Duke4.net Forums: Themed maps - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Themed maps  "Aliens themed maps, Doom themed maps and other themed maps"

User is offline   ViDi 

What themed maps do you know? I'm especially interested in Aliens and Doom themed maps. I guess I already did playthroughs of most of them, but maybe I missed something interesting. Please, let me know.

Maps I already aware of

Aliens Themed Maps
Alien 4: Resurrection
Alien Resurrection
Aliens (Jeremy Mason)
Aliens (Marek Kubáček)
Aliens (Peter Kucera)
Aliens2
Aliens for Plutonium Pak
Colony A2
Fury 161
LV426
Messhall A2
Nostromo

Doom Themed Maps
Doom
DooM 3D: Duke in Space
Doom II e1m1 for Duke
Doom II map01
Doom3
Doomed entryway
Doomtoo
Dr. Doom
DukeDoom (Douglas Ennis, Peter Behler)
DukeDoom (Rob Ellis)
E1M1 (Patrick Gowland)
e1m1 (Tony Man (Manga))
e1m5 From Doom 1 converted for Duke3d
Episode 4, Mission 6 Conversion Level From Doom
Hangar
The Gantlet
wgdoom1

User is offline   Paul B 

Here's a cool Doom Episode remake. Requires an additional mod to play and they recommend using Duke Plus as well. Definitely a Polymer experience.
https://www.dukemaps.net/?p=8437

Also I made a Duke map named The Rock after the movie. http://www.dukemaps.net/?p=425

This post has been edited by Paul B: 08 September 2018 - 10:36 PM

User is offline   ViDi 

Thanks, Paul. I'll check those. As well as some other maps you made.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Not a "map" but there is the Aliens versus Predator TC, which is definitely way more "aliens" than it is Predator.

There's also a Tower of Babel and Gotcha recreation in Duke, as well as the "Halls of Doom" series by zykov eddy which are less recreations and more attempts to recapture the spirit of the original episodes.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 08 September 2018 - 11:48 PM

User is offline   ViDi 

"Halls of Doom" is already on the channel. I'll try to find the other stuff you mentioned. Thanks, Ninety-Six.

User is offline   Mark 

A map for DukePlus very loosely based on the first map of Doom2.
https://forums.duke4...p-for-dukeplus/

User is offline   ViDi 

Thanks, Mark. I'll try it.

User is offline   ViDi 

I wonder how many Quake themed maps are there? I know only three: Castle of the Damned, quake201, QuakeYB. It seems Quake is not so popular game to convert maps from.

This post has been edited by ViDi: 09 September 2018 - 04:29 AM

View PostViDi, on 09 September 2018 - 04:28 AM, said:

I wonder how many Quake themed maps are there? I know only three: Castle of the Damned, quake201, QuakeYB. It seems Quake is not so popular game to convert maps from.

Probably because taking a map designed for a true 3D engine and de-making it to a sector-based one, room-over-room or not, is rather difficult.

That being said, a part of my mind is yelling at me that I have, in fact, seen a Quake map in Duke, or at least a Quake-themed one...

That's a good question, i'm really interested in alien-themed maps

User is offline   ViDi 

There is Fusion Redux TC which is Quake-themed, if I'm correct.

User is offline   ViDi 

Hey guys, what Halloween-ish maps and mods do you know?

You'll have to define "Halloween-ish." Like, out-and-out horror, something with just a general spooky vibe, what are you looking for?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I think the most obvious would be Gates Motel from Total Meltdown.

I guess Yahtzee's Age of Evil fits the bill if you mute the (very upbeat) music.
Zykov Eddy's A Dream trilogy
Curtis Tuckfield's Duke Nukem 2000 TC

Decay and Graveyard if your computer has the specs for it.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 22 September 2018 - 05:09 AM

Can't forget Dracula's Castle from that old Duke Spookem thing.

Of course there's the legendary Red series, and It Lives if you want something more in the horror category. Octo Desperado is also fairly good for that.

There's also Haunted Nukem, which is more about creating a spooky atmosphere over much anything else.

User is offline   ViDi 

Ninety-Six, everything that could be good for Halloween is fine.

Dracula's Castle and The Thing are the only Halloween-ish maps I know so far. I tried to find that Duke Spookem but failed. I guess it was never released. Too bad.

Phredreeke, Ninety-Six, thanks guys.

User is offline   Mark 

I think there is one called The Haunting and a mod called Redrum based on The Shining movie

User is offline   ViDi 

Mark, thanks man.

View PostViDi, on 22 September 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

Dracula's Castle and The Thing are the only Halloween-ish maps I know so far. I tried to find that Duke Spookem but failed. I guess it was never released. Too bad.

Duke Spookem wasn't, no, but a map for it was: Dracula's Castle.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Gothic Cathedral
Hell-O-Ween
Rural Nightmare
Haunted Nukem
Draculas Castle
HAUNTED NUKEM :The Sanctum EP2

User is offline   Mark 

painkiller or 64painkiller, I forgot the exact name

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

one of the maps in Duke Hard had a 'slasher-blood-splatter' kind of theme - Flesh by Dukebot
another had a haunted style - Poormann's Library by High Treason

User is offline   ViDi 

Appreciate your help guys. Thanks.

User is offline   NNC 

Underwater base theme, which is one of my favourites. Hopefully we will see some official (Allen Blum) level of this theme in our lives.

