarantee five or more.

TL;DR Wait until February and get the free wad you fucking scrubs.

Wow, agree with BlitZ on something. The sun is setting in the east today.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 11 December 2018 - 03:44 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostZaxx, on 10 December 2018 - 07:46 AM, said:

Romero's streaming the level pack:
https://www.twitch.tv/theromero
You can hear Buckethead music...

Edit: Yep, Buckethead's soundtrack is in the mod... if you pay 40 bucks that is.

My point is I have a very hard time calling it "the episode's soundtrack". From what I gather in the stream it's just the CD playing seperately, music doesn't play from the game (how many Doom sourceports even let you play music from a CD?), levels don't have tracks assigned to them which loop, and on top of this there is only one new exclusive track (meaning that the music wasn't created for the episode, and the one new track isn't made for a level in particular either) . It's more like what Blood did with Type-o-Negative.
Therefore I find that claiming that you have to pay if you want the episode's music incorrect.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 December 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

It doesn't mention any other music other than Buckethead's, though. There's no reason to assume it has a new MIDI (or otherwise) soundtrack.

I expect MIDI tracks from the original game play by default, box version or not.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 11 December 2018 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

Really shitty move to ask people to sink 166 bucks and not showing the statue. Will it even be painted?

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMetHy, on 11 December 2018 - 03:55 AM, said:

It's more like what Blood did with Type-o-Negative.

I assume you meant Descent? Or did Type O Negative also work on Blood?
(if you meant Descent, it wasn't just Type O Negative that had a track on there. They only did one track, and it was an instrumental version of Haunted)

Therefore I find that claiming that you have to pay if you want the episode's music incorrect.

Luckily, CD or not, you can easily create digital tracks yourself that source ports can play easily (except with Chocolate Doom, which is IMO a needlessly complex process). Again, he probably doesn't have a license to digitize and distribute the music as game files with the game/mod. Music licensing is super particular.

Really shitty move to ask people to sink 166 bucks and not showing the statue. Will it even be painted?

They're most likely not even made yet. The pre-orders will help pay for the manufacturing similar to certain Kickstarter high-tier backer rewards.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 December 2018 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 December 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

They're most likely not even made yet. The pre-orders will help pay for the manufacturing similar to certain Kickstarter high-tier backer rewards.

There should've been at least a 3D render or a concept art. Right now I don't even know what am I paying for. Will it be fully painted or just grey like Duke from BoSE?

• The Sarien Encounter

Duke from BOSE was supposed to resemble a marble statue. It makes sense that it was gray.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options