• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wrath: Aeon of Ruin  "Formerly "3DRealms is working on a new game""

User is offline   Malgon 

Please...
Spoiler
Seriously though, I am intrigued by the very small animation we got. We'll have to see if they're cribbing from old 3DR ideas or something completely new (or a mix). Time will tell!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 31 October 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

Well, setting the name and the portals aside, the Prey of the 90s was a lot different from the Prey of 06. So I could see them revisiting some of the ideas there.

Though, personally, I hope it's all new and from scratch and not pulling from the old worn out bag.

Paul Schuytema's story treatment was awesome. It'd be great to finally see it realized.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Sexy AF! Major development milestone incoming.

Posted Image

User is offline   Maisth 

I really thought they were using something like Hammer, guess I was wrong, looks cool, never had the time to learn how to use Radiant at his fullest, only parts of it mainly using Doom 3.

This post has been edited by Maisth: 03 December 2018 - 05:56 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

The few pieces of media seem to show very Quake 1 style environments; something tells me though that maybe it is but one of many radically different style environments in the game. Maybe it starts in a castle setting and then you move onto a Sci Fi space base setting then move onto a western cowboy style setting or something.
If its just gothic style only, I'll still be down for it.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Looks very nice!

I'm actually feeling less hype than before.

My heart tells me it's going to be interesting because it's an FPS developed in-house by 3DRealms, but my brain observes that all material they released shows very Quake1-like environments: brown and gothic. And here's the real problem: environmental variety is one of the factors that made me prefer Duke Nukem 3D to Quake 1! I didn't care about the brand back then, I cared about the content!
Until new media comes out proving me wrong and showing that gothic brown is just a small part of the game, I'm gonna rate it M, for "meh".

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

My question is... Who the HELL uses Radiant? That editor is so awful. Uuughhh!

User is offline   ---- 

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 December 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

My heart tells me it's going to be interesting because it's an FPS developed in-house by 3DRealms, but my brain observes that all material they released shows very Quake1-like environments: brown and gothic. And here's the real problem: environmental variety is one of the factors that made me prefer Duke Nukem 3D to Quake 1! I didn't care about the brand back then, I cared about the content!
Until new media comes out proving me wrong and showing that gothic brown is just a small part of the game, I'm gonna rate it M, for "meh".

I usually don't agree with you, Altered Reality ... but in this case I am with you. Interesting environments AND (of course) great gameplay are a must. I didn't even play DooM 2016 twice, because of the same space corridors I have seen so many times before and that offer very little new.

I will judge the game when more media is available.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 06 December 2018 - 04:21 AM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 December 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

I enjoyed Quake despite its lack of variety because its levels and environments were very well designed. I think doing something like Quake would be better than mixing different styles without making much sense. I wouldn't like to see something western related mixed with medieval castles and futuristic bases like it was said before, but it's only my opinion. :rolleyes:

I think doing something like Quake would be better than mixing different styles without making much sense.

But Duke Nukem 3D proved that it can be done and have it make sense, so that the player gets a real sense of progression.

You started in LA, so the levels had an urban theme. Then you were captured and moved to a prison near a canyon which aliens had invaded, so the levels switched to a mixture between a rocky/barren theme and a slimy/alien technology theme. Then in episode 2 you went to space, so you started with levels that were mostly metallic gray, with regular and boxy environments, but then you moved to the alien-controlled space stations, so the levels became less boxy, less regular, and the colors changed to slimy dark green and radioactive/glowing green. And so on.

Let's compare it to Quake, where you don't have a sense of progression. You don't look at a level and say "Oh, it makes sense that I'm here right now, because I came here from... that other place." No, I'll go as far as to say that every level in Quake is interchangeable, and while their theme is coherent (too much, IMO) it's their design that doesn't make sense. And as if it wasn't enough, they don't allow you to do anything besides shooting bad guys and hitting buttons with your chest, the buttons you need to hit to progress.

Let me quote Paul Schuytema here: "I believe the player should be an agent for change in the game, and the more you can allow them to do, I think the more fun they'll have."
I completely agree with him, and the lack of what he described is one of the things I'm afraid about. I'm afraid that this game will use nostalgia as a crutch, to remind the players about the "fun" they'll have while playing a game that doesn't let them do anything besides running, shooting and bumping buttons... when instead, back in the day, developers felt that kind of interaction was insufficient and struggled to make games that let you do more than that.

An additional consideration: environmental variety in Duke Nukem 3D meant you could go ahead and make custom levels with more than just one theme, so a user level can look completely different from another user level, even when they don't use custom textures. This is something the default texture set from Quake cannot do.
Yes, you could say that it's possible to make custom textures and make brand new DarkPlaces levels that don't look like Quake 1, but then... what would you need a new game for?

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 06 December 2018 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 December 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

But Duke Nukem 3D proved that it can be done and have it make sense, so that the player gets a real sense of progression.
Duke 3D is a good example of level variety, but imagine this new game, which is based on a medieval theme, what can you do to keep the variety? You can use the time travel cliche and mix some futuristic bases with medieval castles, just like in Quake, but in my opinion, you can't add much more variety using this method without making it feel a bit incoherent.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostPerro Seco, on 06 December 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

Duke 3D is a good example of level variety, but imagine this new game, which is based on a medieval theme, what can you do to keep the variety? You can use the time travel cliche and mix some futuristic bases with medieval castles, just like in Quake, but in my opinion, you can't add much more variety using this method without making it feel a bit incoherent.

