Duke4.net Forums: KickAss Duke - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KickAss Duke  "It's out !"

Hey guys, thanks for bringing back the discussion about that double damage bug... sorry for late answer, but i just did my tests to find the version in which this bug starts to happen...

And voilĂ :
2016 / 07 / 04 is the last "working" build ;
2016 / 08 / 29 is the build where the issue starts to happen ;
-- ( 2016 / 08 / 26 does not work at all )

Also, i found where DEF transparency started to fK up:
Left pic: 2016 / 05 / 05
Right pic: 2016 / 05 / 13

Posted Image

I think i'll do some report in the Bug sections of the forum..

In the DOS version the RPG does twice the damage even if the hitradius is zero. In fact it does exactly twice the damage if the hitradius is zero, killing a mini battlelord in 4 shots.

So I would say it's working as it should now.

Well, i don't think this behaviour is intended, as setting radius 0 should collapse the area with the result of not doing any "hitradius" instance, not compressing it to the impact point: this would force to define an halved damage on each projectile with radius 0.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 26 August 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

Well, i don't think this behaviour is intended, as setting radius 0 should collapse the area with the result of not doing any "hitradius" instance, not compressing it to the impact point: this would force to define an halved damage on each projectile with radius 0.

Also, RPG is one of the original hardcoded projectiles, and the custom projectile system, which is what is under discussion, has always been different. But, if they want to do it this way now, at least we will have a consistent behavior going forward. When people play older mods using a new EDuke32 build they will take double damage from a lot of projectiles, though.

When people play older mods using a new EDuke32 build they will take double damage from a lot of projectiles, though.

That's exactly the problem.

//EDIT: also, there is no mention about this decision in development log files

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 26 August 2018 - 01:16 AM

User is offline   ViDi 

I think you should remove stamina or make it optional. Maybe it's not that bad when you just playing the game, but it ruins the gameplay when you think about making a video playthrough.

This post has been edited by ViDi: 08 September 2018 - 01:59 AM

Some news! A larger update for september was in progress, but there are many things to do on it and i have many job and family business right now, so i decided to do a smaller release for the main reason of changing Eduke executable from 64b to 32bit version, including some faster things i already did. So:

Version Log - 1.02

! Switched Eduke exe version to 32 bit from 64 bit (wrongly included before)
- Fixed holoduke key behaviour - it must not work at all, not just turning off the holoduke
- Fixed enforcer damage - the last and fast fix for that didn't work, so it has been fixed in a different way
- Fixed position for "MTA" text for devastator
- Grenade launcher damage buff

http://www.mediafire...e_1.02.zip/file

ENJOY!

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 09 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

@ViDi

As i wrote on Moddb page:
- I don't know why is still not clear, but stamina in KA is not a random choice but a key feature involving combat, movement, some items and future features, so it will NOT be removed, like it or hate it XD; there are so many other mods with standard or faster speed/gameplay, while KA got its own.

Stamina will not be removed then, but i can insert an option for disabling stamina bar on HUD, or i can change totally how it's shown. Put on to-do list.

User is offline   ViDi 

@RichardStorm
Stamina bar doesn't bothering me at all.
I'll check out the newest version and maybe make some suggestions after that.

This post has been edited by ViDi: 08 September 2018 - 05:37 AM

Hello everyone,

I asked to update the first page on the thread with current version and changelog, so you can download it from there; i also encluded Moddb embedded buttons.

The next update is going to be the 1.1, most probably on october rather than september, where many fixes and variations will see the light since the 1.0, but also it will feature new content, with a minimum of 3 new weapons and some usermaps.

At this point i need to ask you more support, so i can do a good work with this mod.

The most important thing i'd ask is the revision of Eduke32 wiki pages, because i need to update the code with new functions and syntaxes (many KA code lines are very old), i cannot disable screen size keys, just for example.
The major code issue i recognize is the using of movesprite for gore physic, resulting in some clipping/disappearing issues (due to CLIPMASKs, i suppose).
There are still clipping issues on some projectiles, too, after an infinite debug i tried to do.
Also there is a transparency issues for hi-res sprites that broke my effects visuals, coming from a 2016 Eduke build, i reported it in bug sections.

Here is what is in the plans for 1.1 :

Changes :
- new weapons and maps
- toggle dual wield for handguns
- faster fire and reload for shotgun
- longer lasting bullet casings
- more intense burn/scorch effects with energy weapons
- more violence options
- adding tons of one-liners
- auto-aim for some melee skills
- adding slide move
- removing ironsights for pistol and m16
- inventory interaction notifications
- weapon list
- more HUD options, with original and Eduke-alt version
- nukem cola increased effects

Fixes:
- widescreen-friendly weapons
- attempt to include the latest Eduke build
- random immunity for Captains
- better fire/reload/pickup/select checks for weapons
- reload interruption on weapon pickups
- jetpack not working while shrunk
- no-stamina issues
- clipping issues for enemies and projectiles

You are asked to add more suggestions and bug-reporting in the meantime, i think i did a good sum but maybe i forgot something (also read the changelog for the fix i already did).

