Duke4.net Forums: Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rednukem - Redneck Rampage & Duke3D/64 port with focus on accuracy  "Now with official autobuilds on first post"

User is offline   TP555 

Re

Here the Colour Correction Bug in Show , and i can't change to 256 Voices !

I have a Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 USB !

And i have some Errors found in Rednukem.log File !

VIXEN.CON:600: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
VIXEN.CON:668: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
VIXEN.CON:668: warning: empty `ifspritepal' branch
BUBBA.CON:207: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
Sound flush.voc(#79) not found!
Sound grind.voc(#148) not found!
Sound whisper.voc(#442) not found!
Sound droppie.voc(#460) not found!
WARNING: invalid sound #213

TP555

This post has been edited by TP555: 16 November 2018 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   Paar 

@NukeYKT: I have several questions about the source port:

1. It it's more accure than the original EDuke32, what changes have been made? Specifically, is there something that your source port cannot do in comparison?
2. I have tried version 1.0 and for some reason demos from RR don't play (they did in beta version).
3. Is RR fully moddable through Rednukem?
3. What is your motivation to make the source port? Would you want to broaden the compatibility with other games?

Thank you.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, Rednukem can't run EDuke32 CON scripts.

User is offline   Paar 

View PostTerminX, on 16 November 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Yeah, Rednukem can't run EDuke32 CON scripts.

Oh. Does that mean that it isn't possible to change weapons with scripts? That's bummer. I was happy that this source port has surfaced because for me it was an opportunity to try and rebalance weapons/enemies and make the game overall more enjoyable. Well, there's still RedneckGDX but I was happy there is an option that doesn't require JRE.

This post has been edited by Paar: 16 November 2018 - 10:14 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostHendricks266, on 15 November 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

Use of the imperative voice doesn't necessarily imply that it is an order. It is also used for instruction, for recommendation, etc.
You need to finish the eduke32 port that plays all the build games.

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 November 2018 - 11:09 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPaar, on 16 November 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Well, there's still RedneckGDX but I was happy there is an option that doesn't require JRE.

RedneckGDX has no advantage here.

View PostForge, on 16 November 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

Quit stalling and finish the eduke32 port that plays all the build games.

just a recommendation.

Posted Image

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

View PostTP555, on 16 November 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

Re

Here the Colour Correction Bug in Show , and i can't change to 256 Voices !

I guess there are some technical limitations. EDuke32 is most likely affected as well.

View PostTP555, on 16 November 2018 - 03:36 AM, said:

And i have some Errors found in Rednukem.log File !

VIXEN.CON:600: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
VIXEN.CON:668: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
VIXEN.CON:668: warning: empty `ifspritepal' branch
BUBBA.CON:207: warning: `nullop' found without `else'
Sound flush.voc(#79) not found!
Sound grind.voc(#148) not found!
Sound whisper.voc(#442) not found!
Sound droppie.voc(#460) not found!
WARNING: invalid sound #213

TP555

Just ignore them

View PostPaar, on 16 November 2018 - 09:43 AM, said:

@NukeYKT: I have several questions about the source port:

1. It it's more accure than the original EDuke32, what changes have been made? Specifically, is there something that your source port cannot do in comparison?
2. I have tried version 1.0 and for some reason demos from RR don't play (they did in beta version).
3. Is RR fully moddable through Rednukem?
3. What is your motivation to make the source port? Would you want to broaden the compatibility with other games?

Thank you.

1. I guess you've meant "accurate"? Well, accuracy to original versions(and demo compatibility) is my main goal(especially for RR games). In order to do it i've basically reverted game logic to original DOS version. Also decision to remove EDuke32's CON extension eased process a lot.
2. Are you sure that you've put DEMOx.DMO files in your Rednukem directory?
3. No.
4. I was more interested on reverse engineering part of the project which was inspired by Chocolate Strife project. Porting process was less fun.

User is offline   Paar 

Yeah sorry, I didn't spell check my post. Well, at least we can play the game in nice resolutions and with proper mouse look :rolleyes:.

@Hendricks266: Any chance of using the reversed engineered code in EDuke32?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPaar, on 16 November 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

@Hendricks266: Any chance of using the reversed engineered code in EDuke32?

Yes, that's the plan.

User is offline   Tekedon 

So what is not accurate in eduke32? Or am I understanding this incorrectly?

