Duke4.net Forums: Is George Broussard acting stupid or what? - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is George Broussard acting stupid or what?

User is offline   Ras 

View PostWieder, on May 28 2009, 09:10 PM, said:

Don't sweat it Ras... you weren't doing anything untoward. Unless it was yooooouuu who took my license plate brackets.

Hmmmm.... :)

:D

If only I had known about it. Heh. I think I did see a car in the Garland area with some sort of Duke Nukem personalized license plate, but it was actually the plates from the state of Texas and not the brackets. :D

View PostRas, on May 28 2009, 09:46 PM, said:

If only I had known about it. Heh. I think I did see a car in the Garland area with some sort of Duke Nukem personalized license plate, but it was actually the plates from the state of Texas and not the brackets. :)

Well my black Prius has (I haven't gotten California plates yet) a license plate of DNF-82 and I was in the Garland area from time to time. I didn't get it until after I had gone to Gearbox up in Plano, but was all over North Dallas so you may have still seen it.

http://www.dnf-82.com :D

User is offline   Kennerado 

• Honored Donor

Charlie was it similar to this one, which I think was Keith's?:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Kennerado: 28 May 2009 - 10:29 PM

User is offline   Ras 

That's the very plate I saw. I don't think it had the bracket at the time and may have even been a different car. It's been a long, long time.

User is offline   Redcard 

View PostRas, on May 28 2009, 06:08 PM, said:

I've explained this time and again, but I guess I'll have to run through it one more time. I've lived in the area longer than there's been an Apogee or 3DR. I pass that way every day and have since it was a lawyers' office. I paid 3DR no mind for the six years they've been there, but when the closure came up suddenly, people wondered if operations had ceased immediately or if there was any activity. I was able to answer that, yes, there was activity. Since I am not a "looney fan," Annie Wilkes-style stalker, all I was able to tell them was that, no, the building wasn't deserted. There were X amount of cars there. What they were doing there was their business. Enough people expressed interest that I gave them a report several days in a row. Enough people complained that I stopped.

I like you, Tea Monster. You do good work on the HRP and we've exchanged brief, friendly posts in the past. To that end, I was going to lighten this up with a self-effacing joke, but I'm tired of the whole thing. I'm sorry if you think less of me for glancing over and saying, "Yep, there are some cars there today," but since I haven't even mentioned it here in about two weeks, I'm not the one keeping it alive. I don't even read here that often since things have settled down and no new news is forthcoming, so I don't know if this is an ongoing outrage or what. If so, I'm sorry to hear it. I tried to stop it with my last message on the subject.

Though, the interesting thing is, someone still has been going by there on a daily basis.. since I thought it was you people were referring to as late as a few days ago.

View PostKennerado, on May 29 2009, 01:28 AM, said:

Charlie was it similar to this one, which I think was Keith's?:

Yeah, that's Keith's. Mine was similar, though the bracket said "You wanna dance?" at the bottom. :) The plate itself is a normal Texas license plate, just with DNF-82 as the numbers/letters.

User is offline   Ras 

View PostRedcard, on May 29 2009, 09:38 AM, said:

Though, the interesting thing is, someone still has been going by there on a daily basis.. since I thought it was you people were referring to as late as a few days ago.

Like I said, I don't read threads here on a regular basis. These 3DR closing threads have kind of been run into the ground. I still drive by there every day as I will even if 3DR abandons the building and it turns into a clothing shop or a mortuary. My last public mention of it was the second post in the thread about 3DR staying open after all.

User is offline   kaisersoze 

• Honored Donor

Just threw this up over on the 3dr boards figure I'd copy and paste it here also.

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.p...ed=1#post878498

Some of you are setting yourselves up for a massive letdown. It's over. This is not a massive conspiracy theory that will somehow be blown open at E3. It's time everyone moved on and forgot about DNF because it's simply not gonna happen. The closest you'll ever get to playing a "new" Duke game is from one of the handheld versions coming out.

And one last thing, there is no way in HELL Take 2 would go along with a "conspiracy" where they "sue 3drealms" in some elaborate plot to announce the game is actually done. They are a publically traded company and stuff like this directly affects their stock prices.

I've sadly moved on from ever hoping I'll get to play Duke Nukem Forever. I'll give you some really good advice: You should too.

Angelo, I like you but it really is over. No conspiracy, nothing.

You can always bet on Duke Nukem Forever..........for not coming out.