User is offline   ViDi 

Check kicks. I think Duke can't kick while he is stopping from movement.

In 1.0 i already prevented duke from moving while using quick kick and other moves, so are you refererring to this or to some other case? (Like head grabbed by cranes etc)

User is offline   ViDi 

I mean, Duke continues to move due to inertia for some time after you stop pressing movement keys and he can't kick while that. He can't kick while he moves due to inertia.

So i realized that i removed control movement while kicking at very last of the 1.0 release for some debug reason, my fault.

@Vidi
Well, your suggestion sounds a bit unnecessary to me but i'll consider it; moreover, this gave me the idea to make that kicking while moving (not running) will result in a small auto-dash.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 15 September 2018 - 12:56 PM

Nice job! My videocard complained a lot with the first release, now it is almost silent.

Something you may be interested to fix (the first one is more to laugh than a true problem, as it need cheats and or change some User's values :rolleyes: ):

https://youtu.be/SUJCiKHSm7U

@Battlelord

:rolleyes: :P

I did the fix on the spider bomb pickup text and on remote command for tripbomb; in reality it is the original pipebomb trigger, fired with fire key, but i added also remote-reload key as well.

The stuck/not firing weapons are already a problem sometimes and i put them on the fix list; it's the kind of bug i expect due to the complexity of checks i put, like if a weapon it's firing, reloading, attemp to be switched, picked up etc...

User is offline   Jim 

Will this get a campaign designed with it in mind?

It will, i hope.

KickAss Duke comes from an old project of mine named Duke Nukem Again, a campaign made of X levels and featuring all the content i'm putting (and i will put) in KA.

My idea is to add levels in different updates, starting from a collection of usermaps , then adding some KA-exclusive maps and DNAgain campaign at last; you are expected to see a strong presence of alien elements in such campaign, which will be most likely made of a single episode of 8-10 levels.

The main issue at maps being done in KA is that i'm not a mapper, so i'm forced to ask help to other people; same thing is true for many sprites i'll need.

I take this occasion to ask this kind of help from now.

Hi everybody,

I'm not dead, nor KADuke is dead for now. You see i'm not really into news, update medias and publicizing.

I said before i'd release the 1.1 version on October, but i had serious problem in family in the last months. Unfortunately, my father passed away this november. So, now many things will change for sure.

Anyway i'm quite fine right now, and i recently resumed my work on KADuke: i did a re-think on how all the content i have in mind will be split in the future updates, then i completed all the features and fixes i mentioned before ( moving only a little of them in future updates ).
The major things in terms of content you'll see in 1.1 are five new weapons ( 3 human and 2 alien ) and a major rework on HUD, with the re-introduction of classic and Eduke-alternative style (emulated, with the new KA features) and various tweaks on KA HUD, and a usermap selection (included in a new "episode" named "KickAss Tour").
The only things that remain to be done are the maps selection and testing, and some fixes that depends on things that i still don't know about the engine, or are not under my control:
Spoiler

I bet that the 1.1 release will be out this December anyway, so stay tuned !

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 04 December 2018 - 02:48 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sorry to hear about your loss, but it's good that you are back in action. I have a few general comments:

The Kickass Tour is a very good idea. It's important to give players a guided, structured experience. When I tried playing KAD before, I felt like I was supposed to make my own fun with it. Most players will quickly lose interest if they aren't given something to do.

I recall that you had enough new weapons for at least two games, maybe three. Some of them were very, very good. However, some were not as good and some lacked a clear gameplay niche. So, think about editing down your weapons to the best weapon set possible. Or, if you want to keep all of them, think about how you can incorporate all of them into your game without it being overwhelming or redundant.

Beware of making changes that nerf the player or reduce quality of life. A classic example would be adding a stamina meter for running or making the player hold down a key to run. Things like that can be fine if you are offering a new game that is not obviously not Duke 3D, but otherwise people tend to reject such changes.

I have to say, the full weapon set is the most personal mean of expression in this mod, and i think only a few weapons are redundant, as they differ in type of energy and damage effects for example. Also they explore concepts that i never saw until now in Duke.
Moreover, this is the first Duke Nukem mod featuring tons of weapons that can be all used within the same character, then is not like AMC TC or AA; i remember mods like AeoD and Russian Overkill for Doom, for example.
I admit i thought about a pickup/drop system with X slots (like DNF) to give players more control and a personal selection, rather than having all weapon at the same moment... but it is hard to manage, expecially for my ammo/magazine system. This idea is reserved for future updates, if it becomes necessary and viable.
// also, all weapons are still subject to changes and improvements

Now about gameplay differencies, KA comes from DNAgain, which i planned as a semi-TC with this difference in mind; right now, stamina system and environmental damage (with hazard suit) survived. Again, this is the first non-TC Duke mod that attempts these changes.
I know stamina is the most "controversial" feature, but i want players keep it for now, while i do various tweaks to it for making it more comfortable (for example, i doubled stamina regeneration and buffed Colas in 1.1).
The ultimate test for keeping or discarding the stamina system will be one of my updates, most probably the next, where i'll improve melee fighting introducing new combos and some close-range weapon.