User is offline   Paar 

I wonder how accurate is Rednukem though for RR. Demos from DN3D:AE played fine with no desync. However demos from RR desynced after a while. It's mostly visible in the two demos from the level with gas station. In the first playthrough the player doesn't kill the first revolver enemy right before picking up a sawblade (in the DOS version he does) and after that is killed by regular shots of the big alien (in the DOS version the player is killed by a grenade the alien tosses at him). In the second playthrough the player doesn't kill a shotgun enemy on the roof while in DOS version he does. It seems that horizontal aiming is a little off.

View PostPaar, on 17 November 2018 - 02:28 PM, said:

I wonder how accurate is Rednukem though for RR. Demos from DN3D:AE played fine with no desync. However demos from RR desynced after a while. It's mostly visible in the two demos from the level with gas station. In the first playthrough the player doesn't kill the first revolver enemy right before picking up a sawblade (in the DOS version he does) and after that is killed by regular shots of the big alien (in the DOS version the player is killed by a grenade the alien tosses at him). In the second playthrough the player doesn't kill a shotgun enemy on the roof while in DOS version he does. It seems that horizontal aiming is a little off.

Rednukem plays RR internal demos correctly. Same happens in original game as well.

User is offline   Paar 

I have tried it again and it definitely desyncs, result of the demos are different. Maybe I use different version of the original game? Mine is bought through GOG, version 1.01.

This post has been edited by Paar: 17 November 2018 - 10:35 PM

View PostPaar, on 17 November 2018 - 10:35 PM, said:

I have tried it again and it definitely desyncs, result of the demos are different. Maybe I use different version of the original game? Mine is bought through GOG, version 1.01.

Weird. Mine is from GOG too.

User is offline   Lunick 

How about both of you record the demo? In both DOSBox environments and in Rednukem

User is offline   Paar 

It would certainly help if EDuke32 had some internal video recorder...

Here's how demos run on my setup:

Redneck Rampage DOS (GOG v1.01, DOSBox 0.74):

Rednukem v1.0:

User is offline   Paar 

Alright, I have played your video and got confused so I made another research. In the end it seems that many moons ago I modified some CON files which resulted in those desyncs. I have downloaded the game again from GOG, replaced all CON files and everything behaved exactly as in Rednukem. I'm sorry about that. I really thought that my demos were right as they made more sense than the originals. Conclusion is Rednukem's accuracy is perferct, or at least very close to it.

This post has been edited by Paar: 18 November 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostPaar, on 18 November 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

Alright, I have played your video and got confused so I made another research. In the end it seems that many moons ago I modified some CON files which resulted in those desyncs. I have downloaded the game again from GOG, replaced all CON files and everything behaved exactly as in Rednukem. I'm sorry about that. I really thought that my demos were right as they made more sense than the originals. Conclusion is Rednukem's accuracy is perferct, or at least very close to it.

Glad to hear that you've resolved it. :rolleyes:

User is offline   Paar 

I admire your work and cannot thank enough for reverse engineering the game. Hopefully the RR support will be added to EDuke32 soon.

User is offline   Tekedon 

Planning on updating this anymore or is it finished?

View PostTekedon, on 01 December 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Planning on updating this anymore or is it finished?

No big changes are planned ATM. I've fixed some small issues(polymost ROR glitch strikes again). See GitHub repository for more details.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Does this support the alpha demo?

User is offline   Master O 

View PostForge, on 16 November 2018 - 10:31 AM, said:

You need to finish the eduke32 port that plays all the build games.

I wonder if they'll at least attempt to add Shadow Warrior support after they finish Ion Maiden, since Shadow Warrior is also open source like Ion Maiden. We all know Blood's unfortunate legal hell, after all...

This post has been edited by Master O: 05 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

User is offline   VGA 

Ion Maiden is open source?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's running on EDuke32. Which is open source. So, yeah?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 05 December 2018 - 09:16 PM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostVGA, on 05 December 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

Ion Maiden is open source?

I remember reading on this forum that once Ion Maiden is released, so will its source code.

User is offline   Paar 

Not sure about licensing but EDuke32 uses GPLv2 license for big chunk of it's code. And if you base your game on source code that is licensed that way you have to make sure that the resulting code is also licensed as GPLv2. Which means you have to make your code available to public.

User is offline   ---- 

Hm ... I had to reinstall and all works fine so far ...

... but I cannot enable the launcher to play the Route66 addon. I remember I had it working before.

What were the steps again to play it?

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options