There are tons of medieval game with good level variety, you just have to look outside first person shooters and 3D games.

View PostPerro Seco, on 06 December 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

imagine this new game, which is based on a medieval theme, what can you do to keep the variety?

You could do it like Unreal, which made the setting an alien planet that only sort of resembles a medieval setting, again with human spaceships that go for the blocky metallic look (Vortex Rikers, ISV-Kran), locations with advanced alien technology (e.g. Terraniux) and physically impossible locations (e.g. SkyTown).

You can use the time travel cliche

Time travel is only a cliché if used in the most braindead possible way (hero reaches another time, hero lives adventure, hero returns to the correct time). If, instead, time travel is used as a superpower, it's a fascinating concept. What if you could shift at will between various time periods (let's say the middle ages, the present and a cyberpunk future), and certain actions in one time period trigger a number of changes in the periods that come after? For example, killing one person in the middle ages would prevent you from meeting their descendants in the present and future, but then you would meet other people you would not be able to meet otherwise, which would lead to more storyline ramifications.

User is offline   Hank 

Risking banned here as well.
3D Realms finally figured out that Ion Maiden will be a huge hit.
How to profit? Simple! Offer another game, in house, based on a much larger following (fan base) as Duke 3D; in this case Quake.
I actually do dearly love those games - Quake. (One, two and even four) As for 3DR shit, I say: “Finish Bombshell's long over due fixes (8 month and counting), reestablish RoTT for the editor's help files ... etc. long list if you wish!!
In short, service the customers that are stuck with your shit, before advertising your new inevitable half baked fucking shit.

Or, if the above is too cryptic, Fuck You 3D Realms, and anything you dare to promise. Prove yourself first. :rolleyes:

User is offline   VGA 

Well I don't care for Bombshell and I don't care for some RoTT editor help files (huh?)

I care about Ion Maiden and this Quake game though.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

I hope it's set inside a giant ass.

User is online   Mark 

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 December 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

Time travel is only a cliché if used in the most braindead possible way (hero reaches another time, hero lives adventure, hero returns to the correct time). If, instead, time travel is used as a superpower, it's a fascinating concept. What if you could shift at will between various time periods (let's say the middle ages, the present and a cyberpunk future), and certain actions in one time period trigger a number of changes in the periods that come after? For example, killing one person in the middle ages would prevent you from meeting their descendants in the present and future, but then you would meet other people you would not be able to meet otherwise, which would lead to more storyline ramifications.

And when Duke accidently kills off his own ancient ancestor he unleashes a horrible and far reaching paradox for the entire Universe. He gets stuck in a loop where he has to keep traveling backwards to undo what he did before. He ends up in medieval times where he finally finds the fix. :)

This post has been edited by Mark: 08 December 2018 - 02:03 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostMark, on 08 December 2018 - 02:00 PM, said:

And when Duke accidently kills off his own ancient ancestor he unleashes a horrible and far reaching paradox for the entire Universe. He gets stuck in a loop where he has to keep traveling backwards to undo what he did before. He ends up in medieval times where he finally finds the fix. :)

And it culminates in the ultimate battle. We all knew it would have to end this way.

Eventually, he has to go back and fuck himself.

User is offline   Outtagum 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 December 2018 - 05:01 AM, said:

YEAH BABY!
Attached File  apswsm.jpg (73.37K)
Number of downloads: 103

View PostCommando Nukem, on 09 December 2018 - 05:01 AM, said:

And it culminates in the ultimate battle. We all knew it would have to end this way.

And this is why we will never have Duke games again. (In b4 reply of "you're saying it like it's a bad thing")

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 17 December 2018 - 12:20 PM

• Judge Mental

View PostAltered Reality, on 17 December 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

And this is why we will never have Duke games again.

What a happy ending!

User is offline   NNC 

It tells a lot about Quake that Romero's episode 2 and Petersen's episode 4 look almost similar. Their maps in Doom were like night and day (not quality wise, but aesthetic wise), and the bland brown of Quake made both very generic.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostAltered Reality, on 06 December 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

Posted Image

View PostPerson of Color, on 30 December 2018 - 03:51 AM, said:

<insert huge Daikatana picture here>

Oh, I was unaware that Daikatana let you move from one time period to another whenever you want.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 02 January 2019 - 07:42 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Are there any news about the game in general? Can we expect it this year?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 03 January 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

Are there any news about the game in general? Can we expect it this year?

Considering the "delays" of Ion Maiden and what I could gather in terms of how they are developing the game (using old tools deliberately) I don't think so.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Why would they deny themselves the benefits and advantages of modern editors?
Even Romero is using recent tools for his "Sigil" Doom episode. You don't need to build oldschool to be oldschool.

But it's another team that's working on the Quake game, right? TerminX and his Merry Men™ are not involved?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 January 2019 - 01:45 PM

View PostZaxx, on 03 January 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

Considering the "delays" of Ion Maiden and what I could gather in terms of how they are developing the game (using old tools deliberately) I don't think so.

What? What tools are they using?

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostAltered Reality, on 03 January 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

What? What tools are they using?

This (the "original" QuakeC, whatever that means):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuakeC
As for the level editor specifically, I have no idea.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 03 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options