:)

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

Well, Kaizer, as I said, every end is also a new beginning and you know what Makr Twian said "The Rumros of my death are highly exeggrated" and a german saying goes "Those who said death, will live longer". Yes, we may not see DNF ever, but ya know what? Its not bad at all, because the IP is still alive, so we will see something from Duke in the future in one form other another.

Of course this isnt a conspiracy, but we should also not be all out negative. Hell, did you even read most of the post over at the 3DR forums? Never read so many insults and nasty stuff towards Gorge Brussard in a long time. I find that sad an pahtetic really, because we do not know what happend and ya know, most of the people who are angry now spend thier time willingly on these forums wating for the game, hell, even defending it etc. and now when the shit hits the fan, Mr.Brussard is suddenly the bad guy.

People, it was a danm game! Nothing more, nothing less, just a game and thats the problem here: no one seems to treat it as such, even the developers himself. Ya know, I actually admire Gorge and all the other 3DR guys that they could develope a gave for 12 years, but we all knew this could not end well.

Its sad, yes, but why greifing over spilled milk? All we can do now is to put our heads back in place, take a chill pill and look into the future.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Its one thing to get waaaaayyyy too het-up about a game, albeit a game you've waited 12 years for.

Its yet another thing again to whip up huge conspiracy theories about said game, its (former) developers and (former) employees.

But somehow convincing yourself that its all pretend and that we are going to be served up the complete game at E3 - completely barking mad.

User is offline   SpitFire 

"Georgeb3dr twitter" said:

Having a new garage door installed. One man installation. He makes it look easy. Bet he can't build a PC though!

At least he has a job.

Burn!

Anyways, GB isn't acting stupid, he's acting like I would if I where him. Play some Fallout 3, eat some BBQ, cruise around in the H2 scoping the ladies. Either he knows something we don't, or he's just that cool.

Maybe both.

View PostSpitFire, on May 30 2009, 01:09 AM, said:

At least he has a job.

Burn!

Anyways, GB isn't acting stupid, he's acting like I would if I where him. Play some Fallout 3, eat some BBQ, cruise around in the H2 scoping the ladies. Either he knows something we don't, or he's just that cool.

Maybe both.

Let's see..

You own a business. You make substantially more than your employees.. and you know if and when the money is going to run out if things don't change.

You don't think that he's not drawing a salary even now, right? He does still have a job. He's likely still paying himself.

User is offline   zwieback 

View PostRedcard, on May 30 2009, 05:00 AM, said:

Let's see..

You own a business. You make substantially more than your employees.. and you know if and when the money is going to run out if things don't change.

You don't think that he's not drawing a salary even now, right? He does still have a job. He's likely still paying himself.

yes and there's nothing wrong about that..

View Postzwieback, on May 30 2009, 06:52 AM, said:

yes and there's nothing wrong about that..

Nope. Nothing at all wrong with it.

It's just some people here think he's broke or without a job. Really, though? He's likely the only one who could have prepared properly for this... and so I bet he did.

I bet assets were moved out of that company months ago as things were made clear.

And that's fine. It's a privately owned company. They're allowed to do whatever they want with the books so long as they pay taxes.

User is offline   Spiker 

I don't know is GB is acting this way or another. But not many people know that I'm one of a few people on 3DR that actually have a comment from GB in his/her profile :)

"GBTwitter" said:

We've been discussing a Steam game bundle. It may be something we pursue when we get some more time.

Hmmm, working with steam is he?

Sounds interesting.

User is offline   leilei 

View PostSpitFire, on Jun 1 2009, 04:35 PM, said:

Hmmm, working with steam is he?

Sounds interesting.

Well obviously that could be just the new DOSBox repack masters Siegler was talking about, following id's suit

This post has been edited by leilei: 31 May 2009 - 11:53 PM

View Postleilei, on Jun 1 2009, 03:52 AM, said:

Well obviously that could be just the new DOSBox repack masters Siegler was talking about, following id's suit

I wouldn't doubt that, but, it is a foot in the door with Steam/Valve.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

It is also more money.

User is offline   spinx 

I hope George can talk about the future of this build of duke nukem forever soon...

it is almost a month ago that the shit started... in gaming time, a month is long...

User is offline   leilei 

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jun 1 2009, 09:58 PM, said:

It is also more money.

Yeah well, no one's really complaining about Left 4 Money 2.

• I have the power!

View Postleilei, on Jun 2 2009, 01:13 AM, said:

Maybe not here...but other places I go people are giving it hell because it should be an expansion.

