Duke4.net Forums: Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy  "Now with official autobuilds on first post"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Sure, that's a good point, I think the case with that is people already discussed the differences at length when ERampage was new though. I never bothered to get in depth with that stuff, to me ERampage just feels like Duke instead of RR, I mean look at this:

That's Duke wearing the skin of RR.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 04 January 2019 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostZaxx, on 01 January 2019 - 07:42 AM, said:

I'm not the type of guy who wants 100% accuracy when I feel that the accurate experience doesn't quite hold up (for example the more visible and colored keys of RedneckGDX provide an objective improvement to the original game design so my vote is on that one these days) but the "soul" of it should be kept intact.

A port should not ship with a mod. Mods should be optional.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Colored keys can be toggled in Game Options menu (and is disabled by default I believe)

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 04 January 2019 - 03:37 PM, said:

A port should not ship with a mod. Mods should be optional.

I agree, stuff that changes the original should be optional toggles or mods, the only circumstance where I think that approach has no use is if a bug that was never an intended feature gets fixed. For example Nightdive's remaster of Blood will use different collision detection in order to fix explosions not doing damage when they should and that's fine by me.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Actually it will use different collision detection because it's not a real port.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 04 January 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

Actually it will use different collision detection because it's not a real port.

No, they could have recreated that without problems and they did so when it comes to the other weird stuff in the game. For example all the exploits you had in the original will work and overall the game will be accurate on KEX apart from the collision detection.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 January 2019 - 05:20 AM

User is offline   axl 

View PostZaxx, on 05 January 2019 - 05:19 AM, said:

No, they could have recreated that without problems and they did so when it comes to the other weird stuff in the game. For example all the exploits you had in the original will work and overall the game will be accurate on KEX apart from the collision detection.

Indeed. That's what Kaiser said:

"Some things like the slipperiness is going to remain as it was intentionally designed to do that, but none of the engine's collision detection is going to be used. Though the new collision code will produce nearly exact same results; just less glitchy results... "

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah and with Civvie11's new video released people started asking if the expolits shown there (like that you just crouch against giant gargoyles and they won't hit you) will be kept or not. They will.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

>actually believing this corporate bullshit

Man you guys will believe anything. It's cheaper and easier to just write new collision detection than try to replicate collision detection that doesn't work the way you'd think it should.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 05 January 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

>actually believing this corporate bullshit

Man you guys will believe anything. It's cheaper and easier to just write new collision detection than try to replicate collision detection that doesn't work the way you'd think it should.

Well, I don't really care, what matters to me is that Build's collision detection was pretty bad because of that bug so it will be nice to have a version of Blood that doesn't have that. You can think about it as an authentic feature and that's fine but it's not intended behaviour.

Btw. I don't know what's corporate bullshit about one of the devs sharing some stuff about the port.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't care if it's intended or not. It's not a real port, and that's why it's going to have different behaviour, and I'm sure there's plenty they haven't revealed yet. Case closed.

And it's corporate bullshit because they're handing you a glass of piss and telling you it's lemonade. They're not "fixing a bug" because they're not even using the original source code. They're making an approximation. Which is fine if they want to do that. But the way they choose to package that information is corporate bullshit because they're trying to obscure the fact that it's not a real port.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

But they are not trying to obscure it, the first thing Kaiser said after the announcement was that they don't use the source code and all of it is reverse engineered and packaged into KEX.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The Turok remasters aren't ports either but I couldn't tell the difference. I'm not saying that will be the case with Blood, but...yeah anyway.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 January 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

The Turok remasters aren't ports either but I couldn't tell the difference. I'm not saying that will be the case with Blood, but...yeah anyway.

There were differences, especially in Turok 2 but those were conscious decisions. Blood won't have stuff like that (and it can't have stuff like that because they don't have the rights to do so).

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What changes? I mean, obviously there's stuff like quicksaves and whatnot to lend itself better to a PC experience (although I know that there were Windows ports of each back in the day). Was anything else game-changing done as far as mechanics and behaviour are concerned?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 05 January 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

What changes? I mean, obviously there's stuff like quicksaves and whatnot to lend itself better to a PC experience (although I know that there were Windows ports of each back in the day). Was anything else game-changing done as far as mechanics and behaviour are concerned?