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 04 December 2018 - 04:03 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Don't misunderstand me, you have done some excellent work and many of your weapons and effects are awesome. But from your response it sounds like your main goals are to make something you believe has never been done, or prove that you can do it, or express your creativity. There is nothing wrong with any of that, but those goals can get in the way of making the best experience for players. If something is worth sharing on a public forum, then it's worth thinking about the best way to present it so that players are more likely to respond positively.

No problem Dan, these are just my ideas, with veiled excuses to the Dukers about how i work on this mod, the idea behind it and how i propose/impose features to the players.

What you say is correct, and i take almost all feedbacks in consideration, indeed.

SO you thought this project was dead... But is not! :)

I just found time and concentration to complete this 1.1 release of KADuke only in the last month.

The biggest work was to pick many user maps, restrict the selection and find connections between endings and beginnings, to match as possible the idea of an episode (a "tour" indeed) rather than maps put at random. This has been a pretty recursive and tedious thing. Spent some time to add some music, too. //Serious Edit: 37 new maps!

There is plenty of new content: six (!) new weapons, one liners on enemy kills, new HUD features, better stamina system and display, removal of melee experience system, akimbo option for handguns and much other stuff.
Also i ended up with many fixes and adjustments based on feedbacks and my own investigations.
I have officially switched to a newer Eduke version, when the double damage bug was resolved, thanks to Eduke team!

Now everything is complete, and i'm testing it with the help of a bunch of friends.

So KADuke 1.1 will be out in about one week if things go fine <_<

This post has been edited by RichardStorm: 31 May 2019 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   stumppy84 

Awesome!! Can’t wait! Can we get a tease?

Of Course! Sorry for late answer btw

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Wircea 

Damn, that looks sick. Can't wait to try it out.

User is offline   Shawneth 

Absolutely love this mod - so much that I actually wanted to log into Duke4 again after years just to say good job!

I'm aware of how serious you take your stamina system. Personally like it for virtually everything except for impacting movement speed. Made a couple edits to your cons to remove the effect on movement alone and wouldn't mind posting it, but not entirely sure if that's against the rules or not.

Oh thanks for the feedback :D

Well yes, in my KA idea i want to make the gameplay a bit slower and more difficult, using run only when necessary, but many just hate it. At the beginning i even disabled autorun, then i resumed it after some feedbacks.

Right now i bet that many players don't get this KA aim, go autorun by default and deplete stamina rapidly.
I think in future i'll simply put the option for the stamina affecting movement speed or not; sounds like a cheat to me, but who cares...

Also i'm sorry for the waiting. but i'm busy with other life stuff, and i came across other bugs and the need of adding more "guiding" features for player (like better readme, level descriptions etc). Ended up testing all alone, too.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRichardStorm, on 30 June 2019 - 04:13 PM, said:

Well yes, in my KA idea i want to make the gameplay a bit slower and more difficult, using run only when necessary, but many just hate it. At the beginning i even disabled autorun, then i resumed it after some feedbacks.

Right now i bet that many players don't get this KA aim, go autorun by default and deplete stamina rapidly.
I think in future i'll simply put the option for the stamina affecting movement speed or not; sounds like a cheat to me, but who cares...

I don't remember if it was in this thread, but as I've said before, many DN3D players won't accept movement nerfs if what you are offering is supposed to be an enhancement to DN3D. If it was an entirely new game that didn't feel like DN3D, then they would accept a slower speed, as they would in any number of different existing games. The problem is that you are trying to take away something from the game that they already had.

If you were offering a different playable character in new maps that used a different tileset, then it would feel enough like a new game that people wouldn't be applying DN3D standards to it. I know how frustrating this is as a developer because I have been in exactly the same situation. Duke runs absurdly fast and it makes it too easy to escape from enemies or engage them in ridiculous ways, and that makes the gameplay less immersive.

Duke runs absurdly fast and it makes it too easy to escape from enemies or engage them in ridiculous ways, and that makes the gameplay less immersive.

That's the point.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes, I get it -- but my other point is, you could still nerf the movement if you can make the players feel like it's justified. Making an entirely new game is too much work, but, maybe you could try something else. For example, maybe Duke is wearing heavy armor in your mod, maybe he even has a mechanized suit that gives some health regen. Players might be more accepting if there was something physically different about the character like that.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options