So far those I know:

Caribbean Life's a Beach: Alien Remains (boss level) by Charlie Wiederhold
Last Reaction and Water Bases: E2L2-E2L7 (Somewhere Else, Green Harbour, Crystal Mine, A Gate to Atlantis, Atlantis Underground, Ace of Clover) by George W. Bernard
Underwater Sub Base (for the failed Duke 007 TC) by Jason Bredhauer
Bobsp4 by Alex Beyman Bob Averill
Aqua series by Ben Roffelsen (probably the last didn't really qualify)

User is offline   ViDi 

Thanks, Nancsi. I wonder if Aquatic Hive by Devastator can be qualified as an underwater base map.

User is offline   ViDi 

Compilation of Doom themed levels. Not a complete collection, of course.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I had a thought the other day (and this seems like the perfect place to post!). I've yet to check out those Doom themed maps you mention here, so maybe the answer to my question is already there, but here it is anyway.

The original Doom E1 plays with this trope of abandoned/infested human tech bases a la Aliens, and is very consistent in the way this is executed. Duke3D's E2 basically takes the same concept but gives it its own treatment that is different from Doom's -- sometimes more eerie and creepy, but more or less following the outlines seen in LameDuke and the videos of later, unreleased development builds (I wish there was more of the "realistic" areas like the armoury, locker room, cantina and sleeping quarters in the final version though).

I don't know how to put it more exactly, but the "feel" or Duke3D's E2 and Doom's E1 is different. In Doom, you are infiltrating vast, sprawling complexes infested with zombies and whatnot, while Duke gives you more verticality but the spaces are generally more narrow (the environments being space stations and all). I was wondering if there are Duke3D user maps with a "techbase" theme that go after the Doom "feel" without copying the actual layouts of Doom levels?

The closest I can think of are Baptized in Lunar Dust, Another Big Base Attacked, and Red 5, but I'm not entirely sure if that's what you're getting at. They all have roomier corridors and prefer to spread horizontally instead of vertically, but they still go for the halfway-sensible locations like the rest of Duke 3D instead of Doom's abstract architecture. I'm not quite sure if that's what you meant.

Otherwise there are numerous military base levels that might fit the bill, but I'd have to go look since admittedly a lot of those tend to run together in my memory.

EDIT: Spacetronic might be another one to look into. That one has a slightly looser (but still extant) sense of semi-realism and generally takes place on a single plane. There's also the WGSpace episode, if you can stomach the high amount of Battlelords.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 13 August 2020 - 04:11 AM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostMrFlibble, on 13 August 2020 - 03:48 AM, said:

I had a thought the other day (and this seems like the perfect place to post!). I've yet to check out those Doom themed maps you mention here, so maybe the answer to my question is already there, but here it is anyway.

The original Doom E1 plays with this trope of abandoned/infested human tech bases a la Aliens, and is very consistent in the way this is executed. Duke3D's E2 basically takes the same concept but gives it its own treatment that is different from Doom's -- sometimes more eerie and creepy, but more or less following the outlines seen in LameDuke and the videos of later, unreleased development builds (I wish there was more of the "realistic" areas like the armoury, locker room, cantina and sleeping quarters in the final version though).

I don't know how to put it more exactly, but the "feel" or Duke3D's E2 and Doom's E1 is different. In Doom, you are infiltrating vast, sprawling complexes infested with zombies and whatnot, while Duke gives you more verticality but the spaces are generally more narrow (the environments being space stations and all). I was wondering if there are Duke3D user maps with a "techbase" theme that go after the Doom "feel" without copying the actual layouts of Doom levels?

It's been too long since I last played that map for me to remember how many of those boxes it ticks exactly, but reading your post instantly reminded me of Ice Station Colossus: https://msdn.duke4.n...ticestation.php

Also I always thought The Last Pissed Time did a great job at simulating a coherent facility with some fancy new tech, very credible design and arguably a handful of head scratchers (so it's not as straightforward as a Doom map would be at all, if anything it's quite the complex piece): https://msdn.duke4.n...tpissedtime.php

I also very much back the mention of ABBA, and would like to say Billy Boy's and Zaxtor's maps in general tend to convey that feeling of immersion within a credible set piece, in my opinion. Another one I haven't played in maybe 20 years now that comes to mind is Decay: https://msdn.duke4.net/hotdecay.php (edit - just watched a video playthrough of the map on YouTube to refresh my memories, and now I think it may be on a scale that's too small to really qualify) and then the last Bobsp map also had a stronger sense of location than most levels but I guess if I keep digressing, I'm just going to keep listing every map I find has that as its strong point.

Most of Alejandro Glavic's maps I can tell also aimed at conveying a certain visual identity in-verse that alluded to being part of something bigger, but in reality he would focus on tiny detail so much the resulting levels always felt enclosed and boxy to me, more than they ever felt open and conceptually grand. Just throwing in the wild guess that such a style is exactly the opposite to what you're looking for?

This post has been edited by ck3D: 13 August 2020 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Thanks for the suggestions!

In the meantime I checked out almost all of the maps from ViDi's pack that use stock art, plus several with custom art and/or other content. Most of these go straight for replicating the layout of certain Doom maps (E1M1 and MAP01 being favourites among others), and frankly, they are mostly dull to play and not very good to look at. They just highlight how different the Doom level aesthetics and game balance are from Duke3D's.

I did like William Gee's reimagining of E1M1 though, and Zykov Eddy's work with MAP01.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options