Well, for Turok 2 the description on the Steam page summarizes it well:

Enhanced Gameplay:
Improved character speed and manoeuvrability, including the ability to grapple ledges.
Updated maps.
Improved AI.
"Quick warp" feature allows instant travel to any previously visited portal.
Save and load anywhere.

So there are subtle changes here and there even for things like the level design and to a lesser extent this is true for the first game too. Blood won't have these, Kaiser said that there are a few changes he'd make to the maps but that's not the direction for this release. It's the "Doom 64 EX treatment" for Blood while in the case of Turok 2 it's more like what the BFG Edition was for Doom 3.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 05 January 2019 - 04:44 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMrFlibble, on 04 December 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Does this support the alpha demo?

So I checked the latest version and it crashes (quits without any message) with the demo GRP. Any chance for demo support to be added in future releases?

So smooth and no font issues on lower res, even cd audio works, perfect! If your Blood port will be as awesome as this one is, DOS versions will be obsolete completely. ;p

User is offline   axl 

It seems that some weapons (like the dynamite crossbow) aren't centered yet. Is there a fix for this ?

Otherwise great port !

This post has been edited by axl: 11 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I suppose it's not centered to hide that the sprites are cut.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View Postaxl, on 11 January 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

It seems that some weapons (like the dynamite crossbow) aren't centered yet. Is there a fix for this ?

Otherwise great port !

View PostHendricks266, on 24 October 2018 - 09:29 AM, said:

Looking at the source, NukeYKT ported my method of disabling Duke's widescreen pinning to RR: In rr.def or rrra.def add "globalgameflags 1". Then you can define widescreen tiles.

User is offline   axl 

View PostMblackwell, on 17 January 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

Thx, but how do i manage this ? Looking at the fix for Duke Nukem 3D, widescreen textures from megaton were used in combination with some changes in xoff / yoff set in def file.

So a couple of questions:

1. are there proper widescreen textures for RR ?
2. how does one exactly determine the correct xoff / yoff set values ? It this just based on visual appearance ? Or is there a method for this ?
3. if there aren't proper widescreen textures available, one should only change the position (offsets) in def I suppose. Is there a certain command for this ? (not tilefromtexture).

Sorry for these questions but as you can see, I have no real experience with these kinda things...

Me, fgsfds and Dzierzan did widescreen tiles for the weapons and vehicles for RR and RRRA, they're included with RedneckGDX

User is offline   axl 

View PostPhredreeke, on 20 January 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

Me, fgsfds and Dzierzan did widescreen tiles for the weapons and vehicles for RR and RRRA, they're included with RedneckGDX

Ah that's great news ! Will you also provide them for Rednukem ? Your skyboxes for Redneck Rampage are also applicable for both RedneckGDX as Rednukem. And they work great !

I can't speak for fgsfds or dzierzan but if you want to use the widescreen adapted weapon sprites I made for RedNukem then go ahead.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I don't mind either if they are used in RedNukem as well.

User is offline   axl 

Thanks guys. I'll try to make a little zip file so that it can be used for Rednukem (similar to the one made for Duke Nukem 3D).

I'll post it here if others might want it and give all credits to the persons above who made it for RedneckGDX (Phredreeke, fgsfds and Dzierzan).

User is offline   axl 

Ok, as promised, the widescreen fix for Rednukem.

As mentioned above, I take no credit whatsoever for the artwork / textures. They were made for RedneckGDX by Phredreeke, fgsfds and Dzierzan. I only made this little package to work under Rednukem.

Attached File(s)

I've run into an issue with the Previous Weapon button that seems to be related to having a certain assortment of weapons. At the beginning of Downtown, I immediately picked up the secret Ripsaw behind the gas station, so I had this weapon along with the starting Pistol and Crowbar. If I scroll through all of these weapons using the Next Weapon button, I don't run into any issues. Of note is that the Crowbar never appears when scrolling through the weapons this way. However, if I scroll through these same weapons using the Previous Weapon button, when I get to the Ripsaw, the "previous weapon" will equip the Crowbar. Pressing Previous Weapon again will bring me back to the Ripsaw (which is correct), leading to an infinite loop between the two. In the DOS version, pressing Previous Weapon while holding the Ripsaw will correctly equip the Pistol.

This problem does not occur if I have all weapons (I only quickly tested this with the rdguns cheat), so it seems specific to having/missing certain guns.

Here's a video comparing the behavior between the original DOS executable and Rednukem 1.0:

User is offline   Skulldog 

Wow, this is very good work.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options