Anyway, what is left of 3DR needs money to become more than what they are now. Adding their games to Steam adds that one more place of distribution.

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

If they can burn through all the profits of Duke3D, Max Payne, Prey, D3DXBLA, the sale of the Max Payne IP & whatever investments they had and still not get a game done, why would some games released on steam (that they've been selling all along anyway) make any difference whatsoever?

• I have the power!

it wouldn't really. Steam is a different market than their website though. People browse the Steam store more than the internet looking for games to try out. You don't discover a new game to play by going to the developer's website.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

http://twitter.com/georgeb3dr -- So let me get this straight. He fires "lays off" 99.99% of the company, but has enough money to gamble away and lose 15k in Vegas?

# Up to 15 k via a set of fours. Woot!!!!!
4:06 PM Jun 8th from TwitterFon

# I'm out. Had QQ. Someone raised to 400, cutoff raised 1500 more and I moved all in with my last 8k to find AA called me.

BTW, kudos to you if you understand the subtle image reference.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: leavingvegascage.jpg

User is offline   leilei 

View PostYatta, on Jun 10 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

http://twitter.com/georgeb3dr -- So let me get this straight. He fires "lays off" 99.99% of the company, but has enough money to gamble away and lose 15k in Vegas?

BTW, kudos to you if you understand the subtle image reference.

Could be the testing of in-game slot machines. :)

Besides, firing the team doesn't necessarily mean all the rights to the produced work are revoked. It could be a process that involves heavy secret internal beta testing and bug squashing in which they wouldn't take the risk for additional leakage as so far witnessed. But with the distracting lawsuit, there's only ridicule for those who still believe in DNF. :D

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I'm sorry, I just can't over this issue.

In my mind I have attempted to play the devil's advocate so as to spare myself from the desire to reprove George as I did above, but I just can't get around the fact that the man has the nerve to publicly admit to his ignorantly lavish splurges. If he so wishes to enjoy private life, he should by all means do so, but I am troubled in knowing that he bears no guilt in his conscience for gambling with people's lives by gambling with what could have potentially been a few more weeks of advances, or the savior of at least one faithful employee's job for an additional few months. Moreover, he posts this on Twitter without being conscious of his arrogance.

Once again, I try to play the devil's advocate in telling myself that a few thousand dollars is chump change wouldn't make a difference. But then I wonder, why must an expecting father to a second child, who, among a recession and a heartwrenching desire to remain with a company which he has shown great loyalty and dedication to, lose his position if his "friend" and longtime business colleague has the financial means to play poker with a third or possibly even half of this employee's yearly net income?

I should note that I exemplify Joe as a just instance for my exposing of George, and not because of my relationship with him, of which I have none. I will however disclose that I'm not worried as much about the other guys who might not have been with the company for as long, or who are actual developers, because it will be much more difficult to find a similar position as "community manager" versus "game designer." As far as I am aware, the more robust ex-employees have already easily found new positions elsewhere (but this is not the main point of my argument).

I have clearly nothing to gain except a feeling of satisfaction from speaking against George--in fact, I risk my website being blacklisted if he somehow takes offense to my post and decides to make the situation personal. However, I suppose the honest desire for justice and fairness can come at a price which I must be willing to accept, especially if I intend to show that I firmly stand by what I have said.

User is offline   dino 

View Postleilei, on Jun 1 2009, 09:13 PM, said:

made me lol

Yatta,

I'm sure George is using his personal money for what he is doing in his personal life. I'm sure 3DR has its own separate company account, and I'm sure GB's personal wealth could have done nothing to save the company nor should it have. It is absolutely asinine to think George screwed anyone over without having any sort of facts to back it up. At the end of the day, the funds for the continued development of DNF dried up. We don't know why, but this is about the only fact we have. I don't see George being arrogant on his twitter. He is doing what people do with their twitter, updating it with what he is up to in his personal life. He went to go play in the World Series of Poker, so what? Could it not be possible that George was saving and planning for this for quite some time? At the end of the day George is not going to let the collapse of the DNF team ruin his personal life. What George does personally and what he does professionally are two separate things, as they should be.

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

I will say that while I may disagree, I understand your point of view. I did note in my original post that I realize it's his private life, but my concerns were of an ethical nature, and as such, I can be argued against quite easily using a plethora of technicalities.

The situation is quite honestly observable from two completely different points of view, both of which I have tried to digest; hence my understanding of your post.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options